Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18112383 times)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #22450 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:28 am »
I am more about the Death and Martyrdom than Bunches of flowers and pissy cards on what is now ANOTHER retail spendings day. What is the equivalent of the Grinch in February :horse:

I however have dropped a Rose or Two from the garden in a letterbox stalker style in the past :-DD

Tweezer Testing looks good so far too.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22451 on: January 11, 2019, 07:52:39 am »
I am more about the Death and Martyrdom than Bunches of flowers and pissy cards on what is now ANOTHER retail spendings day. What is the equivalent of the Grinch in February :horse:

I however have dropped a Rose or Two from the garden in a letterbox stalker style in the past :-DD
Right, I get it, you've had too many beers to take that on.  :popcorn:

Seems hotter here at home than it mostly was in Perth....been busy sweating the WA beers out filling my 10m3 firewood shed, around 1/2 way and 28C again here tomorrow.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22452 on: January 11, 2019, 07:58:06 am »
What is this to many beers you speak of?  >:D Still just on 30C outside.

Still Boring but better than static waves.

https://youtu.be/tDZVgeudpks
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22453 on: January 11, 2019, 07:58:41 am »
“Spending seasons” is what it’s all about now. If she’s not woo’ed by a kebab and a wink I’m not interested.

Not much test gear fun going on here. I had a clear day yesterday to sort out the 475A but got distracted on an old project. Thus the T440 laptop has new touchpad from a T450, extended battery, new internal battery, cleaned keyboard and a FHD IPS panel fitted. After the disastrous MacBook Air I bought and returned, this hits the spot.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #22454 on: January 11, 2019, 08:18:53 am »
What is this to many beers you speak of?  >:D Still just on 30C outside.

Still Boring but better than static waves.

https://youtu.be/tDZVgeudpks

I might be biased, but Lissajous patterns are more fun on a CRT 'scope.  :box:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22455 on: January 11, 2019, 08:28:53 am »
I have a crusty old dual beam Philips to renovate at some stage. I sort of have a plan for building a component tester  to add to it as part of the reno. but it is way down the long list. Would still consider grabbing a 400Meg Analogue if one turned up for the right $$ as a plaything and I really don't need more than what the Micsig can do.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22456 on: January 11, 2019, 08:48:40 am »
Similar situation.  I’m using a.TDS210 60MHz job for everything. If I need anything more it’s in the frequency domain universally. If a cheap 2465 turns up I’m on it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:50:22 am by bd139 »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22457 on: January 11, 2019, 09:23:24 am »

Victor Meldrew, of course. Good for all seasons.

How long before anonymous valentines messages fall into the #meToo category?
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22458 on: January 11, 2019, 09:33:22 am »
Common Grounded Two Sig Gens @30Meg Dare anyone to pick the one worth the most. Feelcrud at max isn't all bad. Wonder if I can return the Siglent  :-DD

The 10 Meg Square is a bit of a giveaway but still not to shabby.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22459 on: January 11, 2019, 09:36:26 am »
Blue one cost the most. Less abberation on those edges.

There's not a lot in it though.

Can you adjust the risetime?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22460 on: January 11, 2019, 09:44:02 am »
@greywolf Please make double sure that the iron tip is isolated from ground otherwise you will short the ram storing the calibration data. Beware that the chassis is connected to battery circuit as well and if the iron touches chassis and also at the same time, any part of the battery circuit you also can erase the calibration data from the ram.

There is a good video on YouTube that shows the best way to replace the battery, by attaching a temp battery directly to the ram while you replace the built in battery. Just search for HP 3458A and it should appear in the results.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22461 on: January 11, 2019, 09:44:49 am »
Minimum Rise Time is 8.4nS @1V for 10-90% according to the spec so it looks about right with the higher swing. Tautech might know if it can be tweaked?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22462 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:57 am »
@greywolf Please make double sure that the iron tip is isolated from ground otherwise you will short the ram storing the calibration data. Beware that the chassis is connected to battery circuit as well and if the iron touches chassis and also at the same time, any part of the battery circuit you also can erase the calibration data from the ram.

There is a good video on YouTube that shows the best way to replace the battery, by attaching a temp battery directly to the ram while you replace the built in battery. Just search for HP 3458A and it should appear in the results.

Yes I fucked that up when I did mine  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22463 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:32 am »
Common Grounded Two Sig Gens @30Meg Dare anyone to pick the one worth the most. Feelcrud at max isn't all bad. Wonder if I can return the Siglent  :-DD
A decent DSO will show up the difference.  :P

Minimum Rise Time is 8.4nS @1V for 10-90% according to the spec so it looks about right with the higher swing. Tautech might know if it can be tweaked?
They're generally a little better than spec.

IIRC rf-loop got better rise times in AWG mode, but you have to use the SCPI commands .....well he did for the older SDG1k series.
Have a look at Pulse mode and/or N# cycles.
The UI is pretty straight forward but there are a few layers of it.
The first thing I do in ones I keep is change the power ON setting to Last so it doesn't power up again @ Sine 1 KHz 4V p-p.  :=\  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22464 on: January 11, 2019, 10:39:55 am »
Interesting exercise running them together. For the sake of the few $ I would get for the Feelcrud secondhand think I will keep it as it will still produce a sort of square wave to 25Meg while the Siglent is software limited to 10 (knew that before buying). So a bit more playing with both then off to 'the cupboard' for it.

Haven't checked the frequency against my GPSDO but it is much closer than the Feeltech which is 20+Hz low.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22465 on: January 11, 2019, 10:45:53 am »
@greywolf Here is the video link I referred to to help you.  :-+

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22466 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:34 am »
Interesting exercise running them together. For the sake of the few $ I would get for the Feelcrud secondhand think I will keep it as it will still produce a sort of square wave to 25Meg while the Siglent is software limited to 10 (knew that before buying). So a bit more playing with both then off to 'the cupboard' for it.

Haven't checked the frequency against my GPSDO but it is much closer than the Feeltech which is 20+Hz low.
:bullshit:
Square and Pulse = 25 MHz.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDG2000X_DataSheet_DS0202X-E01D.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22467 on: January 11, 2019, 11:09:47 am »
Similar situation.  I’m using a.TDS210 60MHz job for everything. If I need anything more it’s in the frequency domain universally. If a cheap 2465 turns up I’m on it.

Well that's a change. You've said in the past that 24XX's "scare" you because they are processor controlled. What happen?  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22468 on: January 11, 2019, 11:18:14 am »
:bullshit:
Square and Pulse = 25 MHz.
http://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDG2000X_DataSheet_DS0202X-E01D.pdf

Strange I thought I read 10Meg unless I had the wrong datasheet. Yep 25Meg available  :-// Better RTFM  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22469 on: January 11, 2019, 11:23:44 am »
You guys and your shitty DSO's. This is what a 10MHz square wave is supposed to look like.  :popcorn: :-DD :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22470 on: January 11, 2019, 11:25:47 am »
You could get anyone to answer the phone with all that ringing  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #22471 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:33 am »
You could get anyone to answer the phone with all that ringing  :-DD

The ringing is a function of the source, not the scope. The source is a Heath IG-4244 Oscilloscope Calibrator and it clearly states in the manual that ringing on the trailing edge is normal. So that 2465 is faithfully reproducing the source.  :-+ :P

Wrong number!  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22472 on: January 11, 2019, 11:41:39 am »
That's typical heathkit excuse that.

"The shitty performance is shitty because we wrote it in the manual"

:-DD

It works though :)

Not sure why they didn't use a 7414 (not LS!) or something in that as the output buffer. Perfectly good for the job.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22473 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:33 am »
Not sure why they didn't use a 7414 (not LS!) or something in that as the output buffer. Perfectly good for the job.

No way would a 74xTTL give you that ristime and a clean top!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22474 on: January 11, 2019, 11:54:57 am »
I think my brain is scrambled from to many new toys ably assisted by to many Beers for the evening ;D

Tweezers are interesting definitely need to RTFM for them but in circuit they handle fairly well across a range of Caps.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf