Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18103335 times)

dxl, Jambalaya, TSCOLAN and 41 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #22375 on: January 10, 2019, 05:19:54 am »
I stuck a tentative deal for a lot that will make your mouths water...more details Sunday after I pick it up. T.E.A....

Don't get to talk much, eh? But you tease real good. :-DD

T.E.A.S.E.   Test Equipment Addiction: Score Extreme  The act of securing a significant collection of test gear singled handedly.  This achievement is then compounded by then making interested parties wait before the detailed reveal.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #22376 on: January 10, 2019, 05:27:07 am »
I stuck a tentative deal for a lot that will make your mouths water...more details Sunday after I pick it up. T.E.A....

Don't get to talk much, eh? But you tease real good. :-DD

T.E.A.S.E.   Test Equipment Addiction: Score Extreme  The act of securing a significant collection of test gear singled handedly.  This achievement is then compounded by then making interested parties wait before the detailed reveal.

LOL. I closed a tentative deal for getting the good on Sunday....AND OH MAN, how good it will be, 1st PICS will be here.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #22377 on: January 10, 2019, 05:33:55 am »
Call me impressed 300MHz signal on a 100Mhz Specced Chinese made scope from an Evilbay RF sig gen. Well down on actual signal to be expected and full band width shown with averaging turned on. Never had the gear to push the Micsig before.

That deserves a Beer in the sunshine :popcorn:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #22378 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:42 am »
LOL. I closed a tentative deal for getting the good on Sunday....AND OH MAN, how good it will be, 1st PICS will be here.

Can't wait for the show.  :popcorn:

Added to the Glossary. You're getting really good at these, Brumby.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22379 on: January 10, 2019, 06:37:45 am »
I pretty much ran out of reasons to buy multimeters for myself, so I simply started buying them for others. It feels good doing things for others. That some real alteaism. Proper charitea.

Not that we need reasons, mind.
I'm already rationalising keeping this one for myself and getting another one for the intended purpose. This is going better than expected. :palm:

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #22380 on: January 10, 2019, 06:42:02 am »
@ tautech

That Tek dual beam scope is sexy.  :-+

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22381 on: January 10, 2019, 06:47:09 am »
Perhaps tangentially related to test equipment, but it is really mind boggling that we can still talk to the Voyager probes. The NASA/JPL Deep Space Network station in Madrid is, at this writing, receiving a downlink from Voyager 1. 159 bits/second data rate. 7.45 GHz carrier at a received power of -155 dBm.

https://eyes.nasa.gov/dsn/dsn.html

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22382 on: January 10, 2019, 06:52:25 am »
Perhaps tangentially related to test equipment, but it is really mind boggling that we can still talk to the Voyager probes. The NASA/JPL Deep Space Network station in Madrid is, at this writing, receiving a downlink from Voyager 1. 159 bits/second data rate. 7.45 GHz carrier at a received power of -155 dBm.

Actually watched this yesterday only a few more years of Power then onward in silence.

https://youtu.be/aalfNIvQaJ4
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22383 on: January 10, 2019, 07:03:29 am »
I pretty much ran out of reasons to buy multimeters for myself, so I simply started buying them for others. It feels good doing things for others. That some real alteaism. Proper charitea.

Not that we need reasons, mind.
I'm already rationalising keeping this one for myself and getting another one for the intended purpose. This is going better than expected. :palm:

That's the spirit. :-+

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22384 on: January 10, 2019, 07:05:01 am »

Actually watched this yesterday only a few more years of Power then onward in silence.

https://youtu.be/aalfNIvQaJ4

Aw, only a few more years of nuclear power? Didn't realize that. I guess it was a pretty small fuel supply. But, hey, no lockups in 40+ years of operation.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22385 on: January 10, 2019, 07:08:34 am »
Clearly not Windoze Based Software  :horse: Not sure of what memory it is using may well have been magnetic?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22386 on: January 10, 2019, 07:09:01 am »
Aw, only a few more years of nuclear power? Didn't realize that. I guess it was a pretty small fuel supply. But, hey, no lockups in 40+ years of operation.
I think a large part of it is the thermocouples wearing out.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:18:48 am by Mr. Scram »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22387 on: January 10, 2019, 07:11:33 am »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioisotope_thermoelectric_generator

...which is NOT the same as the experiments with miniaturized fission reactors that both the US and Soviet Union experimented with back during the cold war. However, Kilopower is a newer design which is much lighter than those. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilopower

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22388 on: January 10, 2019, 07:12:58 am »
Also it's been in the news recently that Oak Ridge National Laboratory has restarted plutonium-238 production for RTGs.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22389 on: January 10, 2019, 07:51:24 am »

I was honestly hoping we’d have built something that overtook voyager and left it in the dust now. The fact we’re looking at 40 year old tech here is simultaneously amazing and depressing.

The RF power involved is pretty amazing though. Big ass antennas. Lots of gain!

Was reading something the other day about Aricebo having EIRP of something like 2TW! Can toast a satellite in orbit.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:53:40 am by bd139 »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22390 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:53 am »
I was honestly hoping we’d have built something that overtook voyager and left it in the dust now. The fact we’re looking at 40 year old tech here is simultaneously amazing and depressing.

Was reading something the other day about Aricebo having EIRP of something like 2TW! Can toast a satellite in orbit.
Perhaps the best part is that none of these capabilities existed at launch. The ground stations were built while it was heading for Jupiter and the software was modified along the way too.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22391 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:18 am »

I think meaningful deep space exploration is never going to be terribly economical unless and until someone figures out how to travel at relativistic velocity. The stuff of science fiction so far....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22392 on: January 10, 2019, 08:25:08 am »
Voyager has about 68k of plated wire memory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plated_wire_memory

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, beanflying

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22393 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:39 am »
Call me impressed 300MHz signal on a 100Mhz Specced Chinese made scope from an Evilbay RF sig gen. Well down on actual signal to be expected and full band width shown with averaging turned on. Never had the gear to push the Micsig before.

That deserves a Beer in the sunshine :popcorn:

Yep, impressed, too.   :-+
If this is the signal generator you showed in one of your last posts (the one with the cracked fascia), I'm a bit surprised, too.
I'd expect a (more) rectangular signal because the base band is 2.2GHZ to 4.4GHz and that just divided down for the lower frequencies/bands.
That would intend that there's filtering in the output stage matching the output band..? Or is this "just" filtering by the bandwidth limitation of that scope?

What a pity it doesn't have a 10MHz reference input.

I'm looking forward to your tear down photos. In fact we're at eevblog here where we first take it apart..?   >:D   :-DD
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:34:56 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22394 on: January 10, 2019, 08:36:16 am »
Thread and some initial pictures up here on the ADF4350 https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/adf4350-adf4351-based-oled-rf-source-generators/

I haven't done any poking around with the scope yet but I did find a reference to a TCXO 25MHz being used

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22395 on: January 10, 2019, 09:10:47 am »
Does the ADF box have any ALC? Interested in one if it has a power output I can calibrate.

Currently lurking on something old and cranky as a substitute but would rather something a little more conpact.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22396 on: January 10, 2019, 09:25:12 am »
I will have a look around tomorrow and sort out what is what on the board. If it is a 25MHz input then feeding it with a tweaked 10Meg shouldn't be that hard. The only Output power control is set by the keypad so no ALC as far as I know.

There is several Arduino based front ends and software to drive the ADF chips so rolling your own is possible then do whatever you need extra in software/hardware I guess.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #22397 on: January 10, 2019, 09:30:37 am »
Added to the Glossary. You're getting really good at these, Brumby.

So it seems.

Should I be worried?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #22398 on: January 10, 2019, 09:57:34 am »
Actually, I just checked the glossary for definitions under TEA - and I would like to amend the title to:

TEASE   Test Equipment Acquisition: Score Extreme

Makes for a more consistent entry.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22399 on: January 10, 2019, 10:13:21 am »
Actually, I just checked the glossary for definitions under TEA - and I would like to amend the title to:

TEASE   Test Equipment Acquisition: Score Extreme

Makes for a more consistent entry.
TEASE is coincidentally the plural of TEA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf