Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18093147 times)

shakalnokturn, Vince and 22 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #21950 on: January 02, 2019, 11:16:51 pm »
Had some tea time today and have written a list of objective purchases, or a new year’s resolution list for 2019... here we go:

1. Synthesised RF signal generator good to 1.2GHz
2. 34401A
3. Decent modernish SA, HP/Agilent
4. 53181A
5. E3632A if one comes along
6. 200Mhz tek digital scope if one comes along.

One moon needs to be screwed to a stick  :-DD

That would be a blue moon I take it then with a wish list like that?  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21951 on: January 02, 2019, 11:20:29 pm »
If I get three of them I’ll be happy :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #21952 on: January 02, 2019, 11:27:34 pm »
"Democracy can't work. Mathematicians, peasants, and animals, that's all there is - so democracy, a theory based on the assumption that mathematicians and peasants are equal, can never work. Wisdom is not additive; its maximum is that of the wisest man in a given group."  -- Robert Heinlein

”You don’t count brains by counting noses.” ~ Ben Franklin

“Democracy is the worst system of government possible; except for all the others.” ~ Damifino

mnem
“Making anything foolproof is impossible; fools are too damned inventive.”
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 11:35:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21953 on: January 02, 2019, 11:35:09 pm »
If I get three of them I’ll be happy :)
Well I certainly hope that the rest of 2019 dramatically improves for you, the last few weeks must have been a living hell for you.

That stabbing you said happened while you were sleeping never made it onto national TV, unless I missed it but the other one and the shooting did, and to think that your street looks like a normal typical estate road. Not that our street is any better, we had a woman, either pissed or high on drugs yelling and screaming abuse at a young lad who lives a few doors away, very dignified  :palm: >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21954 on: January 02, 2019, 11:44:57 pm »
@ URI My tweezers aren't due until Tuesday 8th.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21955 on: January 02, 2019, 11:56:10 pm »
Fecking postman pissed me off big time today, lying bastard. This morning I gets an email and a text message telling me that the new control panel for my dishwasher was being delivered today. Great I thought, I'll fix it after I take down the Christmas decorations.

Sometime later in the morning I get another email telling me that they had tried to deliver it but I was not in  :wtf: it went on to say that I should refer to the card that they left for me??

I had been downstairs all f..ing day, nobody had rang the doorbell or knocked on the door and as it turned out never left a fecking card either.  I rang the local sorting office and complained, they said that they would leave a message for the delivery manager about it and also that they would re-deliver the parcel on Friday.

This afternoon I get another email informing me that my parcel was now available for collection at the local collection office on the other side of the bleeding city, so what happened to the re-delivery then???

Now do I go and collect it or wait till Friday and see what transpires??? >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #21956 on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:14 pm »

Want to start a Tweezer thread when our new toys get in? Mine are due late next week at this stage.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #21957 on: January 03, 2019, 01:58:01 am »

Want to start a Tweezer thread when our new toys get in? Mine are due late next week at this stage.
Nah, just carry on with the ‘truth’ one you started.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #21958 on: January 03, 2019, 02:35:57 am »
Woooh, ...

I'm not trying to copy bd but I wasn't writing here
1. because of touring parents/parents in law over X-Mas
2. had a few days marriage-on-hold after a hefty marital argument that kept me away from TEA and anything other too.   :(
3. have to catch up all the postings   :scared:

Fixed that second issue now I hope. A marriage [EDIT]seems to be is real work sometimes.

...third item now fulfilled.   :phew:
The slightly off topic postings made it easier than it would have been with only TEA-related ones.   >:D

Heh, heh. Who knew being off-topic could be helpful. Yay!

TEA again: I'm currently looking for a sig gen because I realised I can't do complete performance and functional tests of all of my counters (225MHz/300MHz) with my equipment.
The highest frequency I can generate is 80MHz (HP 3335A) but I would need at least 300MHz.   :palm:
If I'd pimp my new HP 53132A with the 3rd channel option (3GHz) I'd need a sig gen going up to at least 3 GHz..   :scared:   :-DD

Classic TEA alright! :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21959 on: January 03, 2019, 02:41:32 am »
Well this year is shit so far. Outbid on one amateur radio auction, two test gear auctions, RS delivered a whole consignment of parts to someone three doors away who is on holiday until March (apparently according to another neighbour) and I had to return my new MacBook because the keyboard started bouncing keys and was basically totally unusable after only two weeks :--

I've haven't seen much of interest TEA-wise on this side of the pond so far this year. No matter. Got plenty to keep me busy for a while. The only thing I have to spend is a few eBay Bucks I earned last

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21960 on: January 03, 2019, 02:43:10 am »
Well this year is shit so far. Outbid on one amateur radio auction, two test gear auctions, RS delivered a whole consignment of parts to someone three doors away who is on holiday until March (apparently according to another neighbour) and I had to return my new MacBook because the keyboard started bouncing keys and was basically totally unusable after only two weeks :--

I've haven't seen much of interest TEA-wise on this side of the pond so far this year. No matter. Got plenty to keep me busy for a while. The only thing I have to spend this month is a few eBay Bucks I earned last quarter. Maybe a DMM case from China.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21961 on: January 03, 2019, 02:51:32 am »
Allergies have been kicking my scaly dwagon arse; I feel like I've got the freaking flu.  |O

That sounds like a major fire hazard. :-DD

Offline LapTop006

• Supporter
« Reply #21962 on: January 03, 2019, 03:53:49 am »
This afternoon I get another email informing me that my parcel was now available for collection at the local collection office on the other side of the bleeding city, so what happened to the re-delivery then???

Now do I go and collect it or wait till Friday and see what transpires??? >:D

You go and collect it, just to find out they don't have it, only to return home to a note saying they tried to deliver it but nobody was in.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21963 on: January 03, 2019, 04:26:28 am »
File this away for safe keeping.....

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/Russian_tunnel_diodes

Added to POI under Electronics Miscellany.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21965 on: January 03, 2019, 05:25:57 am »
bd139 – “Had some tea time today and have written a list of objective purchases, or a new year’s resolution list for 2019... here we go:”

1. Synthesised RF signal generator good to 1.2GHz  -----I picked up a nice HP8657A (1040Mhz) locally for under $50
2. 34401A     -----Found a like new HP3457A w/relay module board that checks out in cal locally for $150
3. Decent modernish SA, HP/Agilent   ----none yet
4. 53181A  ----Got a 53132A with high stab OXCO and 3Ghz channel with fairly bright display for $425
5. E3632A if one comes along  ----Bought 2 with problems cheap and one is now 100%
6. 200Mhz tek digital scope if one comes along. ------Bought a 200Mhz Siglent SDS-1202X (non E) cheap locally

I did recap the HP53132A power supply with high temp high quality electrolytics. A couple had started to bulge so I replaced them all.

The first HP E3632A had suffered physical damage. It had the front panel push buttons pushed in but it worked if you used a pen to push the buttons through the slots in the front panel. I had to dismantle it and resecure the display/switch PC board to the front panel. I had to be creative on getting the board back in place but there were no dents or scratches on the front and after the repair it looked and worked great.

Some of the stuff I found on Craigslist and quite often there aren’t many local people looking for high end stuff so you can get a deal if you are patient and willing and able to do some repairs. I got a couple of HP3586B selective level meters, one with a loud fan and one that didn’t power up. The seller wasn’t into electronics and wanted them gone so he sold me the dead one for $50. It turned out to be a bad contact on a connector that had to be rebent.  All of these HP3586 meters have NiCd batteries that have leaked long ago and need a good cleaning on one of the boards.

These are some of the things I bought over the last year. I can't pass up a 'good buy' and have a backlog of stuff that I'm working on. At least it keeps me off the streets as they say.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21966 on: January 03, 2019, 05:56:35 am »
Woohoo! I've caught up with the thread.

Anyone in the USA want to rescue this classy old bit of kit or need an extra Anchor? $25 plus frt. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickok-Model-288X-Universal-Crystal-Controlled-Signal-Generator-With-manual/143013190396

Well, now that's a nifty piece. I'd grab it if I was in Ohio.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21967 on: January 03, 2019, 07:45:18 am »

I've haven't seen much of interest TEA-wise on this side of the pond so far this year. No matter. Got plenty to keep me busy for a while. The only thing I have to spend this month is a few eBay Bucks I earned last quarter. Maybe a DMM case from China.
Yeh, Banggood have one on offer at the minute, looks like a autoranger version of the Beside ones I got this time last year, I'm tempted to get one myself for my collection  :palm:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:43:51 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21968 on: January 03, 2019, 07:46:26 am »
Allergies have been kicking my scaly dwagon arse; I feel like I've got the freaking flu.  |O

That sounds like a major fire hazard. :-DD
Only if it makes him cough a lot :-DD
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:43:15 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #21969 on: January 03, 2019, 07:54:18 am »
I feel more TEA coming...wanting to get an HP 8568B to complement my 8569B microwave SA...  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21970 on: January 03, 2019, 09:13:53 am »
bd139 – “Had some tea time today and have written a list of objective purchases, or a new year’s resolution list for 2019... here we go:”

1. Synthesised RF signal generator good to 1.2GHz  -----I picked up a nice HP8657A (1040Mhz) locally for under $50
2. 34401A     -----Found a like new HP3457A w/relay module board that checks out in cal locally for $150
3. Decent modernish SA, HP/Agilent   ----none yet
4. 53181A  ----Got a 53132A with high stab OXCO and 3Ghz channel with fairly bright display for $425
5. E3632A if one comes along  ----Bought 2 with problems cheap and one is now 100%
6. 200Mhz tek digital scope if one comes along. ------Bought a 200Mhz Siglent SDS-1202X (non E) cheap locally

I did recap the HP53132A power supply with high temp high quality electrolytics. A couple had started to bulge so I replaced them all.

The first HP E3632A had suffered physical damage. It had the front panel push buttons pushed in but it worked if you used a pen to push the buttons through the slots in the front panel. I had to dismantle it and resecure the display/switch PC board to the front panel. I had to be creative on getting the board back in place but there were no dents or scratches on the front and after the repair it looked and worked great.

Some of the stuff I found on Craigslist and quite often there aren’t many local people looking for high end stuff so you can get a deal if you are patient and willing and able to do some repairs. I got a couple of HP3586B selective level meters, one with a loud fan and one that didn’t power up. The seller wasn’t into electronics and wanted them gone so he sold me the dead one for $50. It turned out to be a bad contact on a connector that had to be rebent.  All of these HP3586 meters have NiCd batteries that have leaked long ago and need a good cleaning on one of the boards.

These are some of the things I bought over the last year. I can't pass up a 'good buy' and have a backlog of stuff that I'm working on. At least it keeps me off the streets as they say.

You did good there!

Supply and demand is a big problem here. Not much supply and a lot of demand which makes me sad :(

Got new washing machine today. Life is good again  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21971 on: January 03, 2019, 10:14:30 am »

Got new washing machine today. Life is good again  :-+

Is she a redhead?  :o :palm: :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #21972 on: January 03, 2019, 10:15:59 am »
Woohoo! I've caught up with the thread.

Anyone in the USA want to rescue this classy old bit of kit or need an extra Anchor? $25 plus frt. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hickok-Model-288X-Universal-Crystal-Controlled-Signal-Generator-With-manual/143013190396

Well, now that's a nifty piece. I'd grab it if I was in Ohio.

Ditto. A little too far for a road trip.  :--
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21973 on: January 03, 2019, 10:33:41 am »

Ditto. A little too far for a road trip.  :--

It said in the add they will post it >:D

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21974 on: January 03, 2019, 10:38:43 am »
Is she a redhead?  :o :palm: :-DD :-DD

No had enough trouble with one of those already in my life :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf