Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17743194 times)

Robert763, Vince, jemotrain, wolfy007 and 71 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #18975 on: November 02, 2018, 06:49:33 pm »
To everybody ...

There's a difference between addressing a situation and not being calm. You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. It's just removing the eggshell from the omelette, that's all.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #18976 on: November 02, 2018, 06:50:13 pm »
And if I didn't have a dealer signature it would have been just another valid members question.
Get off your high horse !
As I said, that'd be just another valid member's question if you didn't have a history of injecting the brand into any discussion you can. Instead of me getting off my high horse, how about you owning up to what you do?
Oh FFS, where did I mention the brand I represent ?

So I pop into a thread and all you can see is my signature ? Really ?  ::)
Have you had a bad day or something ? Or are you stalking me ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18977 on: November 02, 2018, 06:56:07 pm »
I'm back from Colorado and when I got home my pre-retirement gift to myself had been delivered! ............

And one with this big bright display didn't even get a look in ?  :-//

Actually I did consider the Siglent. But there's no stock in the USA with a 1 to 3 month order lead time.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18978 on: November 02, 2018, 06:58:27 pm »
There's a difference between addressing a situation and not being calm. You've got to crack a few eggs to make an omelette. It's just removing the eggshell from the omelette, that's all.

You don't remove the eggshell from the omlette by taking a shit in it.

Can you both take this elsewhere.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18979 on: November 02, 2018, 06:58:55 pm »

Are we going to pretend that's not a Siglent interface and you weren't plugging it? Come on, let's not pretend. Everyone understands what's going on. We get that you're trying to make a living pushing these boxes. It'd just be nice if it were a bit less incessant. That's all. No need for all the emotion.

It's probably a good idea to also emphasize this isn't a one time deal. It's a long standing pattern that's being addressed.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18980 on: November 02, 2018, 07:01:32 pm »
And if I didn't have a dealer signature it would have been just another valid members question.
Get off your high horse !
As I said, that'd be just another valid member's question if you didn't have a history of injecting the brand into any discussion you can. Instead of me getting off my high horse, how about you owning up to what you do?

Well to be perfectly honest, I didn't even twig that it was Siglent, I just took it as a an alternative display which is what I suspect was your intention  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18981 on: November 02, 2018, 07:15:23 pm »

Are we going to pretend that's not a Siglent interface and you weren't plugging it? Come on, let's not pretend. Everyone understands what's going on. We get that you're trying to make a living pushing these boxes. It'd just be nice if it were a bit less incessant. That's all. No need for all the emotion.

It's probably a good idea to also emphasize this isn't a one time deal. It's a long standing pattern that's being addressed.
I think in fairness, it was just an alternative display rather than a sales pitch, the logistics are not in meds favour anyway seeing as he lives in USA and tautech is in New Zealand and tautech will already be well aware of this  :horse:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18982 on: November 02, 2018, 07:09:05 pm »
You don't remove the eggshell from the omlette by taking a shit in it.

Can you both take this elsewhere.
I'm sorry if someone's feelings got hurt by pointing out the obvious. Improving the SNR ratio benefits everyone, even if it rocks the boat a bit right now. Although the rocking mostly seems to stem from it hurting when a sore spot is touched. I hope that when emotions have calmed a bit, people will find it really has been intended as constructive criticism.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18983 on: November 02, 2018, 07:19:03 pm »
I think in fairness, it was just an alternative display rather than a sales pitch, the logistics are not in meds favour anyway seeing as he lives in USA and tautech is in New Zealand and tautech will already be well aware of this  :horse:
It's not just this single example. I can understand people will feel I'm pressing the issue if they think it's just about a single post. Unfortunately emotions have made it into something much bigger than it should have been.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18984 on: November 02, 2018, 07:13:49 pm »
It may be obvious but the SnR in this thread is pretty low anyway. The point is that adding more noise to get rid of noise isn’t going to work. Have a word on the side or report it to mods if you have a problem.

Incidentally I don’t have a problem with it. My view on Siglent is pretty clear however.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:21:50 pm by bd139 »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18985 on: November 02, 2018, 07:21:25 pm »
Oh yes, right.  ::)
Did you even look at the foot of this pic to see what other gear Med has ?
We both know exactly what you're doing, so let's not belittle each other. Providing functional information to people who are looking for are have purchased devices is fine and sometimes even very welcome, but the insistent pushing of a brand is just spam. What use is it questioning someone's choice when he already has something he's obviously very happy with on his desk? You could argue "just curiosity" if the brand you're pushing wasn't so obviously injected into any and every conversation, whether it's suitable or not.

Don't get me wrong, you're occasionally helpful. It'd just be nice if you could tone down the sales pitch. You seem to be hurting the brand more than you're helping it anyway.
And I thought I was the only one annoyed by it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18986 on: November 02, 2018, 07:22:20 pm »
I don't mind that tautech brought up the Siglent because had it been available I would have ordered it. I think it has a much better display than the Rigol....which it turns out don't work anyway.

To everybody ...

I like cats but them are some ugly ass kittens. They are the new "designer" series with the pug noses and cropped ears. Some people think it's cute. It's not.   :--

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18987 on: November 02, 2018, 07:23:18 pm »
Perhaps I inflamed it with the fugly kitties :(

Incidentally if I had to pick between the rigol or the siglent I’d choose an HP  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18988 on: November 02, 2018, 07:17:12 pm »
You're certainly not, but unfortunately mentioning it seems to raise all kinds of hell.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18989 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »

Incidentally if I had to pick between the rigol or the siglent I’d choose an HP  :-DD

:-DD :-DD

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #18990 on: November 02, 2018, 07:27:38 pm »
Oh yes, right.  ::)
Did you even look at the foot of this pic to see what other gear Med has ?
We both know exactly what you're doing, so let's not belittle each other. Providing functional information to people who are looking for are have purchased devices is fine and sometimes even very welcome, but the insistent pushing of a brand is just spam. What use is it questioning someone's choice when he already has something he's obviously very happy with on his desk? You could argue "just curiosity" if the brand you're pushing wasn't so obviously injected into any and every conversation, whether it's suitable or not.

Don't get me wrong, you're occasionally helpful. It'd just be nice if you could tone down the sales pitch. You seem to be hurting the brand more than you're helping it anyway.

If the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. :)

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18991 on: November 02, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »
It may be obvious but the SnR in this thread is pretty low anyway. The point is that adding more noise to get rid of noise isn’t going to work. Have a word on the side or report it to mods if you have a problem.

Incidentally I don’t have a problem with it. My view on Siglent is pretty clear however.
The added noise is temporary, the improvement hopefully permanent. I feel discussing issues as adults is preferred over calling the forum police. That's more of a last resort measure and they're busy fending off the spammers anyway.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18992 on: November 02, 2018, 07:31:00 pm »

:-DD :-DD
Snap on that brother  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18993 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:45 pm »
If the only tool you have is a hammer every problem looks like a nail. :)
That's probably an apt reference. I assume it's more a case of different viewpoints than malicious intent, which is probably where part of the emotion comes from. I was just out to highlight the other viewpoint.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18994 on: November 02, 2018, 07:26:40 pm »

The added noise is temporary, the improvement hopefully permanent. I feel discussing issues as adults is preferred over calling the forum police. That's more of a last resort measure and they're busy fending off the spammers anyway.

I'm not taking sides in that discussion at all but let me just say that your annoyance should have been taken to PM's rather than out in the open.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18995 on: November 02, 2018, 07:59:14 pm »
Actually I did consider the Siglent. But there's no stock in the USA with a 1 to 3 month order lead time.  :palm:
I can check on this if you like, that sort of lead time seems stupid for a popular model.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #18996 on: November 02, 2018, 08:01:01 pm »

Quite right. About the brands that is.

Quite wrong about the cats. Pictures like that momentarily raise my blood pressure, since they remind me of the reaction they would cause in my daughter's dog.

It is a Jack Russell with a bit of dachsund, so it can see them lurking under cars - and by Dog does it pull hard and suddenly! Off lead, despite only having 6"/15cm legs, it can really shift. Chasing a ball it peaks at 36km/h; yes I did strap a GPS receiver to his harness :) Yup, that's test equipment on legs.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #18997 on: November 02, 2018, 07:58:00 pm »
I can check on this if you like, that sort of lead time seems stupid for a popular model.

I would appreciate that. :-+  Amazon says it's a 1 to 3 month order time. If there's an alternate and reliable source I would certainly consider it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18998 on: November 02, 2018, 08:10:26 pm »

I would appreciate that. :-+  Amazon says it's a 1 to 3 month order time. If there's an alternate and reliable source I would certainly consider it.
Going on their website Saelig certainly indicates 4-6 weeks delay however there's no similar indication in the USA shop:
https://store.siglentamerica.com/product/sdm3055/

Anyways, email sent to US GM to find the current state of affairs.  :-//
Might get an answer before the end of your Friday whereas it's already Sat here.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18999 on: November 02, 2018, 08:27:15 pm »
Boat anchor warning

So i have got around to fixing my HP 8566B Spectrum analyzer (100Hz to 22GHz). I have been putting it off because this is a real heavyweight category boat anchor at 50kg.

The symptoms ware that upon applying power the fans spin up regardless of the power switch position and nothing lights up on the front panel. After some investigation i found that the bottom RF section does this even when nothing else is plugged into it.

Well after a consultation with the service manual i found a blown fuse for the 22V standby supply. Turns out this supply is responsible for switching some relays according to the front panel power switch. Yes that's right, a spectrum analyzer from 1980 has a soft power switch.

I couldn't find a 1A replacement fuse in the right size so i stuck in a 2A one and the symptoms disappeared and i had a LED lit on the 22V rail. Woho! So because i didn't want to leave the wrong fuse in i simply soldered the caps of the large glass fuse to a smaller 1A fuse so that it would fit inside. This is only 24V DC at low current so the large glass fuse really is not nececery.

Alright get the behemoth back into its rack and hook it up. Powers on just fine now. Winner winner chicken di...wait.. REF UNLOCK. You bastard.. yep waveform is definitely dancing around on the screen. At this point i was genuinely worried as the clock synthesis circuitry is a huge complicated mess spread over like 4 or 5 cards in the card cage.

Oh phew... turns out the problem was that the BNC jumper cable in the back that loops back the internal 10MHz OCXO reference back in has gotten a bad connection. No error messages anymore and waveform is stable. Now we do have chicken dinner  :-+ :-+ :-+

« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 08:29:50 pm by Berni »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf