Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18111403 times)

TobyG and 59 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #18700 on: October 27, 2018, 08:01:38 am »
I miss flying.   I earned my Gliders license at 14  at Brown field in Sand Diego Ca. in 1972.  Earned my private pilot at 16.  Parents sold their plane (Cherokee 140 N6360W) When I Was 17.  I never flew again. Sigh. 
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #18701 on: October 27, 2018, 09:28:10 am »
I miss flying.   I earned my Gliders license at 14  at Brown field in Sand Diego Ca. in 1972.  Earned my private pilot at 16.  Parents sold their plane (Cherokee 140 N6360W) When I Was 17.  I never flew again. Sigh.
Flying is another addiction like TEA. It should be called FOA (flying object addiction). I did my PPL(H) when I was 54, and now I love to fly around in an AS350B3. Why dont you try to renew your license ? Its never too late for some fun.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #18702 on: October 27, 2018, 03:22:14 pm »
I've been a wannabe pilot ever since I read Stranger to the Ground as a kid; that drew me into some of Bach's more abstruse metaphysical stuff as well. Came close to buying into a Cessna at one point and an R-22 much later in life.

The Cessna put me off once I got into it as it was a lot more of a restoration project than I wanted to get into; and my potential partners were not the least bit confidence inspiring in mechanical aptitude, so I was pretty positive I'd be the only one actually mechanicking on it.

I was sorely tempted still... I've long been one of those people attracted to saving machines from the scrapyard... and this was right in the middle of my "resto-rod" period when I was bankrolling everything I did by rebuilding thrashed-out musclecars and a few late 40s-50s lead sleds, so the idea of learning yet another mechanicking discipline was viscerally exciting. It was when I discovered how fast even the simplest things siphoned money away... easily a factor of ten over hotrodding, and I was a shameless chrome/billet addict... that I fully grokked what my mother had tried to warn me; "A plane is a hole in the air you pour money into."

Later, the R-22 seemed like fun... until I spoke with a number of people who actually flew them and discovered just what an atrocius-handling little monster they are; one even told me flatly that he couldn't imagine a worse choice to learn to fly on. Every one I spoke with told me that my money was better spent on lessons in a "real helicopter" with enough power to get out of its own way and a proper synchronised cyclic. (IIRC correct term?) I was in my 30s then; and having a few "adventures" under my belt, I was actually aware of my own mortality, so decided to let discretion be the better part of valor.   :P

Fast-forward a few years and I fell into the 80" Piper Pawnee, and that's when I got back into RC aircraft; just before the boom in FPV. They too are "a hole in the air you pour money into"; fortunately they're a smaller hole, so only cost about as much as hot-rodding did back in the day...  :-DD

mnem
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I..."

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18703 on: October 27, 2018, 03:31:25 pm »
Good you stayed away from the R22. There is not a single plan B in this machine, and its one of the most unsafe helicopters worldwide. Robinson fought battles in court NOT to implement crash proof fuel tanks and only did so after FAA ordered it. Leave the "Robbie cut" to others.

Offline g0mgx

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18704 on: October 27, 2018, 04:21:07 pm »
So today I need to officially join the ranks of TEA.

I just bought my number 8 vintage TEK 'scope (to go with the 7 I already have that I dont use). These vintage 'scopes look great next to the 3 digital 'scopes I have..... and the 3 spectrum analysers..... and the signal generators....

How do I make the first step in recovery?

|O |O

Why the bloody hell have I bought another one? I thought I had this licked.....

Mark
G0MGX

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18705 on: October 27, 2018, 04:25:24 pm »
Good you stayed away from the R22. There is not a single plan B in this machine, and its one of the most unsafe helicopters worldwide. Robinson fought battles in court NOT to implement crash proof fuel tanks and only did so after FAA ordered it. Leave the "Robbie cut" to others.

Some sobering discussion here... and may of the photos are still online. People who know them a lot better than me. Makes you wonder why Robinson isn't bankrupt from lawsuits; they are "The race to the bottom" incarnate.   :palm:

They're alive & well here in Houston; a couple months ago or so I remember seeing 5 of them on trailers caravaning down I-10. I assumed they were going to a show or a fly-in. Remember seeing individual ones on trailers several times right after Harvey, while downtown was still flooded as well. Probably going to get some AP for someone.

mnem
Children are my expensive habit now.  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18706 on: October 27, 2018, 04:28:49 pm »

I just bought my number 8 vintage TEK 'scope (to go with the 7 I already have that I dont use). These vintage 'scopes look great next to the 3 digital 'scopes I have..... and the 3 spectrum analysers..... and the signal generators....

|O |O

Mark
G0MGX

Go elsewhere; someplace logic and common sense still have domain. This place is to TEAS as Cheers is to Al-Anon:-DD

mnem
"Here's tooya, doorknob."

The following users thanked this post: g0mgx

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18707 on: October 27, 2018, 05:13:22 pm »

|O |O

Mark
G0MGX

Welcome!

If you'd read the previous 740 pages you'd already knew that there is no recovery. By participating here you're doomed to worsen this condition.  ;)

3 spectrum analyzers ... wish I had one to start with!

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18708 on: October 27, 2018, 05:44:15 pm »

Some sobering discussion here... and may of the photos are still online. People who know them a lot better than me. Makes you wonder why Robinson isn't bankrupt from lawsuits; they are "The race to the bottom" incarnate.   :palm:

They're alive & well here in Houston; a couple months ago or so I remember seeing 5 of them on trailers caravaning down I-10. I assumed they were going to a show or a fly-in. Remember seeing individual ones on trailers several times right after Harvey, while downtown was still flooded as well. Probably going to get some AP for someone.

mnem
Children are my expensive habit now.  :o
The only tempting thing of an R22 is the price tag. You may consider it an expensive coffin.  >:D

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18709 on: October 27, 2018, 05:53:30 pm »
It's here! It's here!  Finally! :-DMM

My De5000 LCR meter arrived.  I just opened the box.  Haven't even taken it out yet.  I'm so happy because I've been waiting since September 30th., when I ordered it.    It got stuck in New York for 5 days.  :rant:

Opening that box was probably as therapeutic as the koo-koos who drill holes in their heads to let the demons out.   :-DD
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 06:09:50 pm by Housedad »

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18710 on: October 27, 2018, 05:59:36 pm »

|O |O

Mark
G0MGX

Welcome!

If you'd read the previous 740 pages you'd already knew that there is no recovery. By participating here you're doomed to worsen this condition.  ;)

3 spectrum analyzers ... wish I had one to start with!

Yes, keep buying and posting and in no time flat you'll be making insane posts like the fruitcake :scared: in the post above this one. :-DD

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #18711 on: October 27, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »

Welcome! You've come to the right place. ;D

Sounds like a nice collection you've got going there.

|O |O

There's no recovery here. We just try to keep up with each other as a support mechanism. Misery loves company — we're that company. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #18712 on: October 27, 2018, 06:42:44 pm »

This thread may interest you:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/vintage-tek-restoration-pictures-by-martin/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 07:07:55 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #18713 on: October 27, 2018, 07:04:01 pm »
The Cessna put me off once I got into it as it was a lot more of a restoration project than I wanted to get into; and my potential partners were not the least bit confidence inspiring in mechanical aptitude, so I was pretty positive I'd be the only one actually mechanicking on it.

I was sorely tempted still... I've long been one of those people attracted to saving machines from the scrapyard... and this was right in the middle of my "resto-rod" period when I was bankrolling everything I did by rebuilding thrashed-out musclecars and a few late 40s-50s lead sleds, so the idea of learning yet another mechanicking discipline was viscerally exciting.

Unless you really know what you are doing, restoration aircraft seem like a short cut to being an oversized lawn dart.

It was when I discovered how fast even the simplest things siphoned money away... easily a factor of ten over hotrodding, and I was a shameless chrome/billet addict... that I fully grokked what my mother had tried to warn me; "A plane is a hole in the air you pour money into."

I'm sure yermum would never have used the more pithy "if it floats, flies or f***s, it is cheaper to rent than buy".

Later, the R-22 seemed like fun... until I spoke with a number of people who actually flew them and discovered just what an atrocius-handling little monster they are; one even told me flatly that he couldn't imagine a worse choice to learn to fly on. Every one I spoke with told me that my money was better spent on lessons in a "real helicopter" with enough power to get out of its own way and a proper synchronised cyclic. (IIRC correct term?) I was in my 30s then; and having a few "adventures" under my belt, I was actually aware of my own mortality, so decided to let discretion be the better part of valor.   :P

Gliders seduce the air into doing what the pilot desires. Helicopters beat the air into submission.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18714 on: October 27, 2018, 07:20:38 pm »

Oh, that's easy. The first step is to admit the problem. The second step is to remove temptation and signal (to yourself) that you are on the road to recovery. That can be achieved either by culling the herd or by increasing the genetic diversity of the equipment.

If you have any problems with the latter, I'm not too far from Belper to offer help.

I once asked why I needed 3 scopes. The only accurate answer was "you've got to have 3 before you can have 4".

I now have 11 (plus 4 TDRs). Several are parts mules, one will never be used, one is in the repair queue waiting for me to finish both my Solartron 7075s. (There's another rabbit hole to disappear down!).

Now I'm sure you need to examine your cables, connectors, PCBs to see how good/bad they are. (People are beginning to remember me at hamfests since I use the very portable Tek1502 to test cables/connectors before buying them :) ) Is it worth considering swapping a TDR for an SA?
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18715 on: October 27, 2018, 08:25:42 pm »

I was sorely tempted still... I've long been one of those people attracted to saving machines from the scrapyard... and this was right in the middle of my "resto-rod" period when I was bankrolling everything I did by rebuilding thrashed-out musclecars and a few late 40s-50s lead sleds, so the idea of learning yet another mechanicking discipline was viscerally exciting.

Unless you really know what you are doing, restoration aircraft seem like a short cut to being an oversized lawn dart.

It was when I discovered how fast even the simplest things siphoned money away... easily a factor of ten over hotrodding, and I was a shameless chrome/billet addict... that I fully grokked what my mother had tried to warn me; "A plane is a hole in the air you pour money into."

I'm sure yermum would never have used the more pithy "if it floats, flies or f***s, it is cheaper to rent than buy".

Gliders seduce the air into doing what the pilot desires. Helicopters beat the air into submission.

Depends ... I good helicopter is a nice feel to fly. You may even try some aerobatics with it (see Red Bull). When I started to fly (I did it after retiring from an insurance IT business) I checked which helicopters came down often and why. This ruled out all the Robinsons, so at the base the machine left was an AS350B3. I looked it up, and the NTSB and others said its a very safe machine. When I asked to start my lectures on this one the people at the school thought I was slightly gaga; They were right. This machine was so overpowered (2.8tons MTW, just an instructor and myself, some fuel, no cargo) that it took and endless time to comfortably hover this beast. The good thing was that after some time you come to know what all the reserves are good for, and then you love them. So happy end, and still safe.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18716 on: October 27, 2018, 09:20:52 pm »

Depends ... I good helicopter is a nice feel to fly.

You're not going to convince me :)

You may even try some aerobatics with it (see Red Bull).

May? Where's the fun in that? Glider pilots do some aerobatic manouevres where the aircraft "departs from controlled flight" before going solo.

It really is quite fun deliberately entering three spins in a short flight, the first at 1500ft, the last at 1000ft. For those that haven't done it, the ground is rotating once every 3 s, you are descending at ~100ft/s, and to recover you have to deliberately dive at the ground to regain airspeed. A little counter-intuitive, the first time.

Or my daughter flew a loop (with instructor behind her) before going solo.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:23:32 pm by tggzzz »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18717 on: October 27, 2018, 10:23:12 pm »

Depends ... I good helicopter is a nice feel to fly.

You're not going to convince me :)

You may even try some aerobatics with it (see Red Bull).

May? Where's the fun in that? Glider pilots do some aerobatic manouevres where the aircraft "departs from controlled flight" before going solo.

It really is quite fun deliberately entering three spins in a short flight, the first at 1500ft, the last at 1000ft. For those that haven't done it, the ground is rotating once every 3 s, you are descending at ~100ft/s, and to recover you have to deliberately dive at the ground to regain airspeed. A little counter-intuitive, the first time.

Or my daughter flew a loop (with instructor behind her) before going solo.

now try this with a glider. Or rather: dont try this at home. :). My problem was that I dont fit into a glider (120kg), otherwise it looks like fun :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18718 on: October 27, 2018, 10:27:01 pm »
* Somber moment*

I've been in that Squirrel Hill Synagogue; they used to have a youth outreach program with board games. I fancied myself a bit of a chess player, but learned Backgammon instead...

mnem
*Sigh*
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:50:43 am by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18719 on: October 27, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »
I was involved in a youth outreach program back in the mid 1990s. This unfortunately had a negative result as I became the local Magic: The Gathering pimp. I get them all hooked on paper crack. It got so bad one of the local schools banned the game after a fist fight over it  :palm:

Not my finest moment that.

Talking of crack, I fucked up another calculator. It just saw me coming and died. I get through them like notepads. Literally all the calculators on the market now are shit. Very annoyed. About 15 years ago I had a nice collection of the things but nope decided that was a waste of time and space. Idiot!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:34:20 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18720 on: October 27, 2018, 10:59:34 pm »
 :wtf:Do you do to them things then? Buy a decent calculator and it ought to last a lifetime of "normal" use  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18721 on: October 27, 2018, 11:18:09 pm »
They get pretty heavily used by me. All those things you see people do in LTspice I tend to do by hand  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #18722 on: October 27, 2018, 11:27:38 pm »
They get pretty heavily used by me. All those things you see people do in LTspice I tend to do by hand  :-DD
Does that hand interface with the calculator through a brick, by chance?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18723 on: October 27, 2018, 11:34:40 pm »
Does that hand interface with the calculator through a brick, by chance?
I was going to say a club hammer  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18724 on: October 27, 2018, 11:35:58 pm »
Honesty I think it’s the fact that all the calculators these days are made by a little Chinese company called kinpo as they are the lowest bidder. Half the keypad has died. Sooooo annoyed.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf