Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17610534 times)

Forward, MVSantos, TSCOLAN, Robert763 and 36 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #17425 on: October 02, 2018, 07:35:58 pm »
Just for shits and giggles I've just secured myself an old Metrix MX-52 meter which can function in a similar fashion to a VTVM, same input impedance and the fast updating 52 segment bar graph can be put into centre zero mode making it ideal FM radio alignment, IP667 rated.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #17426 on: October 02, 2018, 08:48:00 pm »
@bitseeker: hover mowers are a con perpetrated by a cruel bastard many years ago.

I know, but they fit the topic oh so well. ;D

(I remember the TV commercials for them.)
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17427 on: October 02, 2018, 08:50:28 pm »
@bitseeker: hover mowers are a con perpetrated by a cruel bastard many years ago.
Not too sure what your saying here, I have used them successfully now for a number of years, and they do work well.

Congratulations! You're the first person I know who has actually used one.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17428 on: October 02, 2018, 08:53:53 pm »
All the recent HP 3478A talk made me buy another one. Supposedly, it doesn't power on. It'll be interesting to see if it's a quick fix or a total waste of time. But for only $40 including shipping, how could I resist? :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17429 on: October 02, 2018, 09:06:39 pm »
All the recent HP 3478A talk made me buy another one. Supposedly, it doesn't power on. It'll be interesting to see if it's a quick fix or a total waste of time. But for only $40 including shipping, how could I resist? :palm:
Probably a simple quick fix.
I'm watching another [emoji44]
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17430 on: October 02, 2018, 09:09:41 pm »
Not too sure what your saying here, I have used them successfully now for a number of years, and they do work well.

Simply loads of people here use them, they are so easy to use.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17431 on: October 02, 2018, 09:14:48 pm »

Indeed, at that price it would be rude not to.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17432 on: October 02, 2018, 09:18:10 pm »
Good one, Cerebus.

You know you have TEA when...

it's rude not to buy it. :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #17433 on: October 02, 2018, 09:25:57 pm »

In another life some 4 decades ago I used to fix Flymo's (amongst other stuff) and here in NZ they were mostly used for mowing steep banks. Problem was unless you wore good footwear it was easy to loose footing and slide into its path with disastrous consequences for your toes. They fell out of favor as a result of accidents.
Lawns with matted grasses like Kikuyu were a real problem for the Flymo as over time the lawn 'pile' got thicker and thicker to the point it was like walking on a mattress.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #17434 on: October 02, 2018, 09:29:19 pm »
I'd have jumped on it, and I'm the cheap bastahd.

Pssst.... there's some chemistry BS :bullshit: happening  over here... you might want to get in there and pee in somebody's cornflakes.   :-DD

mnem
mmm.... cornflakes...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17435 on: October 02, 2018, 09:39:39 pm »
In another life some 4 decades ago I used to fix Flymo's (amongst other stuff) and here in NZ they were mostly used for mowing steep banks. Problem was unless you wore good footwear it was easy to loose footing and slide into its path with disastrous consequences for your toes. They fell out of favor as a result of accidents.
Lawns with matted grasses like Kikuyu were a real problem for the Flymo as over time the lawn 'pile' got thicker and thicker to the point it was like walking on a mattress.
I test drove one as a youth on the farm from the local tractor place. The front yard was a bit uneven; it's rural after all. Headed over a large exposed tree root I'd always just rolled over with a regular mower; the front edge tucked in, but I kept walking and in half a step the deck was near vertical and my shins mere inches away from the roaring blades. Probably 20 paces was all it took to unsell me on the damned things.

mnem
*punt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17436 on: October 02, 2018, 09:43:26 pm »
I'd have jumped on it, and I'm the cheap bastahd.

Pssst.... there's some chemistry BS :bullshit: happening  over here... you might want to get in there and pee in somebody's cornflakes.   :-DD

mnem
mmm.... cornflakes...

I’d be on that as well. Good price.

Just throughly took the 87V to bits. Checked it over, looked in all the nooks and crannies for crimes. Pristine. Actual HRC fuses, not tin foil. Cal is spot on for every range matching my U1241C to 1 count. Party time!

U1241C has held cal well. It’s actually two months out now and is bang on.

Going to need a DMMcheck with all these DMMs!

I test drove one as a youth on the farm from the local tractor place. The front yard was a bit uneven; it's rural after all. Headed over a large exposed tree root I'd always just rolled over with a regular mower; the front edge tucked in, but I kept walking and in half a step the deck was near vertical and my shins mere inches away from the roaring blades. Probably 20 paces was all it took to unsell me on the damned things.

mnem
*punt*

For me it was the early 1980s. My job was to mow the lawn at home. Shoving this bastard thing around was hard work. Lived in a rural area next to a farm so the grass had all sorts of crap growing in it. Round one was pick up all the dog shit. Round two was mow the lawn. Round three was clean the dog shit you missed off your socks.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #17437 on: October 02, 2018, 09:55:03 pm »

Maybe you can part out the buttons and knobs to the rest of us if it's beyond repair.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17438 on: October 02, 2018, 10:00:17 pm »
Talking of buying stuff, I’m convinced eBay has wrecked itself here in the U.K.  They have been doing lots of offer weekends where selling fees are max £1. There is literally nothing interesting at all listed when those aren’t on now. Not a damn thing.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17439 on: October 02, 2018, 10:19:02 pm »

These days they mostly all use plastic blades so footwear and toes are quite safe  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17440 on: October 02, 2018, 10:44:25 pm »
Probably a simple quick fix.
I'm watching another [emoji44]

You guys!   I don’t even have my first one yet. Let me get a foothold before everyone starts stocking up. 😂

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17441 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:12 pm »
Good one, Cerebus.

Borrowed from an old colleague of mine who when invited to have another pint would almost invariably reply "Be rude not to".

An ironic sideways swipe at rather old-fashioned British politeness in not refusing social invitations no matter how painful accepting would be.

Mildred: Arthur's wife invited us to go and see their son's school play.
George: Do we have to?
Mildred: It'd be rude not to.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #17442 on: October 02, 2018, 11:51:48 pm »
Talking of buying stuff, I’m convinced eBay has wrecked itself here in the U.K.  They have been doing lots of offer weekends where selling fees are max £1. There is literally nothing interesting at all listed when those aren’t on now. Not a damn thing.

Here in Germany its the same. What is there on eBay is overpriced, or even worse with semiconductors, a blunt fake.
They even sell fake LM317 or LM7805 chips ! Some years ago it was a good place to buy reasonable stuff, but not anymore.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17443 on: October 02, 2018, 11:56:51 pm »
Good one, Cerebus.

Borrowed from an old colleague of mine who when invited to have another pint would almost invariably reply "Be rude not to".

An ironic sideways swipe at rather old-fashioned British politeness in not refusing social invitations no matter how painful accepting would be.

Well, I cater to American rudeness....."Fuck you, I ain't going"  :-DD >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17444 on: October 03, 2018, 12:27:22 am »
These days they mostly all use plastic blades so footwear and toes are quite safe  :-DD
Tell that to everybody who's died from a plastic shiv or had a finger laid open with plastic cutlery. ;)

In Other News...

https://www.zdnet.com/article/some-apple-laptops-shipped-with-intel-chips-in-manufacturing-mode/

Fucking seriously? Here, lets ship cars with the BT firewall disabled, or TVs that track everything you watch and send it home to the mothership.  |O

Oh... wait...  :palm:

mnem
Not without my shins.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17445 on: October 03, 2018, 12:33:01 am »
Good one, Cerebus.

Well, I cater to American rudeness....."Fuck you, I ain't going"  :-DD >:D
Yeah, this is one thing that concerns me with moving to Toronto... one thing I've heard over and over again is that in social situations, Canadians are "polite to a fault".

How the fuck am I going to teach my kids to be polite so they're not ostracized when I'm just 6 kinds of rude, crude, ignorant & socially unacceptable?    :-DD

mnem
Okay, 7 kinds... fuck me.  :palm:

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #17446 on: October 03, 2018, 01:05:51 am »
How the fuck am I going to teach my kids to be polite so they're not ostracized when I'm just 6 kinds of rude, crude, ignorant & socially unacceptable?    :-DD

mnem

I guess I need to stay away from Canada.  I am a stereotypical Jersey Boy, with all that goes with it. :box:  Fuck me?  Noooooooooo, fuck you! :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17447 on: October 03, 2018, 01:06:22 am »
All the recent HP 3478A talk made me buy another one. Supposedly, it doesn't power on. It'll be interesting to see if it's a quick fix or a total waste of time.

Maybe you can part out the buttons and knobs to the rest of us if it's beyond repair.  :-DD

Buttons, feet, front panel, LCD, voltage ref. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff to part out, if it comes to that. :-+

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #17448 on: October 03, 2018, 01:12:09 am »
Buttons, feet, front panel, LCD, voltage ref. I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff to part out, if it comes to that. :-+

It'll probably power on and work fine. Whoever sold it probably didn't have the outlet strip it was plugged into switched on.

TEA people benefit greatly from those types.  ;)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #17449 on: October 03, 2018, 01:31:01 am »

mnem

I guess I need to stay away from Canada.  I am a stereotypical Jersey Boy, with all that goes with it. :box:  Fuck me?  Noooooooooo, fuck you! :-DD

And the horse you rode in on.  :rant: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf