Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17389095 times)

jerryk1234 and 52 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #14175 on: August 05, 2018, 03:41:54 pm »
Think my spare box went for £20.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #14176 on: August 05, 2018, 08:38:39 pm »

Figures...

Ordered a new backlit keyboard to match the new dragon-head mouse I got for my birthday, since I've been wanting backlit again for a while and my venerable old IBM/Lexmark dinosaur is fulla crumbs & starting to smell funky...

Amazon offered, and I actually GOT Sunday delivery.  :-+ Nice looking keyboard, decent backlighting. Chiclet keys, (meh) but better than average travel and fair level of tactile for membrane. I would probably have lived with it since "paid for" and backlit dragon head logo... but 1/4 of the effing keys don't work.  |O

Keyboard ordered, received, tested and returned defective, and new keyboard ordered BEFORE THE CHARGE EVEN CLEARED MY ACCOUNT.  :palm:

mnem
*keyed-off*

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14177 on: August 05, 2018, 09:04:36 pm »

Figures...

Ordered a new backlit keyboard to match the new dragon-head mouse I got for my birthday, since I've been wanting backlit again for a while and my venerable old IBM/Lexmark dinosaur is fulla crumbs & starting to smell funky...

Amazon offered, and I actually GOT Sunday delivery.  :-+ Nice looking keyboard, decent backlighting. Chiclet keys, (meh) but better than average travel and fair level of tactile for membrane. I would probably have lived with it since "paid for" and backlit dragon head logo... but 1/4 of the effing keys don't work.  |O

Keyboard ordered, received, tested and returned defective, and new keyboard ordered BEFORE THE CHARGE EVEN CLEARED MY ACCOUNT.  :palm:

mnem
*keyed-off*
So the new keyboard is the RGB one at the bottom yes?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #14178 on: August 05, 2018, 10:08:24 pm »
I wanted a KBD backlit with plain white and never could find one.  :(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14179 on: August 05, 2018, 10:15:53 pm »

If you don't mind hacking an existing laptop keyboard into something USB and desktop-able then the old Aluminium Apple G4 PowerBooks had excellent backlit keyboards. You can probably pick up a 'for spares or repair' one (laptop) for a song.

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14180 on: August 05, 2018, 10:34:19 pm »
If you don't mind hacking an existing laptop keyboard into something USB and desktop-able then the old Aluminium Apple G4 PowerBooks had excellent backlit keyboards. You can probably pick up a 'for spares or repair' one (laptop) for a song.

Oh OK thanks for the idea.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14181 on: August 05, 2018, 10:46:04 pm »
T440 FTW:

The uneven lighting is all the crud under the keys, not shoddy lighting  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14182 on: August 05, 2018, 10:58:48 pm »
If you have a RGB keyboard, is it not possible to get a whitelight from them?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14183 on: August 05, 2018, 11:04:46 pm »

Not that I ever saw for sale, but I might have missed one. It's the bling factor I guess - white is not blingy.  :-//

I did manage to get one that does light yellow which is close enough I suppose.

The uneven lighting is all the crud under the keys, not shoddy lighting  :-DD

Ewwwww!  :o

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #14184 on: August 05, 2018, 11:31:57 pm »
I must say that I like every time bd139 goes, "I scoffed at the thought of paying for a __________ so I knocked one up quickly with some crap I had lying around." And it ends up looking and working much better than just "some crap." :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14185 on: August 05, 2018, 11:52:32 pm »
You haven't seen the 10Kg cardboard box full of disasters where the idea didn't work :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14186 on: August 06, 2018, 12:37:38 am »
Fair enough. I won't look. :-DD

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14187 on: August 06, 2018, 12:53:37 am »
stuck 8 new 1000uf, 35v caps in the 5v section of my hp54502 smps.  (thanks to a boot in the ass from nmen).  it came back to life and completed a self cal. 

wooooohoooooo!  the old pig lives! (and will sit beside my 54504). 

just saw a 54503 for cheap on ebay.  naaaawwwwww.  that would be the act of a truly twisted mind.

went to the hamfest in berryville va this morning and despite my best intentions brought home a nixie clock.  the nice lady behind the table said the magic words  (5 bucks).  how could a confessed nixie addict resist a bargain like that?  to make it worse she even apologized and said it probably didn't work.  turns out she was wrong. 

but not as wrong as the guy who sold me the no name chinese solder wick.  didn't think it was possible, but solder actually beads up on it and falls off without sticking.  forget about wicking.  unbeeelievable!

free range primate

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14188 on: August 06, 2018, 01:02:39 am »
Ah! That clock is super nice. Congrats on that I wish I had one.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14189 on: August 06, 2018, 01:13:17 am »
That clock is cool!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14190 on: August 06, 2018, 01:27:51 am »
Very cool, indeed. OK, if anyone runs across a bunch of (not just one) Nixie clocks in the future, be sure to make a group buy to redistribute here. ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #14191 on: August 06, 2018, 04:13:05 am »
    (SNIP)  Keyboard ordered, received, tested and returned defective, and new keyboard ordered BEFORE THE CHARGE EVEN CLEARED MY ACCOUNT.  :palm:

mnem
*keyed-off*
So the new keyboard is the RGB one at the bottom yes?
Both are RGB; the new one is the smaller one lit up in rainbow colors, the old one is shown lit up in red.

If I were going to do that, I'd do one of the spares from my old ToughBooks. The non-membrane ones were awesome; fully mechanical, daylight bright white, and you could still wash 'em in the sink. But I was looking for ready to go; for $24-26, I'll just buy one. It's just MY luck... If there's a single defective unit in the whole warehouse, it'll find its way to me in just this way; to bring a bit of awesome (Sunday Delivery - woohoo!) and pee in my cornflakes at the same time.  |O

Since both of these keyboards do both rainbow and solid colors, odds are they're WS2812 or maybe even SK6812 (RGBW variant), so white should for sure be possible. If not as they come from the factory, for sure by reprogramming the controller or replacing it with an Arduino or STM32Fxx.

I must say that I like every time bd139 goes, "I scoffed at the thought of paying for a __________ so I knocked one up quickly with some crap I had lying around." And it ends up looking and working much better than just "some crap." :-+
You haven't seen the 10Kg cardboard box full of disasters where the idea didn't work :-DD
Fair enough. I won't look. :-DD

We all have out skeletons in the closet... trick is to turn them into something useful before they come after you.  :-DD

stuck 8 new 1000uf, 35v caps in the 5v section of my hp54502 smps.  (thanks to a boot in the ass from nmen).  it came back to life and completed a self cal. 

wooooohoooooo!  the old pig lives! (and will sit beside my 54504). 

just saw a 54503 for cheap on ebay.  naaaawwwwww.  that would be the act of a truly twisted mind.

went to the hamfest in berryville va this morning and despite my best intentions brought home a nixie clock.  the nice lady behind the table said the magic words  (5 bucks).  how could a confessed nixie addict resist a bargain like that?  to make it worse she even apologized and said it probably didn't work.  turns out she was wrong. 

but not as wrong as the guy who sold me the no name chinese solder wick.  didn't think it was possible, but solder actually beads up on it and falls off without sticking.  forget about wicking.  unbeeelievable!

Thank you for learning from my mistakes, instead of demanding to make them yourself.  :-DD

Nice nixie! Don't assume it's all okay just because it works NOW... check the caps!  :-+

Yeah, cheap solder wick is worse than useless. ChemWick is worth every penny. SRA Solder has some less expensive stuff that's pretty fair too; worth going there to get some proper 60/40 rosin core in various diameters and some of that as well.

mnem
"Electrolytic caps are the devils's footsoldiers!" ~ me
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 04:17:30 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14192 on: August 06, 2018, 05:08:45 am »
Hahaha only a few by accident :)

I had 8000.  Sold 4000. Used 500. Got 3500 left. Should be good ‘til I’m dead.

Most of the used ones ended up being convenient leg donors for other things.

Ah yes i always keep snipped off resistor pins around.

Someone should find where one can buy a whole spool of the wire that they make them out of because they are perfect for making short sturdy connections.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14193 on: August 06, 2018, 05:38:57 am »
Berni, solid-core CAT5 wire is also good for that (as well as for jumper wires in breadboards).

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14194 on: August 06, 2018, 05:46:40 am »
Yeah CAT5 is what i end up using instead, but it needs stripping effort and its not tinned.

I do have some much finer wire that's made for doing bodges. It strips super easily and its silver plated so it just grabs onto the solder as soon as you touch it with a hot iron, not tinning needed at all. Some of that stuff in CAT5 thickness and without insulation would be nice to have.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Berni

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #14196 on: August 06, 2018, 09:24:23 am »
To you Brits and others in Europe suffering from the heat and the lack of residential A/C I present to you yesterday's conditions on this side of the pond.

Outside:  hotter than Hades.  >:D

Inside: cool as a cucumber.  :-+

Today's conditions are predicted to be the same.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14197 on: August 06, 2018, 09:43:11 am »
Hmm, well in my small upstairs lab, windows open and fan blowing towards the window so its blowing hot air out, its currently 83F and climbing.
Who let Murphy in?

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14198 on: August 06, 2018, 10:18:29 am »
Hmm, well in my small upstairs lab, windows open and fan blowing towards the window so its blowing hot air out, its currently 83F and climbing.

Yep that sounds like a usual summers afternoon in my upstairs lab these days. And that's without even turning on any of the big boatanchors with power draw measured in multiple 100s of Watts.

It just does not get cold enough trough the night to be able to properly cool it down. The mass of the brick walls holds the temperature pretty well for an occasional hot day, but with temperatures staying hot consistently trough this heat wave the walls get up to temperature and hold the place hot.

EDIT: Maybe i should get a basement lab instead.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:57:43 am by Berni »

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #14199 on: August 06, 2018, 10:52:06 am »
EDIT: Maybe i should get a basement lab instead.

Highly recommended :)

Edit: but you will in many cases have to fight high humidity levels - especially in summer: :palm:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 10:54:33 am by Messtechniker »
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter, UT216C AC/DC Clamp Meter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf