Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18103508 times)

Robert763, dxl and 71 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #13725 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:20 am »
Super super impressed with hvstuff.com. Just had package delivered already. That's 7 days with China post. Excellent job  :-+

The D83 HT refurb can now continue :D

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #13726 on: July 26, 2018, 09:24:50 am »
Nope. Tek TDS210. Oooold 60MHz DSO. Needs new BNC and CCFL. I have the latter already from when I bought a three pack when I did the screen on my Korg Triton and the BNC is only £4. They get dicky on these units. I remember fixing one back when they came out because Tek wanted £500 at the time to even look at it because it was an out of warranty repair.

However they are still very much in demand. I have sold it already outside of ebay for more than twice what I just paid :-DD ... there is a market for people who don't trust chinese stuff (I don't really if I'm honest), don't want to pay for a Rigol and/or do want the Tek interface.
Are you sure it isn't be HV backlight source ?
I had one and the later model TDS1002 that the C in the RC for the BL HV primary had gone AWOL into the pF range and just replacing the MLCC bought her back to life.
Yes the BNC's on 210's are crap but are worthy improvement is to bare the ground plane on either side and solder a copper strap up and over to make them much more robust.
Good luck with it.

It’s working just murky so figured the tube. Will check both.

I can't recall the backlight inverter frequency however IIRC it's mentioned in the SM. Be sure to check it's somewhere near what it's supposed to be. (ah la near field style  ;) )
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13727 on: July 26, 2018, 09:30:54 am »
Yeah will end up with two dead scopes if I poke the end of the inverter  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13728 on: July 26, 2018, 09:46:48 am »
Pick the one you like the least !  :P

......30 something KHz rings a bell.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13729 on: July 26, 2018, 10:07:28 am »
The latest parts deliveries for the 465 restoration. BNC's from Greece and X10 attenuator from Arizona. Unfortunately I won't have time to work on it this weekend. The lady is coming up this weekend and I'm sure she won't appreciate me working on the scope and not paying attention to her. Besides, I haven't seen her since the beginning of June and frankly I miss her. So no TEA this weekend but break out the adult games!   >:D >:D 8) ;D

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13730 on: July 26, 2018, 10:22:20 am »
Don't damage yourself. Need to fix that scope  :-DD

Pick the one you like the least !  :P

......30 something KHz rings a bell.

Loop of wire on the end of a scope probe will do the job. Many years ago when I was playing around with CB radios in the late 1980s I had a GDO that I used for such tasks. I really need to get one of them again. Incredibly useful bit of gear.

Edit: one of these, and it was old then!

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13731 on: July 26, 2018, 10:35:46 am »
The frequency counter in a DSO is much more convenient.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13732 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:27 am »
I can't argue with that :)

For general field sniffing though, the GDO is really nice. It just popped into my head as another one of the use cases.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13733 on: July 26, 2018, 10:39:36 am »

Try not to pick up anything heavy ought to do it  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13734 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:22 am »

For general field sniffing though, the GDO is really nice. It just popped into my head as another one of the use cases.
The new SVA is gunna turn some heads for capabilities as more get them.
hendorog has pinched mine for some up close and personal checks against his SH and HP VNA.
Hope the bugger gives it back.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13735 on: July 26, 2018, 11:01:41 am »

Try not to pick up anything heavy ought to do it  :-DD :-DD :-DD

You guys are a real riot.  :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13736 on: July 26, 2018, 11:05:33 am »

hendorog has pinched mine for some up close and personal checks against his SH and HP VNA.

Indeed. That does look interesting. I am holding back on purchasing an SA to see what the outcome of this is, and see what interesting bugs it has to iron out  :-DD

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13737 on: July 26, 2018, 11:07:22 am »
I was thinking the same but they said it !
We're only concerned for your health med6753.

Start taking those pills early.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13738 on: July 26, 2018, 11:14:01 am »

LMAO!   :-DD :-DD :-DD :-+

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13739 on: July 26, 2018, 11:15:07 am »

Indeed. That does look interesting. I am holding back on purchasing an SA to see what the outcome of this is, and see what interesting bugs it has to iron out  :-DD
I didn't have lots to do with it before he grabbed it off me, only some stumbling in the dark trying to get my 315 MHz antenna sorted but I have a lot to learn about real RF black magic. Without such a tool I'd be stuffed and the VNA bit is way outside my comfort zone just yet.
The SA is exactly the same as SSA models and reasonably mature now. hendorog had my 3032 for a bit and got to grips with it immediately as most of the UI works the same as the HP's he has.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13740 on: July 26, 2018, 11:23:55 am »

LMAO!   :-DD :-DD :-DD :-+
Little story....
A cuz and he's high up in his family pharmaceutical business was turning 40 and like all, any excuse for a party and we were there 'one and all'. At the time said company had the NZ distribution rights for those special blue pills and they were selling great guns. $ $ $
Anyways, my  >:D wife baked a cake in the shape of those little blue pills, had it iced blue and on the night had it carried into the do on a stretcher by a couple of our busty wench mates dressed as nurses.
What a hoot that was and he still cracks up about it 20 years later.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #13741 on: July 26, 2018, 02:35:19 pm »
You normal folk get all the fun... when I take those pills, I get a raging migraine and tinnitus. And my boys shrivel up like a peanut and try to climb back up inside.  :-DD

mnem
Or maybe that's just parenthood...  :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline sixtimesseven

• Frequent Contributor
    • Flickr
« Reply #13742 on: July 26, 2018, 03:23:15 pm »
I tried to look at hvstuff.com but their site is suspended  :-//

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13743 on: July 26, 2018, 03:30:51 pm »
Yeah looks like someone forgot to pay the bills. They will work it out in the next day or so. :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13744 on: July 26, 2018, 03:32:37 pm »
You normal folk get all the fun... when I take those pills, I get a raging migraine and tinnitus. And my boys shrivel up like a peanut and try to climb back up inside.  :-DD

mnem
Or maybe that's just parenthood...  :-//

Definitely parenthood. So I'm working from home today and it's summer holidays. This morning I had three children, two of whom are teenagers. Two additional teenagers turned up this afternoon and they have been practicing Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden all afternoon, badly. Thank fuck none of them have a drumkit (yet). Yep straight back up.

Edit: forgot to mention I'm knocking back cider which makes it slightly better :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:34:50 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13745 on: July 26, 2018, 03:49:20 pm »
Also of course, Cider will dehydrate you so thats a bad choice. I'm knocking back some lovely ice cold (and I mean ice cold) blackcurrant drink I mixed earlier and popped in the fridge (always in this heat have at least 3 litres of it in there).

I also change it around for orange drink sometimes to keep the flavor fresh.

If I go to an airshow, I do the same thing but pop them in the freezer (allowing some space in the bottle for expansion) and they are delicious frozen, always reminds me of the orange Jubbly we used to buy from the sweet shop (frozen of course), fantastic on a hot day.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13746 on: July 26, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »

So I'm working from home today and it's summer holidays. This morning I had three children, two of whom are teenagers. Two additional teenagers turned up this afternoon and they have been practicing Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden all afternoon, badly. Thank fuck none of them have a drumkit (yet). Yep straight back up.

Edit: forgot to mention I'm knocking back cider which makes it slightly better :)
I'll get my Brother-in-Law to pop round with his drum kit, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd are his favorite bands, should be good fun.   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13747 on: July 26, 2018, 04:33:59 pm »
Also of course, Cider will dehydrate you so thats a bad choice. I'm knocking back some lovely ice cold (and I mean ice cold) blackcurrant drink I mixed earlier and popped in the fridge (always in this heat have at least 3 litres of it in there).

If I go to an airshow, I do the same thing but pop them in the freezer (allowing some space in the bottle for expansion) and they are delicious frozen, always reminds me of the orange Jubbly we used to buy from the sweet shop (frozen of course), fantastic on a hot day.

I've got a freezer full of coke and strawberry jubblies. Spot on they are the best. Prefer the orange ones but Tesco are out of everything cold and interesting.

Cider does dehydrate you, you're right. That's why I have a water chaser :D

So I'm working from home today and it's summer holidays. This morning I had three children, two of whom are teenagers. Two additional teenagers turned up this afternoon and they have been practicing Guns N' Roses and Iron Maiden all afternoon, badly. Thank fuck none of them have a drumkit (yet). Yep straight back up.

I'll get my Brother-in-Law to pop round with his drum kit, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden and Pink Floyd are his favorite bands, should be good fun.   :-DD

If he's good I don't mind.

To be fair on this lot it's quite a new thing. They've only started playing in the last year and have basically taught themselves off YouTube. I'm quite impressed so far.

Good news here. Literally just got signed off and paid on our project with one day to go. Taking next month off now for TEA and radio fun. hence celebratory cider :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13748 on: July 26, 2018, 05:00:14 pm »
What, you can still buy Jubblies?? I shop in Tesco's but have never seen them, grrr.

Good news on the software project and delivered within the timeframe as well but is it all error trapped and bug free? I'm seriously lagging on the TEA front at the moment, nothing interesting cropping up. Thinking of moving on my Heathkit MM-1U as it doesn't really bring anything extra to the party that I don't already have, might do the same with the Kyoritsu 1400 meter as well now its been repaired and cleaned although it does have 5KV capability but I don't have any leads that are capable of that.   
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #13749 on: July 26, 2018, 05:04:22 pm »

All this talk of cold drinks yet you Brits still drink warm beer......yuck!   :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf