Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17487656 times)

SingleBitError, wolfy007, ch_scr, Vince, wkb and 63 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #12125 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:19 am »
The prop shafts dont come out of the middle of the box. They come out on one side. Wears the UJs less then. Also makes them easier to get to!

Oh, so the output of the transfer case to the rear is offset too? That would explain it. Thanks.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12126 on: June 17, 2018, 10:30:54 am »
I used to have a Rover 2000TC and I'm pretty sure that the diff on that was central and had inboard disc brakes which were bastards to reach without using a ramp.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12127 on: June 17, 2018, 10:34:03 am »
I used to have a Rover 2000TC and I'm pretty sure that the diff on that was central and had inboard disc brakes which were bastards to reach without using a ramp.

That's a car. I'm talking 4WD Rovers...like the Discovery...that's all we have here on this side of the pond.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #12128 on: June 17, 2018, 10:34:51 am »
4 speed, high/low, overdrive. Had one myself. Ate wheel bearings once a quarter.

Yup, a series 2 (not even 2a) Land Rover.

• the gear between the halfshaft and the rear axles disintegrated. Even the mechanics commented on the noise as that entered the workshop :)

Transfer case idler, right ?
Yeah they beefed the shaft they ran on up in 2a and later.

Apologies for the crap description, due to tiredness and a 25 year gap :)

It was the rear differential gear, that "splits" and "turns" the power through 90 degrees, and allows the rear wheels to rotate at different speeds.

Can't blame the Land Rover in my case: the 4.2l Perkins diesel engine was far more powerful with far more torque :)
Gotcha.
They're inside the diff crown-wheel carrier and called bevel or spider gears.
Yep and they beefed them up too, for 2a maybe but definitely in Series 3.

Can anyone explain to me why Rovers typically have an offset rear differential? In other words the rear gear is offset to the left when view from the rear rather than in the center which is usual for other RWD vehicles.
It starts at the transfer case where after the gearbox mainshaft output (on the vehicle C/L) is relayed via an intermediate idler to the output shaft so takes the driveline output far from the center line of a Rover.
Pretty simple really.  :)

The prop shafts dont come out of the middle of the box. They come out on one side. Wears the UJs less then. Also makes them easier to get to!
Yep, the UJ's need be kept straight, well in one axis anyway.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:37:36 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12129 on: June 17, 2018, 10:37:00 am »

That's a car. I'm talking 4WD Rovers...like the Discovery...that's all we have here on this side of the pond.
You missed out on the best bits of Rover then.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12130 on: June 17, 2018, 10:41:38 am »

What, like the 'designed' oil leaks that most UK vehicles had of that era ?  :P
Many I know reckoned English engineers had a sense of humor....a sick sense IMHO.

The Japs got this right pretty damn early.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #12131 on: June 17, 2018, 10:43:58 am »

Many I know reckoned English engineers had a sense of humor....a sick sense IMHO.

Don't forget Lucas electrics!  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12132 on: June 17, 2018, 10:45:31 am »
Ah screw Lucas to hell. Did you know they made transistors too?

Not for bloody long they didn’t. Were even less reliable than tubes.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12133 on: June 17, 2018, 10:47:05 am »

Don't forget Lucas electrics!  :-DD
I can't remember how many of their alternators I rebuilt, other than too bloody many !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12134 on: June 17, 2018, 10:49:59 am »

Not all cars had that problem, My 200TC didn't leak, nor did my Dad's Rover 3 Litre, its all down to how they were maintained or rather not maintained.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12135 on: June 17, 2018, 10:53:20 am »

Not all cars had that problem, My 200TC didn't leak, nor did my Dad's Rover 3 Litre, its all down to how they were maintained or rather not maintained.
Or driven by some nana driver.  :-DD
Whole egg on the accelerator so you don't stress the motor or use too much gas ?  ::)

Gotta go, been chasing bambi all day........ and came home to dinner of hot tongue and cold shoulder....need sleep.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 10:55:58 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12136 on: June 17, 2018, 10:56:47 am »
Would have blown up in London. Accelerator is an on off switch.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #12137 on: June 17, 2018, 11:12:19 am »
British car electrics reliability  :wtf:  Starting my Morris Major Elite was a work of art and science!
Mr Lucas - the Prince of Darkness  >:D
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12138 on: June 17, 2018, 12:41:04 pm »
British car electrics reliability  :wtf:  Starting my Morris Major Elite was a work of art and science!
Mr Lucas - the Prince of Darkness  >:D
Hmm, that was never a British car, it was actually made by BMC Australia between 1958 and 1964 and as such, I would have expected it to have used whatever electrics was in use on other Australian cars of the time.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12139 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:51 pm »
Anyone in the UK going to Newbury Radio Rally?

Might head down there next Sunday and see if I can wangle some TEA bargains. Bargains as "not power tested so I'm not paying that" bargains ;)

I'm giving it a thought, but I'm tending towards "Meh!" but that might just be Sunday afternoon torpor speaking.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12140 on: June 17, 2018, 12:50:59 pm »
Anyone in the UK going to Newbury Radio Rally?

Might head down there next Sunday and see if I can wangle some TEA bargains. Bargains as "not power tested so I'm not paying that" bargains ;)

I'm giving it a thought, but I'm tending towards "Meh!" but that might just be Sunday afternoon torpor speaking.

Similar situation. Weather looks ok so far. My condition is “I will go if I don’t buy anything interesting on eBay this week” :)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12141 on: June 17, 2018, 01:03:48 pm »
That might have to be my logic as well. So far this weekend I've completely failed to win anything, most annoying being the Keithley Picoammeter that looked like it might go for a nice low price - I was wrong, very wrong. I'm going to pop a couple of the croissants I made and froze earlier in the week into the oven and see if the world looks better after I've eaten them. It usually does look better after consuming anything that's made of 28% butter.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12142 on: June 17, 2018, 01:06:48 pm »
Let me think about for a nano second, Meh its way to far for me.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12143 on: June 17, 2018, 01:09:34 pm »
That might have to be my logic as well. So far this weekend I've completely failed to win anything, most annoying being the Keithley Picoammeter that looked like it might go for a nice low price - I was wrong, very wrong. I'm going to pop a couple of the croissants I made and froze earlier in the week into the oven and see if the world looks better after I've eaten them. It usually does look better after consuming anything that's made of 28% butter.

Yeah had that on the watch list. No intention of bidding, just to see. A little higher than I’d pay for it for certain. Also nothing is tested there and they are shit at packaging. The latter got me a tek 475 from them for £20 though thanks to a couple of crumbled feet.

Butter makes everything better  :-+

eBay has been shit recently. Nothing on it at all apart from stuff which should just be chucked in a skip.

Let me think about for a nano second, Meh its way to far for me.

I used to commute from stansted to Newbury for 3 months when I did a contract once ;)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12144 on: June 17, 2018, 01:24:07 pm »
I am so throughly bored I just invented a new game. Have plugged two shit DMM probes into my 15V 4A power supply and cranked the voltage up. This is then used to apply power to SMD populated boards in my junk box randomly. I picked some salvaged Lenovo docking station and motherboards for this task. Don some safety glasses and a long sleeve non flammable top when you do this.

Objective is to make as many explosions as you can in under 2 minutes. Amazing the bang a tiny SMD tant, LED, diode, MOSFET or resistor can let out. My current high score is 15 bangs out of a dead T410 dock.

This stuff was headed to the tip anyway.

Edit: very much regretting not snagging that 20V 10A HP supply the other day now. That would have made it even more dangerous :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12145 on: June 17, 2018, 01:39:01 pm »
Haha, set a new record yet?

I'm playing around with this 1740A, pulled out the horizontal yet again, reseated it a few times and now its being rock solid, been on soak test for the last 3 hours and its perfect again.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12146 on: June 17, 2018, 02:16:49 pm »
Nope. I made some traces light up though :)

Good to hear. Hate it when that happens.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12147 on: June 17, 2018, 02:20:01 pm »
Nope. I made some traces light up though :)

Good to hear. Hate it when that happens.
Sounds as if SWMBO is out for the day or are you getting those looks that could stop a charging hippo dead?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12148 on: June 17, 2018, 02:20:47 pm »
She’s just sighing ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12149 on: June 17, 2018, 02:22:01 pm »
I smell cold shoulder coming up anytime soon  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf