Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18058766 times)

TERRA Operative, ch_scr and 65 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11825 on: June 10, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
Are there sections of London that are really that bad? NYC used to have "no go" sections but that's no longer true...although some neighborhoods are "safer" than others. Now the same can't be said for cities like Chicago or Detroit.

No it's usually absolutely fine really almost everywhere. Us Londoners mostly joke about it because it reinforces the stereotype of how bad it is. Literally everyone apart from everyone who lives there thinks it's nasty. It's really not. You can walk along quite happily in even the shittiest bits with an iPhone 10 slapped to your head and no one will stab you or try and take it. Opportunistic theft is relatively low and most of the people who get killed or stabbed are tit for tat private gang violence. There was a spate of motorcycle muggings in the last year but this was almost entirely down to 3 people apparently. They're just finishing off all the copycats now. Most people have silent respect for each other.

Edit: Genuinely you can sit in a greasy cafe in the East End of the city and have a millionare currency trader, homeless guy, foreign student, unemployed person and a muslim refugee sitting at the same table eating breakfast and talking candidly about life as if they've known each other forever. Nowhere else on this planet I've been have I seen that. People say it's unfriendly but I've only found it the opposite.

Couple of quick test gear related pictures as I'm still dead in the water here.

Worst illustration and explanation of point award goes to RSGB from the full license revision book :palm: ... doing the exam this week so having a quick scan...

I can see sooooo many things wrong there.

Shouldn't that work better if it were a feed thru termination?

Yes generally a good idea to use a through termination. The SWR is going to be shit on a T-piece though. Fine for audio. I can see the following things that are wrong with it however:

1. The T-piece is usually connected to the scope in the middle so it's the wrong T piece.
2. The T-piece indicated can't be plugged into the scope because the gender is wrong.
3. Through termination as mentioned is definitely better.
4. Don't connect the probe to the T piece, it's not a 50 ohm match to the DUT.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:12:37 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11826 on: June 10, 2018, 03:05:28 pm »
Either that or it was Leyton and he's now in Whipp's Cross hosptal with a stab wound  :-DD
Quick update, I'm not in any hospital nor on the way to one, meter is stashed in the car, when I get back with it I'll fire it up and post pictures of it, cost was just £35 at the end so well worth a punt cos I can get that back at least as spares if need be 🤣🤣

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11827 on: June 10, 2018, 03:17:07 pm »
Nice one  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11828 on: June 10, 2018, 03:18:21 pm »
SOB....a true addict....he went for it.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11829 on: June 10, 2018, 03:32:17 pm »
Update on the Fluke 8840A, rang the seller this morning and they claimed that someone from Germany offered them £60 for it and postage, and offered it me for the same to save them from having to post it. Claimed that they had seen them selling on Ebay for between $100 and $300, well I can see one that sold on 26th May for only $53 (ignoring postage), fully working with both GPIB and AC-09 options fitted. Pointed this out and he said yes that was a low one and kept saying that if I go with a lead I could test it, if it worked £60, and if not than I could have it free.

I pointed out that his wife last night said I could have it for £40, to which he replied OK, if it worked I could have it £50 or free if it didn't work. They claimed that when they moved in to the house recently, the previous owner had left a whole load of similar stuff in a cupboard and that they had sold the items and everything worked and was 100% confident that this would work as well.

Suffice to say that I smelt a big stinking rat lurking in the background, their story kept changing slightly and seemed to be pressuring me to go and see it etc. The round trip would take me about 3 to 4 hours dependant on traffic so I declined and told them to take the German offer as after considering all things, it was too much of an economic risk to me, I mean for all I know it could be stolen gear.

Besides I already have 5 other 5.5 digit meters but always a nice VFD one, I didn't feel comfortable with this one  :phew:
Just had a phone message from them, if I go and get it I can have it for £35 now, I am kind of tempted..
Sounds hooky. Probably sells horses too.

He's not answering you which means he's probably on the motorway right now doing 90 MPH and honking and yelling at other motorists to get out of his way. "Must have that Fluke!"  :palm: :-DD :-DD

Either that or it was Leyton and he's now in Whipp's Cross hosptal with a stab wound  :-DD
Quick update, I'm not in any hospital nor on the way to one, meter is stashed in the car, when I get back with it I'll fire it up and post pictures of it, cost was just £35 at the end so well worth a punt cos I can get that back at least as spares if need be  ;) ;)

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Fuckin' A-diddy! This is better'n watching a car chase on the evening news!!!   :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 03:43:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11830 on: June 10, 2018, 04:00:29 pm »

Worst illustration and explanation of point award goes to RSGB from the full license revision book :palm: ... doing the exam this week so having a quick scan...

Yes generally a good idea to use a through termination. The SWR is going to be shit on a T-piece though. Fine for audio. I can see the following things that are wrong with it however:

1. The T-piece is usually connected to the scope in the middle so it's the wrong T piece.
2. The T-piece indicated can't be plugged into the scope because the gender is wrong.

... and it will still have 15pF/20pF in parallel - and you can use a Smith chart to see the significant effect that will have on response at even 100MHz.

But what the hell is the RSGB doing suggesting using a scope for anything RF related? Looking at baseband signale != RF, of course :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11831 on: June 10, 2018, 04:02:48 pm »
Are there sections of London that are really that bad? NYC used to have "no go" sections but that's no longer true...although some neighborhoods are "safer" than others. Now the same can't be said for cities like Chicago or Detroit.

No London isn't that bad!

BTW, it isn't just NYC; my parents experienced that in several forms in Pittsburgh in the "golden era" late 50s. Naturally I  won't be responding to any replies, on the basis this any such conversation will rapidly devolve.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11832 on: June 10, 2018, 04:07:49 pm »
Quick update, I'm not in any hospital nor on the way to one, meter is stashed in the car, when I get back with it I'll fire it up and post pictures of it, cost was just £35 at the end so well worth a punt cos I can get that back at least as spares if need be 🤣🤣

I'd have taken a kettle lead with me. But then I take a TDR to geek car boot sales to measure RF cable/connectors impedance :)

(I'll be selling one such TDR soon, when I've got suitable batteries. The ones I've just received only have <70% of the stated capacity)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11833 on: June 10, 2018, 04:41:02 pm »

... and it will still have 15pF/20pF in parallel - and you can use a Smith chart to see the significant effect that will have on response at even 100MHz.

But what the hell is the RSGB doing suggesting using a scope for anything RF related? Looking at baseband signale != RF, of course :)

Pretty much fine for HF power meaurement through up to about 20m band however. “Within 10%” is mantra there. VHF forget it. They did actually mention that 20-30Mhz scopes were affordable but forget anything above that.  :palm:

RSGB training material is total shit. Just some hoops you need to jump through. They’re making it harder. I got 100% on both foundation and intermediate tests and did sod all revision to give you an idea how easy it is. I’m no exam wizard for sure. The full license is just another hoop. 62 multiple choice questions a monkey could answer and a 60% pass rate doesn’t stop a lot of people getting on the air who really shouldn’t be.

When I say on the air I mean licensed to operate 400W TX that they built themselves. Scary thought looking at some of the things I heard uttered on this subject.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:44:09 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11834 on: June 10, 2018, 04:54:05 pm »
I'm back and just about to eat, so I'll post photos later, but powered up, display as I thought a bit on the dim side but thats not too bad as displays I think are available, tested it against my voltage standard and its spot on and agrees with the 3478A and the 3466A's and resistance looks to bank on the money as well, for £35 it looks like a real bargain after all, winner winner, chicken dinner, see yall later  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11835 on: June 10, 2018, 05:10:39 pm »
Excellent news. Absolutely steal st 35. Pun intended  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11836 on: June 10, 2018, 05:28:38 pm »

I'd have taken a kettle lead with me. But then I take a TDR to geek car boot sales to measure RF cable/connectors impedance :)

(I'll be selling one such TDR soon, when I've got suitable batteries. The ones I've just received only have <70% of the stated capacity)
I did take a lead but the bloke would not give me his address because of parking he said, so he came to meet me and said that maybe Tesco would lend us a socket to test it on, yeh sure they will!

It looked OK and so I just stuffed the 35 notes in his hand and left in the knowledge that it was worth more than that as spares only  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11837 on: June 10, 2018, 05:32:16 pm »

Pretty much fine for HF power meaurement through up to about 20m band however. “Within 10%” is mantra there. VHF forget it. They did actually mention that 20-30Mhz scopes were affordable but forget anything above that.  :palm:

RSGB training material is total shit. Just some hoops you need to jump through. They’re making it harder. I got 100% on both foundation and intermediate tests and did sod all revision to give you an idea how easy it is. I’m no exam wizard for sure. The full license is just another hoop. 62 multiple choice questions a monkey could answer and a 60% pass rate doesn’t stop a lot of people getting on the air who really shouldn’t be.

When I say on the air I mean licensed to operate 400W TX that they built themselves. Scary thought looking at some of the things I heard uttered on this subject.
Says he, standing there puffing his chest out with pride  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11838 on: June 10, 2018, 05:34:30 pm »
Yeh, when it fell from lorry I don't think it bounced, cant see a dent on it anywhere.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11839 on: June 10, 2018, 05:48:03 pm »

Says he, standing there puffing his chest out with pride  :-DD

I think everyone was surprised how easy it was. Wasn’t just me! :)

Only question everyone fell over on was one about how to erect a ladder safely. I guessed lucky.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11840 on: June 10, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »
Yeh, when it fell from lorry I don't think it bounced, cant see a dent on it anywhere.  :-DD

Get the black light on it ;)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11841 on: June 10, 2018, 05:59:41 pm »

No good, I tried that but it ain't talking  :-DD

Congratulations on the result of your 3478A, not a bad return although you did replace the RIFA's and backup battery on it, still showed a profit though maybe even after ebay fees bite in into it  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11842 on: June 10, 2018, 06:02:30 pm »
It looked OK and so I just stuffed the 35 notes in his hand and left in the knowledge that it was worth more than that as spares only  :-DD

Hehe good job. 35£ is indeed a good price. It's fun when you find something local and don't need to pay for shipping.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11843 on: June 10, 2018, 06:02:58 pm »

No good, I tried that but it ain't talking  :-DD

Congratulations on the result of your 3478A, not a bad return although you did replace the RIFA's and backup battery on it, still showed a profit though maybe even after ebay fees bite in into it  :-+

Yeah went ok. Was on a cheap fees listing day so I’m happy  :-+

I tend not to be happy with selling something unless I’ve got it up to my personal standards. One reason I’ve never had a complaint or return.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11844 on: June 10, 2018, 06:37:42 pm »

I did take a lead but the bloke would not give me his address because of parking he said, so he came to meet me and said that maybe Tesco would lend us a socket to test it on, yeh sure they will!

Car park == suspicious!

Having said that, I have used the local Hackspace as a convenient  handover point: power available and I'm known there.

Offline orin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11845 on: June 10, 2018, 06:45:19 pm »

Car park == suspicious!

Having said that, I have used the local Hackspace as a convenient  handover point: power available and I'm known there.

Suspicion goes both ways.  Safer for all to do the transaction in a public place.  I use the local Starbucks, though the price of a latte these days does eat into the profits...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11846 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:58 pm »
I'm back and just about to eat, so I'll post photos later, but powered up, display as I thought a bit on the dim side but thats not too bad as displays I think are available, tested it against my voltage standard and its spot on and agrees with the 3478A and the 3466A's and resistance looks to bank on the money as well, for £35 it looks like a real bargain after all, winner winner, chicken dinner, see yall later  :-DD

High five on the score!  :-+ :-+ Waiting on the pictures.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11847 on: June 10, 2018, 07:21:05 pm »

BTW, it isn't just NYC; my parents experienced that in several forms in Pittsburgh in the "golden era" late 50s. Naturally I  won't be responding to any replies, on the basis this any such conversation will rapidly devolve.

No worries. Politics and related issues are something I care not discuss. This isn't the forum for it anyway. I was just curious if the comments about London were self-deprecating or had an element of truth. It turns out it was the former.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11848 on: June 10, 2018, 07:36:17 pm »

No worries. Politics and related issues are something I care not discuss. This isn't the forum for it anyway. I was just curious if the comments about London were self-deprecating or had an element of truth. It turns out it was the former.
Not wishing to get into a discussion about this either but I do wonder just how London compares to our other major cities in the UK, anyone have any figures? According to this BBC report yesterday, we had the 74th Murder in London this year so far, continue in the same vein and we could end up with around 150 by the end of 2018, thats too many in my book
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44427821
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11849 on: June 10, 2018, 07:50:37 pm »
If you have to track it, remember that some London boroughs have a higher population than most US cities and some counties in the U.K. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf