Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17493175 times)

Ice-Tea, smaultre, MVSantos and 90 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11800 on: June 09, 2018, 06:52:41 pm »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142282995078

Just stumbled across this while looking for other stuff... Not sure if $6 ea plus $6 shipping is overall a good price for fleaBay as I'm rarely searching for resistors of such low tolerance (I know reel end lots can occasionally be had for a steal), but DigiKey's 1/ea pricing is $US15-50 for similar from Vishay Precision. Also they're coming from the UK, so may be a boon for you of the tea & biscuits crowd.

mnem
*Back to the hoeing out the Dwagon-Cave*

No, not the UK, from Poland. I've used these people a few times and indeed used a few of the low values of exactly those Sfernice resistors to repair the bottom two resistors on my Vishay precision decade box. Fast, reliable and definitely selling genuine stock. I'm close enough to volt-nuttery to be able to confirm the values of high precision resistors and the ones from them were all well within specification (including tempco).

I had a few 2K resistors from this line, from this seller, turn up today. i've used them a few times and, while not as close to volt-nuttery as most here, everything bought from them that has been checked has been well within spec so far, and the service has been consistently good. I tested the 4-wire Ohms ranges on my 3455A with resistors from them, against a GDM-8341 with a 6-month old factory cal, spot on. I have a plan to collect enough low-tolerance/low tempco resistors to eventually improve an old decade box with really nice switches that I have, so it's good to hear of you already doing that.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11801 on: June 09, 2018, 08:41:28 pm »
bd139, I assume that the Rigol AWG you purchased was the DG1022U correct? If so did you spot the other one on Amazon that got 5 star reviews, DG1022Z?

Yeah it’s a DG1022Z. Got it from Telonic...

https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/Rigol-DG1022Z-Waveform-Generator-p/dg1022z.htm

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #11802 on: June 09, 2018, 08:45:17 pm »
Damn it I can’t keep away. TEA is like a crack addiction. Caught myself slacking again as I’m blocked on something (fucking software license problems and it turns out they don’t work on a Friday in Israel).

Had some spare cash to burn due some financial kismet so I bought another Rigol AWG this morning as I need a very frequency stable IF signal source for something and it is the cheapest even with the problems. Phase noise is a bit pants but it will do. Should get this tomorrow if DPD don’t fuck up. Also found a complete blithering idiot seller on eBay who has no idea what they are selling and keeps under pricing things which are trivially broken. Unfortunately nothing interesting available today as some other people are floating around them like flies around shit. I’m not linking them here or I’ll do myself out of toys and profitable fix ups (sorry all >:D )

Anyway I’m going to bed in a sulk because I feel man flu coming which means my new toys are all going to get covered in snot.
Hold on, you sold your Rigol oscilloscope and AWG not too long ago while and now you bought both again? I don't seem to remember you being very pleased with them last time.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11803 on: June 09, 2018, 09:24:05 pm »
I’m not really. But they solve a class of problems I admittedly have and can’t solve with the analogue only kit without eye gouging pain. Didn’t make much of a loss on it so  :-//

I can’t justify a £3000 outlay for equivalent Keysight branded stuff for example.

One big improvement recently is a workspace I can use them effectively on which makes them considerably less frustrating to use.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:25:40 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11804 on: June 10, 2018, 01:20:03 am »
I was looking at a Fluke 8840A bench meter the seller is asking £150 for, supposed to be in excellent condition. Anyway after asking a few questions about it I asked for a photos showing the display working., fair enough given that these have high failure rates.

It transpires that they cannot provide a photo of it working as they don't have the mains cable  :wtf: and yet they said it was excellent condition and valused it at £150. I explained that it is a standard IEC lead, possibly same as the lead fitted to their TV so they took a photo of the back of the meter and sent that to me saying that didn't have the lead, just as well they did that, because it turns out that it doesn't have the AC volts Option 09 fitted, and no test leads either. To make it even worse, it is well out of calibration and has a warning written on it stating that as well.

So just how the hell did they value this meter at £150 when they don't even know if it works, what the display is like, and didn't even know that it couldn't measure AC volts  :palm: :scared:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:28:47 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11805 on: June 10, 2018, 01:56:27 am »
So just how the hell did they value this meter at £150 when they don't even know if it works, what the display is like, and didn't even know that it couldn't measure AC volts  :palm: :scared:

Sometimes the dumb assery works in your favor, and sometimes it doesn't. In your favor: the 2465 I recently picked up. In this case it appears to be dumb ass with some scam thrown in. 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11806 on: June 10, 2018, 02:32:23 am »

Normally I just low ball those sellers. Most of the time they decline or just don't answer. But when they accept, it's mega win  :)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #11807 on: June 10, 2018, 02:40:16 am »

Unfortunately, used test gear is sold by many who don't know what they're selling. Hence, the pricing could be anything. Many don't even bother looking at what similar devices previously sold for.

Anyway, £150 seems a bit much for an 8840A, but I don't know the going rates in your area. I'd hold out for an 8842A with AC and GPIB options (which also give you trigger input and sample complete output BNCs).
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11808 on: June 10, 2018, 04:48:09 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/142282995078

Just stumbled across this while looking for other stuff... Not sure if $6 ea plus $6 shipping is overall a good price for fleaBay as I'm rarely searching for resistors of such low tolerance (I know reel end lots can occasionally be had for a steal), but DigiKey's 1/ea pricing is $US15-50 for similar from Vishay Precision. Also they're coming from the UK, so may be a boon for you of the tea & biscuits crowd.

mnem
*Back to the hoeing out the Dwagon-Cave*

No, not the UK, from Poland. I've used these people a few times and indeed used a few of the low values of exactly those Sfernice resistors to repair the bottom two resistors on my Vishay precision decade box. Fast, reliable and definitely selling genuine stock. I'm close enough to volt-nuttery to be able to confirm the values of high precision resistors and the ones from them were all well within specification (including tempco).

I had a few 2K resistors from this line, from this seller, turn up today. i've used them a few times and, while not as close to volt-nuttery as most here, everything bought from them that has been checked has been well within spec so far, and the service has been consistently good. I tested the 4-wire Ohms ranges on my 3455A with resistors from them, against a GDM-8341 with a 6-month old factory cal, spot on. I have a plan to collect enough low-tolerance/low tempco resistors to eventually improve an old decade box with really nice switches that I have, so it's good to hear of you already doing that.

Wellp... aside from my brain-fart on the origin (I've gone back and corrected my post  |O) location, I'm guessing from the fact you guys have bought from this vendor that their prices are halfway decent. Hopefully that means someone else will benefit from my original heads-up post. :D

mnem
*Toddling off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11809 on: June 10, 2018, 06:56:01 am »
I’m not really. But they solve a class of problems I admittedly have and can’t solve with the analogue only kit without eye gouging pain. Didn’t make much of a loss on it so  :-//

I can’t justify a £3000 outlay for equivalent Keysight branded stuff for example.

Economical use of appropriate tools is an indicator of engineering :) See the aphorism in my .sig for an alternative statement of that.

One big improvement recently is a workspace I can use them effectively on which makes them considerably less frustrating to use.

Now that I don't understand.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11810 on: June 10, 2018, 07:26:21 am »

Unfortunately, used test gear is sold by many who don't know what they're selling. Hence, the pricing could be anything. Many don't even bother looking at what similar devices previously sold for.

Anyway, £150 seems a bit much for an 8840A, but I don't know the going rates in your area. I'd hold out for an 8842A with AC and GPIB options (which also give you trigger input and sample complete output BNCs).
Oh it's got those OK it's just the lack of AC and needing calibration along with the fact that they say they don't have the ability to power it up, that's the issue. I've already gotten the price down to £40 and I'm trying to get it down lower still as I'm taking a punt here.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11811 on: June 10, 2018, 07:51:27 am »

Now that I don't understand.

My “corner” was historically a pile of kit randomly assembled on top of an Ikea unit. This afforded no depth and nowhere to put your legs while working. The digital devices require more precision input for the multi use encoders etc which is difficult when perching on the edge of a chair reaching 70-80cm away. Also the limited space meant that not everything could be plugged in at the same time. An analogue device if you have to unplug it for a bit it’ll remember where you left it. Digital, no so much. It remembers most of where it was if you tell it but not all of it.

Ergo ergonomics and power supply isn’t an issue now.

Could I have solved this before? Yes I probably could but resistance was high on that front end also it’s one of those slightly obvious things which slips through the analysis goggles.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11812 on: June 10, 2018, 09:12:20 am »

Oh it's got those OK it's just the lack of AC and needing calibration along with the fact that they say they don't have the ability to power it up, that's the issue. I've already gotten the price down to £40 and I'm trying to get it down lower still as I'm taking a punt here.

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Good boy....keep hammering them.  :-+ About $55 USD is a decent price but I'd still be worried about the VFD display.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11813 on: June 10, 2018, 10:48:13 am »
Update on the Fluke 8840A, rang the seller this morning and they claimed that someone from Germany offered them £60 for it and postage, and offered it me for the same to save them from having to post it. Claimed that they had seen them selling on Ebay for between $100 and $300, well I can see one that sold on 26th May for only $53 (ignoring postage), fully working with both GPIB and AC-09 options fitted. Pointed this out and he said yes that was a low one and kept saying that if I go with a lead I could test it, if it worked £60, and if not than I could have it free.

I pointed out that his wife last night said I could have it for £40, to which he replied OK, if it worked I could have it £50 or free if it didn't work. They claimed that when they moved in to the house recently, the previous owner had left a whole load of similar stuff in a cupboard and that they had sold the items and everything worked and was 100% confident that this would work as well.

Suffice to say that I smelt a big stinking rat lurking in the background, their story kept changing slightly and seemed to be pressuring me to go and see it etc. The round trip would take me about 3 to 4 hours dependant on traffic so I declined and told them to take the German offer as after considering all things, it was too much of an economic risk to me, I mean for all I know it could be stolen gear.

Besides I already have 5 other 5.5 digit meters but always a nice VFD one, I didn't feel comfortable with this one  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11814 on: June 10, 2018, 11:01:39 am »
Sounds hooky. Probably sells horses too.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11815 on: June 10, 2018, 11:10:54 am »
Just had a phone message from them, if I go and get it I can have it for £35 now, I am kind of tempted..
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11816 on: June 10, 2018, 11:15:05 am »
Yep, as soon as the story starting changing the  :bullshit: detector goes full scale and a big red flag goes up.  :wtf:

You did good to walk away from it.

Edit....uh-oh, you are wavering. Don't do it. Another one will come along. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:18:05 am by med6753 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #11817 on: June 10, 2018, 11:15:54 am »
Just had a phone message from them, if I go and get it I can have it for £35 now, I am kind of tempted..

Do they also sell double glazing?

I guess 3-4hours => 200 miles. So, if you reckon on 12p/mile fuel plus 12p/mile depreciation, that trip will cost £50 (+3-4hours of your remaining life).

Is it worth £85 to you? Hopefully that will confirm your decision.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:17:34 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11818 on: June 10, 2018, 11:30:08 am »

Do they also sell double glazing?

I guess 3-4hours => 200 miles. So, if you reckon on 12p/mile fuel plus 12p/mile depreciation, that trip will cost £50 (+3-4hours of your remaining life).

Is it worth £85 to you? Hopefully that will confirm your decision.

No its only about 34 miles away but in London hence the timing, average speed can be very low in London
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11819 on: June 10, 2018, 12:02:06 pm »
Which bit of London is it in. You can assign a dodgy factor to that.

Dartford / Romford -> probably nicked

Stratford /Leyton -> enjoy your stabbing

Woodford-> probably ok

Etc etc

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11820 on: June 10, 2018, 12:54:38 pm »
He's not answering you which means he's probably on the motorway right now doing 90 MPH and honking and yelling at other motorists to get out of his way. "Must have that Fluke!"  :palm: :-DD :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11821 on: June 10, 2018, 01:03:57 pm »
Either that or it was Leyton and he's now in Whipp's Cross hosptal with a stab wound  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11822 on: June 10, 2018, 01:57:59 pm »
Couple of quick test gear related pictures as I'm still dead in the water here.

Worst illustration and explanation of point award goes to RSGB from the full license revision book :palm: ... doing the exam this week so having a quick scan...

I can see sooooo many things wrong there.

Previously requested TEA acquisition pron:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11823 on: June 10, 2018, 01:59:07 pm »
Are there sections of London that are really that bad? NYC used to have "no go" sections but that's no longer true...although some neighborhoods are "safer" than others. Now the same can't be said for cities like Chicago or Detroit.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11824 on: June 10, 2018, 02:03:56 pm »
Couple of quick test gear related pictures as I'm still dead in the water here.

Worst illustration and explanation of point award goes to RSGB from the full license revision book :palm: ... doing the exam this week so having a quick scan...

I can see sooooo many things wrong there.

Shouldn't that work better if it were an in line feed thru termination?

Previously requested TEA acquisition pron:

Nice!  :-+
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 02:06:14 pm by med6753 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf