Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18107657 times)

Vince, Robert763 and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #11375 on: May 29, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
Is it bad that I have considered attaching one to the front of my car?  :-DD

Personally I've always thought that a couple of 20 mm Oerlikons would be just the ticket.
That'll make a change from them being on the back of a pickup truck. :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11376 on: May 29, 2018, 04:45:49 pm »
The Army used the Polish version, they claimed it was for air defence but I think it was primarily to deal with people cutting you up on the North Circular.

"That bloke didn't even indicate, Lads, get him!"

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11377 on: May 29, 2018, 05:08:59 pm »
I wish I had them for the NC. A406 is fucktard central:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #11378 on: May 29, 2018, 05:15:48 pm »
Just another afternoon on I-10... or I-17.  :-DD

mnem
Texas is home of the "Here, hold muh beer and watch THIS!" school of driving.  :palm:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:19:34 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #11379 on: May 29, 2018, 05:22:57 pm »
Just another afternoon on I-10... or I-17.  :-DD

mnem
Texas is the home of the "Here, hold muh beer and watch THIS!" school of driving.  :palm:
Great place.
My youngest did two 6 month seasons on harvest there. Based in Vega on the infamous Route 66 working a little south but mostly north and all the way to Montana on the Canadian border. Absolutely loved it and has a soft spot for you Yanks.  :)
BTW, he's the one that's got the crawler pic'ed a few pages back.

Off now to collect SO back from Perth from visiting the older one.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #11380 on: May 29, 2018, 05:25:14 pm »
I wish I had them for the NC. A406 is fucktard central:

Seems to me you're all fucktards....you're driving on the wrong side of the road!!   :-DD :-DD :-DD :popcorn:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11381 on: May 29, 2018, 05:35:36 pm »
Incorrect. We’ve got our dominant hand on the correct side of the vehicle to stick out and give people the finest wanker fist or middle finger.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11382 on: May 29, 2018, 05:48:57 pm »
I used to ride about 10 miles or so of the A406 twice a day for a while, on a little 125cc scooter. The best I can say for the experience is that it does wonders for hazard awareness and reaction times... if you survive. Your overall opinion of your fellow Londoner drops dramatically, though. Fucktards aplenty.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11383 on: May 29, 2018, 06:08:58 pm »
I’m surprised you’re still alive.

The following users thanked this post: GerryBags

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11384 on: May 29, 2018, 07:48:46 pm »
Having spent something like 38 years driving all over the London area in the course of work I'm pretty well used to that style of driving but what is alarming is the fact that the Fucktards are spreading their bad driving habits outside of London now into places that have become over-spills and dumping grounds for some of the more elitist councils over the years. So if you're like me and have also had experience outside of London, it is easy to spot the areas that have been designated as a London over-spill, just by the driving standards alone, which is very aggressive and so many cars are battle scarred as a result.

I have loads of driving experience all over the South, South East, East Anglia, Home Counties and The Midlands https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_overspill refers to these towns and city's so driving around the country like I have in the course of my work, you become so used to seeing that kind of stupid driving and Fucktards just about sums then up.

Only this weekend while in Harlow for a day, I have had my door mirror clipped as some stupid git drove through a gap in a line of cars in a car park trying to get to the exit in double quick time. Come back from shopping to discover another twat had parked so fucking tight to my drivers door that even fucking Twiggy could not have got in the drivers door. In another car park I was reversing into a gap and the driver in the car on the offside of my car used his fucking horn on me and his wife gave me the beady eagle eye as if I was going to hit their car and my reversing aids were telling me that I was about 4 to 5 feet from their car. I often wonder just how some of these idiots passed their driving tests.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11385 on: May 29, 2018, 08:15:33 pm »
Harlow. Nuff said. zombie chav zone. Used to work in Harlow.

Got my DPD notification that new Rigol is arriving tomorrow. I noticed Telonic will give you a £10+VAT discount if you don’t want the “free” multimeter. The “free” multimeter is a shiny DT830 one you can get from CPC for £4 so the word “free” is a bit misplaced.

Here’s what the “free” DMM is good for. This one came with the last order:

https://youtu.be/s1eiwcRGb6Q

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11386 on: May 29, 2018, 08:42:59 pm »
With you "new" Rigol arriving tomorrow this seems to be highly appropriate  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11387 on: May 29, 2018, 08:50:55 pm »
Hahaha  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11388 on: May 29, 2018, 08:52:37 pm »
That brand name seems to be haunting you  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11389 on: May 29, 2018, 09:04:13 pm »
Cheap and cheerful. It’s like buying a kettle in Wilkos. You know it’s going to blow up in N years, the user interface is crap, and you wonder about the rationale for including a blue LED in a kettle but it’ll make enough cups of tea for you before you’re offended at brevity of it’s life.

Edit: actually random user interface rant as some miscreant EE came up with this turd. My new toaster has 4 slots and 2 levers to put the toast down and only one eject button. Fair enough. But it has a flaw. If your toast in the right half is done before the left half, say when someone smells your toasty goodness and says “hey put two slices down for me” then you can’t pop down the left hand side on its own as it won’t latch. You have to move the toast to the right hand side and press that down. Ergo there is right hand sided priority for toasting. Why?!?!? What sick fuck came up with that?!?!? I have never been so pissed off at something so trivial.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:09:23 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11390 on: May 29, 2018, 10:11:10 pm »
What the Fuck!, should have gotten 2 x 2 slice toasters so if that situation crops up, you plug the second one and all's well, plus if one should fail, then you are not left high and dry, well  in this instance. You should have used the CRO rule, always get at least 2 CRO's , the 2nd one to help repair the 1st if it fails |O

Seriously though, that really is a bad design flaw, it should have been treated as basically 2 x 2 slice toasters but sharing a case.  The not only would it be "green" because you would only be using half the elements if you only wanted 1 or 2 slices, but if the scenario you describe happened, then you could drop extra slices in and they would be ready independently of yours, thats a serious design fail right there. 

On other news, more TEA related, today I got my RS invoice for the calibration of the 3478A, the cost was £0.00 and seeing as I was able to do a self calibration using the limited equipment I have to hand, and it seems to be reasonable as it concurs with the various references I have and also of course the plethora of other meters, I'm kinda thinking that this needs to be flagged up to someone at RS in authority in order to prevent this from happening with anyone else's meter and it might also throw into question the validity of some of the meters that they have done and issued certificates for?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11391 on: May 29, 2018, 10:27:03 pm »
You know what, that’s a really damn good idea. Would also mean no two days without toast due to Amazon being shit and not being able to find my house. I like toast!  Bastards!

I think you won pretty good there with the HP3478A.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11392 on: May 29, 2018, 10:28:51 pm »
How do you mean "won", they didn't do anything I did it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11393 on: May 29, 2018, 10:29:31 pm »
Didn’t they do the DC?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11394 on: May 29, 2018, 10:38:12 pm »
No, they didn't because it came back with it reading precisely the same readings it went in with, and TBH, I don't think that I did short out the RAM feed. IIRC the CAL switch was in the enable position and I think I pressed the SRQ button on one of the ranges by accident and wiped out the settings on that particular range and hence why the display was saying "Uncalibrated" because if a single range is not calibrated it won't pass the self test and that message is what it displays by default. I have since calibrated all ranges and it passes the self test and also agrees with my other meters give or take 1 or 2 mV.

EDIT. I have not calibrated the many Flukes meters I have nor the recent HP3466A and seriously doubt that they would agree with so little difference between them if the calibration was not good enough at the mV level. I don't need micro volt measurements and if I did I would get a meter designed for that level of measurement.   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:21:05 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11395 on: May 29, 2018, 11:35:55 pm »
You know what, that’s a really damn good idea. Would also mean no two days without toast due to Amazon being shit and not being able to find my house. I like toast!  Bastards!

I take it that means that, as well as your oven, your grill is bust too .  >:D

Musing idly, as one does, I decided that if I were ever to open a café, I'd call it "The Toast Office".

Oh, and in that vein - does your poorly designed toaster make you want to "go toastal"?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:39:30 pm by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11396 on: May 30, 2018, 12:02:24 am »
What the Fuck!, should have gotten 2 x 2 slice toasters so if that situation crops up, you plug the second one and all's well, plus if one should fail, then you are not left high and dry, well  in this instance. You should have used the CRO rule, always get at least 2 CRO's , the 2nd one to help repair the 1st if it fails |O

Seriously though, that really is a bad design flaw, it should have been treated as basically 2 x 2 slice toasters but sharing a case.  The not only would it be "green" because you would only be using half the elements if you only wanted 1 or 2 slices, but if the scenario you describe happened, then you could drop extra slices in and they would be ready independently of yours, thats a serious design fail right there. 

On other news, more TEA related, today I got my RS invoice for the calibration of the 3478A, the cost was £0.00 and seeing as I was able to do a self calibration using the limited equipment I have to hand, and it seems to be reasonable as it concurs with the various references I have and also of course the plethora of other meters, I'm kinda thinking that this needs to be flagged up to someone at RS in authority in order to prevent this from happening with anyone else's meter and it might also throw into question the validity of some of the meters that they have done and issued certificates for?

Just plug your pecker in the 4th slot and have done with it, man... life's too short.  :-DD

If you need more toast than 2 slots will provide, you need to thin out the brood; if they have to have toast because you're having toast, sure it's the right thing to drop a couple slices AFTER yours are done. But once that's done, the rest is THEIR assache... along with putting up the butter/knife/jelly/spoons.  :o

mnem
This house does not come equipped with a "kitchen bitch". You dirty it, YOU make it clean.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11397 on: May 30, 2018, 12:05:48 am »
Bastards! now I have to go and make myself some buttered toast. Mmmmm, toast!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11398 on: May 30, 2018, 12:09:10 am »
Harlow. Nuff said. zombie chav zone. Used to work in Harlow.

Got my DPD notification that new Rigol is arriving tomorrow. I noticed Telonic will give you a £10+VAT discount if you don’t want the “free” multimeter. The “free” multimeter is a shiny DT830 one you can get from CPC for £4 so the word “free” is a bit misplaced.

Here’s what the “free” DMM is good for. This one came with the last order:

https://youtu.be/s1eiwcRGb6Q
Is that the "free gift" they send you so you're not allowed to be torqued off that the actual 'scope didn't arrive anywhere near the advertised delivery time? They're STILL playing that game?

mnem
The only good Muppets are Electric Mayhem.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11399 on: May 30, 2018, 12:12:17 am »
Bastards! now I have to go and make myself some buttered toast. Mmmmm, toast!

Bastards! Now I have to smell all those delicious carbble-hydrapes!

Do you know how many there are in just a couple slices of toast?!?

TWO WHOLE DAYS' WORTH! And that's not even with jellehhh!

mnem
Back.... back you fiends... back to the depths that spawned you!!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf