Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16916544 times)

Carl_Smith and 83 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #8900 on: March 27, 2018, 08:00:05 pm »
BTW I have sketched up an analogue only controller for one of these irons.

Trying to get parts count down to below China. Reckon I can do it :D

Currently at 4 BJTs, 1 MOSFET, 6 resistors, 1 trimmer and two capacitors for fixed temperature output. This gives PWM proportional control no less :-+

(voltage controlled current source, capacitor, pseudo-UJT/SCR circuit, MOSFET driver)

Need to shape the output a bit better though as it's currently spending too much time in the MOSFET's linear region which means "poof!"

How are you measuring TCPL voltage? The Hakko/OLED T12 controllers do this by turning everything off (actually, I think the original Hakko design did it with AC powering the heater, and the processor would shut off power while the AC voltage was swinging +2V/-2V) every 10th mS or somesuch.

I mean yeah you can make an analog comparator, but then you have to make sure it only samples while power is switched off. Seems to me this is a project that just screams "micro with a PID controller", which is why that's what everybody's using.

mnem
"Always some m***f***r tryin' to ice-skate uphill..." ~ Blade   ;)

It's a bit sneaky. Fundamentally it's an analogue comparator but it's not just that. It has two states: heat and sample. During the sample phase it uses a current source controlled by the tip temperature (tip voltage drives divider, drives current source). This fills up the cap until the comparator (SCR/UJT) triggers based on the set point set by the trimmer. If the iron is hot the charge rate is low. If the iron is cold, the charge rate is fast. The thing heats for around 10ms after this cycle (naff implementation of a miller integrator on the driver transistor) and then the cycle starts again. Effectively it's modulating the off time based on the set point and the current temperature. It is really an intentionally unstable PID loop that resets its own state avoiding loop stability problems and ignores the derivative term.

It's a temperature controlled oscillator with feedback. There you go, that's what it is :)

It sort of works at the moment. Honestly it may need a couple more transistors or a rethink or two yet or a fire extinguisher. It may turn out to have a phase shift I didn't account for and oscillate itself into a fireball. If it does that i'll let it burn and smile gently at the lapping flames.

4 out of 5 things I built never get shown because of the charring and lumps of hair scattered around them.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:03:03 pm by bd139 »

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8901 on: March 27, 2018, 10:36:04 pm »
Damn, dude... that is downright poetic, in a "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" kindof way.  :-+

Thanks, you provided a much-needed belly laugh; I'm at this moment in the process of paying my taxes. As you may imagine, it's a grim and grisly business; the Treasurer takes no prisoners.

mnem
"Death and Taxes, my son... Death and Taxes."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8902 on: March 27, 2018, 10:43:02 pm »
Just filed mine. Earliest ever, I think. And that's about the only good thing to say about tax time.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8903 on: March 27, 2018, 11:56:39 pm »
We did ours Saturday.  Surprisingly, after paying the tax preparer, we ended up with a net refund of $82.  According to the preparer, next year will be much better with the new tax laws.  Be nice to get a break.  25% tax bracket down to 12% and a much better refund. :-+ :-+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8904 on: March 28, 2018, 06:44:42 am »
I love doing my tax return. Think I did it in October so I could file early. My only complaint is that they have made it too easy now. I like a forensic challenge.

I got an audit a few years ago and the inspector was extremely disappointed that I had everything to the penny  :-DD

Then again I’m one of those weirdos who runs their entire life in excel.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8905 on: March 28, 2018, 01:12:55 pm »
We did ours Saturday.  Surprisingly, after paying the tax preparer, we ended up with a net refund of $82.  According to the preparer, next year will be much better with the new tax laws.  Be nice to get a break.  25% tax bracket down to 12% and a much better refund. :-+ :-+
Doesn't a refund mean you overpaid? I don't really see the advantage.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8906 on: March 28, 2018, 01:14:22 pm »
I love doing my tax return. Think I did it in October so I could file early. My only complaint is that they have made it too easy now. I like a forensic challenge.

I got an audit a few years ago and the inspector was extremely disappointed that I had everything to the penny  :-DD

*Crosses fingers and hisses, to ward off the evil portent*  >:D

mnem
I have no idea. None whatsoever.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #8907 on: March 28, 2018, 01:30:34 pm »
Definitely TEA - didn't need it really, got no room for it, but I bought it anyway :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8908 on: March 28, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »

*Crosses fingers and hisses, to ward off the evil portent*  >:D

mnem
I have no idea. None whatsoever.

I don't know which is worst, being employed with some money coming in and having to do tax returns... or...being retired with no money coming in apart from a small pension and not having to do tax returns  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8909 on: March 28, 2018, 01:38:38 pm »
I don't know which is worst, being employed with some money coming in and having to do tax returns... or...being retired with no money coming in apart from a small pension and not having to do tax returns  :-//
There are countries where the latter means you still have to do tax returns. That's the best one.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8910 on: March 28, 2018, 01:43:45 pm »
There are countries where the latter means you still have to do tax returns. That's the best one.
If I was lucky enough to gain some paid work of some sort, I'd have to start doing tax returns again here. :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8911 on: March 28, 2018, 02:04:03 pm »
Definitely TEA - didn't need it really, got no room for it, but I bought it anyway :)

I could hear your great sigh of relief from here :-DD Nice meter though  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8912 on: March 28, 2018, 02:12:10 pm »

A fine acquisition, congrats!

Looks great and new. I've changed to a 34401A as my standard DMM some weeks ago. I'm very happy with it, except for the VFD, which is rather dim. Got to check out the other two, maybe their's are brighter (if they work at all).

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8913 on: March 28, 2018, 06:00:00 pm »

Probably more than you paid for the whole instrument  ;) , but there is [MAKE OFFER] on the listing.

The 34401* is one of the models I peek in on from time to time on fleaBay in hopes of a steal... I do love a crisp VFD.

mnem
*putter-tinker-putter*

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 06:06:01 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8914 on: March 28, 2018, 06:07:41 pm »
Heads up U.K. peeps. There’s a 2467B on eBay for a respectable £230 at the moment in Basildon. Would go for it but I need a spectrum analyser and signal generator more.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8915 on: March 28, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »
Heads up U.K. peeps. There’s a 2467B on eBay for a respectable £230 at the moment in Basildon. Would go for it but I need a spectrum analyser and signal generator more.
Beware, seller thinks that these go for loads of money over here in the UK on Ebay, just checked on the completed listings and there is not a single recorded UK based one sold.

Loads from overseas, mainly the USA however and they do sell over there is true. The unit is absolutely caked in dust and fluff, so it might be a similar tale internally, that might not be a bad thing though, just giving you a heads as the photos of it are low res and small sized.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8916 on: March 28, 2018, 07:25:07 pm »
They sell well here usually. They're just rare. One of the finest analogue scopes ever made.

Marketing video - worth a watch:

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:27:35 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8917 on: March 28, 2018, 07:31:34 pm »
Yep, you're right, I used a poor choice of words there, but the point I was making was that the seller might not be aware of the origins of the ones that they researched or the significant price difference between the locations.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8918 on: March 28, 2018, 10:03:06 pm »
I'd consider the proper value of one of these to be approx US$1040; as that is what user 2465b sells a Cal'd Refurb unit for with shipping. These being the best of the best of the breed, hard to argue with that price really. Anything less than that you get one for is a bargain... especially considering they cost like 13K in the late 90s (Over $25K adjusted for inflation).

The only model better, or so I've heard, was the HD version you see in that video, which is supposed to have an extra long latency, extra-fine grain phosphor that is even crisper and more sensitive than the standard micro-plate CRT. It was supposed to have been optimized to be able to reliably capture 1 nS events legibly enough to photograph.

Cheers and good hunting,

mnem
I'll let the moose do the talking.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8919 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:55 pm »
Doesn't a refund mean you overpaid? I don't really see the advantage.

Yes, it does mean you overpaid. However, it's better than getting fined for underpaying. Ideally, you'd owe just enough to avoid getting fined, but there isn't a huge margin for error.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8920 on: March 28, 2018, 11:02:08 pm »

And a fine meter it is. I have one that looks to be about the same age. It's more stable than my 34410A that's more expensive.

The prices of the 34401A have been rising the past couple years. So, you might come out ahead even if you decide not to keep it long term. It's a good meter, though, and yours looks pristine.

The following users thanked this post: ChrisLX200

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #8921 on: March 28, 2018, 11:19:02 pm »

And a fine meter it is. I have one that looks to be about the same age. It's more stable than my 34410A that's more expensive.

The prices of the 34401A have been rising the past couple years. So, you might come out ahead even if you decide not to keep it long term. It's a good meter, though, and yours looks pristine.

Cosmetically very good, and functionally I see no issues. Calibrated 8 months ago. Decided to buy a 82357B USB/GPIB interface for it but only the Chinese clones seem readily available. I bought a used one but expect it's fake anyway, there are so many fakes around but apparently they do work (mostly).

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8922 on: March 28, 2018, 11:32:48 pm »
My Fake GPIB has been great since I sorted out the 34401a setup (as per the clone thread). For a bench meter it works great and I swing between it and the GW121 or both.

Beware however as it was recently calibrated to keep an eye on it over time you need accurate voltage and resistance standards then a better meter to check it and ........  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8923 on: March 29, 2018, 12:01:53 am »
... and that's why you're here. :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8924 on: March 29, 2018, 12:13:43 am »
Yep, even if you don't need actually that level of accuracy, you will need to know if that last wavering digit is correct or not or you'll never be able to trust the rest of them, and so it begins  :-DD

Not too sure however at what number of digits it starts at but there is a level where at below it we all seem to accept the readings as being right, or near enough right and above we are cautious at best about the readings, its tied in to the rate of the last digit changes at IMHO  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf