Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17707309 times)

uk012 and 126 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5250 on: December 19, 2017, 04:11:08 pm »
I received my decade resistance box today. It's quite a bit larger and heavier than expected. It does seem to be quite accurate, though. Even though it's been scratched up in a few places, I think I can actually clean most of the grime off, which should make it much more presentable than I initially thought it would be.

One knob is missing its aluminium insert. Maybe I'll look into replacing that, but that likely means replacing all the knobs.

Also, post #2000.  :palm:
Any news on the counter yet?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5251 on: December 19, 2017, 04:14:26 pm »
I've asked for them to hold off on invoicing me until I've had the opportunity to look at other things. If I ask them, they'll send me a proper invoice and all should be well :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5252 on: December 19, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »
I've asked for them to hold off on invoicing me until I've had the opportunity to look at other things. If I ask them, they'll send me a proper invoice and all should be well :)
Oh I see, beware though that when I was there a few days ago they told me that they only had 10 left and a week before they had 25 in stock.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5253 on: December 19, 2017, 04:53:55 pm »
Oh I see, beware though that when I was there a few days ago they told me that they only had 10 left and a week before they had 25 in stock.
The sale has been made. It's just a matter of proper invoicing. I appreciate your concern, though  :-+

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5254 on: December 19, 2017, 06:37:01 pm »
Have a wonderful Christmas one and all.

And to you and yours.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5255 on: December 19, 2017, 06:53:49 pm »
So now I am falling further down the rabbit hole of multimeters.  I got rid of my Protek bench meter whilst buying an Aneng AN8009 so I could be multimeter neutral, thus preserving the 7 meter count, 5 for me and 2 for work.  Searching evilbay today (I should know better), I found another HP 3466A that was being sold for parts because the display LEDs didn't match the selection but was shown working/accurate connected to a power supply.  I know that it's dirty gang switches as that was the problem with the first one I bought.  The price was fair enough so it is expected to be here on my birthday next week.  Happy Birthday to me.  Now the decision is to either leave things alone or get rid of my Micronta 22-175A and stay meter neutral.  On the plus side, this 3346 will go on the work side of the bench so will become a non reimbursed business expense tax deduction.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5256 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:35 pm »
Make it an even 5 either side then!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5257 on: December 19, 2017, 07:04:25 pm »
Firstly happy Birthday to you for next week, mines tomorrow and I expect that you're like me, tend to get Christmas and Birthday presents combined sure sucks does that.
Why do you want to be multi-meter neutral? Whats wrong with getting more meters? I for wont judge you for it. As to the HP 3466A, lucky man, they are a nice meter I have one already and just missed on a second one a few weeks back which exhibited the same issue as you describe, I think. It was reading volts but the range indicator was reading something like K \$\Omega\$ etc.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5258 on: December 19, 2017, 08:13:59 pm »
Happy birthdaymas!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #5259 on: December 19, 2017, 08:18:49 pm »
Firstly happy Birthday to you for next week, mines tomorrow and I expect that you're like me, tend to get Christmas and Birthday presents combined sure sucks does that.
Why do you want to be multi-meter neutral? Whats wrong with getting more meters? I for wont judge you for it. As to the HP 3466A, lucky man, they are a nice meter I have one already and just missed on a second one a few weeks back which exhibited the same issue as you describe, I think. It was reading volts but the range indicator was reading something like K \$\Omega\$ etc.

Happy Birthday to you!.  It did suck growing up, the gifts were combined.  My wife, however, makes sure there is a difference between Christmas and my birthday.  What you saw is the same thing I saw in the add.  Funny thing is there were 10 watchers.  I love snatching stuff out from under other people's watch lists.  It was $59.99 plus $15 for shipping, so it was worth it as far as I was concerned.  What sealed it was that it was shown working.  Others that have sold for around the same price for parts/repair were not shown working.  I like the meter and the bright red numbers make it easy on my old eyes.  It is going to have an easy life.  Mostly low\$\Omega\$ measurements and continuity checks with a little bit of VDC and maybe a little VAC added in occasionally.  I actually get a reading of under 1\$\Omega\$ for a thermocouple like I am supposed to instead of all zeros like the 3.5 digit meter that I am currently using shows, so I can match the part to factory spec.  Surprisingly, so does my Aneng AN8008 :-+ :-+  The stupid move on my part was to only buy 1 of the GW-Instek GDM 8251A meters at under $100 when evilbay was saturated with them.  Now that they are more scarce, the price has pretty much doubled.

Make it an even 5 either side then!

Great! 2 more to go :scared: :-DMM

Happy birthdaymas!

Thank you, BD!!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5260 on: December 19, 2017, 08:26:41 pm »
My eldest daughter’s birthday was last week and everyone else does the same with birthdays. We tend to have an unofficial birthday in June which helps spread stuff out a bit otherwise it’s a whole year without cool stuff. She got a new bass guitar for December birthday so she’s happy and I’m broke  ::)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5261 on: December 19, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »
Thank you bd139, my present to myself arrived yesterday, the Fluke 25. What a beast it is, I might stick a handle on it and use it a s a sledgehammer too, I bet it would still work as well. I wonder if any other meters are built to military specs?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5262 on: December 19, 2017, 08:37:44 pm »
Thank you bd139, my present to myself arrived yesterday, the Fluke 25. What a beast it is, I might stick a handle on it and use it a s a sledgehammer too, I bet it would still work as well. I wonder if any other meters are built to military specs?

I think of them as almost literally bulletproof!

Don't forget to read the legend on the back about CH4, and have a look at the battery compartment seal. There's a similar seal between the top and bottom halves.

And to top it all, they are surprisingly accurate.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5263 on: December 19, 2017, 08:44:44 pm »
My eldest daughter’s birthday was last week and everyone else does the same with birthdays. We tend to have an unofficial birthday in June which helps spread stuff out a bit otherwise it’s a whole year without cool stuff. She got a new bass guitar for December birthday so she’s happy and I’m broke  ::)
Hmm, thats not a bad idea, but nobody in my family would go that because it would mean more money to be spent, so I tend to get myself little bits and bobs to make for it, at least its shit I actually want rather then what they think I want. If I get asked what would I like, I get told, I'm not buying that, you want it you buy it so I do  ;D

Does your daughter want to be in a group then? I remember in my teens there was a group called The Honeycombs which featured a girl drummer, which was at the time still very much a male dominated arena.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5264 on: December 19, 2017, 09:05:55 pm »

I think of them as almost literally bulletproof!

Don't forget to read the legend on the back about CH4, and have a look at the battery compartment seal. There's a similar seal between the top and bottom halves.

And to top it all, they are surprisingly accurate.
Yes, you right there again, I was reading somewhere that they are supposed to be IP67 rated which would certainly explain the seals on the rear compartments but I'm not sure that they set to be waterproof, I think that is a byproduct of the military requirement for use in hazardous areas although I'm not too sure just how that works when it is possible to draw a spark when connecting the probes to the circuit under test.

The accuracy is another thing, ok, it is only a 3.5 digit meter but when checked against my 4.5 and 5.5 digit meters, the least significant digit was rock steady and almost bang on incrementing in step with the others so I'm glad to have made the step to get one of these meters, although as you know, I really want to to turn it into a 27. To that end I wont be compromising the integrity of this one, as it is in very good shape indeed with any light scuff marks on the case and display, so I'm looking out for knackered 27 to donate its case or maybe even add a good 27 and pass this 25 onto new owners so they can enjoy its ruggedness as well. 

Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5265 on: December 19, 2017, 09:07:14 pm »
Hmm, thats not a bad idea, but nobody in my family would go that because it would mean more money to be spent, so I tend to get myself little bits and bobs to make for it, at least its shit I actually want rather then what they think I want. If I get asked what would I like, I get told, I'm not buying that, you want it you buy it so I do  ;D

Does your daughter want to be in a group then? I remember in my teens there was a group called The Honeycombs which featured a girl drummer, which was at the time still very much a male dominated arena.

Just remember the queen has two birthdays ;)

She’s already in a band which is an all female metal band and are pretty good (they’ve all been playing for about 8 years now). Think a hybrid of Slayer / Nightwish and Iron Maiden.  :-+ They don’t take any hostages.

I’m hoping my Keysight U1241C is like that. Apparently 3m drop resistance guaranteed (that’s a lot!) and IP67 sealed. Good to 1m of water. I’m not going to test it though :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5266 on: December 19, 2017, 09:22:54 pm »
She’s already in a band which is an all female metal band and are pretty good (they’ve all been playing for about 8 years now). Think a hybrid of Slayer / Nightwish and Iron Maiden.  :-+ They don’t take any hostages.

I’m hoping my Keysight U1241C is like that. Apparently 3m drop resistance guaranteed (that’s a lot!) and IP67 sealed. Good to 1m of water. I’m not going to test it though :D
Seems we have a synergy then, I have a Nephew who has his own group and has his first album being released next month as well.

Yes the U1241C is certainly a big beast as well, is it also heavy? the 25 weighs it 750g and doesn't fit into any pockets either. Like you I don't intend to test it for accidental damage either, just hope when called upon it works well  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5267 on: December 19, 2017, 09:41:27 pm »
I offered that to my daughter (due 25th, but cut out a couple of weeks later!), but she declined.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #5268 on: December 19, 2017, 09:45:53 pm »

Only one Weston cell? Pah. I've got 3, from a local school that was closing down. One is from 1949 and is still good, see
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/poor-man-gets-his-candies-(6x-weston-cells)/msg1338437/#msg1338437
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/a-weston-standard-cell-an-introduction-to-voltnuttery/#more-852

One use for saturated Weston Cells is to use them as thermometers. Until you can do that you can't consider yourself a voltnut  >:D

As for (DC) calibrators, I'd go for a calibrated voltage source, and then a 7 decade KVD.

Good choise  :-+ I know because I have:
4 weston cells in an ovenized  cabinet including all calibration data from new. 
5 calibrators (or more depending the definition)
2 KV dividers
But I do not have the holy grale of voltnutting, an 3458 (hard to confess as a Keithley fan)
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5269 on: December 19, 2017, 09:54:15 pm »
Seems we have a synergy then, I have a Nephew who has his own group and has his first album being released next month as well.

Yes the U1241C is certainly a big beast as well, is it also heavy? the 25 weighs it 750g and doesn't fit into any pockets either. Like you I don't intend to test it for accidental damage either, just hope when called upon it works well  :-DD

Awesome with your nephew  :-+

If you put the 25 in your pocket your trousers would be on the floor by the time you'd walked 30 feet  :-DD

The U1241C isn't quite Fluke heavy but weighs in at a respectable 550g. Doesn't fit in any pockets either. My 8024B is a light weight at 450g.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5270 on: December 19, 2017, 10:01:20 pm »
I'd like to see trousers with a big enough pocket to slip the 25 into, I know my arse is big but not that big that I could have pockets the size of food recycling bags  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5271 on: December 19, 2017, 10:10:55 pm »
The Delta E030-1 arrived, should still be getting an R&S morse demodulator (bought it out of curiosity mostly  :palm:), Advantest wide band FM modulator (TR45101), and the Fluke 5200A before Friday. The first two are DHL/bPost, the last one is UPS, lol. Should be interesting to see how the UPS guy moves it around.

Only one Weston cell? Pah. I've got 3, from a local school that was closing down. One is from 1949 and is still good, see
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/poor-man-gets-his-candies-(6x-weston-cells)/msg1338437/#msg1338437
https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/12/28/a-weston-standard-cell-an-introduction-to-voltnuttery/#more-852

One use for saturated Weston Cells is to use them as thermometers. Until you can do that you can't consider yourself a voltnut  >:D

As for (DC) calibrators, I'd go for a calibrated voltage source, and then a 7 decade KVD.

2 KV dividers
But I do not have the holy grale of voltnutting, an 3458 (hard to confess as a Keithley fan)

I keep my weston cell out in the open, but the room it's in is very temperature stable (21 - 23°C) and dry so it's not much of a concern really.

And for reference, the Fluke 5200A will double as counter weight for when I ever need to lift a car using a lever. |O   >:D

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5272 on: December 19, 2017, 10:42:47 pm »

2 KV dividers

I bid on a 3458, but gave up at, IIRC, 40% of the final bid price. I really couldn't justify that since I have a working Solartron 7081 (probably reading ~20ppm high).

I also have a 7 decade Julie Research KVD, and an ESI  KVD with a 3 decade switch + 2 decade potentiometer. The 7081 agrees with the 7 decade KVM to <3ppm. Not bad for 60yo and 30yo equipment :)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5273 on: December 19, 2017, 10:47:05 pm »
And for reference, the Fluke 5200A will double as counter weight for when I ever need to lift a car using a lever. |O   >:D

The Julie research 7 decade KVD is ~45lbs/22kg. That's not suitable for a "top shelf"; the bench is bad enough :) If I sell it, so that it can be couriered, I will divide it into two bits: 19" rack metal bit plus wooden case.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5274 on: December 19, 2017, 10:47:26 pm »

2 KV dividers

I bid on a 3458, but gave up at, IIRC, 40% of the final bid price. I really couldn't justify that since I have a working Solartron 7081 (probably reading ~20ppm high).

I also have a 7 decade Julie Research KVD, and an ESI  KVD with a 3 decade switch + 2 decade potentiometer. The 7081 agrees with the 7 decade KVM to <3ppm. Not bad for 60yo and 30yo equipment :)
That blue display reminds of my VW Passat, that had lovely blue instrument lighting, uncommon on cars I think. 
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf