Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17686144 times)

Robert763, onsokumaru and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #97925 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:32 am »
Ok lunch time so screwdriver time  :-DD. I have powered it up and it works fine. It was powered down pretty sharply for obvious reasons later...

Looking pretty tidy:

Insides also tidy:

Hole ready for that 10544A to be stuffed in it. This requires a couple of small board mods on this rev which are nice and easy to do.

The reason it's not staying powered up for long  :scared:. At least no one has been at it.

The "half installed" channel C 1.3GHz option which will be populated later. All you need is some schottky diodes, a prescaler IC, MMIC, some RG174 and a BNC connector and blow a hole in the front panel and you're done  :-+

Happy with this one.

RIFAs and 3-legged tants...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97926 on: August 17, 2021, 11:36:26 am »
A clean and tidy HP 54502A 'scope in UK at £120 OBO
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294341131274

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97927 on: August 17, 2021, 11:37:24 am »
Ok lunch time so screwdriver time  :-DD. I have powered it up and it works fine. It was powered down pretty sharply for obvious reasons later...

Looking pretty tidy:

Insides also tidy:

Hole ready for that 10544A to be stuffed in it. This requires a couple of small board mods on this rev which are nice and easy to do.

The reason it's not staying powered up for long  :scared:. At least no one has been at it.

The "half installed" channel C 1.3GHz option which will be populated later. All you need is some schottky diodes, a prescaler IC, MMIC, some RG174 and a BNC connector and blow a hole in the front panel and you're done  :-+

Happy with this one.
I can see that you have 4 bloody RIFA's to evict and plenty of bastard Tants to do likewise, best fire up the old Duratool then. Speaking of which, I managed to block mine yesterday while dismantling one of the Avo's, by forgetting to keep the trigger pulled for a few seconds after desoldering connections   :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #97928 on: August 17, 2021, 12:04:55 pm »
It is very entertaining to watch people fighting for a 3456A.  :-DD
And this blue Tektronix mug is gone. Someone has bought it.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #97929 on: August 17, 2021, 12:06:42 pm »
HP  :-+ Interesting format  :-+ Nixies and works at least it glows :-+ Location  :scared: but at a minimum it seems not to have been driven over by a Tank eBay auction: #113642594552

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Vince, bd139, Peter_O

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97930 on: August 17, 2021, 12:14:27 pm »
Too expensive for me but it looks real cute, would not mind it !  :D
.. especially since it appears to be a 6 digit counter... but only half of them light up on this one ? Feature, or defective ?....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97931 on: August 17, 2021, 12:28:19 pm »

An unusual slip in hp soldering standards there. If you look at the bottom left hand corner of the board you can see quite a few pads where there hasn't been a full flow of solder up through the through holes and out onto the plating.

One of the things I most enjoy about hp boards is the neat little solder fillets on the top sides of boards, with a perfect meniscus of solder just covering the pad and climbing the top side component lead.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97932 on: August 17, 2021, 12:45:12 pm »
HP  :-+ Interesting format  :-+ Nixies and works at least it glows :-+ Location  :scared: but at a minimum it seems not to have been driven over by a Tank eBay auction: #113642594552

.. especially since it appears to be a 6 digit counter... but only half of them light up on this one ? Feature, or defective ?....

Usually only 5 are fitted, unless it has the option, this requires obselete hp custom IC's.
Also the number readout bulbs used in these have a high failure rate IMO.

That particular counter has been on ePay for at least a year, seller didn't accept any of my offers & I gave up and bought one from the US instead for less money.

David

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97933 on: August 17, 2021, 12:48:30 pm »

An unusual slip in hp soldering standards there. If you look at the bottom left hand corner of the board you can see quite a few pads where there hasn't been a full flow of solder up through the through holes and out onto the plating.

One of the things I most enjoy about hp boards is the neat little solder fillets on the top sides of boards, with a perfect meniscus of solder just covering the pad and climbing the top side component lead.

They are wave soldered so this is completely normal. Inspection pass :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Khaveer

• Contributor
« Reply #97934 on: August 17, 2021, 12:49:09 pm »
I just picked up a Keithley 236 on ebay for 200$. What I did not notice when making an offer was that shipping it to Poland will cost another 220$... I really hope I can get it working...

The seller still has a few of them left and seems to accept low offers, so if anyone wants to make the same mistake I did here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154403517485

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97935 on: August 17, 2021, 12:58:20 pm »

Usually only 5 are fitted, unless it has the option, this requires obselete hp custom IC's.
Also the number readout bulbs used in these have a high failure rate IMO.

That particular counter has been on ePay for at least a year, seller didn't accept any of my offers & I gave up and bought one from the US instead for less money.

David

OK my bad ! Searched Google Images with the model number, and saw a 6 digit unit !  BUT.... upon clicking on the pic to access the webpage it was extracted from... saw it was a counter that was modded to accept 6 tubes so as to be used as a nixie clock ! Had no way of knowing just by looking at the pic, I plead non-guilty you honour !   :-//

https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2007/nixie-tube-take-apart/

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97936 on: August 17, 2021, 12:59:00 pm »

They are wave soldered so this is completely normal. Inspection pass :)

I think all the hp boards of a certain vintage are wave soldered, including the surface mount ones (the surface mount option board in my 53132A was definitely wave soldered, it's got the little blobs of glue to prove it). It's not that there's anything wrong with that particular board, it's just that hp normally got their wave soldered boards to look  perfect so that's sub-par for them.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97937 on: August 17, 2021, 01:09:02 pm »
This guy should have at least tried cleaning it before making the following claim:
Gerät ist fast wie Neu 2-3 mal zuhause Gebraucht.....    ...alles im Neuzustand sehe Bilder nicht Gebraucht.

Translation: The device is almost like new, used 2 or 3 times at home......    ...all in new condition, see pictures unused.

And then take a look at the pictures...  :palm:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133850365473

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, wolfy007, bd139, ch_scr

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97938 on: August 17, 2021, 01:15:46 pm »
Each time he used it he’d been wrestling with it in a pit of dirt by the looks  :palm:

I don’t get why people don’t just clean stuff before they sell it. It’s not difficult and it’s free money.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97939 on: August 17, 2021, 01:20:38 pm »
This guy should have at least tried cleaning it before making the following claim:
Gerät ist fast wie Neu 2-3 mal zuhause Gebraucht.....    ...alles im Neuzustand sehe Bilder nicht Gebraucht.

Translation: The device is almost like new, used 2 or 3 times at home......    ...all in new condition, see pictures unused.

McBryce.

The printing on the Min/Max button has been badly worn, so no way is what he claims, run away quick it might made of different meters.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97940 on: August 17, 2021, 01:31:01 pm »
I already have a 289, so I'm not looking for one.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #97941 on: August 17, 2021, 01:31:23 pm »
Reading/learning about the 2960 Cisco:

- the console management is scary for a newbie like me (here is were the pros are swimming I believe, no 192.168 ip to configure stuff)
- DHCP stuff in a layer 2 switch? uh? I thought DHCP is Layer 3

It looks scary complicated.
The more I read the more I tend to bend my knees to Unify....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97942 on: August 17, 2021, 01:34:08 pm »
That’s why I have the FritzBox my ISP gave me. Life’s too short to spend it configuring routers.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #97943 on: August 17, 2021, 01:49:46 pm »
...and yet the stupid little devil on my right shoulder is keeping telling at me: "you will learn soo much about networks, and you finally will understand what a layer 2 switch is, plus if in the future you will need a pro feature you will have it".

Life for curious eng. is a via crucis...

Sorry guys for bombing in the thread about my crazy life... I keep my mouth shout now....
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #97944 on: August 17, 2021, 01:59:38 pm »

McBryce.

The printing on the Min/Max button has been badly worn, so no way is what he claims, run away quick it might made of different meters.

Also look how shiny the F4 button is, that's been well polished by time. Clearly the seller has a sub-optimal relationship with truthfulness.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97945 on: August 17, 2021, 02:46:07 pm »
Reading/learning about the 2960 Cisco:

- the console management is scary for a newbie like me (here is were the pros are swimming I believe, no 192.168 ip to configure stuff)
- DHCP stuff in a layer 2 switch? uh? I thought DHCP is Layer 3

It looks scary complicated.
The more I read the more I tend to bend my knees to Unify....

Having 192.168.0.0/24 up and running makes the fatal assumption that you've got a network of some sort to start with, whereas plugging a serial cable into the console port doesn't. Some days the last thing you need is to debug network problems so that you can debug network problems. Either the console port works or it doesn't, once it does you're in clover.

Frankly there isn't much to configure on a 2960 for most use cases. If you pulled it out of the box and just plugged everything in it'd just work in the same way as a dumb switch. You only have to get into it once you want it to act as more than a dumb switch.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97946 on: August 17, 2021, 02:49:59 pm »
Quick LED pr0n post. Powered up for a minute to test inputs.

This is going to cost me a Bodnar ref by the end of the month as well  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #97947 on: August 17, 2021, 02:54:44 pm »
argllll. Construction permit missing for the "Winter Garden". Notarization postponed until seller brings the construction permit. |O |O |O

Eff my life ...

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #97948 on: August 17, 2021, 02:56:04 pm »
I just picked up a Keithley 236 on ebay for 200$. What I did not notice when making an offer was that shipping it to Poland will cost another 220$... I really hope I can get it working...

The seller still has a few of them left and seems to accept low offers, so if anyone wants to make the same mistake I did here's the link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154403517485

Yeah that kind of thing bites, but I doubt you will repeat the mistake!

You might consider contacting the vendor and asking them to cancel the order or find a cheaper way of shipping it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #97949 on: August 17, 2021, 02:59:25 pm »

McBryce.

Cheeky using a stock image as the main image.

It might have only been used 2/3 times at home - but what happened in between :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf