Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844190 times)

Offline Runco990

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #93125 on: June 28, 2021, 03:06:07 pm »
I've been on a bit of a bidding/spending spree on eBay recently (I blame being stuck in during lockdowns)

One item I bid on arrived today, it was advertised as a "Basic Oscilloscope" - I had a look through the pictures and noticed it was a X/Y Vector Monitor.
I was quite curious about it and thought it was a bit different. I put a bid on it thinking if I win I can build a curve tracer or octopus type tester for it.
Maybe even have it playing "Oscilloscope Music" visuals.

I won the auction and it arrived today, it looks like it has never been used.
I powered it up and had a bit of a surprise, I could see the CRT has long persistence so slid out the orange filter.
It has a P7 (GM) phosphor CRT which I wasn't expecting to see. I'm not really sure what this would have been used for originally.

It is badged Visual Electronics which didn't bring much up on Google, but it seems later on they changed their name to Electronic Visuals and I found a few displays manufactured by them for the broadcast industry, but nothing like this.

I find the P7 phosphor fascinating, so not really sure what to use it for now. It might make a good visual prop for the workshop/house with some graphics or a clock on it?
I could even try some old SSTV with it!

I haven't fully checked the V/div on the X/Y axis, I did put 200mV on the inputs with a calibration device I had at hand and it didn't move by much. So I think it may be 1V/div or more (I should be able to adjust this if needed)

Pictures below and a quick YouTube Video:

Can always build a scope clock! 

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93126 on: June 28, 2021, 03:12:02 pm »
In other news:

I've been meaning to measure the runout on my drill press for a while, and having nothing better to do this afternoon finally got around to it. (I was prompted by the nice non circular holes that my Dremel was making the other day. Different drill obviously, but it reminded me that I ought to get around to measuring the drill press proper.) Chucked up a bit of precision ground rod and got the dial gauge out. Result: 90 microns, 90 bloody microns! (That's about 3 1/2 thou for those still using measurements based on King John's foot). 'orrible.

But I got a nice surprise to go with the nasty one. I drifted the chuck off and measured the (circular) runout of the mounting taper. I couldn't. With a 10 micron/division dial gauge (Mitutoyo, naturally) the needle just wavered. So I haven't put the chuck back on. Now got an order in for an ER20 collet holder with a B16 taper and a set of ER20 collets (all 8 micron runout class). So, an idle "I really ought to get around to that" has set me back the best part of £100, just so's I can get proper round holes. Oh well.

The chuck probably ought to go in the bin, but will probably sit in the back of my tool chest gathering dust "just in case".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, ch_scr

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93127 on: June 28, 2021, 03:33:26 pm »
One of the engineers at work took a Lecroy Wavesurfer off site in his car and smashed the screen  :-BROKE  He didn't bother taking the front cover or packing it properly  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93128 on: June 28, 2021, 03:44:51 pm »
Ah a dumbass. No bonus for him.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #93129 on: June 28, 2021, 03:49:23 pm »
One of the engineers at work took a Lecroy Wavesurfer off site in his car and smashed the screen  :-BROKE  He didn't bother taking the front cover or packing it properly  :palm:

Have you checked that his qualifications are genuine, and not printed off the internet?   :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93130 on: June 28, 2021, 03:55:32 pm »
@ the antipodean contingent, there's a poster asking about how/where to buy a Fluke T6 in down-under-land, if any of you can help:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-t6-1000-pro/
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93131 on: June 28, 2021, 04:03:31 pm »
Oh just remembered, here's another one for Specmaster and factory to have a look at:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363448628974
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93132 on: June 28, 2021, 04:10:55 pm »

Looking at the Digiplan Differential Counter a bit more closely I recalled that I had a old  BT "Display Unit" (some kind of tone decoder, -48V supply, not working, paid £1 at a hamfest) that is in the same style case but not as tall. The height of the basic slim case is increased by adding one or two mouldings each side. The BT unit had one each side and still had the bail handle.
Eight screws and two panels swapped, and the counter no longer has a broken bezel or missing bail handle. It actually looks quite useful.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93133 on: June 28, 2021, 04:12:32 pm »
Oh just remembered, here's another one for Specmaster and factory to have a look at:

Nah, it is already pricey, bound to go higher yet and the buyer has no history, fakespot guard already flagged the seller up needing extreme caution.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93134 on: June 28, 2021, 04:17:19 pm »

Nah, it is already pricey, bound to go higher yet and the buyer has no history, fakespot guard already flagged the seller up needing extreme caution.

Seller is only down the road from me so I can go and smother dog shit all over their car and house if there’s a problem.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, AVGresponding

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93135 on: June 28, 2021, 07:02:47 pm »

That will probably make a lot more than the opening price, despite being from a low feedback/new seller*. Pictures are a bit shite too, haven't they got a higher-res camera?  :bullshit:

*Remembering the problems with new sellers & listing high value item(s) as their first item on ePay, I will be avoiding like the plague, plus I'm not keen on the 123 as previously mentioned.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93136 on: June 28, 2021, 07:32:55 pm »
The 123B looks dodgy to me too. Virtually unused item, new seller 2 day listing  :scared: :scared:
Even if it's not a straight scam there is a good chance that the item is stolen.

For UK buyers wanting something different see
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255033154874

What is not obvious about this cable tv tester is that it includes a 5MHz to 1GHz spectrum analyserand AM/FM receiver amongst it's more obvious  functions. They are quite handy foe hunting down interference. 75R (a F female to BNC female will screw in place of the F connector saver to at least give a BNC)
You would have to sort out a battery charger. The screen looks a bit marked but it's polycarbonate and can be buffed up with a bit of work. No connection to or knowedge of the seller and I don't need another one, just enabling.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93137 on: June 28, 2021, 08:02:56 pm »
Just found some retard signalling out on my daily walk  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93138 on: June 28, 2021, 08:15:51 pm »
Having bought a used Picoscope 2204A last week for £55, an OKish  price for a item that is £95 (inc tax) new, I noticed another used one for £115 which I thought as a bit much. I then did a search and found several new ones on sale for up to £297  :wtf:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264936654645 and www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264936654645
Note the similar user name and identical address. This is one of the leaches who drop ship from Farnell. Amazon etc at huge mark-ups. Strangly a lot of people buy from these sellers.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93139 on: June 28, 2021, 08:16:15 pm »

Yeah right. If our weather was being engineered who the fuck would choose to make it what it has been recently?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93140 on: June 28, 2021, 08:17:08 pm »

Another Bill Gates conspiracy theory?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93141 on: June 28, 2021, 08:17:25 pm »

Yeah right. If our weather was being engineered who the fuck would choose to make it what it has been recently?

Them! Who? Them! 

I had that discussion once with my father.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93142 on: June 28, 2021, 08:24:20 pm »
Having bought a used Picoscope 2204A last week for £55, an OKish  price for a item that is £95 (inc tax) new, I noticed another used one for £115 which I thought as a bit much. I then did a search and found several new ones on sale for up to £297  :wtf:
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264936654645 and www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264936654645
Note the similar user name and identical address. This is one of the leaches who drop ship from Farnell. Amazon etc at huge mark-ups. Strangly a lot of people buy from these sellers.
WTF, do you really think people from them at those silly prices. Is there no way they can be shut down, that might help explain the stupid valuations some sellers place on their old beaten up crap. |O
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93143 on: June 28, 2021, 09:21:06 pm »
I did report it for "price gouging" but as it's not loo rools ar hans sanitiser I doubt ebay will do anything.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #93144 on: June 28, 2021, 09:37:19 pm »
In the realm of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Elfa Distrelec wants 13 money($/€/£) for a 24V LED lamp, in midget groove.  The incandescent is only 3 money. They're crazy. But I guess the prospect of "won't burn out and be needing maintenance" is of value.

Found non-eao incandescents in Germany (it's a #334 lamp for those in the US) for 1 money a piece, which still is expensive but not insane.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #93145 on: June 28, 2021, 09:38:39 pm »

Muntjac? that an't no deer, this is a deer....
Just surfacing and catching up and PC went into some boot loop...... >:(

Best type of deer and heading for the table  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93146 on: June 28, 2021, 10:34:17 pm »
My PC is driving me crazy at the moment, I tried to see if it would be suitable to run Windows 11 when it is released, and it failed, and now it is effing about. I had problems with audio on discord Saturday, since then installed new audio drivers, and it's completely screwed up the settings, and now it will no longer see the headset when plugged in, so no microphone and no headphones, only speakers  :palm:

I may have to wipe it clean and do a complete reinstall, if that happens, I may be gone sometime reinstalling everything  :scared: :rant: :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93147 on: June 29, 2021, 12:58:42 am »
The 123B looks dodgy to me too. Virtually unused item, new seller 2 day listing  :scared: :scared:
Even if it's not a straight scam there is a good chance that the item is stolen.

For UK buyers wanting something different see
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255033154874

What is not obvious about this cable tv tester is that it includes a 5MHz to 1GHz spectrum analyserand AM/FM receiver amongst it's more obvious  functions. They are quite handy foe hunting down interference. 75R (a F female to BNC female will screw in place of the F connector saver to at least give a BNC)
You would have to sort out a battery charger. The screen looks a bit marked but it's polycarbonate and can be buffed up with a bit of work. No connection to or knowedge of the seller and I don't need another one, just enabling.
Farnell are selling this scope for £1497.60 incl VAT, so based on that this one is certainly looking like a fraudulent listing. It could be stolen and if anyone wins it and has to send to Fluke at any point, they might impound it if its reported as stolen, or the winner may just pay for it but never receive it, and the seller slips away into the night  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #93148 on: June 29, 2021, 01:08:38 am »
I may have to wipe it clean and do a complete reinstall, if that happens, I may be gone sometime reinstalling everything  :scared: :rant: :rant:

Good idea. Remember ... nothing can go wrong.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #93149 on: June 29, 2021, 01:36:56 am »
3DP Corner: 4x18650 Battery Box for Bicycle Headlamp

https://a360.co/3h3VOOI                         https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QQ4CCXJ/

I picked this headlamp up for the boi's bicycle a few weeks back; it was approx $4 more than the one I got for my fatBike (which had gone up considerably since my purchase), and came with the battery pack, a charger and even a headband so you could use it for spelunking or whatever.  :-//  But (there's always a butt :palm:) the stupid webbing pouch that came with it for the battery was simply abysmal, so I had to make something that actually works.  ;)

For those who care, relevant fab & assembly details/3DP Nerds stats are here on the 3DP thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/3d-printer-yet/msg3596958/#msg3596958

mnem
 :-/O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf