Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844176 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #9075 on: April 02, 2018, 02:03:34 am »
Sounds like a good deal.

May be I will try to bargain abit more, wish me luck.

So, how'd it go? I saw in the other thread that you got one/some?

Its here in the TEA lair, you missed it  :P

-> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1467600/#msg1467600

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #9076 on: April 02, 2018, 03:09:29 am »

Got it for $3.
Dilbert speaks to me on a visceral level. Still.

Excellent choice. I have one on my desk, too. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9077 on: April 02, 2018, 03:11:11 am »
Sounds like a good deal.

May be I will try to bargain abit more, wish me luck.

So, how'd it go? I saw in the other thread that you got one/some?

Its here in the TEA lair, you missed it  :P

-> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1467600/#msg1467600

Yeah, I saw the photo, but was hoping to hear more about it. How'd the bargaining go, was it in good functional condition, how's the performance, etc.?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9078 on: April 02, 2018, 04:58:57 am »
Interesting Re the UNI-T buy. Got a Dear friend  your xyz has shipped.... this morning. Also interesting is zero items available via ebay.com and the uk? Will wait the 30 days and see if it rocks up.

Is there a thread on rolling a UV Box? Had a good search and cant find one  :-/O So far my conversion is coming up tidy. Need to make a matching light pipe and do some labels.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:00:41 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9079 on: April 02, 2018, 08:12:01 am »
I’m using a shit load of UV LEDs from aliexpress soldered to a bit of stripboard as a UV box. Does the job :)

There is no “box” though.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9080 on: April 02, 2018, 08:20:30 am »
I’m using a shit load of UV LEDs from aliexpress soldered to a bit of stripboard as a UV box. Does the job :)

It's a light board then. Thought you were mounting them into a photo frame or something?

From mobile device so predictive text might have struck again [emoji83]

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9081 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:07 am »
Interesting Re the UNI-T buy. Got a Dear friend  your xyz has shipped.... this morning. Also interesting is zero items available via ebay.com and the uk? Will wait the 30 days and see if it rocks up.

Is there a thread on rolling a UV Box? Had a good search and cant find one  :-/O So far my conversion is coming up tidy. Need to make a matching light pipe and do some labels.
Are you making an eprom eraser?

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9082 on: April 02, 2018, 08:50:45 am »

It's a light board then. Thought you were mounting them into a photo frame or something?

Need to get to Ikea first and I’ve been putting that off. Especially since drawing parallels between it and Costco in idiocracy recently.  They have some nice low self discharge cells for sale now so motivation is growing.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #9083 on: April 02, 2018, 09:05:33 am »
Building a box for developing PCB's 5m of UV strip coming next week. 24W
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9084 on: April 02, 2018, 09:21:01 am »
Good stuff  :-+

I just blew the arse out of the PA I was working on for about the fifth time. Turns out an IRF510 can go with a bang and a half. I’ve had them fizzle and crackle but this was like a gun going off. Future reference: make sure you connect your dummy load properly :D

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Fluke DP120
« Reply #9085 on: April 02, 2018, 10:58:22 am »
Yeah, I saw the photo, but was hoping to hear more about it. How'd the bargaining go, was it in good functional condition, how's the performance, etc.?

Well, the transaction went abit unexpected, the seller raised to 50 bucks.

As previous unpacking photo, its still in a really good condition, no sign of extensive used, and also both probes tips don't show any tear or wear, I guess its NOS.

I have not test it extensively yet, just a brief measurement on 220V mains line as attached photo below with Rigol DS1104Z.

PS : The two probes on the mains outlet are from Agilent/Keysight's DMM as they're detachable and fit in nicely at the Fluke's banana input jacks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 11:01:27 am by BravoV »

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9086 on: April 02, 2018, 11:52:19 am »

Personally I don't mind at all you posted in TEA thread here, but imo it will such a waste, as it might be useful for others that looking to start a similar build.

Suggesting to make a new thread at the right forum's section for it instead of buried in here.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke DP120
« Reply #9087 on: April 02, 2018, 12:04:14 pm »

Bloody hell, I wish the mains around here looked so much like a sine wave! That's remarkably clean looking for this day and age with an SMPS in everything and LED lights with horrible power factors everywhere.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9088 on: April 02, 2018, 12:09:33 pm »
Indeed. Mains here looks like a fucked up square wave.

I am observing through a transformer however (poor mans HV differential probe :) )

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #9089 on: April 02, 2018, 12:28:24 pm »
Bloody hell, I wish the mains around here looked so much like a sine wave! That's remarkably clean looking for this day and age with an SMPS in everything and LED lights with horrible power factors everywhere.

That was taken near noon, while at the mid day, the sine wave can shape even better.

I live in residential area where no industrial complex within 10 Km radius. This real estate is relatively new as everything were built from zero at the infrastructures in less than 15 years. I guess it has new & better distribution and electrical infrastructure.

I've logged the mains line at few occasions for few days in continuous logging, the mains AC voltage average was about 225 Volt and never crossed between 210 - 235 volt.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #9090 on: April 02, 2018, 12:31:16 pm »
Wow... you guys are all doing interesting stuff today; I'm still... digesting.  :-DD

mnem
*Hung over from too much good food and candy*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9091 on: April 02, 2018, 02:43:01 pm »
Delayed unboxing of my TM515 Tektronix 'Traveller' Mainframe. Aaaand...
MEH!
With lots of clacking sounds, 4 nuts 1 blue transparent plastic cover 1 piece of black plastic spilled out.
Also, two of the little plugin guides on the upper edge are loose. And the retainer is missing. To be fair, I could have seen the last one. Also, no wire bail.
Blemph! Didn't want another inpatient, but a working extension of my TM500 system. Now safety dictates that I take it apart.
On the plus side, I grabbed a bag full of MC test accessories, a ceramic tweezer from VOMM for 7.- instead of 117.- and a set of triangle spanners down to 3mm edge length.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9092 on: April 02, 2018, 03:10:23 pm »
*Sigh*

Started assembling my new "postage stamp" sized workbench and transferring my essential equipment over to it. As you may imagine, my internal dialogue has been going back & forth :rant::scared::blah: quite a bit over the definition of "Essential"...   :-DD

Fortunately, the exigencies of time and restrictions of a limited amount of horizontal space are forcing me to think rationally about what I ACTUALLY USE on my workbench vs what I like to see on a workbench... however the results are most disheartening to say the least.  :o

mnem
I think its time for a coffee break...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #9093 on: April 02, 2018, 04:17:57 pm »
Downsizing the workbench?   :scared:

I'm going to have nightmares, now.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9094 on: April 02, 2018, 04:23:47 pm »
I've been toying with the idea of building a half-width rolling rack that I can stack up with PSUs and other things that don't always need to be immediately at hand while working. Then I can push that under the desk when I'm not working and when I am it'll free up a bit of benchtop space for actual work.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9095 on: April 02, 2018, 04:51:28 pm »
*Sigh*

Started assembling my new "postage stamp" sized workbench and transferring my essential equipment over to it. As you may imagine, my internal dialogue has been going back & forth :rant::scared::blah: quite a bit over the definition of "Essential"...   :-DD

Fortunately, the exigencies of time and restrictions of a limited amount of horizontal space are forcing me to think rationally about what I ACTUALLY USE on my workbench vs what I like to see on a workbench... however the results are most disheartening to say the least.  :o

mnem
I think its time for a coffee break...
I'll help you then, DMM and T12 done🤣

Who let Murphy in?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9096 on: April 02, 2018, 06:41:51 pm »

Well, the transaction went abit unexpected, the seller raised to 50 bucks.

Doubled!?! :wtf: Ah, well. It's still a good price for diff probes.

As previous unpacking photo, its still in a really good condition, no sign of extensive used, and also both probes tips don't show any tear or wear, I guess its NOS.

I have not test it extensively yet, just a brief measurement on 220V mains line as attached photo below with Rigol DS1104Z.

Seems to be good for general use. Congrats on that find.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #9097 on: April 02, 2018, 07:05:36 pm »

Doubled!?! :wtf: Ah, well. It's still a good price for diff probes.

Seems to be good for general use. Congrats on that find.
I think the price was $45 before. Though I do hope he didn't raise the price unexpectedly. I have zero patience for people who pull that on me.

Raising the price at all is generally unacceptable. If you didn't do your homework at first, you learned a lesson worth the difference. Your word should be final.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9098 on: April 02, 2018, 08:15:24 pm »
Oh, it probably was $45, now that you mention it. I don't know why 25 was stuck in my memory bank. Brain fart.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9099 on: April 02, 2018, 08:34:43 pm »
Downsizing the workbench?   :scared:

I'm going to have nightmares, now.

After much moving and fitting and refitting and cursing, I decided that my two 18" x 48" tables just couldn't be made to handle the work itself that I already have queued up, much less that and even a couple small wire racks of gear. I gave up and brought the 29" x 91" marble slab into my little corner of the living room; now I can put two small racks up for gear and to hold lighting, and then I can put my basic gear and a few bins of the stuff I always use on the racks.

Common sense (otherwise known as the part of me that likes to sleep in his nice comfy bed) dictated that as my need for their "particular set of skills" is no longer a daily thing, I should move my 2465 and its cousins to the scope cart "I've been gonna weld up" for mumbleteen years now... for now they sit forlornly in the bottom of the closet around the corner where I've stowed most of my bins.  :o

Cheers,

mnem
*Off to pick up the kidzz*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf