Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844052 times)

factory, EggertEnjoyer123 and 115 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #8950 on: March 29, 2018, 01:54:06 pm »
if (bob_was_not_paid && (ncalls++ % 2000 == 0)) dial_911_suckers();

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #8951 on: March 29, 2018, 02:14:39 pm »
Yeah, except these are supposed to be brand new, never-in-service units being repaired by the factory service center. My guess is "Rework" units sent back by the stores which they'll later sell as "Refurb".

As with most of the thread's respondents, my amusement is over the time frame of WEEKS where they still haven't figured out how to resolve the issue.

I suspect it has more to do with keeping the live update functionality working than anything; if these phones have been on the network, then don't call home to mommy every x number of days, each one probably gets automatically flagged as a rogue or jailbroken unit that then costs somebody with admin privileges y amount of time x 2000-ish units.

mnem
*back to my cave*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8952 on: March 29, 2018, 02:46:11 pm »
Big Brother is watching you  :rant:

Once you pay for something it should be your right to jailbreak it or whatever you wish to do with it....
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8953 on: March 29, 2018, 02:54:43 pm »
Unless it involves the NHS paying to have it removed from you  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8954 on: March 29, 2018, 03:35:03 pm »
Big Brother is watching you  :rant:

Once you pay for something it should be your right to jailbreak it or whatever you wish to do with it....

Imagine THAT...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: neo, djos

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8955 on: March 29, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »
Ah, very effective use of the no-shrink-wrap, no-click, no-scroll EULA (Evil User License Agreement). ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8956 on: March 29, 2018, 05:21:39 pm »
I am a lightweight. Today's purchase qualifies as an Anchor for my Hobie Kayak  8)

I almost got one of those a few times. Interested to hear about your impressions after you've had some time with it.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8957 on: March 29, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »
I almost got one of those a few times. Interested to hear about your impressions after you've had some time with it.
Totally the same on my side! Last one was just a few days ago-

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8958 on: March 29, 2018, 08:15:55 pm »
Ah, very effective use of the no-shrink-wrap, no-click, no-scroll EULA (Evil User License Agreement). ;D
The fun part is that that type of EULA has never been properly tested in court. Companies employing them know they stand to lose a lot and are likely to do so, so they'd rather have things stuck in legal limbo. That way you still get to scare people.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8959 on: March 29, 2018, 08:17:12 pm »
I’ve never read one. Only place a contract is enforceable is in court and all my software is owned by a limited liability shell company or is open source :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:18:51 pm by bd139 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8960 on: March 29, 2018, 09:11:50 pm »
That way you still get to scare people.

Yes, the power of FUD.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8961 on: March 29, 2018, 09:48:02 pm »
I am a lightweight. Today's purchase qualifies as an Anchor for my Hobie Kayak  8)

If it performs it should be pretty good as per this video, might be worth investigating these more?

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8962 on: March 29, 2018, 10:37:09 pm »
Should be a reasonable transfer standard providing its stability is good. Worst case it should contain some nicely matched Fluke Resistors  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8963 on: March 29, 2018, 10:49:21 pm »
The 515A manuals that I found online are missing pages from the first couple of sections. But, I found this summary document that has the spec tables:

http://aemera.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/SOP-033.pdf

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8964 on: March 29, 2018, 11:06:15 pm »
Found another useful bit of test gear today.

A polystyrene box some shit from China came in. This is now being repurposed as a cheap ass's mini environmental chamber with temperature sensor (2n3904) and heater (2W resistor) for doing drift measurements :D

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8965 on: March 29, 2018, 11:22:14 pm »
I hadn't got around to looking for a manual. Found one here which seems complete https://elektrotanya.com/fluke_515a_portable_calibrator.pdf/download.html

NiCad batteries will need to go in favour of LiPo's. I should have it late next week as it is only coming from the other end of the state.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8966 on: March 30, 2018, 12:25:16 am »
Yes, that one has the missing pages. Thanks, bean.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8967 on: March 30, 2018, 12:46:06 am »
Will tear it apart when it arrives in a separate thread and have more of a look for a manual. Interesting it has Hermetically sealed Resistors with trim in fluke snipable style so I am in front on the purchase price there for a start.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8968 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:22 am »
I'm looking into buying a DMMCheck Plus and have the option to pick two frequencies between 50 Hz and 20 kHz. I'm currently not doing much work that involves specific frequencies like audio or radio stuff, mostly microcontrollers. I'm thinking of picking 100 Hz and something close to the far end of the scale, so that it'll cover most of it to have a high resolution so to speak. Does anyone here have a better idea? Any specific frequencies that are useful in day to day electronics?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8969 on: March 30, 2018, 01:55:28 am »
Buy a Valhalla 2703 to calibrate your AC ranges to 1200V. No need to worry about Frequency then they are all covered to 100k  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8970 on: March 30, 2018, 01:56:26 am »
I'd go with 1kHz, so many things are measured/specified at 1kHz that it's a good point to have a reference for.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8971 on: March 30, 2018, 02:13:26 am »
I'd go with 1kHz, so many things are measured/specified at 1kHz that it's a good point to have a reference for.
Not a bad idea either.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8972 on: March 30, 2018, 04:33:44 am »
NOTE: This message has been deleted by the forum moderator Simon for being against the forum rules and/or at the discretion of the moderator as being in the best interests of the forum community and the nature of the thread.
If you believe this to be in error, please contact the moderator involved.
An optional additional explanation is:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 05:17:34 pm by Simon »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8973 on: March 30, 2018, 05:04:39 am »
I'm looking into buying a DMMCheck Plus and have the option to pick two frequencies between 50 Hz and 20 kHz. I'm currently not doing much work that involves specific frequencies like audio or radio stuff, mostly microcontrollers. I'm thinking of picking 100 Hz and something close to the far end of the scale, so that it'll cover most of it to have a high resolution so to speak. Does anyone here have a better idea? Any specific frequencies that are useful in day to day electronics?

I was pondering the same thing when I was looking at the DMMCheck Plus. As I haven't bought one, I didn't come to a conclusion. However, I was thinking about 1kHz because it's quite common for testing. However, you could also choose 10 kHz (one of the ESR testing frequencies) and divide it down to other frequencies, including 1 kHz, as needed.

The other frequency that might be useful is your line frequency (50 or 60 Hz), which could then be amplified into an AC source.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8974 on: March 30, 2018, 05:29:53 am »

I was pondering the same thing when I was looking at the DMMCheck Plus. As I haven't bought one, I didn't come to a conclusion. However, I was thinking about 1kHz because it's quite common for testing. However, you could also choose 10 kHz (one of the ESR testing frequencies) and divide it down to other frequencies, including 1 kHz, as needed.

The other frequency that might be useful is your line frequency (50 or 60 Hz), which could then be amplified into an AC source.
Some of the obvious numbers like 32768KHz and 100 kHz are out of range and there are not as many obvious choices in the lower range. If I get 16 kHz I will be able to easily flipflop it down to 1 kHz. That would allow for both a higher frequency and that 1 KHz. Or I make 1 kHz the low number, though I've been thinking about the line frequency too.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf