Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481470 times)

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #89175 on: April 25, 2021, 07:33:12 pm »
Nope, nothing high-end here. That pickup looks nice with it die cast metal body. Wish I had one though, Google found a NOS one for sale at 189 Euros ?! :o 

http://www.lasertrader.de/english/index.htm?frame=sg_opticallaserpickup_hifiupto1995.htm

Overpriced though.. since they also sell Philips CDM4/19 used units for 50 Euros, when this one is found in lots of layers you can find for 10 Euros. So I could make a 40 Euros profit for every 10 Euro spent, good deal !  :-DD  Have a few CDM4/19 but they are cheaply engineered.

Much prefer the cast CDM 4/11 and brushless motor. Have a white one that looks sexy as hell. I am more into old Philips swing arms now, with the CDM4/11 in white being my favorite. The CDM 4/19 was starting to go downhill...

Anyway, the only " high-end" pickup I have, with a cool cast metal body like the one you are talking about, is one I found in a cool Technics player that has linear motor to move the pickup. Looks cool, uncommon. I don't know the make and molde of that pickup, but looks different to the one you are after. Plus, I love this player (from an engineering perspective... as a player it does not work at present.. might try to fix it at some point).

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #89176 on: April 25, 2021, 07:43:01 pm »
wow.
Thanks for the link, I thought they had sold out years ago.
btw, totally worth it, the Nakamichi players go for insane money, and I have a couple of those, namely OMS 5/7 Mk2 (both of them), OMS4 and OMS 3, the latter 2 not functioning.

May try to swap out the toasted mechanic from the oms3 and put it into the oms 4, the laser of the 4 is completely toast where as the mechanical drive of the OMS 3 is broken.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89177 on: April 25, 2021, 08:01:49 pm »
Keep in touch Vince.  :'(

Hey no worries I am still there...  only giving up on keeping up with the insane daily traffic on here. Will still keep en eye, and I think also drop a quickie every time I start a new thread in the repair section of the forum, since most of my repairs are about old test gear.
Would probably also post when I have a question related to test gear of course, since the collective knowledge on here is vast no doubt.

Think it might be time to start work on that old Philips scope I bought for dirt cheap some time ago, with the sole purpose of turning a profit.
Might get 50 to 75 Euros from it, if I can fix it. Should be enough to pay the paint I need to buy to finish the house (remains toilets and bathroom to be done).

Slowing down on TEA and lab stuff in favour of the house construction work, but slowing down only, not taking it to a complete stop ! That I could not live with, need my dose of electrons to remain sane  ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 08:45:20 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, cyclin_al

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89178 on: April 25, 2021, 08:14:57 pm »
wow.
Thanks for the link, I thought they had sold out years ago.
btw, totally worth it, the Nakamichi players go for insane money, and I have a couple of those, namely OMS 5/7 Mk2 (both of them), OMS4 and OMS 3, the latter 2 not functioning.

May try to swap out the toasted mechanic from the oms3 and put it into the oms 4, the laser of the 4 is completely toast where as the mechanical drive of the OMS 3 is broken.

Oh, you sound like an audiophile, which I am not... so I will trust you on these players ! ;D
Yes, if you can make a working pickup from several spares, that's by far the cheapest route ! ;D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #89179 on: April 25, 2021, 09:08:30 pm »
Tried to murder a UNI-T UTG362E ... it survived .. and it has some extra holes here and there  :-DD

if you want external ref... go for Feeltech.. they use 10 MHz... and easy to mod..

How was the size of this thing a surprise Tony...?  :o

The MFR's videos show it next to (IIRC) a 1054Zed, and I've posted numerous pics of this sig-gen with my 54645A all over eevBlog since I got mine for Christmas; first with the wedge base I printed up to tuck it underneath, as seen above, then again a PSA regarding the really crappy BNC jacks that come on it:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3392706/#msg3392706

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3410116/?topicseen#msg3410116

You might want to follow up on the latter; I found the BNCs that came on mine were actually damaging the center pin on my BNC cables.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #89180 on: April 25, 2021, 09:10:46 pm »
Remember I said that I had strong evidence that nuvistors need an extended burn-in after years of slumber?

To wit: The Type 1A1 Vertical plug-in from the Type 547. It is loaded with at least 6 nuvistors. And I tested it in the Type 535A and topped out both vertical gain pots and couldn't get it spec. Been letting it burn-in all afternoon and now vertical gain is right at spec but gain pots are still topped out. But at least that's progress and I'm sure there's more "gain" to be had.

I'm convinced nuvistors do not like a long Rip Van Winkle sleep.  :=\   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89181 on: April 25, 2021, 09:31:46 pm »
Told you there was a project hiding on all those tubes  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89182 on: April 25, 2021, 09:53:51 pm »
Speaking of projects, I've assembled today one of those huge A4 PCBs designed by Big Clive.
Very satisfying. Just soldering the 1206 and LEDs and then watching the result. :)
So relaxing ...

And on Saturday a little parcel from China arrived, containing some OCXO and a little surprise add-on:

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:56:13 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, syau

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #89183 on: April 25, 2021, 10:03:32 pm »
3-TEA-printed object

Having an anal need to have my hp power meter sit level atop a different (ahem) manufacturer's item, I whipped up a very simple but useful (for me) part. A riser for the hp style feet.

It fits into the bottom of the foot using a nub that seats into the (almost) square opening. I don't know if anyone has made this before (I didn't see) but it's made now. It's pretty simple but if anyone wants the file let me know. I'd imagine you would want the F360 file, since the height of it now is completely determined by the particular need I had.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, cyclin_al

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #89184 on: April 25, 2021, 11:23:20 pm »
For those of us who wanted some OCXO playthings but don't feel the NEED for 10. This seller has a twofor sale reduced for 3 hours more eBay auction: #143779790317 now for the waiting......  :)
You rat bastard.

I stayed away because of the prices for 10 - but now I am waiting on two pair ..... all thanks to you.
AAAAAAAAANNDD.... they are out for delivery today - according to Australia Post (which are pretty spot on with such notifications).

So - someone please tell me - WHY is it that something you are not in a hurry for turns up in 2 weeks, when the estimated delivery time starts at more than 3 weeks and runs out to nearly 11 weeks?

I haven't had time to let the GPSDO thoughts fade away enough to save my wallet.   :palm:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #89185 on: April 26, 2021, 12:28:50 am »
Lame-Brain seller alert:
"Channel 3 and 4 just need recalibration"  :palm:  |O

Uhh Huh. Sure BoBo. Sounds like your channel 3 and 4 are not working correctly  :-BROKE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203386304462
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 12:32:28 am by salvagedcircuitry »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #89186 on: April 26, 2021, 12:57:27 am »
Seriously stop spouting 'maybes' as 'reasons. Life has risks so on this application get over the  :bullshit:

Q1: is it a risk to yourself (->I don't care) or a risk to others (->I do care)?

Q2: is the benefit worth the possible penalty?

Q3: is there another way of avoiding the penalty?

The answer to the first question is the most important, since it trumps Q2 and Q3.

And spouting more  :bullshit: when it is NORMAL industry practice to use this method? Irrational spouting of ambit non specified risks without 'evidence' is just crap.

Hopefully people in industry have been trained what to do and possible hazards. I most countries there is a legal requirement to wear eye protection when carring out this kind of "normal industry practice". This risks may not be obvious to eveyone who might read this forum.

Safety is all about maybes. It's part of of my day job to think of the maybes and ensure they are mitigated against as far as reasonably practical.

Given some of the things written on this forum, I'm certain that risks wouldn't be obvious.

One of the things about professional engineers is that they consider not only how something works, but also how something fails.

So as a 'Professional Engineer' you will be giving out Safety advice about Bridge Building and Construction next too  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89187 on: April 26, 2021, 04:34:09 am »
Lame-Brain seller alert:   "Channel 3 and 4 just need recalibration"  :palm:  |O

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203386304462]https://www.ebay.com/itm/203386304462

Uhh Huh. Sure BoBo. Sounds like your channel 3 and 4 are not working correctly  :-BROKE

LOL... looks like one or more of us "advised" him that nobody who would be interested in that scope would take him seriously with a red flag like that in the description; especially at that price.  :-DD   I'm sure y'all were just as sweet as sugar, too... >:D

mnem
*toddles off to ded*  :=\
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 04:37:09 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: salvagedcircuitry

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89188 on: April 26, 2021, 05:23:40 am »
   https://xkcd.com/705/

mnem
you know when you are. >:D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, syau, srb1954

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #89189 on: April 26, 2021, 06:18:50 am »
@beanflying
that's actually quite easy. Don't fall off and don't stand under it while it is collapsing ....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89190 on: April 26, 2021, 06:40:23 am »
@beanflying
that's actually quite easy. Don't fall off and don't stand under it while it is collapsing ....

I was once told by an engineer of that variety to avoid buildings with roofs and bridges with spans.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89191 on: April 26, 2021, 06:45:11 am »
@beanflying

I was once told by an engineer of that variety to avoid buildings with roofs and bridges with spans.

I hope, he was a "professional engineer" then.   >:D :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #89192 on: April 26, 2021, 06:53:27 am »
Tried to murder a UNI-T UTG362E ... it survived .. and it has some extra holes here and there  :-DD

if you want external ref... go for Feeltech.. they use 10 MHz... and easy to mod..

How was the size of this thing a surprise Tony...?  :o

The MFR's videos show it next to (IIRC) a 1054Zed, and I've posted numerous pics of this sig-gen with my 54645A all over eevBlog since I got mine for Christmas; first with the wedge base I printed up to tuck it underneath, as seen above, then again a PSA regarding the really crappy BNC jacks that come on it:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3392706/#msg3392706

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg3410116/?topicseen#msg3410116

You might want to follow up on the latter; I found the BNCs that came on mine were actually damaging the center pin on my BNC cables.

Cheers,

mnem
 :-/O

Thanks mnem  :-+,
guess i missed that... yes the bnc's are those white plastic onces.... allmost look like 75 Ohms onces...
but they fitted nice here....maybe they improved?

edit: i read now your post, ..you even mention the 75 Ohm too :))
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:00:18 am by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline FransW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89193 on: April 26, 2021, 07:38:47 am »
http://w7zoi.net/rca_plugs-sockets.pdf

The article might benefit from an impedance vs frequency graph.
The way it is written does not give any clues.
PE1CCN, Systems Engineering, HP, Philips, TEK, BRYMAN, Fluke, Keithley

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89194 on: April 26, 2021, 08:18:16 am »
I see that Big Clive is on todays AMP hour with Dave.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline psykok

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89195 on: April 26, 2021, 08:22:46 am »
Page 3562A...

1 kHz sine fundamental

1 kHz square fundamental with harmonics.

This machine was a lucky eBay score that I got for tiny money.

The 3562A is an amazing piece  of equipment and there is not actual equivalent.

The only downside is the size of this beast.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #89196 on: April 26, 2021, 08:27:51 am »
@beanflying

Professional Software Engineer no doubt  :-DD

Fancy Lead Stash arrived today too. Ex Digikey 6 days from order not sure how much cooling the pack was still doing. Plus some other TEA building goodies in the usual oversized box.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:33:20 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #89197 on: April 26, 2021, 08:31:38 am »
Got a small package from china, too.

As I've murdered by my own imbecility my neat and handy AD587 reference board (note to myself: they don't like reverse polarity supply at all  |O), I found and ordered some quite cheap AD587 (missed the opportunity to get one of the boards DC1MC discovered).

They arrived in good shape, looked new and pristine, but were quite obvious fakes. Unadjusted output looks OK, but temperature drift and power supply rejection is way off. Also, the external adjustment range doesn't meet the datasheet at all.

At least I've got the refund within half a day and no discussions.

The other item is that neat isolation amplifier (ISO122), quite cheap too.

These also look unused and shiny, and are working too. There's not much of a choice of chips one could package as a faked ISO122 that is working and behaving like an ISO122, so I believe these might be the correct chips inside. But they're at the margins (and somewhat over) of their specs (fuil scale gain, linearity), so I think these might be factory rejects that found their way to chinese sellers.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 08:34:13 am by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, salvagedcircuitry, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #89198 on: April 26, 2021, 08:38:49 am »
Got a small package from china, too.

As I've murdered by my own imbecility my neat and handy AD587 reference board (note to myself: they don't like reverse polarity supply at all  |O), I found and ordered some quite cheap AD587 (missed the opportunity to get one of the boards DC1MC discovered).

They arrived in good shape, looked new and pristine, but were quite obvious fakes. Unadjusted output looks OK, but temperature drift and power supply rejection is way off. Also, the external adjustment range doesn't meet the datasheet at all.

At least I've got the refund within half a day and no discussions.

The other item is that neat isolation amplifier (ISO122), quite cheap too.

These also look unused and shiny, and are working too. There's not much of a choice of chips one could package as a faked ISO122 that is working and behaving like an ISO122, so I believe these might be the correct chips inside. But they're at the margins (and somewhat over) of their specs (fuil scale gain, linearity), so I think these might be factory rejects that found their way to chinese sellers.

Do you need some replacements?  ;D

https://www.ebay.de/itm/233981212016

NAWTS 

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #89199 on: April 26, 2021, 08:45:43 am »

NAWTS 

NIce, even the price tag looks OK. Still a bit too expensive as I need only one piece.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf