Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685699 times)

onsokumaru, Vince and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #86600 on: March 28, 2021, 12:26:39 pm »
Why is my slipper wet?  :wtf: I didn't fully tighten the drain valve on this leg attached urine bag and I just pissed on myself, the slipper, and the carpet.  |O |O I guess I'm not house trained anymore.  :-DD Monday morning I'm calling the urologist and finding out when I can get in there and get this shit removed.  :scared:

FML.  ::) ::)
If its cold or snowy outside, just don't go out then while you doing that, or you'll get chapped legs  :-DD

There is an old cure for blistered feet while hiking you pee on your socks or boot so the leg should be fine  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86601 on: March 28, 2021, 12:31:00 pm »
Here's an example of "cash" vs "credit/debit" pricing in California where this station charges 10 cents extra if you use a debit or credit card. Total legal scam.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #86602 on: March 28, 2021, 12:36:33 pm »

^-^

Look good now lets see how the derafting goes  :-DD Sometime or another try the glass flipped over cleaned properly as earlier no glue and just a brim on one ;)

Very well, in fact. Only two of the feet had small pieces of raft which had to be persuaded off with a blade.

The dimensional properties however were less successful. I did think they looked a bit small, and indeed they don't really lift the TE sufficiently for a proper air gap between instruments, and have an annoying tendency to fall out of the slots if you don't hold them in place with some tape or something. So I now have 9 low profile HP feet, if anyone wants them...

Found some standard height ones, two different designs, going to print one each to test them, along with a couple of other bits and pieces.

@Neomys, you've made me want to play with my drawer full of neons, now! Turns out my  TTi EX354 has enough with the outputs in series (71VDC) to trigger them, so I'm going to rummage through my caps to find suitably rated ones and have a play.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #86603 on: March 28, 2021, 12:38:50 pm »
Since the subject of fuel prices came up I got a few rants about gas stations on this side of the pond.

First, the stupid tradition of charging nine-tenths of cent additional per gallon. I would love to hand a clerk nine-tenths of a penny.

I don't have a problem with that.  After all, how many times do you actually purchase exactly 1 gallon or exactly 2 gallons, etc.?  It is, after all, simply a rate.  No different to electricity supply, taxi fares or meats from your local deli.

What is fun over in this corner of the world is the way prices change.  Here's the sort of thing we put up with over the last month (and it happens all year round):

Does anyone else have this sort of thing to deal with?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86604 on: March 28, 2021, 12:39:02 pm »
The reason for my computer running so slowly, so it turned to be is that have a habit of clicking on cartoons, jokes and photos etc in general if I like them and saving the files into a folder on another partition on the drive. I created a temp file on my desktop to save photos and other files relating to a project and when I had gathered the files I needed and saved into a folder on the NAS, I forget to delete the folder on the desktop and never redirected my savings to another partition  :palm: It transpired that this local folder had a few hundreds of GB's of photos stored in it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86605 on: March 28, 2021, 12:50:04 pm »
Here's an example of "cash" vs "credit/debit" pricing in California where this station charges 10 cents extra if you use a debit or credit card. Total legal scam.

This is how the prices are displayed over here (this is an old photo) next time I fill up, I'll take a closer look and see if there is anything about surcharges for cards, if there is, then knowing the sneaky way we do things over here, it will be in much smaller print and attached to the pump itself.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #86606 on: March 28, 2021, 12:52:30 pm »
Only $0.30/lb and in New York anyone with a suspect back we know nearby  ::) eBay auction: #353263480395

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86607 on: March 28, 2021, 12:55:28 pm »
Quick bit of refurb on the D755. I did a power supply calibration on it and have recapped the entire horizontal system i.e. plugin, amp etc. This was a complete nightmare unfortunately but it's done now and surprisingly the wonky trigger and broken delayed timebase is now entirely fixed and working nicely  :-+. It is as good as a 465 trigger. Absolutely rock solid.

In fact it's actually starting to work rather well. Next week is vertical system. Week after that is HV.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, ch_scr, factory, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86608 on: March 28, 2021, 12:57:43 pm »

Need to find a suitable tube to stick it in. Only has to go to just over 2.5KV. This is not an anode tester  :-DD

When I get this catheter removed I'll send you the pure silicone tubing. Will be perfect. You'll just have to clean it up a little.  :P :P :-DD

Hahaha that's one thing I don't want second hand  :-DD :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86609 on: March 28, 2021, 01:33:05 pm »
Oh and....in New Jersey it is ILLEGAL to pump your own fuel. An attendant has to do it for you. And these guys are not the particularly fleet on their feet and many barely speak English.   ::)     

What the fuck? Are people that stupid. There are no places in the UK where they will pump your fuel  :-DD
Oh but there a few if you go into the real rural areas of the country you can come a few that will still pump it for you, you need to get out more  :-DD

I must admit that I find it rather uncomfortable having it done for me, after all, if it is a loan car for instance, you might only need to stick in £1 or maybe £2 of fuel before you return the car and your more inclined to say to the attendant, stick a fivers worth in it   :palm:

There is a small garage in Nantwich that does attended service, also possibly the last place locally that is still using pumps with Numitron displays.

David

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #86610 on: March 28, 2021, 01:35:41 pm »
Here's some more eBay picks:

Think of the amount of magic smoke you could release with these bd:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Cisco-1150W-Power-Supplies-MPN-C3K-PWR-1150WAC-V01/294083750918

I have 3 PSU with 1kW output each, 5V/150A, 5V/15A, 2V/15A, 12V/5A. Power Factor Unifier Super-MITE-A. If anyone is interested to smoke up with these, drop me a note :) Shipping however will only be reasonable in Europe.

I have a few 10kW power supplies. If anyone needs a few, let me know  :-DD

hmmmm. I have some ideas ...

Somehow I knew you would be the one to pick this up  :-DD

Eh, well, if you want to play around a bit, PM me.  ::)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #86611 on: March 28, 2021, 01:55:15 pm »
Oh and....in New Jersey it is ILLEGAL to pump your own fuel. An attendant has to do it for you. And these guys are not the particularly fleet on their feet and many barely speak English.   ::)     

What the fuck? Are people that stupid. There are no places in the UK where they will pump your fuel  :-DD

I've always wondered how this place continues to exist, given they are only slightly cheaper than motorway services :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #86612 on: March 28, 2021, 01:57:34 pm »
actually I was extremely tempted regarding that 34401a that you had, currently I neither have time nor space do to a lot of experimenting.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86613 on: March 28, 2021, 02:05:12 pm »
No worries. If you ever have the time to experiment a bit: I have a few 10kW PSU's laying around that need further investigation and would benefit from someone playing around with it. If/when the time comes I'd be happy to send you one free of charge for a time.

The following users thanked this post: Saskia

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #86614 on: March 28, 2021, 02:42:22 pm »
10 cents extra if you use a debit or credit card. Total legal scam.

Personally I think it's a scam that credit card companies are allowed to siphon off a couple percent of every card transaction (net of "rewards") while forbidding stores from exposing their processing fees or, heaven forbid, offering to accept cash at a price that does not include the fees. I also understand that I'm pretty much alone in this feeling, though. Most people love being charged an invisible 5% fee and then given 2% "rewards."  :-//

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #86615 on: March 28, 2021, 02:47:58 pm »
...Unfortunately, the list of supported GPUs is pretty short. And surprise, surprise, surprise... only GPUs flashed with a Mac-specific FW will have the preboot splash.  :palm:
I'm pretty sure, like all the nvidias of that age, is hit by bumpgate; maybe try an "oven reflow"?
Yeah, I actually had considered this; I've been eyeing my cheap hot-air rework station all morning over coffee. So far, the coffee has won out every time.  :-DD

Of course, curiosity ultimately won out... as it always does with the ol' tinkerdwagon. Appropriate flux for the task has been ordered; and I'll have a chance to put my recent Panavise gift to work.  ;D
You don't need any flux to do the rework; the problem is between the silicon and the organic support(intermediate PCB), not between the intermediate PCB and "main board(graphic card)". If you want to use the hot air gun, you will have to heat up the silicon chip, since the cracked bumps are below the chip, not between the supporting PCB and the graphic card himself. If you want detailed explantion, look up bumpgate on semiaccurate.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86616 on: March 28, 2021, 03:05:59 pm »
10 cents extra if you use a debit or credit card. Total legal scam.

Personally I think it's a scam that credit card companies are allowed to siphon off a couple percent of every card transaction (net of "rewards") while forbidding stores from exposing their processing fees or, heaven forbid, offering to accept cash at a price that does not include the fees. I also understand that I'm pretty much alone in this feeling, though. Most people love being charged an invisible 5% fee and then given 2% "rewards."  :-//
Well I will stand shoulder to shoulder with you in this respect. The CC companies make an absolute fortune from their users as many of them do not clear their balances each month and then incur massive interest charges each month and if they can only manage to pay the minimum, they actually pay a bigger premium all together, costing a hell of a lot more than a bank loan would cost and god know, they cost plenty as well.

Many CC companies and Banks are actively looking for ways to discourage those who can clear their balances each month from getting a card now.
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #86617 on: March 28, 2021, 03:11:23 pm »
Why is my slipper wet?  :wtf: I didn't fully tighten the drain valve on this leg attached urine bag and I just pissed on myself, the slipper, and the carpet.  |O |O I guess I'm not house trained anymore.  :-DD Monday morning I'm calling the urologist and finding out when I can get in there and get this shit removed.  :scared:

FML.  ::) ::)
It can be a lot worse - Colostomy Bag Issues. Yes we are Laughing at/with you because otherwise..... :-DD
Had not thought of that scenario. You're right. I feel better already.  ;D ;D

*checking out at the grocery store a few years ago, the cashier eyes the package of XXL diapers for my daughter, who is still having incidents overnight, then eyeballs me too*

I stare right back at him... "I pee a lot. In fact... I'm peeing right now..." * satisfied sigh*

mnem
I made sure to pay in cash, too.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 03:22:47 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86618 on: March 28, 2021, 03:14:09 pm »

You ask that question... in here...?  :o

mnem
*toddles off in search of... optical media to use as Trojan Horse for a Mac*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86619 on: March 28, 2021, 03:20:43 pm »

NJ claims they have it in place for 2 reasons. First, for employment opportunities and believe it or not Senior Citizen's groups in NJ lobby to keep it in place. Too lazy or stupid to get out of their fucking cars.

All gas stations in NJ are mob money laundering nodes. You can do the rest of the math from there.

mnem
*punt!*

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86620 on: March 28, 2021, 03:34:28 pm »
just a quick general function test of the ACME 520 ...

I know, I am holding it wrong.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #86621 on: March 28, 2021, 03:52:59 pm »
Only $0.30/lb and in New York anyone with a suspect back we know nearby  ::) eBay auction: #353263480395

Webster, NY is by Rochester which is 5 hours one way. No way. I'm DONE with road trips for a while.  :o :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86622 on: March 28, 2021, 03:54:21 pm »
could ask my Ontario buddys.

umm. no.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #86623 on: March 28, 2021, 04:36:32 pm »
Since the subject of fuel prices came up I got a few rants about gas stations on this side of the pond.

First, the stupid tradition of charging nine-tenths of cent additional per gallon. I would love to hand a clerk nine-tenths of a penny. I think this stupidity started in the 1920's where gas stations got so cutthroat on competition that some advertised that their gas price was something like three-tenths of a cent less than the guy down the street. I think it's time to end the madness. Go to even penny pricing.   

2nd, many stations charge 5 cents extra if you use your debit/credit card. They claim it makes up for the charge back from the CC companies. I call  :bullshit: :bullshit: In many states the practice is illegal. NYS has not gotten the memo and almost all gas stations do it.

Did you notice the .0 in Zoli's photo?  They do charge a fraction of a cent here in Canada too.  Since prices went over a dollar quite a few years back, it may not show the actual price since many pumps have only 3 digit resolution.  The actual price in that photo may be anywhere between 110.0 and 110.9.
The prices I quoted are where I go to buy gas, which is out of province, and not the much higher taxed prices in my locale.

Here, they are forcing out cash by claims of too much gas & run theft.
Nowadays, if you pay cash, you have to go into the store, pay cash, pump and then go back for any refund if you pumped less than what you paid.
Also, you have to carry both a Visa and a MasterCard.  Some stations accept only one or the other.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86624 on: March 28, 2021, 04:45:01 pm »
just a quick general function test of the ACME 520 ...
I know, I am holding it wrong.

Have one too.. Haven't used it much though, for some reason.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf