Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481508 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #85800 on: March 20, 2021, 05:26:22 pm »
Have fun with your new "free" toy. ;D

mnem
The Chinese word for "crisis" is the same as for "opportunity".
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85801 on: March 20, 2021, 05:31:52 pm »
normally 3 years factory, pickup / drop off by courier, turnaround 7 - 14 days. Been there, done that ...

Yeah, bitch part is now trying to resolve that when all my proof-of-purchase is locked away in a trailer in BuffaloNY. And the MB was purchased in the US, and I now live in the GWN.

Obviously, the path of least misery will be to just buy a new one from Amazon; would be up/running in 48 hours. But that's a ~$400 hit right now, thanks to... COVID/Global Chip Shortage/Top of the Line MB...  |O

mnem
would still cost less than a heart attack...  :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85802 on: March 20, 2021, 05:41:29 pm »
Have fun with your new "free" toy. ;D

mnem
The Chinese word for "crisis" is the same as for "opportunity".

I was gladly paying for the non-broken version. It's a shame really since all that could have been avoided with a bigger box and a little bit of proper padding.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85803 on: March 20, 2021, 06:05:57 pm »
I hear you; was just trying to put a brighter face on it.  ;)   I too have enough "projects" right now; didn't need this new bundahoo. :-\

mnem
*knee-dreep in the hooplah*

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85804 on: March 20, 2021, 06:06:37 pm »
Joy to UK. Busts within 6 years: replacement via retailer.

It may well take quite a bit of arm twisting to get them to actually comply with the law however. That obligation also points up how much of a scam paid-for extended warranties are unless they contain some genuine extras like on-site service, which of course they almost always don't - they just want you to give them more money to do what they would legally have had to do anyway.

My favourite trick when some spotty oik of a sales assistant tries to sell me an extended warranty is to fain a concerned voice and say "Oh. Are they that unreliable that I need the extra warranty? Perhaps I'd better not buy it." and watch while they try to navigate that without either saying that "Yes, it is crap." or "No, it's fine, I was trying to earn commission on selling you something you don't need.".  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, factory, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85805 on: March 20, 2021, 06:09:21 pm »
Counter pron. HP 5384A check out.

Went really well - nothing wrong with it at all I can find.

Good first sign - original HP stickers still covering the screw holes. And oh yes it did have four actual HP feet which I have already removed here.

Insides - nice neat and tidy. Date codes point to late 1992 as the build date

Quick look towards the display

Hole ready for something better than the built in oscillator. I have taken measurements. Distance between the three pins is 0.3". Distance between the three and the single one is 1.5". Bounding box is 2"x 1.25" centred. Will knock a board up in Kicad for this and a footprint for the OCXO I have ordered.

10MHz "standard" oscillator.  3.6 Roentgen Not Great Not Terrible. Will be removed when the above is done...

Bottom of the board. Nice HP design, clearly Zukon output though as always

Close up

I'm really liking this. It's fairly small and it'll do 11 digits over 10s which is plenty. 11 digits only between 1.0 and 1.299 multipliers apparently. Assume that's a register or buffer limit but fine for standard 1/10MHz references :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85806 on: March 20, 2021, 06:14:49 pm »
Thats lovely and clean and I do love that large ground wire, nicely done.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85807 on: March 20, 2021, 06:14:58 pm »

It may well take quite a bit of arm twisting to get them to actually comply with the law however. That obligation also points up how much of a scam paid-for extended warranties are unless they contain some genuine extras like on-site service, which of course they almost always don't - they just want you to give them more money to do what they would legally have had to do anyway.

My favourite trick when some spotty oik of a sales assistant tries to sell me an extended warranty is to fain a concerned voice and say "Oh. Are they that unreliable that I need the extra warranty? Perhaps I'd better not buy it." and watch while they try to navigate that without either saying that "Yes, it is crap." or "No, it's fine, I was trying to earn commission on selling you something you don't need.".  >:D

Oh yes. You have to go full Karen on them. I am the arsehole who pulls his phone out and starts recording that conversation. No one wants to say no on record...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85808 on: March 20, 2021, 06:17:15 pm »
the idea was to check if the disk drive was indeed working.
WIthout boot disk or any software or knowledge about the Atari that is somewhat difficult ...
I confess though that currently I am too tired to read any FM.

I'll have a look through my collection. I definitely have 800XL DOS boot disks, but I may have an 800 boot disk too that I could send you. It's possible to make one on an old PC with a 5.25in drive, but it's complicated and involves WinXP too.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #85809 on: March 20, 2021, 06:22:00 pm »
@McBryce
that offer is highly appreciated.

The seller responded and promised to send a boot disk.

I'll keep everybody updated.

@mnementh my experience with Asus is that if you cannot produce a proof of purchase they take the manufacturing date which is stored in their product warranty database.

Check with the serial number on their webpage and they will let you know if the board is still under warranty.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85810 on: March 20, 2021, 06:39:14 pm »
Aorus product line is GigaByte. I've found the transaction in my PP history, as I used that card to pay. However, no line items, and multiple bits/pieces were purchased.

Now searching my file folders and going to look on my BU HDD to see if I did the smart thing and scanned or phone-pic'd the damned receipt.

w00t! Original paper receipt was in my important personal papers folder; wifey to the rescue. I swear; I'd lose track of my arse if it weren't for her.    :-DD

mnem
 :scared:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 06:48:06 pm by mnementh »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85811 on: March 20, 2021, 07:00:32 pm »
Tek 492 update.
The issue with the main control not changing from marker to center frequency goes away if you turn the span control a few clicks :-//  Could still be be noisy 5 V rail or strobe decode, but might be a leaky diode in the span control circuit. I've a put a bunch of capacitors in my Farnell basket but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
I have been doing some more testing with it having dug out a couple of microwave sources. I seem to be fine at 10.35GHz and also at 24.1 GHz. The latter was using the external waveguide mixer and diplexer so it's good to know that they are working OK.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, capt bullshot, ch_scr, Kosmic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #85812 on: March 20, 2021, 08:03:47 pm »
Small update on the PM3300 (I've opened a thread in the repair section):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/voltech-pm3300-power-meter/msg3521946/#msg3521946
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85813 on: March 20, 2021, 08:28:32 pm »
Ok definitely need a frequency standard here. Each connected to the other counter’s reference output.

Although neither counter have budged from that for over an hour now.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 08:30:20 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, ch_scr

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85814 on: March 20, 2021, 09:13:19 pm »
Think about why one is reading 14Hz high and the other 14Hz low.
You need a third source, even a not very accurate one and measure that with  both counters.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85815 on: March 20, 2021, 09:20:00 pm »
Yeah I know why. There's a 14Hz offset between the reference clocks. That doesn't answer which one is correct, so I'll probably buy a Bodnar GPSDO and use that as the primary reference i.e. the third counter which is GPS disciplined.

That is however moot because the Racal just blew up rather smellily (is that a word)? Looks like the failed ZTX550 before was because a tant on the LC pi filter on the hybrid DC line was going intermittent short. It just went total short and burned up the L  >:(

I think I'm going to have to replace all the tants in this one as a precaution. There's about 30 in it.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #85816 on: March 20, 2021, 09:33:11 pm »

feign*

Sorry, grammar/spelling Nazi act finished for the week.
NB: The week runs from Sunday to Saturday...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85817 on: March 20, 2021, 10:24:27 pm »
Yeah I know why. There's a 14Hz offset between the reference clocks. That doesn't answer which one is correct, so I'll probably buy a Bodnar GPSDO and use that as the primary reference i.e. the third counter which is GPS disciplined.

That is however moot because the Racal just blew up rather smellily (is that a word)? Looks like the failed ZTX550 before was because a tant on the LC pi filter on the hybrid DC line was going intermittent short. It just went total short and burned up the L  >:(

I think I'm going to have to replace all the tants in this one as a precaution. There's about 30 in it.
Ouch
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #85818 on: March 20, 2021, 11:14:42 pm »
Yeah :( just carted my mother to the hospital in an ambulance.

Thanks for your various good wishes. She's back home: no problems found other than old age.

She's very washed out; if her 100th birthday party was in the next ?week?, it would kill her! That and covid make planning somewhat difficult :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, beanflying, cyclin_al

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85819 on: March 20, 2021, 11:15:39 pm »
Good to hear  :-+

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85820 on: March 21, 2021, 12:24:23 am »
I'm confused an pissed at the same time..

I found a nice offer for a sensor from a seller in Finland on ebay.de.
Made a reasonable offer, seller made a still acceptable offer that I accepted.

I should have read his description of the ad better:
He writes in his terms and conditions that -if I'm a private person 24% vat will be added to the (ebay-)price.
He obviously declares his ebay-prices vat free.
I wasn't aware that this is possible.
With 24% vat the price is not what I accepted..   :palm:

I already paid the ebay price+shipping, he now wants me to send the extra vat to his paypal account.
 :wtf:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85821 on: March 21, 2021, 12:28:23 am »
Report him to eBay. Seller misrepresenting.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #85822 on: March 21, 2021, 01:08:37 am »
I think I 'nearly' have a stable three year old  :-+ So for this sample at least after some extended running in over time it is well up to the task of 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 digit meters with some aging.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85823 on: March 21, 2021, 01:12:14 am »
I'm confused an pissed at the same time..

I found a nice offer for a sensor from a seller in Finland on ebay.de.
Made a reasonable offer, seller made a still acceptable offer that I accepted.

I should have read his description of the ad better:
He writes in his terms and conditions that -if I'm a private person 24% vat will be added to the (ebay-)price.
He obviously declares his ebay-prices vat free.
I wasn't aware that this is possible.
With 24% vat the price is not what I accepted..   :palm:

I already paid the ebay price+shipping, he now wants me to send the extra vat to his paypal account.
 :wtf:

Your contract is with eBay, not him. Any "binding contract" between yourself and the seller in those terms and conditions isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Open a dispute with PayPal and/or eBay immediately; do not hesitate.

ALL PAYMENTS, including VAT, are supposed to be made through eBay, or it is a violation of their terms and conditions.

Cancel the order. Report him. If you believe he isn't just scamming you and just want out of the deal, tell him you are not comfortable paying any portion of the purchase outside of eBay, and that you aren't comfortable doing business with someone who doesn't understand his responsibility to disclose the fact his VAT-FREE advertisement is ONLY for wholesale customers.

mnem
Run, don't walk to the nearest exit.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #85824 on: March 21, 2021, 01:13:05 am »
Report him to eBay. Seller misrepresenting.

Oj, just saw it: The seller also includes shipping into his vat-demand..  :o
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:20:22 am by URI »
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf