Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481416 times)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #84075 on: February 28, 2021, 10:37:31 am »
Extend your argument and logically there should be no mention of anything other than "name" inventor of "thing".

Fine by me.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84076 on: February 28, 2021, 10:40:53 am »
Bah. I at least hope for a suffix of “proud Earthian” on the paperwork. At some point in my life time if certain billionaires pull their finger out, I can wave my fist at the sky shouting “bloody Martians coming here stealing our oxygen and floozies”

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84077 on: February 28, 2021, 10:46:17 am »
I simply can’t work out what is wrong with people at the moment. This pricing is confusing me  :scared:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, factory

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84078 on: February 28, 2021, 10:49:31 am »

Huh.  :o

Tripped over this while looking for other stuffs. Maybe there is such a thing as British Engineering...   >:D

"We need more V-10s in the world... so... I wish you all the luck in the world."   :-+

mnem
 :popcorn:

Looks like a fake or "vapourware" to me.
What's the first thing you want to see on a car with an unusual engine is under the bonnet (hood). That is missing from this video. Maybe they intend to put a V10 into it but I don't think they have done it on that car. I can't see the advantage of a V10 in such a small capacity either.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #84079 on: February 28, 2021, 11:11:57 am »

Tripped over this while looking for other stuffs. Maybe there is such a thing as British Engineering...   >:D

"We need more V-10s in the world... so... I wish you all the luck in the world."   :-+

mnem

What's the first thing you want to see on a car with an unusual engine is under the bonnet (hood). That is missing from this video. Maybe they intend to put a V10 into it but I don't think they have done it on that car. I can't see the advantage of a V10 in such a small capacity either.

There is no advantage here, since the point of small capacity cylinders is to reduce the inertial mass of the individual pistons/rods in high revving (15-20krpm+) piston engines in racing situations. This clearly doesn't fall into that category.
After all, who tf wants a road car that needs a full engine rebuild every 500 miles?

I'll be honest and admit I didn't watch the vid yet, but it looks to me like it could be from that two-blokes-in-a-shed setup that are trying to resurrect the Connaught brand name.

EDIT: I realised the advantage of the engine configuration; it's so you can impress the ignorant with marketing wank.

EDIT 2: Before someone gets on my case about the other reasons for small cylinders for high revving piston engines, the two other major factors are it reduces the crank throw and stroke, which also allows for higher rpm intrinsically, but there are more frictional losses, so they are less efficient though in a race engine you often prefer the mechanical advantage that higher rpm can give you.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 11:22:48 am by AVGresponding »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84080 on: February 28, 2021, 11:21:34 am »

I have its brother, the UBC125XLT Airband and general scanner, I'm very please with it too, brilliant little scanner, its performance belies its size.

Airband was one of the bits I really wanted the little Baofeng UV 5R does the rest fairly well. Emergency and Fire is the other bit I wanted  so some of the trunking features might be handy as they have all moved up from their older HF range gear.
Yeah, Airband was my main requirement but it would also be nice to receive the emergency bands as well but over here they are now digital and only specially equipped receivers can get them.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84081 on: February 28, 2021, 11:37:28 am »

mnem

There is no advantage here, since the point of small capacity cylinders is to reduce the inertial mass of the individual pistons/rods in high revving (15-20krpm+) piston engines in racing situations. This clearly doesn't fall into that category.
After all, who tf wants a road car that needs a full engine rebuild every 500 miles?

I'll be honest and admit I didn't watch the vid yet, but it looks to me like it could be from that two-blokes-in-a-shed setup that are trying to resurrect the Connaught brand name.

EDIT: I realised the advantage of the engine configuration; it's so you can impress the ignorant with marketing wank.

EDIT 2: Before someone gets on my case about the other reasons for small cylinders for high revving piston engines, the two other major factors are it reduces the crank throw and stroke, which also allows for higher rpm intrinsically, but there are more frictional losses, so they are less efficient though in a race engine you often prefer the mechanical advantage that higher rpm can give you.

To be perfectly frank, I really don't see why there is any real need for such engines in small cars anyway. In large heavy prestige cars maybe there is a need to provide plenty of low down grunt with a good smooth delivery of power which these multi cylinder engines should be capable of doing and thus able to use taller gearing and low engine RPM to keep noise floor low. For most cars, a lowly 4 potter with suitably selected gear ratios is more than capable of providing enough power to a modern car.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #84082 on: February 28, 2021, 11:38:01 am »
Got an email this morning from Alltest who I brought a bit of gear off a while back.

12000 searchable lines of stock to drool over and search  :-DD  https://alltest.net/in-stock/

I have its brother, the UBC125XLT Airband and general scanner, I'm very please with it too, brilliant little scanner, its performance belies its size.

Airband was one of the bits I really wanted the little Baofeng UV 5R does the rest fairly well. Emergency and Fire is the other bit I wanted  so some of the trunking features might be handy as they have all moved up from their older HF range gear.
Yeah, Airband was my main requirement but it would also be nice to receive the emergency bands as well but over here they are now digital and only specially equipped receivers can get them.

Police and Ambulance have been encrypted for a while now some of the others are on an RMR (Fire, Rescue etc) that are still open.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84083 on: February 28, 2021, 11:51:32 am »
I simply can’t work out what is wrong with people at the moment. This pricing is confusing me  :scared:

No confusion here. Way too much and the buyers got ass raped.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84084 on: February 28, 2021, 11:55:11 am »
Delta Elektronika Power Supply...from the '70 .. like new, i did have some help from there amazing Customer support, and its Dutch!

Nice work Tony. I want one of those PSUs.
The meter is a taut band type. ith uses a tiny flat strip as both support and return spring. There is no axle or pivot so no friction. you can see the broken end of the band soldered to the top support bracket.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84085 on: February 28, 2021, 12:04:32 pm »
Got an email this morning from Alltest who I brought a bit of gear off a while back.

12000 searchable lines of stock to drool over and search  :-DD  https://alltest.net/in-stock/

Police and Ambulance have been encrypted for a while now some of the others are on an RMR (Fire, Rescue etc) that are still open.

I've received that e-mail from Alltest several times. Yes, drool worthy.

Encryption of Police/Fire/Rescue/Ambulance is highly dependent on individual counties and if they wish to invest in the equipment/maintenance.  Same with going to 800MHz trunk system. Luckily my county are cheapskates and almost everything is in the open on VHF-FM so I can listen. But I know one day that will change big time.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84086 on: February 28, 2021, 01:00:16 pm »

I guess people are prepared to pay more for something in good cosmetic condition with the cover & some probes supplied, can't understand why the one with the dodgy looking trace made more though.  :-//
Can't really comment much more as I rarely look at Tek stuff on ePay, I do have some Tek stuff here including 4 246x scopes, a 466 storage scope, some logic analyzers and a few bits of TV related equipment, none of which came from ePay.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84087 on: February 28, 2021, 01:12:46 pm »

I guess people are prepared to pay more for something in good cosmetic condition with the cover & some probes supplied, can't understand why the one with the dodgy looking trace made more though.  :-//
Can't really comment much more as I rarely look at Tek stuff on ePay, I do have some Tek stuff here including 4 246x scopes, a 466 storage scope, some logic analyzers and a few bits of TV related equipment, none of which came from ePay.

David

The trace on the 2nd 465 may not be dodgy. It's very easy to over expose the camera when photographing scope traces. When I take pictures the trace is barely visible to the naked eye but shows up bright in the resulting picture.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84088 on: February 28, 2021, 01:45:38 pm »
Accidentally bought a second HP 2802A thermometer a few weeks ago from CDL for £20 + p&p, bit surprized no-one else bid, maybe the lack of probe with it put others off. 

They both probably need a cal check with an ice/water bath at some point, as per the the calibration procedure. Despite the extra resolution mode the accuracy is apparently only +/- 0.5°C.

David

Bonus points for the Dotty Displays  :-+

Time you added some other toys to look after these now  :-DD
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/kaye-140-4-ice-point-reference/msg2412237/#msg2412237
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sika-18600e-dryblock-temperature-calibrator-teardown-pictures-testing/msg2249781/#msg2249781

and to check those two one of these or similar  :scared:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/wanted-quality-rtd-or-up-to-and-including-a-working-sprt/msg2384448/#msg2384448

The ice point reference looks interesting, even though the book only mentions the use of ice bath (using a 1 litre or larger Dewar flask). For the higher temperature the probe cables need to be high temp rated and the book mentions the glass insulation goes brittle after use above 400°C.

Calibration of the meter is mostly done with a decade resistor box of 0.01% accuracy, mine is only good for 0.1%, I do have a Genrad one but it's been abused by a previous owner.
The rest of the meter checks need a voltage ref & the 740B is mentioned, still haven't found one of those.
It does still recommend setting/checking the probes with the ice bath method (regularly) and that the probe should stay with the meter.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84089 on: February 28, 2021, 01:52:51 pm »

David

The trace on the 2nd 465 may not be dodgy. It's very easy to over expose the camera when photographing scope traces. When I take pictures the trace is barely visible to the naked eye but shows up bright in the resulting picture.

It wasn't the over exposure that concerned me, but that the fact the trace seemed to be lacking in width.
I often have to change my camera exposure for anything using number readout tubes too.

David
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:54:35 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84090 on: February 28, 2021, 02:09:11 pm »

David

It wasn't the over exposure that concerned me, but that the fact the trace seemed to be lacking in width.
I often have to change my camera exposure for anything using number readout tubes too.

David

Yeah definitely something wrong with it. It’s on fastest sweep and the intensity should be barely visible at that setting and that speed.

It pays to carefully read the manual of instruments you are buying. A huge number of faults are because the person selling the thing is poking it until it does something and has no idea what it’s doing or how it works.

I’m hoping that plays out for me a couple of times this week  :-DD

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84091 on: February 28, 2021, 02:19:25 pm »
Delta Elektronika Power Supply...from the '70 .. like new, i did have some help from there amazing Customer support, and its Dutch!

Nice work Tony. I want one of those PSUs.
The meter is a taut band type. ith uses a tiny flat strip as both support and return spring. There is no axle or pivot so no friction. you can see the broken end of the band soldered to the top support bracket.

Like so?

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84092 on: February 28, 2021, 02:48:45 pm »
Not quite, a 15V 2A or 30V 1A to match the 300V 0.1A I already have.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #84093 on: February 28, 2021, 03:28:44 pm »
looked at that mini ITX thingie.

Redid cable layout, installed 1tb hdd, cleaned all air filters, case, etc. Activated W10 and ran passmark for burn in testing.

All systems go.

(beastie boys you gotta fight ...)

Flip it !

You know you got stuff that you don't really need
your bank account is empty so you gotta take heed
you wanna buy TEA but you got no cash
you gotta find a buyer to build up your stash.

Sorry, not a poet ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, cyclin_al

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #84094 on: February 28, 2021, 04:11:39 pm »
Not quite, a 15V 2A or 30V 1A to match the 300V 0.1A I already have.

Eh, well. I'll keep you in mind ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #84095 on: February 28, 2021, 04:34:46 pm »
Visited local home center to stock up on another can of Krylon Gloss Bahama Sea. Gonna need it.  :P :-DD

Damage report: The BOM for the Type 321A capacitors is done and on order. Also added a bunch of 2N3906 and 2N2369A transistors as per reading some adventures in getting those pesky duff GE transistors exorcised. Was able to get all capacitors axial except one. Total cost: $67 USD. I expected more.  :phew: 

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, ch_scr

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84096 on: February 28, 2021, 04:48:25 pm »
DIY a new Handle using 3D printed molds. Random arrival on my youtube feed this morning ;)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/3d-printing/composite-molding-with-3d-printed-forms/msg3486838/#msg3486838

With that sort of repair when we have been repairing R/C airframes we actually take more away and make a scarf joint across the break or even cut a complete trench and put in a tenon of Carbon Board then finish our way out to the surface.

For the bigger ones, yeah. For the new sub-250-gram subspecies, there's a whole ecology of printable airframes so if it breaks bad enuf that a quick hit of hot-snot won't get you back in the air, just print a new one. Performance of these variants is awesome and getting better. :-+

Neat stuff on the mold-making tho. It's been decades since I made molds for vacuum-forming plastic bubbles with old man Belmore, but that was all hand-glued ply and balsa molds. I got to play around a bit with lost-PLA casting at the Hackspace in Houston before we left. Results were impressive as long as you plan around the complexities of the casting process and take the time to do prep work on the lost PLA part first rather than in post.

mnem
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 05:17:26 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #84097 on: February 28, 2021, 04:53:39 pm »
Bah. I at least hope for a suffix of “proud Earthian” on the paperwork. At some point in my life time if certain billionaires pull their finger out, I can wave my fist at the sky shouting “bloody Martians coming here stealing our oxygen and floozies”

Dwagons too. Don't forget the dwagons. 

mnem
Too much blood in my caffeine circulatory system... BREW, damned coffee, BREW...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84098 on: February 28, 2021, 04:57:59 pm »
No doubt, but GRP would have been as good, since for ultimate strength, CF/R needs curing in a nitrogen passivated autoclave.

Do you mean 3D printed glass filled plastic in the context of Zucca's questions about 3DP? I don't think that's an option. Or do you mean glass fibre in place of carbon fibre?

If the latter, CF, even when it hasn't had the aerospace treatment, is still stiffer and stronger than glass fibre for an equivalent sized gob of it (and let's face it, this is a gob - I didn't vac bag it, I didn't degas my mixed resin or even reach for a consolidating roller, I used a lolly stick),  and, and this is the clincher for me, I don't end up with little itchy bits of glass fibre under my skin like I have done every time in my life I have used it no matter how hard I work to avoid it. The box with the resin and other bits has three packets of reinforcements in it: one's got glassfibre in, one's got CF in, and one's got some polyaramid cloth in. What material gets picked as reinforcement depends on what I'm doing.

I mean proper GRP, FRP, or whatever else you want to call it. Layers of glass fibre matting bonded together with resin. I suspect the difference in context is minimal, and would be difficult to accurately quantify, given the construction method...
GRP would certainly be much cheaper though.

Also worth considering is whether you really want a particularly rigid repair? Wouldn't it be better to attempt to match the properties of the material you're repairing, to minimise the risk of stress points in the transition zones?

You're overthinking, and trying to overengineer sticking together a handle on a bench multimeter. As to cost? There's about 50p worth of CF involved in total - 10 inches, perhaps a foot of 50 mm wide tape.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84099 on: February 28, 2021, 05:03:26 pm »

While that's true there and here, I've got the impression that is not true for most similar communications in North America. Med, for instance, is able to listen into his local police radio.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf