Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844205 times)

Offline GoneTomorrow

• Regular Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79400 on: January 12, 2021, 09:15:19 am »
Not sure, what the problem is, in my  bathroom I'm having 64.0°C

The problem I always burn my hands when I turn on the hot water. It's annoying.
I'll be damned, I never lived in my past  40 years of life in a home where the water was so hot.
Normally I prefer about 50C.

What Saskia wrote. (below what I'm quoting) You should be grateful that your landlord does their part on purging legionella. Our geothermal pump makes extra hot water once a week to solve the same problem.

Do you not have tempering valves? Required here in NZ, and then your water is set to heat to >60c, but is then tempered down just before it comes out the tap to 50-55c. That way the water is largely sterilised but still comes out the tap at a safe temperature.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79401 on: January 12, 2021, 09:30:04 am »
not necessarily, depends on your installation. You often have a manual mixer.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #79402 on: January 12, 2021, 09:34:09 am »
As GT says tempering valves have been mandatory for new builds in NZ for maybe 2 decades. Wise installation where a wetback is installed in a fireplace where the risk of boiling hot water is ever present.
Scalded children are not nice.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79403 on: January 12, 2021, 09:34:22 am »
@tautech stoopeed question:
is it worth the hassle ?

Unless computing stuff is over the top expensive in NZ, the time you put into it may just not be worth it.

Those industrial boards I got, they are 200€+ each, plus super small form factor plus extreme integration plus high temperature range so tinkering with them for an an evening is worth it when reviving 3 that you got for 20% of the retail price, especially as they are usable for those integrated high end audio streamers.

But for an old B85 board ?

just asking ...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79404 on: January 12, 2021, 09:37:22 am »
As GT says tempering valves have been mandatory for new builds in NZ for maybe 2 decades. Wise installation where a wetback is installed in a fireplace where the risk of boiling hot water is ever present.

I am not questioning the wisdom. I am just saying that even though that may have introduced into the building code within the past couple of years they are not necessarily retrofitted in old buildings and are not mandatory as far as I know.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79405 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:12 am »
is it worth the hassle ?

Unless computing stuff is over the top expensive in NZ, the time you put into it may just not be worth it.

Those industrial boards I got, they are 200€+ each, plus super small form factor plus extreme integration plus high temperature range so tinkering with them for an an evening is worth it when reviving 3 that you got for 20% of the retail price, especially as they are usable for those integrated high end audio streamers.

just asking ...
I'll not spend very much time on it for sure but certainly check the rails and for shorted MOSFETs and the BIOS reset and battery.
Have a box with an old build in it that will supply the PSU and maybe RAM if it's correct so maybe an hour all up to check if it's something simple to fix.
Just your comments about getting MB's going resurrected my interest in it however I really need build another workstation as my business revolves around having a 100% reliable one so in the next few months I need think about putting a new box together and getting it configured for a painless swap to.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79406 on: January 12, 2021, 09:43:57 am »
Must stay off Ebay.  :palm:

That's all I'm sayin.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, beanflying

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79407 on: January 12, 2021, 09:50:52 am »
New EEV DMM BM786 arrived today 😁
It is a bit bigger than the GW121, has a similar feel, the only slight oddity is that the batteries (3xAAA) load into a small plastic carrier, which then slides into the DMM. See photos below, carrier has been rotated 90 degrees away from its insert position so you can see the batteries.
Comes with the nice pliable Brymen silicon leads, and the auto ranging is quite quick as is the buzzer function.
In a couple of days I will try and make/post video about it, but there is only so much that you can say about a DMM!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, beanflying, FransW

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79408 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:13 am »

I am not questioning the wisdom. I am just saying that even though that may have introduced into the building code within the past couple of years they are not necessarily retrofitted in old buildings and are not mandatory as far as I know.
Correct, retrofitting hot water tempering valves is not mandatory in NZ.
For some 30 years our wetback has boiled water if you let it however over the winter when we have the firebox running 24/7 for ~150 days we also have the mains element turned OFF for it not to keep boiling the water.
Never fitted a tempering valve but do manage the water heating to some degree....pun intended !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79409 on: January 12, 2021, 09:51:40 am »

We await the results of your weakness  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79410 on: January 12, 2021, 09:54:44 am »
It is a bit bigger than the GW121, has a similar feel, the only slight oddity is that the batteries (3xAAA) load into a small plastic carrier, which then slides into the DMM. See photos below, carrier has been rotated 90 degrees away from its insert position so you can see the batteries.
Comes with the nice pliable Brymen silicon leads, and the auto ranging is quite quick as is the buzzer function.
In a couple of days I will try and make/post video about it, but there is only so much that you can say about a DMM!
I think this one will whip the 121's arse !
Joe's pretty happy with it now and he's put through the mill.

Fuuuuurk....look at this fellas post count.  :o
Off now to dream of a celebratory 20k post...........  :=\
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 09:58:38 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79411 on: January 12, 2021, 09:54:57 am »
is it worth the hassle ?

just asking ...
I'll not spend very much time on it for sure but certainly check the rails and for shorted MOSFETs and the BIOS reset and battery.
Have a box with an old build in it that will supply the PSU and maybe RAM if it's correct so maybe an hour all up to check if it's something simple to fix.
Just your comments about getting MB's going resurrected my interest in it however I really need build another workstation as my business revolves around having a 100% reliable one so in the next few months I need think about putting a new box together and getting it configured for a painless swap to.

Why did you not mention this before ? I just sold a current workstation /server grade machine around Christmas that would have fulfilled that requirement perfectly. Dropshipping to NZ does not really scare me, and it would have been the ideal gizmo for you. it went for 650€ with a Fujitsu Server board (uATX) with a C246 chipset, an i5 9400 6-core, 32GB mem and a 1070ti.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79412 on: January 12, 2021, 09:55:02 am »

Correct, retrofitting hot water tempering valves is not mandatory in NZ.
For some 30 years our wetback has boiled water if you let it however over the winter when we have the firebox running 24/7 for ~150 days we also have the mains element turned OFF for it not to keep boiling the water.
Never fitted a tempering valve but do manage the water heating to some degree....pun intended !  :P
When you say "wetback" are you referring to something like a wood stove that has a water jacket to heat water for domestic use?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79413 on: January 12, 2021, 09:57:18 am »

Only if I win the bid.  :-DD

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #79414 on: January 12, 2021, 10:07:00 am »

No pre excuses now. Go Hard, Go Late and consider any downsides later  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79415 on: January 12, 2021, 10:08:48 am »

No pre excuses now. Go Hard, Go Late and consider any downsides later  >:D

Easy for you to say. It's not your wallet.  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79416 on: January 12, 2021, 10:11:51 am »
What the fuck, I can't even get away from politicks in here.  |O Come on guys...
THIS IS NOT POLITICS ! This is social commentary.
The two are intertwined hopelessly nowadays. Anyway, I'm outta here for a while. I get depressed enough reading this shit elsewhere and I don't need more of it.

Jeezus dude. We've stayed away from the shitstorm almost all day... this is actually fucking important.  No, I'm serious. This is the kind of shit a lot of us want to talk aboot with our friends; many of whom are in here. Many of us come in here to be away from the 100% nerd-vision technical discourse that occupies the rest of eevBlog.

We shouldn't have to worry aboot getting jumped for civil discourse immediately upon mentioning a vaguely political topic. :palm:

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a riot mallet*
Here in the UK, our national media are now so heavily censored / gagged that we get presented with a biased version of events. Our politicians for example, especially with Brexit sold us all down the river with their lies about how good it was going to be, have our cake and eat it as well type of thing. Many of the televised clips before the current mob gained power have been posted on Twitter and fortunately some people thought to save those clips and have a habit of replaying them on Twitter again when the same politician now claims the exact opposite. Now the main media never ever pull them up on these lies because they are not allowed to. The same politicians scour Twitter for their own tweets and actively delete them and attempt to remove by whatever means necessary remove other tweets that show them in a bad light. So these watering hole social comments very often provide the more rounded view on events. I, for one, prefer to know the truth and not just what the local authority wants me to know.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:28:30 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79417 on: January 12, 2021, 10:21:26 am »
I think this one will whip the 121's arse !
Joe's pretty happy with it now and he's put through the mill.

Fuuuuurk....look at this fellas post count.  :o
Off now to dream of a celebratory 20k post...........  :=\
I have no major issues with the 121 - auto ranging was slow but is now close to all other similar spec dmms. This (786) unit looks nice but the 'sleeper' I think is the 235, I really like that it has a big display and isn't the size of a house - in fact is quite small and good price. The worst DMM that I own in this size issue is the Fluke 289 - size/weight of a housebrick but the readout digits are tiny. Great meter otherwise.
Joe's testing is interesting - I have never stuffed a meter with high voltage (yet), have blown a few fuses, tried welding with the probe tips across a big cap but in my mind durability of the case/plastic/stand and battery cover door/battery compartment screws is a bigger issue - I have had quite a few failures in those areas. The one 'destructive' test I would like to see is how the meter 'survives' a battery alkaline leak! - the biggest cause of loss of a meter on my watch. Hehe.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79418 on: January 12, 2021, 10:27:33 am »
I tested this with a Keysight 1241 ...

It survived just fine with no damage to the traces. I caught it early enough to prevent any wrecked parts.

Reason for the lack of damage: all traces were at least gold plated. While copper is susceptible to alkaline battery corrosion, gold apparently is not.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #79419 on: January 12, 2021, 10:37:34 am »
I like how the alkaline fluid can wick along the trace under the gold, I have seen it travel up to 4 inches along a flexible pcb in an old hp calculator. Was able to bypass the flex pcb (fortunately only a few lines wide) and the old girl fired back up into glorious RPN life.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79420 on: January 12, 2021, 11:00:05 am »
it's absolutely nasty, I grant you that. I was however able to remove it, I caught it in time. So at least there is some resiliance in those keysight thingies.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying, AVGresponding, Saskia

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79422 on: January 12, 2021, 12:44:22 pm »
Not sure, what the problem is, in my  bathroom I'm having 64.0°C

The problem I always burn my hands when I turn on the hot water. It's annoying.
I'll be damned, I never lived in my past  40 years of life in a home where the water was so hot.
Normally I prefer about 50C.

What Saskia wrote. (below what I'm quoting) You should be grateful that your landlord does their part on purging legionella. Our geothermal pump makes extra hot water once a week to solve the same problem.

Do you not have tempering valves? Required here in NZ, and then your water is set to heat to >60c, but is then tempered down just before it comes out the tap to 50-55c. That way the water is largely sterilised but still comes out the tap at a safe temperature.

Not common in the UK. Do see them in some public installations. An issue is concerns around feeding contaminated water into the common mains. This normally requires a check valve or two on the cold feed. 

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79423 on: January 12, 2021, 01:06:54 pm »
Just had a sonic boom over cambrige UK. That's unusual here.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79424 on: January 12, 2021, 01:10:23 pm »
Just had a sonic boom over cambrige UK. That's unusual here.
Dwagon on the wing ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf