Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685597 times)

gburdzin, Vince and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #79050 on: January 07, 2021, 12:59:09 pm »
Any interest in an experience report regarding repurposing that fpga mining board ?

It sounds like an ideal subject for a stand-alone thread, i.e. not buried in this thread
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79051 on: January 07, 2021, 01:06:11 pm »
Any interest in an experience report regarding repurposing that fpga mining board ?

It sounds like an ideal subject for a stand-alone thread, i.e. not buried in this thread
+1, but let us know here.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79052 on: January 07, 2021, 01:13:43 pm »
So I won a fuel quantity test set at the latest Skegness auction. It turned up today and the numpty who packed it put the pack of leads on the keyboard and closed the lid resulting in a cracked Planar plasma screens and usesless unit  :-BROKE |O |O :palm:

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79053 on: January 07, 2021, 01:24:40 pm »
re Washington DC

This was plain stupid. An absolute 100% way to completely negate any legitimacy to the voter fraud claim.

The way of the narcicist.
 :palm:

The Dems are more subtle in such things. (and I also think that there was voter fraud, however any claim just went up in riots).

Interesting, what makes you think there was voter fraud when Trump is unable to actually produce any real evidence to back his claim?

if you grew up in philly you understand.  it is SOP and built into the system.  (and both sides do it).
free range primate

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79054 on: January 07, 2021, 01:29:32 pm »
Went to school in that general area a long time ago. Glen Mills High

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #79055 on: January 07, 2021, 02:26:47 pm »
Before EEVblog I had 1 scope ..... now I have 7 (or is it 8?) - BUT I did have a dozen or so multimeters (and that number has gone up as well.)

Never to many scopes and multimeters. Counters are cool too (the odd spectrum analyser is cool too)...     >:D

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79056 on: January 07, 2021, 02:30:04 pm »
The last time the Capital had been occupied was when the British burned it in 1814.  :o

That wasn't us, that was a Dutch Anarchist!  ;)

(Hmm, am I pushing it, making a joke that actually relies on people knowing some history?)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #79057 on: January 07, 2021, 02:34:43 pm »
Also, DAMN YOU! Now you've got me thinking aboot making some fresh baguette... :-DD

I think it's an acknowledged part of my rôle here to make people hungry, particularly you and BD.

"Sausages"

Darn, darn, darn!!!!  I just got back from skiing and now am really really hungry.  Time to fire up the BBQ at 1am?  :scared:

I'm not seeing a downside here: The neighbors will wonder  :wtf: you're up to at oh-dark-thirty in the AM, and you'll get grilled sausages.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79058 on: January 07, 2021, 02:37:23 pm »
Could we please, please, with sugar on top, leave the friggin US politics out of the few forums not infected with this crap ?!?!?

Many thanks,
 DC1MC

Seconded.

A few "I'm shocked" comments are to be expected. I hope there is no to-and-fro "analysis" of the issue.

Well, this all started in 1716 when the imperialist lackeys of William III ... (Cont' p73)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #79059 on: January 07, 2021, 02:53:31 pm »
Before EEVblog I had 1 scope.....now I have...not sure. This represents only about half the total.  :P :-DD

Before EEVblog I had 1 scope. Now I have 2.
Before EEVblog I had 2 multimeters (of which one is the Scopemeter I count as my first scope) Now I have 8 DMM, bench and handheld.
Before EEVblog I had 1 counter. (but with Nixies!) Now I have 3.
Before EEVblog I had 0 VTVM. Now I have 2.
Before EEVblog I had 1 VOM. Now I have 5.
Before EEVblog I had 1 AC clamp add-on. Now I have one AC (same) and a 428b.
Before EEVblog I had 3 LF sine and/or function generators. I still have 3. Room for improvement.
Before EEVblog I had 0 VNA. Now I have 1 nVNA. Small improvement in numbers, but big in capability.
Before EEVblog I had 0 RF power meters. Now I have 1, but without bolometer head.
Before EEVblog I had 0 LCR meters. Now I have 1.

Lesseee, I'm missing RF power metering/soaking, RF generator, SpecAn, and a component identifier/tester.

You enabler lot!

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79060 on: January 07, 2021, 03:13:21 pm »

glen mills?  so you were a posh young lady?

was an upper darby dirt bag myself.

but 50 years ago we used to go out to ridley state park a lot, and hung out sometimes at granite run mall (then brand new....now torn down).

did you ever make it to longwood gardens?  (only other thing out that way were mushroom farms).

free range primate

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79061 on: January 07, 2021, 03:39:53 pm »
And on topic ....
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-general-electronics/ottawa/vintage-electronics-test-equipment/1544575790

What do you think of this lot?  Many of the items I am not familiar with.
The HP 5233L is definitely interesting to me.
A Stark LSG-IOA is interesting if just for the reference to Iron Man ...  :-DD
A Tek 475A could be an interesting, but not needed, addition.
A variac may or may not be something of interest in future.

For sure, I do not have a good idea of what a reasonable offer is for the whole lot.
The seller has been asked about what is known about the items and if they are known to be working or not.
I could do the local pickup.  Are mnem or 25_CPS or any other canucks interesting in sharing some of the lot?

I was interested... but it appears someone beat us to it; the listing is vapor.  :-\

mnem
grr.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79062 on: January 07, 2021, 03:46:54 pm »
Funny thing! When I bought it, ebay said that 70 items have been sold, this is the last one.
Now it is saying 71 sold only one available. WTF?   :wtf:

Wanna bet if you buy another one, it'll say 72 sold and 1 left?  It's a good way to make someone buy something more impulsively than they otherwise would - holy crap, they sold seventy and this is the last one!  I'd better grab it before they're sold out!!  Marketing wank.

-Pat

it does now ...

And 73  :)

Either that, or they're all resellers drawing from the same pooled warehouse... and you all bought the same single unit that was left.

Wonder who'll actually get it...?  :-DD

I bought a JY6800 six times and never got one; bought my DE-5000 3 times before a vendor actually shipped it. :palm:   That's why I make sure to promote the one seller who just did business instead of spankin' it and wasting my time.

mnem
 |O
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:40:41 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79063 on: January 07, 2021, 03:51:56 pm »
re Washington DC

This was plain stupid. An absolute 100% way to completely negate any legitimacy to the voter fraud claim.

The way of the narcicist.

The Dems are more subtle in such things. (and I also think that there was voter fraud, however any claim just went up in riots).

https://youtu.be/GlA35y0bGQc
Interesting, what makes you think there was voter fraud when Trump is unable to actually produce any real evidence to back his claim?

Of course there was voter fraud... How do you think Chump got in the White House to begin with? As long as you let this corrupt Congress control the count, every voter has been defrauded, no matter which side they voted on.

mnem
When Chump claimed that the election was rigged in '16, he wasn't decrying the corruption; he was letting his 12 faithful followers know the fix was in. :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79064 on: January 07, 2021, 03:53:39 pm »
Could we please, please, with sugar on top, leave the friggin US politics out of the few forums not infected with this crap ?!?!?

Many thanks,
 DC1MC

Trust me, I'm with you. Along with the Brexit stuff and covid stuff. But unfortunately that creeping crap finds it way in here. It's so hard to ignore these overwhelming events and they do affect many of us.

And just wait until the Dragon wakes up and gets on his soap box.  :palm:

Nope... no soapbox; I'm done.

I will, however, point out here that y'all have burned more screen-time pre-emptively bitching aboot it than we've actually spent discussing it. AGAIN.

mnem
For now...  >:D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:18:49 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79065 on: January 07, 2021, 04:00:16 pm »

Yes, very. >:D

Did you get one of those SQRRL FPGA mining boards that was reviewed as "literally the worst crypto-mining product ever released"...?

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #79066 on: January 07, 2021, 04:06:34 pm »

but 50 years ago we used to go out to ridley state park a lot, and hung out sometimes at granite run mall (then brand new....now torn down).

did you ever make it to longwood gardens?  (only other thing out that way were mushroom farms).
Actually the school name was Garnet Valley high which is in Glen Mills. It's been a long time ...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79067 on: January 07, 2021, 04:13:38 pm »
Funny thing! When I bought it, ebay said that 70 items have been sold, this is the last one.
Now it is saying 71 sold only one available. WTF?   :wtf:
Wanna bet if you buy another one, it'll say 72 sold and 1 left?  It's a good way to make someone buy something more impulsively than they otherwise would - holy crap, they sold seventy and this is the last one!  I'd better grab it before they're sold out!!  Marketing wank.

-Pat
it does now ...
And 73  :)

Oh dear, what have I done?   :-DD
I think I may have nudged you over the edge. Just a little.  >:D   mnem's Bench: MasTech MS-8911 LCR Tweezer Mini-Review

So... yesterday's Canada Post had 2 packages; it was package number B that REALLY made me go SQUEEEE!!!   

...Just from a few minutes playtime on the bench, I can see that the MS8911 is pretty much EVERYTHING the MS8910 promises but can't deliver. This tool is a joy in the hand, and I already regret the $20 spent on its predecessor.  ::) If you can find it for less than $50 delivered like I did, it will quickly become one of those tools you KEEP OUT on the bench, and it will bring a smile to your face every time you reach for it.  ;D

mnem

mnem

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:18:06 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79068 on: January 07, 2021, 04:27:56 pm »
   Time to go fishing, bait the hook with Fluke and Cast it casually in @Brumby's backyard  >:D eBay auction: #274634228659 I spent this weeks pocket money already  :-DD
:palm:   It's a lot closer than other things you've lobbed in my path - and it's in a manageable price range.  You have awakened my consciousness of the HP counter awaiting my attention - yet this item is still holds my interest.

Your timing is curious, however.  Just a couple of days ago I squirreled $200 away - earmarked for TEA.  (Have you been peeking over my shoulder?)   NanoVNA and TinySA were on the list - then the new BM786 pops up ... ... ... then you drop in this contribution.   Decisions ... decisions ... decisions.
If you don't have them yet, NanoVNA and TinySA first... MS8911 if you have enough left over. Otherwise, if money is a restriction... TinySA and MS8911 would be my next choice. If I better understood everything my SAA-2N is capable of, I'd probably make that my first choice... but I've already used the sig-gen function of the TinySA for real work, and it is so remarkably handy I'm just in love with it.  :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:30:18 pm by mnementh »

Offline tchiwam

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79069 on: January 07, 2021, 04:32:29 pm »
I have to get in here...

1 . Bought a 8664A
2. Wasn't working as advertised  :wtf:
3. tried to buy parts to fix it, done, now it works,
4. but missing a feature I want 001 EFC (need)
5. Get a part unit with said feature in description
6. Part arrive, feature not present, present in description, get a refund  :phew:
7. Buy another unit 8665A with said feature as part, comes smashed to bit by shipping
8. Feature present but dead,  |O
9. Get another refund   :scared:  :wtf:
10. Buy a case with shit load of missing bits, but has 8665B bits in it... As ADVERTISED  ! !! YEAH !!! the bar was not that high on that one... Even the top cover was missing.
11. Buy separate bits here and there, learn the innards of 866XX way too much for comfort
12. Build a 8665A 001 004 008 010 only missing the roms to get a 8665B  (good  board bad OSC 001) 004 008 010

From all the parts I now have a 8664A 4.4.? (soon 001) 004 008 and a 08665A 4.2.2(one day B) (soon 001) 004 008 010

It is never just a small fix... But now I can do mixer testing  :-DD :-DD

Still don't have EFC  :-//

If you want to buy a 86XXX unit , let me know, I will help you and steer you away from ebay dead parts bundle and get you repairable untested stuff....

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:41:47 pm by tchiwam »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79070 on: January 07, 2021, 04:36:57 pm »
Welcome to the nuthouse, tchiwam; you'll fit right in here.  :-DD

There's the Neverending Taco Truck in the corner, beanflying comes and goes, but his coffee bar pretty much runs on autopilot (his secrets guard themselves) and the crusty old Aardvark in the corner is mostly harmless, unless you see him with his conversational cutlery. Watch out for the attitudinally maladjusted smurf running around with a can of blue spray paint tho... unless you fancy a change of your personal scenery.  :-DD

Just be aware that the pervy little dwagon fancier position is already taken; get your own schtick.  >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 04:48:40 pm by mnementh »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79071 on: January 07, 2021, 04:41:03 pm »

Actually the school name was Garnet Valley high which is in Glen Mills. It's been a long time ...

oh yeah.....garnet valley.  they were very proud of their minerals on that side of delaware county.

am pretty sure i ran in cross country meets against your people.  (hard to believe i was not always old and feeble).

small world!

ups just delivered a new pulse generator.   back to the basement for me.
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #79072 on: January 07, 2021, 04:44:33 pm »

Many thanks,
 DC1MC

Trust me, I'm with you. Along with the Brexit stuff and covid stuff. But unfortunately that creeping crap finds it way in here. It's so hard to ignore these overwhelming events and they do affect many of us.

And just wait until the Dragon wakes up and gets on his soap box.  :palm:

I will, however, point out here that y'all have burned more screen-time pre-emptively bitching aboot it than we've actually spent discussing it. AGAIN.

mnem

Bitching about it? Yes.....then move on.  Discussing it? Nope, Off topic...not here.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79073 on: January 07, 2021, 04:54:21 pm »

mnem
Bitching about it? Yes.....then move on.  Discussing it? Nope, Off topic...not here.
I was talking aboot y'all bitching over the political comments, not the political comments themselves.  ;)

After a few minutes cooling down, I realize that med probably didn't mean it that way. Please ignore and forgive my previous rash comments spoken in the heat of the moment; sometimes I forget to employ the same tolerance I proselytize in here.

mnem
:-[
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 05:28:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79074 on: January 07, 2021, 04:54:57 pm »
So I won a fuel quantity test set at the latest Skegness auction. It turned up today and the numpty who packed it put the pack of leads on the keyboard and closed the lid resulting in a cracked Planar plasma screens and usesless unit  :-BROKE |O |O :palm:

*Airmails Fuckwit from Skegness a good swift    *

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf