Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685381 times)

Vince and 32 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78500 on: January 01, 2021, 05:34:51 am »

Yeah, they seem to be pretty hosed up this season.  I just today got some Molex crimpers off the 'bay that shipped from Maryland on the 18th; original expected delivery date was the 22nd.  Guess they're a bit behind on the drag curve.  I'll cut them a little bit of slack; it has been a rather unprecedented year shipping-wise.

-Pat

Sorry, I'm not cutting them any slack. They should have known that Covid would cause an increase in packaging traffic and make the necessary adjustments. UPS did. Last week I had a one day package from Texas to me only 2 hours later from when they typically show up. And I'll bet FedEx was the same. 

Edit....and I've had numerous FUBAR's from USPS even in normal times. For example: 2 WEEKS for a Fluke 8505A to go from Long Island to me...approx distance of 120 miles.

Some shippers did step up their game.  I ordered a couple of items on December 22nd.  CanadaPost estimated that they would arrive January 8th.  They arrived December 23rd ????  This is Canada Post ... I was expecting them to arrive January 15th in all likelihood.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #78501 on: January 01, 2021, 05:52:43 am »
Mother of God...
Thats actually quite mild compared to some I've seen. Most likely clean up quite well, some soapy hot water and an old toothbrush, fibre glass pen, IPA and then a light smearing with petroleum jelly should keep it going for a while, unless you can swap out the battery holder?

Heh, of the batteries has just disintegrated. Like, only the plastic holds the remains together.

Can't replace the compartment, integral part of the housing.

Quite a mess, hopefully it'll clean up OK, got the larger version of those batteries in my shed radio & a torch.
I've cleaned my brother's front bike light twice now (picture taken after I started to wash them), last time was a nice way to remember Maplin's.  :-DD

David

Those Cateye Halogen bike lights were quite good back in their time.  That model must date back to 1993.  So 25 years at least and still going.  :-+
Is he still using the original halogen bulb?
Newer designs switched to LEDs, but the plastic became much more fragile.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #78502 on: January 01, 2021, 07:24:04 am »
Happy New Year everyone!!!!!!!

I knew 2020 was finally over when the dogs asked to come inside.  Some locals are setting off fireworks; the dogs would rather sleep. 
My version is finally burning the last scraps of an old shed.

The family went to bed early; not much about 2020 to celebrate.
Let's hope for sunshine on the first morning of 2021.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #78503 on: January 01, 2021, 07:47:26 am »

I knew 2020 was finally over when the dogs asked to come inside.  Some locals are setting off fireworks; the dogs would rather sleep. 

I stayed up more to make sure 2020 left than to welcome 2021...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #78504 on: January 01, 2021, 09:21:58 am »
... that positive is something positive again

it`s an offset.

happy new year
Martin

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #78505 on: January 01, 2021, 09:34:41 am »
Uh, sold a defect Solartron 7075 for more than I sold working ones. Happy New Year to me?  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78506 on: January 01, 2021, 09:39:55 am »
Happy new year to you, fellow TEAs!   :)

May 2021 be a good, happy, prosperous and healthy year we will remember as the year covid 19 was brought down and we could start living again!

In the mean time: Happy tinkering!

Interestingly this morning the weather isn't that grey and foggy like any other past January 1st.
The first firework I heard going off was 19:36pm but after that the next one was done after 23:xxpm.   :-+

The number of fireworks was only a small portion of that of the recent years.
Very welcomed from my part as going to sleep at 01:00am wasn't disturbed by any fireworks this year.
Less pollution, hopefully less injured and less birds dead as a result. Good start!   ;)
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78507 on: January 01, 2021, 10:23:21 am »
So I fall asleep and it's still 2020. Wake up and it's now 2021. It's like BFD.....feels and looks the same. Virus and an asshole still in charge. Hopefully that will change soon.  :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78508 on: January 01, 2021, 10:27:24 am »
19 days to go on one of those  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #78509 on: January 01, 2021, 11:12:33 am »
Happy New Year ! It should have arrived everywhere now ...

Now here's something for our Audio fans Down Under. This is easily one of the best pre amps that Sony has ever built. With one of the best phono stages you can get for reasonable money.
If this was located anywhere near and was 220/240 volts, I would have hit buy it now ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Sony-Pre-ESPRIT-TA-E88-preamplifier/274628115131

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78510 on: January 01, 2021, 11:13:15 am »
Well, if the pound stays weak vs USD and the vaccine gets Covid under control expect London this coming Summer to be over run with Yankee tourists. I pity you.  ;D

Don't worry on our account, me and BD have a whole bunch of bridges to sell to them.  >:D
Hey, can I join in on this venture  :-// :-DD :-DD

I can sell you a promise on a piece of paper that can be exchanged for fiat currency but not until some arbitrary point in the future after the bridges are delivered  :popcorn:
Thought so, thats much like a chocolate fireguard that then  ::)

Well squire, I can upgrade them to steel, well steely coloured metal, well definitely metal, for another $10 each, and at that price I'm cutting my own throat. D'you want a sausage inna bun while you think it over?
If thats your sales pitch, then you need only to approach drunken people cos they will not put up much resistance and best suits the man who shies away from traffic queues at retail parks  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78511 on: January 01, 2021, 11:44:55 am »

I think you'll find that range extenders are half duplex at best, I tried one to boost the signal to my doorbell video camera, sited it just 1 metre away, linked to an access point just 6 metres away, total waste of time. Replaced it with a power link adaptor next to the main router, Ethernet lead to the adaptor and plugged in power link access point 1 metre away from camera, perfect max signal strength, no more problems.

Range extenders are shit. The only reliable way to build a wifi that can stand modern clients and their appetite for parallel video stream downloads is to put cabled access points everywhere there's people, and then move everything that really needs to work off the wireless. If it is bolted to or hung on the wall, it bloody well can have a cable run to it.

Yes indeed. I've removed the TP range extender. he Archer C7 seems to cover th house pretty well even though it's not in an ideal location. SWMBO wants a good connection but not a WAP on the wall  ::)
RF coverage generally is poor in the house, foil lined plasterboard  doesn't help.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78512 on: January 01, 2021, 11:58:44 am »
Wish we could say the same.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78513 on: January 01, 2021, 12:38:32 pm »
Sort of. More rounds of arguing and dick swinging left. This will go on for a decade.

Everyone concentrating on “sovrinty” and “fish” but as indicated they mostly don’t understand the concept of sovereignty, hell they can’t even spell it, and won’t eat fish unless it’s battered. And only eat them with the most English side they can muster, which is actually Belgian.
Haha, I'm waiting for the time when the truth hits them that for the time being at least there will fewer fights into EU airspace by UK airlines, which will impact on holidaymakers, the need to have a green card for car insurance. Less ability to advantage of snap bargains of holidays because of the need for the extras to be arranged in time, the end of the free use of credit cards outside the UK and also of course the re-introduction of roaming charges on their mobile phone and Internet access outside the UK. No longer being able to the faster EU check ins at ports and airports etc to kick in. and all the other surprises that are going to be discovered.

It's all a bunch of c**p. While CE will be acepted for a while, if selling in UK and Europe from 2022 you will have to comply with two sets f regulations (CE & UKCA) and while the laws are free you will have to buy two lots of normalised standards, and if required two sets of notified body assesments. Now maybe some of these will be combined, but they will still cost more. So much for less bureaucracy.
Aviation is even worse. We are going back to a national system and have to set up arrangements with the other authorities, This covers everthing from aircraft design approval, pilot and engineer licencing, maintenence approvals the lot. The CAA was drastically downsized when we joined EASA and now have to pick up all the extra work. As of 23:00 yesterday UK licenced engineers could no longer certify maintenence on EU registered aircraft. If it wasn't for Covid 19 limiting travel it would be an even bigger mess. 

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78514 on: January 01, 2021, 01:15:37 pm »

Move to Scotland. You might not have to wait as long as the English to be in the EU again.  >:D
If England allows the Scots having another referendum.   :popcorn:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78515 on: January 01, 2021, 01:47:41 pm »

Move to Scotland. You might not have to wait as long as the English to be in the EU again.  >:D
If England allows the Scots having another referendum.   :popcorn:
Can't see Johnson agreeing to do that somehow.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78516 on: January 01, 2021, 02:22:19 pm »
He’ll be gone before there is any traction.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78517 on: January 01, 2021, 02:27:38 pm »
Fingers crossed on that issue  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78518 on: January 01, 2021, 02:51:04 pm »

I stayed up more to make sure 2020 left than to welcome 2021...

-Pat
AMEN, brother! :-+
and
AMEN, brother! :-+

mnem
*currently working on my recipe for home-brew breakfast sausage*
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:12:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78519 on: January 01, 2021, 03:00:26 pm »
I think my favourite quote regarding Brexit was from one of the newspapers was from a lady in her twenties who said she'd never give up her seat on the train again for the elderly after this.  I have to say I understand.  One of my relatives is a major Brexiter who has delusions that the empire's going to return the moment the exit is complete and he doesn't understand that the British empire is long, long gone and not coming back.  Given that, he's effectively pushing for the worst of both worlds but at his age, he's not going to be around to see it beyond the next couple of years and he's certainly well past the point of being adversely affected by it personally so he doesn't care.  I understand the sentiment, after being thrown under the wheels by old fogies like this who aren't going to be around to endure the damage they've caused, it's understandable for sure.

Well I suppose that it's imaginative, she didn't pick on Blacks, immigrants or Jews to blame her problems on. It was the kind of people who decided that all the country's problems could be blamed on <group they themselves aren't a member of> that caused Brexit, there's a deep irony that someone should choose a different <group they themselves aren't a member of> to blame for Brexit happening. While the general public continues to display this level of deep incisive political thinking and sits on their fat arses waiting for someone else to fix things for them then we will continue to totter from one crisis to the next.

The actual blame lies initially with a bunch of Nationalist right wing Tory backbenchers who threatened to quit the Tory party and join whatever short-lived Nationalist party du jour* was around when they finally got around to it unless we had a referendum on leaving the EU. Then the blame passes to the weakest Prime Minister that we've ever had, David Cameron, who did a deal with them to deliver a referendum if they kept their fat worthless backsides on the Government benches in parliament propping up his parliamentary voting majority. Anyone with any gumption would have called their bluff and told them that if they didn't believe in what the party they were supposedly part of believed in they could go. If they had gone, they would have disappeared without trace at the next general election.

If Cameron actually possessed a functioning pair of testicles none of this would have happened. Can anyone imagine Maggie Thatcher letting herself be walked over like that by a simpering bunch of backbenchers that nobody outside of parliament or their home constituencies' Conservative Clubs  could even name? Heck, even Geoffrey Howe** would have chewed them up and spat them out.

*Deliberately unnamed to make a point, because it'd take a few minutes for most people to remember the name of the party involved, so effective a job they have done of disappearing without trace, apart from a few fading ripples of their internal factional fighting and regular press stories uncovering scandals involving their ever changing, ever evanescent leadership before they hand on the reins to the next incumbent (22 in all so far, including 'interim' leaders. Currently that recurring political joke and Enoch Powell fan, Neil Hamilton). Still struggling? It was UKIP.

** When roundly criticised by Howe in Parliament Dennis Healey said "I feel like I've just been ravaged by a dead sheep".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, FransW

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78520 on: January 01, 2021, 03:00:37 pm »
Yeah; historically over here the Libertarian and various independent parties have pretty much served to do nothing except take votes away from people who might have actually stopped the infection and give the wing-nuts a sounding board so the fulminating crazy coming out of their mouths seems almost like legitimate discussion.

Literally, worse than useless.  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 03:24:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78521 on: January 01, 2021, 03:05:24 pm »

I think you'll find that range extenders are half duplex at best, I tried one to boost the signal to my doorbell video camera, sited it just 1 metre away, linked to an access point just 6 metres away, total waste of time. Replaced it with a power link adaptor next to the main router, Ethernet lead to the adaptor and plugged in power link access point 1 metre away from camera, perfect max signal strength, no more problems.

Range extenders are shit. The only reliable way to build a wifi that can stand modern clients and their appetite for parallel video stream downloads is to put cabled access points everywhere there's people, and then move everything that really needs to work off the wireless. If it is bolted to or hung on the wall, it bloody well can have a cable run to it.

Yes indeed. I've removed the TP range extender. he Archer C7 seems to cover th house pretty well even though it's not in an ideal location. SWMBO wants a good connection but not a WAP on the wall  ::)
RF coverage generally is poor in the house, foil lined plasterboard  doesn't help.

Yup. My AX10/AX1500 gets great coverage... all over the back patio and halfway to the street on the other side. All through cement-backed drywall and brick outer walls.

Range extenders are more a people-tester device than anything useful...  :o

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78522 on: January 01, 2021, 03:24:14 pm »
It's all a bunch of c**p. While CE will be acepted for a while, if selling in UK and Europe from 2022 you will have to comply with two sets f regulations (CE & UKCA) and while the laws are free you will have to buy two lots of normalised standards, and if required two sets of notified body assesments. Now maybe some of these will be combined, but they will still cost more. So much for less bureaucracy.
Aviation is even worse. We are going back to a national system and have to set up arrangements with the other authorities, This covers everthing from aircraft design approval, pilot and engineer licencing, maintenence approvals the lot. The CAA was drastically downsized when we joined EASA and now have to pick up all the extra work. As of 23:00 yesterday UK licenced engineers could no longer certify maintenence on EU registered aircraft. If it wasn't for Covid 19 limiting travel it would be an even bigger mess.

Hmmm... I don't mean to pee in your cornflakes here... but it sounds to me like  KA-CHING$!$  for somebody like you who actually knows your ass from a hole in the ground.  :-+ A lot of deadwood will get shaken out (probably to be replaced by new deadwood ;)), but you'll be one of the guys holding the shitpiles together and building the new infrastructure. :P

Definitely will be some war stories you can tell your own PFY when the time comes.  :-DD

mnem
"My home is built from other people's shitstorms." ~bd139

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, cyclin_al

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78523 on: January 01, 2021, 03:52:19 pm »

One AP per room, then. Where I sit now I can visually see three active access points. Which is serious overkill (and that, as we all remember, is the TEA way to translate the Swedish "lagom". ) and should not be attempted unless a controller system is built that can manage the access points and control their RF parameters.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78524 on: January 01, 2021, 03:57:09 pm »
I'm seriously considering asserting my right to Irish citizenship.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf