Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481488 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #78050 on: December 25, 2020, 03:40:40 pm »
Still, I do acknowledge that tastes in tools are different. You and my mother would team up well; she also likes the fixed ones better.

Well, perhaps we both have some flexibility left. I can quite understand how, say, wrist overuse injuries might cause some the loss of the dexterity necessary to use a proper potato peeler.  >:D
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #78051 on: December 25, 2020, 03:53:01 pm »

Y'all need to step into the 20th Century... you know, seeing as we're now in the 21st.  :-DD

I also have one of these with ceramic cutter; it's actually washing right now. Def worth hunting one up; cutting action is effortless, and the 90° offset makes it easy to maintain the optimal slightly angled cutting orientation.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 03:55:48 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78052 on: December 25, 2020, 03:56:34 pm »
I'll stick with this one:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #78053 on: December 25, 2020, 04:08:08 pm »
Seasons greetings !

Ho Ho Ho, now I have a machine gun !

yippie kay yay, Motherfucker !

(taken from: the most famous christmas movie. Remember Nakatomi Plaza !)

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78054 on: December 25, 2020, 04:21:25 pm »

Oh-my-Gawwd, the quarterback is TOAST!!!

mnem
Hans. *chest thump*
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:26:32 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #78055 on: December 25, 2020, 04:29:48 pm »
Seasons greetings !

Ho Ho Ho, now I have a machine gun !

yippie kay yay, Motherfucker !

(taken from: the most famous christmas movie. Remember Nakatomi Plaza !)

A Christmas tradition. Along with A Christmas Story:-DD

Merry Christmas, all! May Santa have brought that one "last" bit of gear.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, beanflying, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78056 on: December 25, 2020, 04:35:24 pm »

A very TEA Christmas morning!  :-DD

Santy Claws was very nice to the TinkerDwagon... a new vessel for the morning lifeblood, my very favoritest chocolate, and a new tablet. Oklay, Mrs. Claws let me play with that one early, since I sent my iPad off to dad loaded up with family pix and viddzz.  ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 04:36:59 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: beanflying, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #78057 on: December 25, 2020, 04:38:29 pm »

*grew up with Machine Head on the 8-track for days at a time* :-/O

:-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #78058 on: December 25, 2020, 04:48:40 pm »

Y'all need to step into the 20th Century... you know, seeing as we're now in the 21st.  :-DD

I also have one of these with ceramic cutter; it's actually washing right now. Def worth hunting one up; cutting action is effortless, and the 90° offset makes it easy to maintain the optimal slightly angled cutting orientation.  :-+

mnem

The Jonas is a mid-20th century product (Production start 1953). That's new enough to me, actually pretty close to the 410b. (Did I mention I've got a -hp- 410b, by the way?  :-DD)

/mansaxel, completely bamboozled by the SwissMicros DM42.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #78059 on: December 25, 2020, 06:00:55 pm »
|O |O >:( :palm: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Lost my perfect eBay rating. Accidently listed a CSA 803C mainframe with SD-14 module for 100€ rather than 1000€. A dude scooped it up. I noticed my mistake, cancelled the sale, refunded and appologized profusely. Dude didn't reply and gave me a negative review:

Bad seller changes price after selling and cancels the transaction

Should be obvious to anyone such a machine will never sell for 100€. Vindicative ass.

So, what do you guys think? What are they chances to get it revised by him or eBay? How do I proceed.

Not a nice christmas gift  :(
Have a chat with eBay support team ask them what if anything you can do. I think it might be an uphill battle though as there are no others listed anywhere and no history of them ever being sold before on eBay, other than the one you cancelled. Sorry I didn't bring anything more positive.

There' are few 803s that have been sold on eBay. Prices range from a few 100 to over a 1000, depending on modules and general shape. Same (bit more for the 11801 (which is roughly the same machine). And I've sold both outside eBay for well over 1k (module included). Expecting this to sell for 100€ is just nuts.

Anyways, I'm gonna put on my kneepads and begg. Like, really beg. Fully plan to invoke Christmas forgiveness.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78060 on: December 25, 2020, 06:03:01 pm »

mnem
The Jonas is a mid-20th century product (Production start 1953). That's new enough to me, actually pretty close to the 410b. (Did I mention I've got a -hp- 410b, by the way?  :-DD)

/mansaxel, completely bamboozled by the SwissMicros DM42.

Sorry... I was thinking aboot the whole microtome-style family of peelers with the cutter on the same axis as the handle; here's one incorporating a knife in the tip for cutting out eyes and stone cells, etc. from the US dated 1897. I'm certain there have to be even older patents on the thing in the UK or Europe.

The idea of turning it 90° to alleviate fatigue seems to be a much more recent thing. I think. :-//

mnem
*toddles off to whack his orange*

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #78061 on: December 25, 2020, 07:10:06 pm »
My first step in the dangerous metrology ocean

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/group-buy-for-10v-ltz1000a-reference/msg3385714/#msg3385714

Santa brought me a scary thing this year....
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 07:13:20 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #78062 on: December 25, 2020, 07:53:18 pm »
ok, project for the new year:
start extracting jupiterium and saturnium, before I move to the outer planets ...

(I'm just kidding. Really.)

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78063 on: December 25, 2020, 08:07:29 pm »

TEAfternoon: 858D EARNING ITS KEEP

Dumbass dwagon toasted the charge circuit in his beard trimmer last night by mixing up his chargers.  :palm:

Took it apart and found it uses a TP4056 charge IC (datasheet attached below), which I happened to have oodles of on Li-Ion BMS boards I keep as handy Lego-type building blocks. OVP/LVP on protection IC work as expected testing with CV/CC power supply and ballast resistor, and new TP4056 is showing charge status with current right at 300mA. :-+

Now to monitor the unit through a few charge/discharge cycles and see if it behaves.

EDIT: Completed charging in aboot an hour with terminal voltage right at 4.2221V; STBY 4.0840V. :-+

mnem

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 08:49:08 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #78064 on: December 25, 2020, 08:37:50 pm »

mnem

That is the type of peeler I prefer, can't stand the other type.  I had fun yesterday doing sweet taters and regular taters for today's dinner.  Getting close to time to carve the bird.  Sweet tater casserole, mashed taters, green been casserole, salad and biscuits. YUM, can't wait.  By the way, Merry Christmas, TEA denizens.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline NCG

• Contributor
« Reply #78065 on: December 25, 2020, 08:41:39 pm »
After getting better for years and being able to get rid most of the boat(anchor) sized stuff I have Christmas relapse to the modern versions of the same. Damn.
Seasonal greetings, everyone. [ Specified attachment is not available ]

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78066 on: December 25, 2020, 08:50:34 pm »
Welcome to the nuthouse; you'll fit right in. If you haven't yet, familiarize yourself with the Ten Commandments of TEA and the TEA glossary on the first page; the juddering corner is over there and the Neverending Taco Truck is over there, parked right by the Hot Coffee Fountain. ;)

mnem

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:07:14 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: NCG

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78067 on: December 25, 2020, 09:13:30 pm »
Oh, and since it's still officially Christmas, not too late to dust off This Old Chestnut:

This old Chestnut...                                         By mnem

Chestnuts roasting on an open Tek scope;

Jacks and plugs aligned in rows...

Yuletide songs played on tube amplifiers,

And folks warming their hands by the triodes' glow.

Every TEA'er knows... a little extra grid bias and a heated cathode,

Help to make their nixies bright.

EEs and HAMs with their benches all aglow,

Will find it hard to flip that breaker tonight.

They know the carrier's on his way;

He's loaded all kinds of scopes and meters and maybe a 2-way.

And every nerdling's child is going to spy,

To see if a therumin can really make you fly.

And so I'll offer to tune the phase;

on antennas from one to ninety-two...

Although it's been tuned, many times, many ways,

There's no such thing as just right, even when it's Christmas, at two...

Merry Christmas all you maniacs, and may your God go with you!

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78068 on: December 25, 2020, 09:14:53 pm »

mnem

That is the type of peeler I prefer, can't stand the other type.  I had fun yesterday doing sweet taters and regular taters for today's dinner.  Getting close to time to carve the bird.  Sweet tater casserole, mashed taters, green been casserole, salad and biscuits. YUM, can't wait.  By the way, Merry Christmas, TEA denizens.
Here it's getting pretty close to time to carve the... lasagna.  >:D

mnem
Garfield can suck it.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #78069 on: December 25, 2020, 11:43:52 pm »
I hope everybody’s having as good a Christmas as possible under the circumstances.

I ordered a NanoVNA and a TinySA last week as a present for myself.  They should arrive sometime early in the new year and I wasn’t expecting to do this, but I ordered one of those NIB Agilent 34401As from eBay that were mentioned earlier.  That’s going to take a while to get here; it’s the second item I’ve purchased on eBay after reading about it here so hopefully, fingers crossed, it arrives in one piece this time unlike those HP coffee mugs from back in the summer.

Hopefully 2021 will be leaps and bounds better for everybody than this year was.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78070 on: December 26, 2020, 12:25:59 am »
holy crap ....... what a unique bunch of wingnuts hang out on this thread!

christmas day and you decide to argue over which feckin' potato peeler design is best!

merry christmas you wacky bastards!
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, beanflying, syau, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #78071 on: December 26, 2020, 01:14:00 am »
holy crap ....... what a unique bunch of wingnuts hang out on this thread!

christmas day and you decide to argue over which feckin' potato peeler design is best!

merry christmas you wacky bastards!

The best Vegetable Peeler I have had was a 25 year old Bouncy Blonde Chick who worked for me  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78072 on: December 26, 2020, 01:17:56 am »
I'm growin' my own...  >:D

mnem
Just a few more years and he'll be properly programmed...  :-DD

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #78073 on: December 26, 2020, 01:29:27 am »
I hope everybody’s having as good a Christmas as possible under the circumstances.

I ordered a NanoVNA and a TinySA last week as a present for myself.  They should arrive sometime early in the new year and I wasn’t expecting to do this, but I ordered one of those NIB Agilent 34401As from eBay that were mentioned earlier.  That’s going to take a while to get here; it’s the second item I’ve purchased on eBay after reading about it here so hopefully, fingers crossed, it arrives in one piece this time unlike those HP coffee mugs from back in the summer.

Hopefully 2021 will be leaps and bounds better for everybody than this year was.

Ah, NanoVNA. I gotta get one of those, eventually. The boat anchor VNAs are still mucho expensivo to buy for fun.

Not too long ago, I ran across a NuScope conversion kit on evilBay that would've fit my HP 8560E. It was second-hand but only about $100 off the new price. Too high for an impulse buy, so I debated it until someone else bought it. Probably for the best since that's a pricey upgrade to get second-hand with no warranty.

I look forward to seeing your new-in-box 34401A. I got one of the late-model 34401A last year for a pretty good price. It wasn't NIB, but looks the part. ^-^
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #78074 on: December 26, 2020, 01:31:52 am »

mnem

Here it's getting pretty close to time to carve the... lasagna.  >:D

mnem
Garfield can suck it.

That brings back memories of my youth.  Mom would vary between lasagna, stuffed shells or manicotti.  Piles of proper 3 meat meatballs and sausage and sauce simmering all day.  Dessert was Italian pastries from Ferrara's bakery.  It was fun to listen to Mom and Dad argue. They always would argue about something but didn't want me to know.  Mom would argue in Italian and Dad would argue in Sicilian but not everything translated so there would be the occasional English word interjected.  It was pretty funny.  I have done my 7 cheese stuffed shells with homemade marinara in the past for Christmas. 
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf