Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685659 times)

Vince and 31 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #68100 on: August 28, 2020, 07:40:45 pm »
Yeah very scary those things. I'd rather get one that at least looks like it's working.

Most of the Ramco stuff you can only see the front. The back, you never know.

NSFW (look at the connectors):
including "tested and W

That seller has a lot of kit that has what is obviously deliberate connector damage. Some on front too. I've seen that sort of thing done in spite by a user of the equipment who is't allowed to buy it from their employer and knows it's going to end up in a WEEE skip.  |O That seller also has some R&S kit including CRTU-RUs that are "tested and working" but "no hard drive" :palm: These don't work without a hard drive and building one up from scratch, even for just the non-licenced functionlity, is non trivial. R&S publish the software but first you have to get it booting DOS 6.22 (no, not FreeDos or anything else) before the R&S installer will run.

At least connectors are a lot simpler to fix, if somewhat tedious.

If it's destined for a WEEE skip, it shouldn't be re-entering the market. Anyone taking something out of said skip would be relying on the owner of the skip turning a blind eye, not a risk I'd take myself unless it was some unlikely situation involving unique/historic equipment.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68101 on: August 28, 2020, 07:51:35 pm »
Yeah very scary those things. I'd rather get one that at least looks like it's working.

Most of the Ramco stuff you can only see the front. The back, you never know.

NSFW (look at the connectors):
including "tested and W

That seller has a lot of kit that has what is obviously deliberate connector damage. Some on front too. I've seen that sort of thing done in spite by a user of the equipment who is't allowed to buy it from their employer and knows it's going to end up in a WEEE skip.  |O That seller also has some R&S kit including CRTU-RUs that are "tested and working" but "no hard drive" :palm: These don't work without a hard drive and building one up from scratch, even for just the non-licenced functionlity, is non trivial. R&S publish the software but first you have to get it booting DOS 6.22 (no, not FreeDos or anything else) before the R&S installer will run.

At least connectors are a lot simpler to fix, if somewhat tedious.

If it's destined for a WEEE skip, it shouldn't be re-entering the market. Anyone taking something out of said skip would be relying on the owner of the skip turning a blind eye, not a risk I'd take myself unless it was some unlikely situation involving unique/historic equipment.

Not strictly true that it should not come back on the market. Nothing to stop a recycling company assessing it and re-selling it. Unless a specfic contract says it has to be destroyed.

I'm certain the damage is deliberate and not skip or transit "rash" no damage on panels and looks like  screwdrive driven between connector shell and insulator.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68102 on: August 28, 2020, 07:53:52 pm »
Could also be the clearance guys chucking it loose in the back of a Transit. I’ve seen that before. In goes 20x HP DL580’s. Out comes a pile of scrap metal.

This planet is full of wasteful clueless evil idiots  :-+

Edit: half tempted to bag that second hand unused Siglent SDG1032X on eBay at the moment. Only problem is it’s 10% off usual retail price. Is it worth losing supplier warranty for a £25 saving? No stock at Telonic though.

It would of course be instantly persuaded that it’s an SDG1062X  :-DD
Personally, no I don't think it is worth it, go for a new one even if it does take time.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68103 on: August 28, 2020, 07:58:57 pm »
Just scored a Lyons Instruments PG73N bipolar pulse generator on ebay £7 BIN.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lyons-Instruments-PG-73N-Bipolar-Pulse-Generator-untested/324275478580
Supposedly not tested but they are simple enough to fix.
It will go in a stack with my Lyons Word Generator
They are nice and compact, not a foot or more deep like some of the HPs

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #68104 on: August 28, 2020, 08:00:23 pm »
Yeah Marconi 2955 is a winner there as well. Plus a whole bucket of OM IC's for it  :-DD

That is usualy fixed with one single resitor insead of replacing that module...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68105 on: August 28, 2020, 08:02:07 pm »
Just scored a Lyons Instruments PG73N bipolar pulse generator on ebay £7 BIN.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lyons-Instruments-PG-73N-Bipolar-Pulse-Generator-untested/324275478580
Supposedly not tested but they are simple enough to fix.
It will go in a stack with my Lyons Word Generator
They are nice and compact, not a foot or more deep like some of the HPs
Looks good  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #68106 on: August 28, 2020, 08:03:36 pm »
Not strictly true that it should not come back on the market. Nothing to stop a recycling company assessing it and re-selling it. Unless a specfic contract says it has to be destroyed.

I'm certain the damage is deliberate and not skip or transit "rash" no damage on panels and looks like  screwdrive driven between connector shell and insulator.

I guess what I meant to say is that subverting the intent of the skip owner/WEEE license holder by half-inching the item for my own purposes would be the risk I'd rather not take.

I'd agree regarding the damage in the picture, it's a bit too specific and localised to think it's anything other than deliberate.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68107 on: August 28, 2020, 08:31:54 pm »

Edit: half tempted to bag that second hand unused Siglent SDG1032X on eBay at the moment. Only problem is it’s 10% off usual retail price. Is it worth losing supplier warranty for a £25 saving? No stock at Telonic though.

It would of course be instantly persuaded that it’s an SDG1062X  :-DD
Got 2 in a shipment on Thursday and both gone already.  |O
Ordered 4 more and hopefully will have a few in stock for a bit longer.

About SA's.
None of the TG's are 'really clean' in that amplitude flatness varies over the swept full range which is why all SA's have a Normalize function so any discrepancies can be nulled out.
I was very nervous of damaging them when I got my first one but the Siglents are pretty robust with 50V max input spec and an inbuilt DC block plus 50dB of internal attenuation able to be dialed up however there are limits on how much you can use and for how long. Doing high power stuff you still need pads of some sort.

Edit. All the Siglent SA's have a visible and audible warning when you get close to their input limits.

The newer Plus versions are really nice with touch and mouse control and the webserver and a few more fruits earlier ones didn't have. My first a SSA3032X is back in its box for when a customer comes along that's a good fit for it. Private needs and demo duties are now assigned to a SVA1032X.
If you're gunna improve one the SSA3021X Plus is the one to get.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 08:43:52 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #68108 on: August 28, 2020, 08:39:43 pm »

New DuckTales...? AGAIN...? Seriously...? Ducking Disney, man... molesting the corpse for fun & profit a third (or is it fourth...?) time now... :palm:

That, and making certain "Steamboat Willie" NEVER goes Public Domain (through "suggestions" to people in Washington DC) is the aggregate raison d'être of the Disney company.

/M

Duck Tales. Duct Ales. Ductiles.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #68109 on: August 28, 2020, 11:03:01 pm »
   My Mastech MS8911 is slowly becoming my go to LCR meter for quick measurement.

I'm still working on my 10Mhz distribution amplifier and got some 1pF cap. The damn thing is able to measure them somehow accurately.

Toldja so!  :-DD

So... yesterday's Canada Post had 2 packages; it was package number B that REALLY made me go SQUEEEE!!!

As a result of goading by Kosmic (and because I felt a need for something NEW on the bench), I bought a MasTech 8911 just to see if it was as much better than my MS8910 as people say... 
(SNIP)
Final word: Just from a few minutes playtime on the bench, I can see that the MS8911 is pretty much EVERYTHING the MS8910 promises but can't deliver. This tool is a joy in the hand, and I already regret the $20 spent on its predecessor.  ::) If you can find it for less than $50 delivered like I did, it will quickly become one of those tools you KEEP OUT on the bench, and it will bring a smile to your face every time you reach for it.  ;D

mnem
 :-/O

mnem
:-/O
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 11:11:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68110 on: August 28, 2020, 11:56:36 pm »
Found some cheap LCR Tweezers on ebay. MASTECH MS8911, 1-3% accuracy (46$).   

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTECH-MS8911-Smart-SMD-Tester-Auto-Range-Auto-Scanning-6000-counts-SMD-Tester/202567452638

Was reviewed on Elektor magazine some time ago. Supposed to work fine.https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/review-mastech-ms8911-smart-smd-tester

They DO work, and they ARE reasonably accurate (provided you can get a decent grip on the DUT); the problem is that for the primary purpose of debugging PCBs or sorting random parts, they are effing SLOW and will have you in short order.

Also, their effectiveness IN CIRCUIT tends to be pretty poor compared to the Ideal/Siborg Smart Tweezer; lots more erroneous or just plain non-results. :o

For sorting parts you can make them work considerably quicker by presorting your components by type; but still they're a lot slower and more finicky about a good connection.

For the price, still worth having... just make sure you have realistic expectations. :-+

mnem

Hmm Hmm  :P

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #68111 on: August 29, 2020, 12:25:17 am »
quick update:
delivered Hubby safely to the medical rehab clinic ( for you mericns: that's heart rehab, not drug / alcohol withdrawal ...)

Went to Reichelt to get a bit distracted (there's nothing I can do for him while he's in the hospital)

Picked up a 32" UHD monitor, some mainboards, shitloads of SATA cables, and a WIHA wire stripper. I will let Neomys Sapiens have a closer look at it when I am back in the area.

Decided to do some more relaxation shopping and got a new camera (EOS R) on a whim (i.e. without thinking to much about the monetary consequences). Big mistake. Optical shit is bloody expensive.

Anyway, at least my lenses will continue to work on this critter. Otherwise I would probably return it ...

Decided to drive to the coast, will leave on Monday. Will try to get some exercise to regain lost strength for when hubby is getting out of the clinic.

Will go Hamburger feasting with my daughter tomorrow.

Then start arranging my stuff and crosschecking the TA-E 86, I brought the good one along and want to test, if it is really the TA-E 86 acting up, or something else.

I might have WiFi at the airbnb I'll be staying at so that I hopefully don't have to fight through 800 pages when I get back.

Do they make L series glass for the EOS R?  I've been avoiding looking at them, and figure I'll stick with my DSLRs, but am certainly interested in your thoughts on it.  Have an early M with an EF adapter, too - it looks ridiculous with a big SLR lens on it.

-Pat
Yes they do.
Rf 50 1.2l 2200€
15-35 f2.8 L 2200€
85 f1.2 L 3000€

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #68112 on: August 29, 2020, 01:12:47 am »
Do they make L series glass for the EOS R?  I've been avoiding looking at them, and figure I'll stick with my DSLRs, but am certainly interested in your thoughts on it.  Have an early M with an EF adapter, too - it looks ridiculous with a big SLR lens on it.
Yes they do.
Rf 50 1.2l 2200€
15-35 f2.8 L 2200€
85 f1.2 L 3000€

:o  Best that I don't look too closely at it, then - I love my f/1.2 Ls.

5D-II, EF85mm f/1.2L, ISO 3200, 1/500s, wide open

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68113 on: August 29, 2020, 01:35:24 am »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MASTECH-MS8911-Smart-SMD-Tester-Auto-Range-Auto-Scanning-6000-counts-SMD-Tester/202567452638

Was reviewed on Elektor magazine some time ago. Supposed to work fine.https://www.elektormagazine.com/news/review-mastech-ms8911-smart-smd-tester

They DO work, and they ARE reasonably accurate (provided you can get a decent grip on the DUT); the problem is that for the primary purpose of debugging PCBs or sorting random parts, they are effing SLOW and will have you in short order.

Also, their effectiveness IN CIRCUIT tends to be pretty poor compared to the Ideal/Siborg Smart Tweezer; lots more erroneous or just plain non-results. :o

For sorting parts you can make them work considerably quicker by presorting your components by type; but still they're a lot slower and more finicky about a good connection.

For the price, still worth having... just make sure you have realistic expectations. :-+

mnem

Yes, but you and I both know that was when I thought we were talking about the MS8910, which I owned and found craptacularly disappointing. My mini-review was the result of considerable first-hand experience with both, which my "Final word" clearly reflected.  :P

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68114 on: August 29, 2020, 01:41:30 am »
Yes they do.
Rf 50 1.2l 2200€
15-35 f2.8 L 2200€
85 f1.2 L 3000€

-Pat

Nice Picture!

Ouch even the EF version is not that cheap either. I need to convince myself that I have all the lens I need  ;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:56:04 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68115 on: August 29, 2020, 01:42:55 am »

mnem

Yes, but you and I both know that was when I thought we were talking about the MS8910, which I owned and found craptacularly disappointing. My mini-review was the result of considerable first-hand experience with both, which my "Final word" clearly reflected.  :P

mnem
 :popcorn:

Yes I know, I'm just teasing you  :P

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68116 on: August 29, 2020, 01:45:24 am »
I knew you were. Dwagon-taunting is, after all, the TEA National pastime.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 01:52:11 am by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68117 on: August 29, 2020, 01:46:24 am »
hehe  :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68118 on: August 29, 2020, 01:56:06 am »
That's okay... you'll probably have the last laugh. I keep looking at that Giga and having to make myself NOT PM you aboot the sensor.
Once the move is done, no idea how long THAT will hold out. 

mnem
Next thing ya know, I'll start liking bee-yurr again, ehhh...!?!:-DD
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 02:36:00 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #68119 on: August 29, 2020, 02:02:15 am »
Quote from: Cubdriver hilink=topic=81471.msg3209476#msg3209476 date=1598663567
Yes they do.
Rf 50 1.2l 2200€
15-35 f2.8 L 2200€
85 f1.2 L 3000€

-Pat

Nice Picture!

Ouch even the EF version is not that cheap either. I need to convince myself that I have all the lens I need  ;D

Meooowww ...

Don't have any spectacular lenses. Monetary confinement only allowed for the 17-40l, 24-105l, 70-200 f4 l and the 150-600 tamron.also the 24-105 is STM is floating around somewhere.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #68120 on: August 29, 2020, 02:03:36 am »
Needing a little 'Blinded by the Light' interlude ? Try this:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68121 on: August 29, 2020, 02:06:33 am »
That's okay... you'll probably have the last laugh. I keep looking at that Giga and having to make myself NOT PM you aboot the sensor.
Once the move is done, no idea how long THAT will hold out. 

mnem
Next thing ya know, I'll start liking bee-yurr too, ehhh...!?!:-DD

You better forget about that. Once you have the meter and then the cable you need to have the probe AC calibrated with the meter. It's a whole new rabbit hole.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #68122 on: August 29, 2020, 05:05:37 am »
TEA Rule #43
Never buy the cheapest chinesium, unless it is for explosion investigation purposes

Ah, I see the Ferengi influence is strong in this one. Is this the beginning of the "TEA Rules of Acquisition" or an extension of the "10 11 Laws of TEA (and counting)"?

What say y'all?

Splitting into laws and rules is clumsy. Just add a 12th.
BTW what happen if someone break some TEA laws? We need to define also the punishments  :-//

I vote for The 70 Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries TEAcquisition

Definitely a better mashup than 98%* of what's on reddit.  >:D

mnem
*Unsubstantiated figure shamelessly pulled right out of my scaly dwagon arse.

To alleviate the enforcement problem with laws, free us from the confines of a fixed quantity, and add to the abundance of already applied alliteration, I've renamed the section to

"The Myriad Maxims to Maximally Master TEAcquisition"

And, I've maintained the numbering, including #43. So, when submitting new entries, check for collisions if you'd like to preserve your choice of number.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #68123 on: August 29, 2020, 05:07:01 am »
<--------Only recently ventured into the world of HP.

<--------Is perfectly happy working in "MHz". Has nothing requiring "GHz".

<--------Should he get an SA to be part of the cool crowd or should he remain a dork?

<--------Decisions, decisions.  :-// :-DD

If you're happy working in MHz, but are interested to see your signal's harmonics, you may still need a 1+ GHz SA.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #68124 on: August 29, 2020, 06:14:40 am »
<--------Should he get an SA to be part of the cool crowd or should he remain a dork?

No, brother, its not being a dork, far from it, its just one step further to the enlightenment of TEA heaven.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf