Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844155 times)

factory and 123 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #625 on: March 07, 2017, 04:43:19 am »
You know, I've found that eBay's Collections feature is an inexpensive way to collect interesting, neat, etc. things with no impact to the wallet and no precious space taken up. I know, I know, that's anti-TEA, but this was supposed to be a therapy thread. :-DD

It IS a therapy thread.  You've heard of retail therapy, right?  This is a specialized variation of that, involving evilBay.   :D  New (old) test gear is the salve that, when applied, quells the itch.  Momentarily, at least.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #626 on: March 07, 2017, 05:40:41 am »
Stop and say "Dinner with my wife" over and over and over for an hour.   Then say it once in front of her.   Your problems of where to spend that money will vanish and you will have missed the horrible parts of the withdrawal.

Wife? Wife? i see no "wife" anywhere in this house.  :-//

Dang.  You're a lost soul then.  The only thing that has ever put the brakes on me is my wife.  I'll say a prayer....
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #627 on: March 07, 2017, 05:54:01 am »
Stop and say "Dinner with my wife" over and over and over for an hour.   Then say it once in front of her.   Your problems of where to spend that money will vanish and you will have missed the horrible parts of the withdrawal.

Wife? Wife? i see no "wife" anywhere in this house.  :-//

Dang.  You're a lost soul then.  The only thing that has ever put the brakes on me is my wife.  I'll say a prayer....

:-DD  I'm in the same boat, though there is currently much more house to fill thanks to the renovation embarked upon with the now ex wife.   :-+  (and for the record, the ex became an ex before my interest in electronics as a hobby reignited after being dormant for many years, so she was not displaced by boatanchors.)  The cats seem to like having new things to climb on, so they're cool with my acquisitions.

-Pat

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #628 on: March 07, 2017, 12:53:36 pm »
Surely there's stuff you need other than test equipment. ;D

There was something ... oh I remember - food. I need food. And toilet paper, I'm running out of that. And new socks, all of mine have holes in the heels.

But before that, maybe another spectrum analyzer! Eating can wait.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #629 on: March 07, 2017, 02:11:01 pm »
To console myself over the narrow escape of a Tek 2235 auction to someone with deeper pockets than myself, plus the fact I just opened the electricity bill I got last week, I had to do something cheap today. So I spent the morning contemplating repairing the 8010A I got earlier in this thread. I took the unit to bits and have discovered that it is a royal bastard to replace the display in it due to how the display assembly fits together. It's actually much easier to fix the handheld units. So I stole the display out of my 8021B which works perfectly and stuck that in the 8010A. I'll build a new display module for the 8021B like I did with the other one as it's actually easier. Incidentally the displays are interchangeable despite being different part numbers. PHEW.

Also got out of the car this morning and proceeded to catapult my smartphone across the car park. Despite having screen protector, thick TPA case etc, it landed screen straight on a rock and smashed to bits.  :palm:

This is all DAMN ANNOYING as I wanted that Tek 184.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #630 on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:19 pm »
A nice E3610A supply arrived today. Only fitting that I check it with my recently purchased U1252B.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #631 on: March 07, 2017, 10:43:57 pm »
A nice E3610A supply arrived today. Only fitting that I check it with my recently purchased U1252B.

Nice HP PS. I liked that pic (and numbers) so much I took one myself.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #632 on: March 07, 2017, 10:51:39 pm »
lol I have an Instek meter too, but i was too lazy to use it.  Maybe I should do another pic so we can be identical twins?

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #633 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:56 pm »
lol I have an Instek meter too, but i was too lazy to use it.  Maybe I should do another pic so we can be identical twins?

Yea try it, it's not all that easy to get that exact reading ...  :popcorn:

(The output voltage can be changed in .0001 increments even though there is no indication of it on the PS)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:56:05 pm by xrunner »

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #634 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:30 pm »
... I spent the morning contemplating repairing the 8010A I got earlier in this thread...

You know you've got TEA when you can refer to posts in this thread as your working notes. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2017, 01:12:42 am »
 Hmm, I already have an E3610, should I get another, or a GPD-3303S? I take it for the Instek I want the one with the 2.2/3.3/5V output spaced away from the two adjustable ones, to get one that doesn't have the turn on spike on the fixed output?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #636 on: March 08, 2017, 02:06:28 am »
Correct. The 3303S with a gap between channels 1 and 3 doesn't overshoot.

Of course, if you don't really need a digital display, the older model with analog meters is even cheaper.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline FrankenPC

• Supporter
« Reply #637 on: March 08, 2017, 02:23:13 am »
Re acronyms:   You forgot BNP:  Brand Name Psychosis.   An obsession with test equipment from a particular manufacturer who is typically really expensive.
Chinglish poetry: In the hot summer. In the car ran full steam. It tastes strange. For this worry? With this fan will bring you a cool summer. Suitable for all kinds of cars. Agricultural vehicles. Van. Tricycle.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #638 on: March 08, 2017, 02:27:46 am »
Re acronyms:   You forgot BNP:  Brand Name Psychosis.   An obsession with test equipment from a particular manufacturer who is typically really expensive.

Ooh that's me too! I just never knew the specific disorder.  :-\

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #639 on: March 08, 2017, 02:51:16 am »

Ooh that's me too! I just never knew the specific disorder.  :-\

I have at least three strains of it, and possibly one or two more that are latent and simply awaiting the proper trigger to bring them to the surface... 

-Pat

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #640 on: March 08, 2017, 05:51:10 am »
HELP!!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

I'm finding I'm:
  • looking for equipment to acquire,
  • drooling over stuff I couldn't possibly afford,
  • watching reviews/tear downs on stuff I can't afford either,
but not actually building anything!  |O

I need help FAST :palm:
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #641 on: March 08, 2017, 07:38:57 am »

I totally have this disorder!!! I knew it wasn't just me that suffered from this!!!

The question is how prevalent is it? Is it part of the natural progression of GAS or does it only happen in a small percentage of cases?

For my lab if the brand name isn't Keysight (or HP/Agilent), Keithley, Rohde&Schwarz or Tektronix then it's not going to fit in!
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #642 on: March 08, 2017, 08:31:36 am »
For me it's mainly HP followed by Tektronix, with Fluke and a bit of GenRad bringing up the rear.  No Keithley so far, and R&S is far less common on this side of the pond, so none of their stuff either.  I fear that given the opportunity either of those could trigger heretofore latent GAS.  <we really need a scared, nail biting smiley!  imagine one here>

-Pat

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #643 on: March 08, 2017, 08:38:54 am »
HELP!!!!!

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

I'm finding I'm:
  • looking for equipment to acquire,
  • drooling over stuff I couldn't possibly afford,
  • watching reviews/tear downs on stuff I can't afford either,
but not actually building anything!  |O

I need help FAST :palm:

Buy name brand, but busticated stuff, and repair it.  It's incredibly aggravating frustrating ...err... REWARDING to do, and can be an excellent form of mental torture exercise.

;D

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, MarvinTheMartian

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #644 on: March 08, 2017, 09:09:53 am »
... I spent the morning contemplating repairing the 8010A I got earlier in this thread...

You know you've got TEA when you can refer to posts in this thread as your working notes. ;D

This thread is terrible for that. It's a constant reminder of all the dead bodies I have lying around that need zombie surgery. Yet it makes me buy more zombies. I found a frequency counter in the cupboard while looking for parts last night that I forgot I even had.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #645 on: March 08, 2017, 09:38:26 am »
Buy name brand, but busticated stuff, and repair it.  It's incredibly aggravating frustrating ...err... REWARDING to do, and can be an excellent form of mental torture exercise.

A damn sight better than vegetating while doing the crossword.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #646 on: March 08, 2017, 09:54:47 am »

A damn sight better than vegetating while doing the crossword.

I actually said that to SWMBO the other day. My mother still doesn't understand it. She repairs and restores antique furniture. Doesn't get the parallel between that and this.

On the subject of mental torture and repairing brand name stuff, I wasn't happy with the bodged in display from the 8021 that I stuffed in the 8010A as the border wasn't clean and the contrast was poor so I spent 4 hours last night wiring a new one in with kynar. Annoyingly I have found that the power supply caps are shot at the same time as you periodically get dips in the readings. Will fix that tonight.

Before (as advertised on ebay):

After, at the pinnacle of the "tower of test":

Peeled off all the stupid RS rebranding stickers as well, scrubbed the whole thing and evicted the spider corpses. RS pisses me off when they stick branding over everything. Still got a Thurlby PL310 with an impossible to remove RS sticker.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #647 on: March 08, 2017, 10:42:04 am »
Here I go again.

Just scored a Tek 475 on ebay for £49 including delivery! \o/ YAY

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #648 on: March 08, 2017, 11:40:31 am »

Wasn't that hard       - OK not a PSU and DVM   but I didn't recalibrate the Nixie DVM.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #649 on: March 08, 2017, 11:46:50 am »
I recently moved quite bit of my stuff around - put all the Nixie gear in one "Tower of Nixie" esp for Cubdriver
All work fully except the 5216 which has a dead MSD - haven't got to it yet, not sure if driver chip or tube.
The 5245L second up from bottom (was my worst/most difficult repair - took me so long but I learnt a lot) I have about 5 plugs ins for her.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 11:48:44 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf