Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685816 times)

onsokumaru, Vince and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #6175 on: January 10, 2018, 11:41:34 pm »
Great news about your T12, still no news about mine.  :-+

Postie comic is true to life, many a postie has dumped mail before and also opened them to see what they can find. The last picture really made me laugh though  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6176 on: January 10, 2018, 11:53:02 pm »
Good news comes with bad news. Never fall asleep with your MacBook on your lap. Hit the floor. Screen has popped  :palm:

Well that one lasted 4 years.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6177 on: January 11, 2018, 12:16:58 am »
Can you get a new screen and fit it or are the tales about the lack of parts true?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6178 on: January 11, 2018, 12:22:03 am »
Parts are easy enough to get hold of. Looks to be around £350 for the whole bonded lid assembly. Not terrible effort to replace but an inconvenience.

Top left still works fine - enough to kick off a backup onto external media  :-DD

I have two spare machines, including a 2011 MBP and a Thinkpad T440 so not end of world. This was just the nicest one :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6179 on: January 11, 2018, 12:42:04 am »
Don't they use iCloud to automatically back up then?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #6180 on: January 11, 2018, 12:44:24 am »
Good news comes with bad news. Never fall asleep with your MacBook on your lap. Hit the floor. Screen has popped  :palm:

That sucks. Not exactly the cheapest hardware either. I mean, that costs almost two haircuts to replace.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #6181 on: January 11, 2018, 12:48:25 am »
I mean, that costs almost two haircuts to replace.

:-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6182 on: January 11, 2018, 12:50:28 am »
Don't they use iCloud to automatically back up then?

You can set that up but I have 150Gb of stuff and a shitty 1.2 meg upload line so hardly worth it. I use time machine which is a full differential incremental system backup to external disk. Just plug the disk into a new one and do the restore and carry on.

That sucks. Not exactly the cheapest hardware either. I mean, that costs almost two haircuts to replace.

Hahaha that’s a good way to explain the sudden cost to SWMBO.

I’m actually just considering losing it on eBay and buying another one. It’ll still go for £600 which I can chuck at a new one. It’s getting towards EOL so I’m not sure repairing it is worth it. Might be for someone else but it might blow up the week after you repair it. Then the cost is unknown.

Big problem this is seriously hurting my TEA budget!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6183 on: January 11, 2018, 01:25:02 am »
Well if you cant get it as 2 haircuts, then it becomes an emergency budget, not TEA budget  :-/O
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6184 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:53 am »
Well if you cant get it as 2 haircuts, then it becomes an emergency budget, not TEA budget  :-/O

Our judgement of budget can get pretty clouded when you see a nice piece of gear that's normally really expensive going for just slightly expensive on the'ol ebay. Besides im sure i can fix that single selftest error code that its throwing....i hope.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #6185 on: January 11, 2018, 06:28:05 am »
Over TEA for the day. Serious other work to be done  :popcorn:

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6186 on: January 11, 2018, 07:32:41 am »

Our judgement of budget can get pretty clouded when you see a nice piece of gear that's normally really expensive going for just slightly expensive on the'ol ebay. Besides im sure i can fix that single selftest error code that its throwing....i hope.
Exactly sir [emoji23]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6187 on: January 11, 2018, 07:39:52 am »
Indeed. I’m weighing up “buy new screen” or “meh use an i5 and windows for a bit and get that nice HP 8640”.  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253352856659

Online TheUnnamedNewbie

• Super Contributor
  • mmwave RFIC/antenna designer
« Reply #6188 on: January 11, 2018, 07:49:31 am »
So I have some more info on my HP 8657A. The post office received it for sorting today and it should be at my door tomorrow.
The unfortunate and confusing part is the import cost. I was aware I would have to pay import, and I was always told it was 21% of the price you payed + 12 EUR administrative costs. I payed 200 USD for the signal generator, which is about 168 EUR. 21% of that is about 35 EUR. Add 12 EUR admin. costs and I'm looking at just shy of 50 euros import. But they are charging me 97 euros! that is twice as much as the cost I calculate!

I will pay up because well, I have to, but I want to know more details about this. As I was planning on purchasing some other stuff of ebay in the future that is worth a significantly larger sum, I don' t want to be surprised with higher import charges there as well.

Anyone know where I went wrong in my ball-park estimate that turned out to be only half of the actual import cost?
The best part about magic is when it stops being magic and becomes science instead

"There was no road, but the people walked on it, and the road came to be, and the people followed it, for the road took the path of least resistance"

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6189 on: January 11, 2018, 07:50:24 am »
Indeed. I’m weighing up “buy new screen” or “meh use an i5 and windows for a bit and get that nice HP 8640”.  https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253352856659

I have the opposite problem.

My screen works fine but my RF signal generator refuses to give me anything above -50dBm, i think the relay attenuation in it got stuck again.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6190 on: January 11, 2018, 07:52:07 am »
That's a nice one, I'd love it as well but a bit pricey for my budget and also too big for bench. [emoji52]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6191 on: January 11, 2018, 08:00:09 am »

My screen works fine but my RF signal generator refuses to give me anything above -50dBm, i think the relay attenuation in it got stuck again.

That always seems to happen with RF gens. I had a Marconi 2019A and that came with two entire attenuators assemblies in a supermarket carrier bag with it. The guy said “you’ll be needed them”. I did!

That's a nice one, I'd love it as well but a bit pricey for my budget and also too big for bench. [emoji52]

I have the same problem as well at the moment.  However I’m going to sell my DG1022Z which is a buggy piece of crap and grab a TTi function generator and hopefully that instead. Space I shall worry about later.

On another note, looks like house move may be falling through FFS. Some chump up the chain has been bankrupted. 

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6192 on: January 11, 2018, 08:04:01 am »

That always seems to happen with RF gens. I had a Marconi 2019A and that came with two entire attenuators assemblies in a supermarket carrier bag with it. The guy said “you’ll be needed them”. I did!

I have the same problem as well at the moment.  However I’m going to sell my DG1022Z which is a buggy piece of crap and grab a TTi function generator and hopefully that instead. Space I shall worry about later.

On another note, looks like house move may be falling through FFS. Some chump up the chain has been bankrupted.
Oh ffing hell, WTF was he thinking about, he must have known that he couldn't afford it and that he had this hanging over his head.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6193 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:57 am »
Yes. Idiots be everywere. I think he was downsizing. But a bit late. Lots of people have had their properties on the market for a couple of years with no buyers in London. I managed to knock the seller of our new one down by £40k because they hadn’t sold for 18 months and they had moved to Australia and were renting it out because they couldn’t sell it before they went.

Plenty of bargains to be had.

If only TEA fix prices were as negotiable :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6194 on: January 11, 2018, 08:40:50 am »
Yes. Idiots be everywere. I think he was downsizing. But a bit late. Lots of people have had their properties on the market for a couple of years with no buyers in London. I managed to knock the seller of our new one down by £40k because they hadn’t sold for 18 months and they had moved to Australia and were renting it out because they couldn’t sell it before they went.

Plenty of bargains to be had.

If only TEA fix prices were as negotiable :(
Yep, that TTi 1604 went for £28 but I fell asleep and missed it [emoji52]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6195 on: January 11, 2018, 08:56:25 am »
That was a bit high for an end price. A working 1705 can go for as low as £50.

TTi won’t issue service info for it either past “return to base for repair”. Nothing repairable in them these days  either.  I’d pay good money for something not disposable.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6196 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:40 am »
I knew that, but I was working on it being a power supply issue and thought if it was that I bypass their supply if not fixable and add my own. So maybe it was a good job I fell asleep after all :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #6197 on: January 11, 2018, 09:04:04 am »
Parts are easy enough to get hold of. Looks to be around £350 for the whole bonded lid assembly. Not terrible effort to replace but an inconvenience.

Top left still works fine - enough to kick off a backup onto external media  :-DD

I have two spare machines, including a 2011 MBP and a Thinkpad T440 so not end of world. This was just the nicest one :)

Does it still work with an external monitor attached?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6198 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:43 am »
I knew that, but I was working on it being a power supply issue and thought if it was that I bypass their supply if not fixable and add my own. So maybe it was a good job I fell asleep after all :popcorn:

Might have been worth a punt at £20. Worst case you could have just listed it again as spares / repair  :-DD

Does it still work with an external monitor attached?

It does. This is just a fecked panel. It is cracked right down the middle. Will sort a new one out at some point. I am not overly fussed really. I thought I’d be devastated by such a fuck up but nothing happened. This might be because I really just hate computers (even though it’s the day job) and am slightly happy to see one getting battered. Meh.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6199 on: January 11, 2018, 11:06:36 am »
Woohoo! Now if only I had the time today to actually even open it :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf