Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18102887 times)

sorenkir, EE4all and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5975 on: January 06, 2018, 08:06:20 am »
Topped out at ovet 41 degrees C today. Not even sure it was worth the suffering to improve the TE budget  :P

Any North Americans want to borrow some heat  :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5976 on: January 06, 2018, 08:53:57 am »
That looks rather good. Although I’m not sure I could cope with the additional heat from the barbecue :)

Personally I’m a believer in being cold all the time. Got a bit hot here last year (topped 30 a couple of times) so we went to Switzerland to cool off and got snowed into the hotel for two days with some Swiss nationalists. They were “interesting”. If I didn’t have some Swiss blood in me, I’d probably have been shot or something.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5977 on: January 06, 2018, 10:26:28 am »
Yep, much easier to warm up then it is to cool down and money saved on heating is more for TEA🤠
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5978 on: January 06, 2018, 11:17:49 am »
The TEA is the heating.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #5979 on: January 06, 2018, 03:25:00 pm »
I see no reason you couldn't mod the handle with a different silicone cable and a tactile switch to make the "Boost" button a little more intuitive to use.

This is the joy of the MetCal/Thermaltronics SmartHeat system; it senses the shift in loading instantly on contact with the work and increases power to the inductive coil, without having to wait for the "tip cools down, sensor senses change in temp, demand more heat" part of the loop.

Not sure, but perhaps the whole system qualifies as an electro-chemical PID controller...

mnem
This sh** makes my brain hurt.  :palm:
I'm not familiar with the system, but from watching a clip it looks like tips are a single temperature only?

Yes; they work by using high-frequency current to inductively heat a special alloy slug to its curie point, which intrinsically regulates the tip temperature. The power supply monitors the HF, and whenever the tip touches anything metal it is able to instantly sense the increased loading and applies more current. In short, there's no need to "turn up the heat" for larger work; it does it for you whenever you need it.

Topped out at ovet 41 degrees C today. Not even sure it was worth the suffering to improve the TE budget  :P

Naah... it's a welcome break from the usual hot & sticky of Tejas. But I'll have some of that fatback & eggz, pleaze. Yum.  :D

mnem
Got any coffee?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5980 on: January 06, 2018, 03:52:58 pm »
Topped out at over 41 degrees C today. ...

It is -23°C in Montreal, this is a 64° difference  :(

:)

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #5981 on: January 06, 2018, 05:50:28 pm »
-23°C :o I thought Winnipeg (a.k.a., Winterpeg) was cold. I guess you're in the freeze that the Eastern US is also experiencing.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5982 on: January 06, 2018, 05:54:14 pm »
I’m moving to Canada. I want to move somewhere I can stab someone with my own piss.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5983 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:58 pm »
And there's more TEA. ^-^

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #5984 on: January 06, 2018, 06:15:29 pm »
I’m moving to Canada. I want to move somewhere I can stab someone with my own piss.

Ah yes, the canonical "disappearing murder weapon" beloved of crime fiction writers :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #5985 on: January 06, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »
I think I made a mistake and I'm only half done...

I decided to take over my wife's office in the lower level of my house.  She's retired and doesn't need the space.  My equipment had been spread around the house in three areas.  So now I am bringing it all together for the first time. 

What should I do with 6 spectrum analyzers, three of which are HP 856x?  I have too many frequency counters to count.  Two GPSDO's and I don't know how many HP voltmeters.   This is borderline crazy and I'm sure I will get called on it once the family sees it in one place.

I think I need to shed some gear...

Jerry

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5986 on: January 06, 2018, 07:01:33 pm »

I decided to take over my wife's office in the lower level of my house.  She's retired and doesn't need the space.  My equipment had been spread around the house in three areas.  So now I am bringing it all together for the first time. 

What should I do with 6 spectrum analyzers, three of which are HP 856x?  I have too many frequency counters to count.  Two GPSDO's and I don't know how many HP voltmeters.   This is borderline crazy and I'm sure I will get called on it once the family sees it in one place.

Jerry
Double side lock the door.
Drop sheets covering your 'special' gear from prying eyes.
Label some equipment 'borrowed' or 'under repair'.  >:D

If and 'when' ever found out, ask to examine shoe and handbag collections.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #5987 on: January 06, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »
My favorite was the Alfred Hitchcock yarn about the wife who murdered her cheating husband with a frozen leg of lamb, then cooked and fed said murder weapon to the detectives investigating the case.  :-+

17°C here in Houston right now... -18°C back home in the Finger Lakes region of New York.

Two nights ago, temp was -18°C here.

Oh yeah; climate change is just an imaginary bogeyman to stop American business from making the profits they deserve...  :palm:

Jerry

Shed my way! I could use a good bench meter... been relying on an old Fluke 87 and Sperry DM-6450 as my "reference" meters for far too long... and the only spectrum analyzer I have is the software approximation included in my hacked DS1054Z.

Of course, then I'll need to shed some gear myself; probably will need to find a new home for the Tek 454 I've been stubbing my toe on for months now...

Double side lock the door.
Drop sheets covering your 'special' gear from prying eyes.
Label some equipment 'borrowed' or 'under repair'.  >:D

If and 'when' ever found out, ask to examine shoe and handbag collections.  :horse:

Yeeeowch... now THAT kind of skulduggery would definitely contravene the Bicameral Disarmament Treaty of 2005 (Otherwise known as our Marriage Certificate ;) ) and would serve to seriously piss off my most favorite "enabler/supplier".  :-DD

That dilemma of "Do I want to be right, or do I want to be happy?" always lands on the "Happy" side for me/us. Nope... not worth it, at least for me.  :-- 

mnem
Science is not a liberal conspiracy.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5988 on: January 06, 2018, 07:25:15 pm »

Ah yes, the canonical "disappearing murder weapon" beloved of crime fiction writers :)
Not if the big freeze continues.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5989 on: January 06, 2018, 07:27:48 pm »
Good luck breaking it off in those temperatures  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5990 on: January 06, 2018, 07:35:48 pm »

Double-depth shelves.
Priest hole, or its modern incarnation, a false partition/stud wall.

Or just ask us nicely ;)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5991 on: January 06, 2018, 08:51:57 pm »

Double-depth shelves.

Yes, that's what I was about to say. Have the "backup" gear behind the active.

Offline eternalpurple

« Reply #5992 on: January 06, 2018, 11:36:14 pm »
My God...............I just started getting into electronics as a way to relieve GAS (Guitar acquisition syndrome).  Is there to be no rest?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5993 on: January 06, 2018, 11:42:00 pm »
My God...............I just started getting into electronics as a way to relieve GAS (Guitar acquisition syndrome).  Is there to be no rest?

I suspect they are mutually reinforcing. There is rest, but it comes too soon and is too permanent.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5994 on: January 07, 2018, 12:04:57 am »
Another great British invention and produced product by AIM TTi Ltd.

TTi do make some excellent kit and a comprehensive product range https://www.aimtti.com/
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5995 on: January 07, 2018, 12:11:18 am »
Big TTi fan here. Good power supplies and function generators too.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5996 on: January 07, 2018, 12:17:30 am »
Yep, I'm converted as well now. I always did have a soft spot for them as being a British company as well, and also of course, although you're not quite as a big a fan, the connection with Sinclair, yes he did cut corners, but we do owe a lot to him because he managed to introduce so many things to the masses that were previously the domain of the more well heeled part of the population  :popcorn:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5997 on: January 07, 2018, 12:30:21 am »
I like the borrowed or broken strategy, SWMBO and I have a 'don't ask, don't tell' strategy, me re her shoes /handbag / lululemon running gear and her re my test /ham gear.
Much nicer day here in Adelaide,  25C. Yesterday minimum 29,  max 40C, but only 6% humidity, some of the bitumen was 'melting'. Air conditioning is a life saver!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline cncjerry

• Supporter
« Reply #5998 on: January 07, 2018, 02:07:39 am »

Double-depth shelves.
Priest hole, or its modern incarnation, a false partition/stud wall.

Or just ask us nicely ;)

I'm thinking of putting a rack in front of my desk so the upper equipment is turned towards me and the lower rack's facing into the  room.  I'll have to reach a little across the desk but I'll have a lot of work space without equipment on the desk.  I do a lot of RF work so i was thinking of putting a spectrum analyzer right even with the desk and a scope or signal analyzer above it.  I'm going to setup another area dedicated to just phase and frequency measurement. And the last rack will be all voltage and power related.  I'm going to drape something over it and close the shades, lock the doors and hope for the best.

Pictures to come.

Jerry

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #5999 on: January 07, 2018, 02:12:36 am »
Another great British invention and produced product by AIM TTi Ltd.

TTi do make some excellent kit and a comprehensive product range https://www.aimtti.com/

That's one that's been on my wishlist for a while now...  ...one of these days...  Thanks for reminding me.   :-/O   :rant:

:-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf