Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17686151 times)

Robert763, onsokumaru and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #58900 on: May 20, 2020, 04:12:10 pm »
@bd139, that sure looks nice, classy and understated. Do a FPS check on GTA V and see what you get now, I set mine back a couple of notches on the pixel settings and took of all the shadows etc highlights etc and still only got 60 - 61 FPS so I'm guessing that the biggest bottleneck I have in the graphics dept might the 2 GB DDR5 Graphics ram. I have 32 GB of system ram.

Control is shit with keyboard and mouse however, need to get a proper game controller to get the most pleasure from playing that kind of game.

I'll be assembling the Xtal tester later, looking forward to that, another kit to build  :-+

On the negative side, I heard last night that my Aunt passed away Monday morning at her nursing home in Eastbourne, aged 103 of natural causes. Looking like I may be the only person at her funeral whenever that is going to be granted, apart from one or two staff members from her home. She does have a Sister, 96 in a home Isle of White and 2 Nieces, neither of whom had ever met her so won't be attending. Not much off a sent off for her I'm afraid. :(

Condelences from my side. Keep the good memories.

Condolences from here too.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #58901 on: May 20, 2020, 04:18:12 pm »
Theme inside my PC is "black" if anyone hadn't noticed.

Good investment so far  :-+

The theme inside mine is completely accidental and unintentional: bling. The motherboard "aura" lights and the fan lights both cycle over ~15s, and the fan rim lights rotate slowly.

At least I haven't pimped it buy adding RGB LED strips! "All done in the best possible taste", in the immortal words of Cupid Stunt.

I'm still playing around and working out how to set it up, so that there won't be too much pain over the next decade. Tonight's fun and games will be LVM (with multiboot and UEFI).

As for performance:
  • Grub OS selection to login prompt: 2-3s
  • Current machine's bogomips is 5600*2=11200; new machine's is 7186*16=115000
  • "tar czf" maxes out at 6% of the CPU :(
  • SATA disk bandwidth is 4* higher, say 150MB/s
  • external USB3 disk bandwidth is also 150MB/s
  • m.2 SSD bandwidth is ~1000MB/s
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58902 on: May 20, 2020, 04:23:21 pm »
On the negative side, I heard last night that my Aunt passed away Monday morning at her nursing home in Eastbourne, aged 103 of natural causes. Looking like I may be the only person at her funeral whenever that is going to be granted, apart from one or two staff members from her home. She does have a Sister, 96 in a home Isle of White and 2 Nieces, neither of whom had ever met her so won't be attending. Not much off a sent off for her I'm afraid. :(

Condolences, of course.

I've been writing off my 99yo mother for a couple of decades. When my father died there was a large gathering. When she dies, it isn't even clear if her other son and grandaughter will be able to be there - he is 78, and they are both self-isolating. We may end up having just a couple of people at the burial, and a proper sendoff at some undetermined future date.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58903 on: May 20, 2020, 05:00:57 pm »

Condolences, of course.

I've been writing off my 99yo mother for a couple of decades. When my father died there was a large gathering. When she dies, it isn't even clear if her other son and grandaughter will be able to be there - he is 78, and they are both self-isolating. We may end up having just a couple of people at the burial, and a proper sendoff at some undetermined future date.

That's the downside with living to such a ripe old age, even if you retain your health and vitality you outlive your friends, your family, everybody (but of course can dance on the graves of your enemies, if any).

When my mother finally decided to give up the ghost at 93 years of age, I was her only living relative and her life long friends had to be represented by their children who themselves had passed retirement age. My mother (being of Irish descent) was deserving of a proper wake, with at least one fight and half a dozen arrests for drunk and disorderly behaviour, and instead got a quiet polite affair.

My condolences to Spec.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58904 on: May 20, 2020, 05:07:00 pm »

Condolences, of course.

That's the downside with living to such a ripe old age, even if you retain your health and vitality you outlive your friends, your family, everybody (but of course can dance on the graves of your enemies, if any).

When my mother finally decided to give up the ghost at 93 years of age, I was her only living relative and her life long friends had to be represented by their children who themselves had passed retirement age. My mother (being of Irish descent) was deserving of a proper wake, with at least one fight and half a dozen arrests for drunk and disorderly behaviour, and instead got a quiet polite affair.

Just so. My mother was significantly influenced by her grandmother - who probably remembered Queen Victoria's accession to the throne in 1837 :) That was a remarkable old age!

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #58905 on: May 20, 2020, 05:47:46 pm »
On the negative side, I heard last night that my Aunt passed away Monday morning at her nursing home in Eastbourne, aged 103 of natural causes.

103 is an achievement. Please accept my condoleances.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58906 on: May 20, 2020, 06:12:52 pm »

This is based on a text joke passed on to me by my wife; I turned it into a proper timeline and added a little color commentary. Hope y'all enjoy; if you don't, well suck it.  :-DD

mnem
 >:D

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:00:56 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, bd139, duckduck

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58907 on: May 20, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »
Thanks everyone for the messages of condolences, much appreciated. I think that I've only ever met my Aunt about 6 times in my life part of that problem was that the family broke up while the Sisters were very young, my Mum and her sister (the one in the home on the Isle of White) lived with my Gran and the one in Eastbourne went to live with her dad. When she was old enough she got married to an army officer, and they moved all over the world on various postings, only returning to the UK on his retirement.

My mum was the only sister who made friends with her again on her return, and they kept in reasonable contact with each other. They settled in Eastbourne and when her husband passed on a few years ago they only spoke occasionally on the phone. She has been living in a nursing home for many years now and the only other relative she has is on her husbands side and a distance relative at that but lived near Eastbourne, and they saw each other regularly, but she is now also retired and in the at risk category and her son, a Doctor in Liverpool has forbidden her to leave her flat under any circumstances until this virus is confined to the history books, so unless I make the 200-mile trip (assuming its allowed at the time) then my Aunt will only at best have, if she is lucky the odd staff member at her funeral, which hardly seems right but these are times we live in now  :palm:

Back on topic.

The xtal tester is finished (just got to assemble the case for it) and it has passed all the diagnostics, however the only crystal I can quickly lay my hands on is a 2.4576 MHz which does not register when plugged in. I'm hoping that this is a duff crystal and I will go on a hunt for other crystals that I rob from defunct gear to test it out. But all the tests given in the instructions, all check out just fine. More on this later when I return from shopping trip  :--

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 06:25:03 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #58908 on: May 20, 2020, 07:09:21 pm »
Is med branching out from just TEA..? Check out the stickers in the rear window for "evidence"...

nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58909 on: May 20, 2020, 07:21:42 pm »
Fiat was never successful over here and that rolling piece of dog shit is one of the reason's why.   :wtf: :o :palm: :-DD

And even buying Chrysler hasn't helped them.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58910 on: May 20, 2020, 07:23:14 pm »
Yeah Fiat can fuck off after that pile of shit I bought off 'em :-DD

Edit: down to one scope again and no Tektronix stuff. Scope tally so far:

Restored

- 3x 475
- 2x 475A
- 5x 465
- 3x 465B
- 2x 453
- 1x 2235A
- 3x 2225
- 1x 2445
- 1x 7603

Scrapped

- 1x 465B
- 1x 465
- 1x 475
- 1x 453
- 1x 2235

Other:

6x Philips, 3x Hameg, 2x HP, 1x Thurlby, 2x LG, 1x Hitachi, 7x Telequipment (3x D83, 2xD61, 1xS61, 1xD75), 3x DS1054Z, 1x SDS1202X-E
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:35:45 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58911 on: May 20, 2020, 07:33:50 pm »
For the German TEA hunters:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/werkstattaufloesung/1399173457-84-4550

Hmmm, only 200Km away and for a mere €2200 plus the price of a rental van and a divorce, extremely tempting.

McBryce.

244 km, no divorce, extremely tempted. But not even a driver's license. :palm:
I guess it'd take hours just to pack all that stuff safely into the van.
... and I'm not even starting to envision how my garage would like after the haul ...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58912 on: May 20, 2020, 07:35:27 pm »
Everyone laughed when Jennifer Lopez did this Fiat commercial. That diva wouldn't be caught dead driving it unless they paid her big bucks.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58913 on: May 20, 2020, 08:44:55 pm »
Yeah Fiat can fuck off after that pile of shit I bought off 'em :-DD

Edit: down to one scope again and no Tektronix stuff. Scope tally so far:

Restored

- 3x 475
- 2x 475A
- 5x 465
- 3x 465B
- 2x 453
- 1x 2235A
- 3x 2225
- 1x 2445
- 1x 7603

Scrapped

- 1x 465B
- 1x 465
- 1x 475
- 1x 453
- 1x 2235

Other:

6x Philips, 3x Hameg, 2x HP, 1x Thurlby, 2x LG, 1x Hitachi, 7x Telequipment (3x D83, 2xD61, 1xS61, 1xD75), 3x DS1054Z, 1x SDS1202X-E
:o
X-E gone ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58914 on: May 20, 2020, 09:53:34 pm »
Hell no. That's the only survivor  8)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #58915 on: May 20, 2020, 10:22:55 pm »
Everyone laughed when Jennifer Lopez did this Fiat commercial. That diva wouldn't be caught dead driving it unless they paid her big bucks.

They probably gave her one for every day of the week; that way they can keep ahead of the curve as they drop dead. Painfully, they're a pandemic here in Canada. Fucking little rolling coffins; they make the '78 Honda Civic I once had feel like going down the road in your living room. :palm:

Worse; there are actually people up here trying to UBER with them.   :wtf:

mnem
Don't let yourself be caught dead in one of them; if you do, odds are high you will be.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58916 on: May 20, 2020, 10:25:47 pm »
Is med branching out from just TEA..? Check out the stickers in the rear window for "evidence"...

Haha, never had you down as a Hub Nut fanboy.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #58917 on: May 20, 2020, 10:29:53 pm »
:phew:
Not gunna be tempted at having another go at a D83 ?
Any bits of them kept ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58918 on: May 20, 2020, 10:38:14 pm »
:phew:
Not gunna be tempted at having another go at a D83 ?
Any bits of them kept ?

Nah that one with the duff tube nearly killed me. I gave the remains and the bits to a forum member on another forum who was trying to keep his running now so it all went to a good home in the end  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58919 on: May 20, 2020, 10:43:19 pm »

Well... they are surprised to be jolly good fun machines and whats more, there is also a Fiat 500 model in the UK that costs more than £25,000, in fact that is also their most expensive car in the UK, believe it or not  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58920 on: May 20, 2020, 10:48:50 pm »

Well... they are surprised to be jolly good fun machines and whats more, there is also a Fiat 500 model in the UK that costs more than £25,000, in fact that is also their most expensive car in the UK, believe it or not  :o

That doesn't say much for British cars, does it?  :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58921 on: May 20, 2020, 10:58:00 pm »
British?, there Italian cars  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58922 on: May 20, 2020, 11:48:03 pm »
British?, there Italian cars  :-DD

Yes I know they are Italian. Lost in the translation here. If the most expensive car in the UK is a crap Fiat then obviously British cars must REALLY be crap.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #58923 on: May 20, 2020, 11:49:42 pm »
Been busy with other things today but I spent a few minutes with the IG-18. The power supply output was measured at 38V. I disconnected it from the main circuit and it still was 38 V. According to the ideal output as shown on the schematic it would be 43 V. The zener is a 43 V version according to the parts list.

The supply did have the 47 V at the collector of Q10. The zener drop measured about 37.4 V. I wondered if the zener current was now a little low after all these years, so I pulled the 2400 ohm resistor and it measured 2600 ohms, so that would possibly cause the zener voltage to be a little low due to a low zener current. I replaced the resistor with a new 2400 ohm one and now I get 39 V output. I then tried a 2200 ohm resistor but the zener voltage stayed put, so I think I think for this type of simple generator it's good enough. I'll move on to the matter of the distorted sine wave.

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #58924 on: May 20, 2020, 11:53:34 pm »
39 volts is most likely OK. It is not unusual, and often stated on the schematic, that the voltages may vary as much as +/- 20%.

That's the nature of the beast with Heath equipment.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf