Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685767 times)

onsokumaru, Vince and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #5800 on: December 31, 2017, 05:55:36 pm »
That's what I thought as well but so far there only seems to on electrolytic cap in it the others are SMDs.

Under a microscope I did notice what looked tin whiskers on some of the IC leads so I've got my hot air gun out and I'm bloody scared of cooking them to death, its bloody lead free solder everywhere and it demands loads of heat to reflow, even the T12 is struggling to make the bloody stuff break a bead, even by added some normal solder to lower the MP.

I never got any sign of an image on the screen though, just the screen lighting up and remains lit regardless of anything I do but as soon as I take away the input signal I gate a flash of light as the screen goes black and the power light changes from a Blue to Red.

Replaced the one cap although it did not read bad at all, 230 mohms 310uF (should be 470uF 35v) with a new one reading 423uF and 60mohms, 50V so I'm going to pop the PCB's back in it now and then try again.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5801 on: December 31, 2017, 06:11:19 pm »
Good luck :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #5802 on: December 31, 2017, 11:50:00 pm »
Hmm, the monitor I was given was showing signs of the "2 seconds to black syndrome" but testing today connected to my computer revealed that was not the case at all. With no input it did indeed just do a quick flash and drop into standby mode. with an input it no longer did that and the screen lit up a dull grey and the brilliance buttons function normally so I can get the whole screen to go a slightly brighter shad of grey.

No image on the screen however but at least it is able to detect that it is receiving an input and keep the backlight switched on, so I think its worthy of further investigation, I might just stumble across something, who knows.

For those who are interested it is a Crossover 30Q5 PRO 2560 x 1600 pixels IPS screen and the panel itself is the same one as used by Apple in their "Cinema" display and goes for £1,100 so is really capable of some stunning displays if I can get it working again. There is precious little information about on line as it a Korean product.

These are a Korean made "Bottom rung" niche market monitor made specifically to leverage the mid-side LG IPS displays into the $350-450 market niche. LOTS of variables here in this market segment; you have to pay extra for a "zero dead pixels" guarantee, and as you've found out, manufacturer service is vaporware.

What you're describing is high probability to be either a video processor or switcher IC fault (mainboard) or a T-con board (usually attached directly to the panel, between the panel and the LVDS cable to the mainboard). The T-Con and the panel are USUALLY sold as a matched pair; as in the T-Con is designed and firmware-specific to the particular panel. In many cases, even different product runs of the same panel will require a differently calibrated T-Con.

Fortunately, as the T-con is produced this way, you MAY be able to find a generic part by the LG Part no that will work most of the time but may have inaccurate color reproduction; in many cases these are pretty cheap and well-worth taking a gamble on resurrecting your screen.

Some screens may have an LED Driver between the mainboard and T-Con; this processes the LVDS signal to control the LED backlighting zones for dynamic contrast. It is usually a go/no-go part, but can kill all picture to the screen as well.

In other news: OOOPS!

Exploded a tiny watch-cell size rechargeable battery trying to solder leads to it; I knew it was a risk, but took a chance anyways. Had to go decontaminate my skin and workbench and change clothes... now trying to decide if this camera is worth scrounging up a replacement (or actually getting off my ass and making the tab-welder I've been meaning to do for like... ever). I can probably live with having to reset the clock/calendar every time I swap batteries, but now it's started flashing the dread E:91:01 error, indicating a faulty flash circuit. :palm:

Little DSC-W30 has been a great workhorse for over a decade and still takes some of the best macro pics of any point & click I've ever owned; it's almost like an old friend...

mnem
*Tinker-ily*
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:01:22 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5803 on: December 31, 2017, 11:51:55 pm »
I've started another thread https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repairing-crossover-30q5-pro-30'-monitor/ to cover this monitor repair as after doing some work on the boards I have now gone froma a black screen to this screen So progress is being made but is it now terminal or not? :palm: 

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5804 on: January 01, 2018, 12:01:39 am »
In other news: OOOPS!

Exploded a tiny watch-cell size rechargeable battery trying to solder leads to it; I knew it was a risk, but took a chance anyways. Had to go decontaminate my skin and workbench and change clothes... now trying to decide if this camera is worth scrounging up a replacement (or actually getting off my ass and making the tab-welder I've been meaning to do for like... ever). I can probably live with having to reset the clock/calendar every time I swap batteries, but now it's started flashing the dread E:91:01 error, indicating a faulty flash circuit. :palm:

Whoops. They go with quite a pop don't they!

I used to nick my nan's hearing aid batteries. She knew they contained mercury but didn't know what to do with them after they were used. So she put them all in a large matchbox. Now her brain had completely gone by then and I was about 11 and a complete psychopath so I used to steal 50% of the stock that was in there and take them in the garden and fry them on a camping stove with a frying pan. When I say fry them I used to chuck them in the pan and stand well back.  Probably killed a few brain cells doing that.

Happy new year from the UK. Sounds like a flipping air raid outside now.

This year's resolution is to buy more hewlett packard shit :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5805 on: January 01, 2018, 12:11:00 am »
Yeah, got my undivided attention, I tell you what...

I've been breathing soldering fumes for 4 decades, so my brain cell count is probably a bit on the low side as well... Who are you and how did you get inside my phone?  :-DD

Happy New Year!

@Specmaster-

Almost 100% certain now; dead T-Con board. you'll want to check the power rails to the T-Con and make sure they're within spec before you change it. If you can find one.

mnem
Needs more cowchip.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:12:51 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5806 on: January 01, 2018, 12:26:16 am »

I've been breathing soldering fumes for 4 decades, so my brain cell count is probably a bit on the low side as well... Who are you and how did you get inside my phone?  :-DD

Happy New Year!

@Specmaster-

Almost 100% certain now; dead T-Con board. you'll want to check the power rails to the T-Con and make sure they're within spec before you change it. If you can find one.

mnem
Needs more cowchip.
Happy New Year to you and all the usual gang on here.

Those mercury cells are little buggers aren't they. Your glasses ruined now as a result of the shrapnel?

How much mercury do they contain, very I expect and with it being spread wide and far like any dosage is likely to be minimal and I think you did all the wise things to decontaminat yourself and the area.

I'm not sure what you mean by the the Tcon board, I can only find three, the one that the input and power go to, the one at the top with the FPGA on it and the 2 ribbon cables going to the screen and the third is the back light driver.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5807 on: January 01, 2018, 12:29:49 am »

Happy New Year!

@Specmaster-

mnem
Needs more cowchip.
How can I check the power rails when I can't get any information on it to find out what the spec should be for the rails [emoji54]
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5808 on: January 01, 2018, 12:45:51 am »

Happy New Year!

@Specmaster-

mnem
Needs more cowchip.

Those mercury cells are little buggers aren't they. Your glasses ruined now as a result of the shrapnel?

How much mercury do they contain, very I expect and with it being spread wide and far like any dosage is likely to be minimal and I think you did all the wise things to decontaminat yourself and the area.

I'm not sure what you mean by the the Tcon board, I can only find three, the one that the input and power go to, the one at the top with the FPGA on it and the 2 ribbon cables going to the screen and the third is the back light driver.

The T-Con can be completely hidden by a tin cover attached to the back of the LCD panel. This is the one used in the Apple A1083 Thunderbolt display:

Oh, the cell I was working on isn't a Mercury/air cell; it's a rechargeable using cobalt/titanium chemistry. Since I don't know a lot about the chemistry involved, but I do know that cobalt can be toxic stuff if you get enough in the bloodstream, I decided to err on the side of caution, hence giving myself the "Karen Silkwood" treatment.

mnem
More power! Waugh Waugh Waugh!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 01:05:20 am by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5809 on: January 01, 2018, 12:48:12 am »

Happy New Year!

@Specmaster-

mnem
Needs more cowchip.

The T-Con can be completely hidden by a tin cover attached to the back of the LCD panel. This is the one used in the Apple A1083 Thunderbolt display:

mnem
More power! Waugh Waugh Waugh!
That's the one that had tin whiskers on it.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5810 on: January 02, 2018, 12:55:39 am »
While is was tidying my lab / workbench, I found this nice 5V reference from Doug Malone (DMMcheck  r3 http://www.voltagestandard.com/DMMCheck.html).
I've bought it 2 years ago and I thought, I could hook it up with some of my DMM.
After 10 hours I got this:

And this is a screen capture from my DMM7510:

The 7510 and the 34401A were calibrated until Dec. 2016, the Fluke 8520A was repaired by myself (blown up tantalums) and the Solartron 7065 was a lucky purchase last year.
But the best thing is: they all do agree each other.  ;D
And the DMM checker from Mr. Malone works really nicely.  :-+
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 01:01:24 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #5811 on: January 02, 2018, 04:14:24 am »
Way nice.
Nice to see meters fairly close.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5812 on: January 02, 2018, 04:49:01 am »
Wow , a Solartron 7065. My most regretted purchase.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5813 on: January 02, 2018, 03:48:39 pm »
Two days into the year and I think I may have got my hands on some more test gear pretties that I don't have enough room for. Fingers crossed - negotiating now, instead of doing real work, because more important :D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5814 on: January 02, 2018, 03:50:28 pm »
Two days into the year and I think I may have got my hands on some more test gear pretties that I don't have enough room for. Fingers crossed - negotiating now, instead of doing real work, because more important :D

Having better luck than I am then.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5815 on: January 02, 2018, 03:52:39 pm »
Wow , a Solartron 7065. My most regretted purchase.

Why did you regret it to purchase a Solartron 7065?

Update from my 7510 measurement (captured screen just a few minutes ago):

Edit: running in 10 PLC mode (integration rate)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 03:56:25 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5816 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:56 pm »
I am so fucking pissed off at the moment. Did a 50 mile round trip to pick up two scopes and the capital toss wank had already sold them.

Alas two nice big Telequipment D83 mainframes are not mine :(

Now consoling myself in the kebab shop.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5817 on: January 02, 2018, 08:40:24 pm »
I am so fucking pissed off at the moment. Did a 50 mile round trip to pick up two scopes and the capital toss wank had already sold them.

Alas two nice big Telequipment D83 mainframes are not mine :(

Now consoling myself in the kebab shop.
WTF!!!! was this on Ebay? Report them for breach of contract and flouting all rules of common decency... :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5818 on: January 02, 2018, 08:54:47 pm »
Scumtree. I have just complained about the dick.

I have however landed a TTi PL154 (15V 4A) supply just now so swings and roundabouts. That’s 55W of power at 13.8V with remote sense so nice little comms power supply :-+

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5819 on: January 02, 2018, 08:57:33 pm »

I have however landed a TTi PL154 (15V 4A) supply just now so swings and roundabouts. That’s 55W of power at 13.8V with remote sense so nice little comms power supply :-+
Hmm, it wasn't by any chance the person who loads of scopes to sell and could also be using a crystal ball? IIRC that person had 2 of those recently on their listing?? :rant:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5820 on: January 02, 2018, 09:02:23 pm »

Arh, those trade mark control knobs, looks half decent does that, nice warm glow of LEDs for your little corner, well done. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5821 on: January 02, 2018, 09:04:45 pm »
While is was tidying my lab / workbench, I found this nice 5V reference from Doug Malone (DMMcheck  r3 http://www.voltagestandard.com/DMMCheck.html).
I've bought it 2 years ago and I thought, I could hook it up with some of my DMM.
After 10 hours I got this:

And this is a screen capture from my DMM7510:

The 7510 and the 34401A were calibrated until Dec. 2016, the Fluke 8520A was repaired by myself (blown up tantalums) and the Solartron 7065 was a lucky purchase last year.
But the best thing is: they all do agree each other.  ;D
And the DMM checker from Mr. Malone works really nicely.  :-+
I don't think the DMM checker is being sold any more.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5822 on: January 02, 2018, 09:13:09 pm »

Hmm, it wasn't by any chance the person who loads of scopes to sell and could also be using a crystal ball? IIRC that person had 2 of those recently on their listing?? :rant:

That’s the one. Stay well away. He runs a house clearance business and/or a zoo.

Arh, those trade mark control knobs, looks half decent does that, nice warm glow of LEDs for your little corner, well done. :-+

Indeed they’re really nice supplies. I’ve already got a PL310(30v 1A) but that can only deliver 14W at 13.8V so I need some more wumph.

Also it’ll get up to 19v to compensate for any voltage drop in cabling so it’ll drive the T12 iron nicely too :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5823 on: January 02, 2018, 09:17:59 pm »
He? is he of a certain persuasion then, I thought it was a lady selling what used to her husbands??

Not only would PSU power the T12, it could swallow it up a dozen times still have space for more, its huge by comparison :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5824 on: January 02, 2018, 09:28:13 pm »
Ah no not that one. Gumtree one. The 200 scopes one is in derby. This one is farnborough.

I am waiting for a tek 7603 to appear. SWMBO is going to hate me for that one.  :-DD

It’s a linear supply so nice noise free soldering  :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf