Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18102889 times)

sorenkir, EE4all and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #525 on: March 02, 2017, 08:23:30 am »
money, like cheap crack.

you could get it for 100$ or so

Probably more accurate and more resolution than I'd ever need as a newb going through AoE.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #526 on: March 02, 2017, 08:25:03 am »
WHy did you choose 8251A over the HP 3478A? I'm torn between the two myself.

Because I already have two 3478A  :P

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #527 on: March 02, 2017, 08:28:40 am »
Which one do you like better?

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #528 on: March 02, 2017, 08:50:09 am »
Another few for the list:

Continuous Observations For Future Electronics Equipment

It's when you just can't stop running searches on eBay because you just know that the piece of equipment you don't yet know you NEED is going to be listed any minute.

Caught Again Finding Equipment

It's when your other half walks in and chastises you for being on eBay again having a COFFEE or even worse right in the middle of making a TEA!

Last Addition To Test Equipment

It's when you promise yourself, your credit card, bank balance and other half that this really is the last TEA you will make. It's quite often immediately follows CAFE when you get caught just as you hit the commit to buy button and then you hastily promise LATTE to try and remedy a bad situation.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:56:42 am by rachaelp »
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #529 on: March 02, 2017, 09:20:39 am »
Something I have noticed on more than one occasion .... is the following two threads at the top of this sub-board:

So the question is .... Is there a causal relationship here - or is it just a coincidence?

Offline Rémi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #530 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:06 am »
Which one do you like better?

I cannot compare for now, I haven't received the GDM-8251A yet.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:39:58 am by Rémi »

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #531 on: March 02, 2017, 10:20:53 am »
I'm suffering from SAD at the moment. The seller send me a tracking id for my next Fluke 8010A project but the damn ID doesn't work and I fear they are too much of a wally to actually understand how to get it out of the courier's consignment management web site.

So when will it arrive ? :scared:

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #532 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:20 am »
SAD resolved. It arrived, and apart from the display which I know was bust, it works perfectly!

Packed in a shoe box with some newspaper around it rattling around though  :palm:

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #533 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:02 am »
Nice one (the Fluke 8010), alas bad display (the black blob will get larger inevtiably).

I've got one of last unicorns here (@work), still calibrated on a yearly schedule (hope it never fails)
It's major advantages over the ubiquitous Fluke 179 here is:
- battery never gets drained
- more bandwidth in AC mode
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #534 on: March 02, 2017, 11:17:55 am »
SAD resolved. It arrived, and apart from the display which I know was bust, it works perfectly!

Excellent, glad it arrived and works!

Packed in a shoe box with some newspaper around it rattling around though  :palm:

Really?! What is it with people not knowing how to pack a parcel properly? It's not hard!

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #535 on: March 02, 2017, 11:29:41 am »
Indeed. Gets me every time. Packing rules I use.

1. at least 4 inches around all sides if under 2Kg. If above 2Kg, 6 inches all around. If above 8Kg, 9 inches. If above 10Kg, buyer collects.
2. heavy duty thick walled cardboard box
3. Roll it in bubble wrap on both axis until it just about fits in the box and doesn't budge a mm. If there are any handles/bails, fold them flat against the unit with a layer of bubble wrap under them so not to scrach, not extended as this results in rapid disassembly in transit.
4. Tape the feck out of it with quality 3M brown tape, not the poo coloured cling film everyone sells.
5. send it via parcelforce or UPS, not the lowest bidder.

Nice one (the Fluke 8010), alas bad display (the black blob will get larger inevtiably).

I've got one of last unicorns here (@work), still calibrated on a yearly schedule (hope it never fails)
It's major advantages over the ubiquitous Fluke 179 here is:
- battery never gets drained
- more bandwidth in AC mode

The LCD is not a problem if you're a masochist like myself. It's being replaced tomorrow with a new one and about half a mile of kynar.

Actually crap, I forgot to order more kynar ... shopping time.

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #536 on: March 02, 2017, 12:54:38 pm »
 So naturally afflicted with SAD, I checked the shipping stats this morning and - my 8251A will arrive SOONER than expected. But wait, that means it is expected to be delivered this Saturday - when I will not be home!

Can't win - guess I will go order the GPD-3303s to console myself, even if it is one of the versions that will likely have the spike on the third output.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #537 on: March 02, 2017, 01:06:04 pm »
So the question is .... Is there a causal relationship here - or is it just a coincidence?

Very perceptive. It's a causal relationship. One thread feeds off another. One group/thread seems to be an enabler for the other. In order for an addict to quit, there should not be a enabler nearby. It's up to each person to stay away from enablers.  ::)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #538 on: March 02, 2017, 01:23:31 pm »
In order for an addict to quit, there should not be a enabler nearby. It's up to each person to stay away from enablers.  ::)

That's impossible when the support group is full of enablers! :-DD

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #539 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:32 pm »

Are you going to do an LED mod for the display?  Seen some very nice ones for 8050A:

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #540 on: March 02, 2017, 01:53:17 pm »
I did consider that initially as I have the parts around but I've only got high intensity displays which are ridiculously bright so would require a whole pile of series resistors to current limit. Also the LED displays require a lot more current than the LCD does and the LCD's I can get for very little money. I'm going to do what I did here which is retrofit a standard 3.5 digit LCD module: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/fluke-8024b-won't-zero/

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #541 on: March 02, 2017, 02:51:31 pm »
 Oh now that is neat, while the LCD on my 8012A is fine, I like the idea of putting LEDs in there. Is there more information on that mod?  Wonder if you could do something similar to an 8060A handheld - again my LCD is in fine condition other than the contact surfaces which I have to periodically clean as some segments get dim or don't show at all. Probably destroy battery life though.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #542 on: March 02, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »
That's impossible when the support group is full of enablers! :-DD

LOL - now I have some understanding of why people have such a hard time quitting smoking.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tkuhmone

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #543 on: March 02, 2017, 03:50:46 pm »
I have actually quit smoking in 1995. No cigarette since then... But I am not sure about DMM, or other symptoms - can I handle them...?
Timo, OH7HMS

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #544 on: March 02, 2017, 04:12:01 pm »
I hope my DMMs will never take up smoking

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #545 on: March 02, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
I've had a couple which have had passive smoke inhalation.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #546 on: March 02, 2017, 04:29:18 pm »
I've had a couple which have had passive smoke inhalation.

And on the other extreme i have 20 year old gear that does not have a spec of dust inside while also having a fan. Ether it ran in a clean room, had very little use or someone really went at it with compressed air before i got it.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #547 on: March 02, 2017, 07:26:23 pm »
Oh now that is neat, while the LCD on my 8012A is fine, I like the idea of putting LEDs in there. Is there more information on that mod?  Wonder if you could do something similar to an 8060A handheld - again my LCD is in fine condition other than the contact surfaces which I have to periodically clean as some segments get dim or don't show at all. Probably Would definitely destroy battery life though.

Fixed.   ;)  That's one definite advantage of liquid crystal displays - they are very efficient from a power consumption standpoint.  A quick search didn't reveal anything, but I'd imagine that they must be an order of magnitude or three better as far as that goes.  Not a huge deal for something line powered (and a better viewing angle to boot), but much more significant for something running from a battery.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2017, 07:37:18 pm »

Excellent, glad it arrived and works!

Really?! What is it with people not knowing how to pack a parcel properly? It's not hard!

Best Regards,

Rachael

People who pack things like that should be strung up by their thumbs!!!!!   :rant: :rant: :rant:

Packing is such a simple concept!   :wtf:   |O

My Fluke 5440B just arrived from CA, and appears to be uninjured by its travels.  It weighed about 77 pounds packed.  Styrofoam sheets and a triple wall box that I had to modify to fit it, and it came through fine.  Packing things is not rocket surgery!  Immobilize and cushion them.  You'd THINK that sellers might learn this, but alas it seems many never do.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #549 on: March 02, 2017, 08:09:49 pm »
 Very true. It's not THAT hard to do. The stuff I sell on eBay is generally small plastic models, so far never have had any broken in transit, both selling and buying. Bought plenty of LCD monitors via online and never had one damaged, but then those are new and in the OEM packing. My Signlent scope was the same way. My 3610 power supply came VERY well packed, but I bought that on eBay from a test equipment reseller so they should certainly know how to package test gear since that's mostly all they sell. It's most definitely not rocket science, but sometimes you have to wonder.
 The carrier tossing the package over the fence isn't the worst I've seen - friend of mine once came home to find a package IMPALED on their wrought iron fence - the nutcase driver attempted to throw it over the fence but didn't put enough oomph into it and it wound up on top of the fence.
 The UPS guy at my old how was particularly bad at the whole getting a signature thing. I was working from home a lot in those days and I would hear the doorbell, run down the steps, and by the time I opened the front door the truck was halfway down the road. 
 Me, I pack stuff ASSUMING the package will be used as a rugby ball (or practice NFL field goals).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf