Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481406 times)

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43775 on: December 01, 2019, 02:20:33 am »

@worsthorse I have the same issue with my illuminated desk mounted magnifier, taking the cover of revealed a similar SMPS unit with the florescent ring appearing to directly soldered to it, but there is a square socket on the other end that plugs onto the 4 pins of the tube. Have you actually checked your tube or is not a full circle?

It was soldered on this one but it doesn't matter. The problem is the SMPS generating a 25KHz RF signal that radiates well enough that my scope probes pick it up. Yes I could probably build a shield around the power supply and stick ferrites everywhere and so on but life is too freakin' short. I'd rather keep the parts of it I like and make it into something else useful.

Back to working on the 184. The good news... I didn't fry the nuvistor in the 10MHz oscillator.  Onward!
specialization is for insects.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43776 on: December 01, 2019, 02:27:32 am »
@Worsthorse: you have really been notified about the package?

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43777 on: December 01, 2019, 03:14:02 am »
@Worsthorse: you have really been notified about the package?

I received it about an hour ago. USPS changed the delivery number so it wasn't showing up under the original Deutsche Post number. I was coming in to sit down and send you a note. Thank you!

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #43778 on: December 01, 2019, 03:16:02 am »
Today I have on the bench one of the two Data Precision 6000 digitizers I bought on the cheap. They seem to be working with some burn in time. Ideally, this unit will be paired up with my 2045 Polynomial Waveform Generator to digitize arbitrary waveforms and play them back as needed. Should be a useful troubleshooting tool once it's all setup.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Kosmic

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #43779 on: December 01, 2019, 03:29:48 am »
The closest period equivalent I can think of is the Tek 7854 waveform oscilloscope...this has the advantage of being considerably smaller than a Tek 7000 scope.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43780 on: December 01, 2019, 05:37:46 am »
Ummm.... you do realize that there are LED rings in warm, bright, and daylight white available on fleaBay in pretty much all sizes imaginable for a mere pittance or two, right...?

mnem
*plerp*

*sigh* yes i do know that. i said i was an idjit, didn't i? i bought this one locally after a frustrating morning of working in the dim, cavern-like corner of the basement that is my test bench.  i was desperate. nevertheless i bow my head in shame for not doing proper research, being patient, and buying the correct tool for the job.

>:D

Well, no... my point in THIS post was that rather than destroying the thing, you should turn it into a victory by retrofitting one of those inexpensive LED rings and designing a nice quiet linear supply to power it. :-+

The other post was just me picking on Spec. ;)

mnem
*tzzzt*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43781 on: December 01, 2019, 09:28:38 am »

mnem
*tzzzt*
Thats OK cos my shoulders are broad, like yours  :-DD

My turn now  >:D that light ring is kind of er interesting  :-+ but there is a slight problem, the actual ring (as far as I can see) is not sold separately, so it does mean replacing the entire fitting, not that it is expensive. I might actually get one of those myself, it might be less top heavy than mine, which has the SMPS also in the head adding to the weight.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43782 on: December 01, 2019, 10:48:31 am »
Getting back into the obsession......this Ebay order is supposedly going to be delivered on Monday. Based upon the weather forecast I doubt that's going to happen. This tube is a replacement for the vertical pre-amp section of the RCA 54-45 scope. I also have a complete set of replacement resistors for the entire vertical section that should be delivered Tuesday but again I doubt that will happen.

This is the latest weather forecast. What is unusual is the duration predicted. Typically these winter storms are about 12 – 18 hours max. This one is predicted to be around for over 24 hours. Could raise the snow totals significantly.

More.....I have one of these coming probably next week. A Hakko FM-203 valued at over $570 USD. My Brother is the lead maintenance tech for a device placement company. Their soldering stations tried out these Hakko's for a while but decided to go with Metcal's instead. So the Hakko's became surplus. I'm getting one for the cost of shipping. I thought about bringing it back with me from Colorado but I have only carry on luggage and I doubt the Hakko would have made it through security. Mnem...you can now stop bitching about the cheap POS soldering station I bought recently. :P :P :-DD This Hakko will replace it.

Rant mode on.....I thought we had a Gentleman's agreement to keep political posts out of this thread. I seem to recall asking an innocent question once of the UK folks of their opinion of Boris and I got a quick and terse reply of “Don't go there”. OK, fine. The last few days I've been reading diatribes on here about the London terrorist shooting and whether it was justified or not. Isn't that a “Don't go there” or is that for some reason acceptable? I think not. So is political in or out? And I really don't think you'd much like to hear the opinion of a right to bear and does own a gun Yankee.  Rant mode off.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43783 on: December 01, 2019, 11:02:39 am »
That’s a proper iron  :-+

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43784 on: December 01, 2019, 12:47:39 pm »
Who need one of those t12 clone when you can get the real thing. Really nice  :-+

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43785 on: December 01, 2019, 01:08:09 pm »
car battery charging  ::)

I have limited the Rohde+Schwarz to 20A so it will not boil the test cables.

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #43786 on: December 01, 2019, 01:15:13 pm »
Now that's how TEA members charge car batteries!

If only our local Autiozone workers could see that.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #43787 on: December 01, 2019, 01:24:29 pm »
yeah
that`s one of the fastest chargers in the market.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43788 on: December 01, 2019, 01:30:53 pm »
car battery charging  ::)

I have limited the Rohde+Schwarz to 20A so it will not boil the test cables.

I have to admit to abusing by HP 6002A in the same fashion.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43789 on: December 01, 2019, 01:43:15 pm »
I have limited the HP to ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY........mA.  because that is about all it will do.

am now suffering from a severe case of power supply envy.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43790 on: December 01, 2019, 01:47:08 pm »
yeah

At 20 amps your cables will be OK but a continuous charge at that level may start to boil off electrolyte so you should check the level of each cell.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43791 on: December 01, 2019, 02:29:01 pm »
At 20 amps your cables will be OK but a continuous charge at that level may start to boil off electrolyte so you should check the level of each cell.

If I'm not mistaken that Toyota Battery is one of the sealed no maintenance ones (My ex always had Toyota's, from the Yaris to the Auris and both used sealed no maintenance Toyota branded batteries). So I don't know how easy that would be.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #43792 on: December 01, 2019, 02:30:06 pm »
In tea-related news, very little hits the hindbrain like freshly baked bread - especially if it is made with carroway seeds, has a melt-in-the-mouth crunchy crust, and is gently steaming ready for the application of lashings of butter.

Just snarfed >200g of the stuff. Diet? ... Mañana.

Shame the fragrance isn't teleported, and even the steam is not very visible in a flat non-moving image.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 02:32:12 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43793 on: December 01, 2019, 02:42:45 pm »
I have limited the HP to ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY........mA.  because that is about all it will do.

Freqq, you need to get a 6216A - that'll do closer to 400 mA!  (In fact, best to collect the whole set.   >:D )

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43794 on: December 01, 2019, 02:42:56 pm »
yeah

Not quite, a constant current charge rate of 0.33 C is about right for the first phase of charging a lead acid battery. Then once the charge current has fallen to below 0.33 C you should switch to constant voltage charging at 2.30 - 2.45 volts/cell. Then, once the charge current falls to 0.03 - 0.05 C then you drop to constant voltage at 2.18 - 2.27 volts/cell for float charging. Precise currents and voltages for the set points vary according to exact cell construction (Gel, flooded, AGM etc.) and temperature (derate by -3.9mV/C relative to a nominal 25C).

Most car batteries are in the 40 - 100 Ah bracket, and that looks like an ~60 Ah battery to me, so 20A is quite acceptable for the fast charge phase.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #43795 on: December 01, 2019, 02:59:43 pm »
More.....I have one of these coming probably next week. A Hakko FM-203 valued at over $570 USD. My Brother is the lead maintenance tech for a device placement company. Their soldering stations tried out these Hakko's for a while but decided to go with Metcal's instead. So the Hakko's became surplus. I'm getting one for the cost of shipping. I thought about bringing it back with me from Colorado but I have only carry on luggage and I doubt the Hakko would have made it through security. Mnem...you can now stop bitching about the cheap POS soldering station I bought recently. :P :P :-DD This Hakko will replace it.

Now that is a right proper jammy git if I have ever seen one.  I never get that lucky. |O
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43796 on: December 01, 2019, 03:29:42 pm »
Ummm.... you do realize that there are LED rings in warm, bright, and daylight white available on fleaBay in pretty much all sizes imaginable for a mere pittance or two, right...?

mnem
*plerp*

*sigh* yes i do know that. i said i was an idjit, didn't i? i bought this one locally after a frustrating morning of working in the dim, cavern-like corner of the basement that is my test bench.  i was desperate. nevertheless i bow my head in shame for not doing proper research, being patient, and buying the correct tool for the job.

>:D

Well, no... my point in THIS post was that rather than destroying the thing, you should turn it into a victory by retrofitting one of those inexpensive LED rings and designing a nice quiet linear supply to power it. :-+

mnem
*tzzzt*

my good man, i didn’t destroy it, i disassembled it. you, of all people, should recognize the difference.  ;D

* worsthorse wanders off to find the coffee.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43797 on: December 01, 2019, 03:58:17 pm »

Freqq, you need to get a 6216A - that'll do closer to 400 mA!  (In fact, best to collect the whole set.   >:D )

-Pat

Or a 6215A  ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43798 on: December 01, 2019, 03:59:22 pm »
yeah

Not quite, a constant current charge rate of 0.33 C is about right for the first phase of charging a lead acid battery. Then once the charge current has fallen to below 0.33 C you should switch to constant voltage charging at 2.30 - 2.45 volts/cell. Then, once the charge current falls to 0.03 - 0.05 C then you drop to constant voltage at 2.18 - 2.27 volts/cell for float charging. Precise currents and voltages for the set points vary according to exact cell construction (Gel, flooded, AGM etc.) and temperature (derate by -3.9mV/C relative to a nominal 25C).

Most car batteries are in the 40 - 100 Ah bracket, and that looks like an ~60 Ah battery to me, so 20A is quite acceptable for the fast charge phase.

Initial charge agreed....but NOT continuous.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43799 on: December 01, 2019, 04:01:16 pm »

If I'm not mistaken that Toyota Battery is one of the sealed no maintenance ones (My ex always had Toyota's, from the Yaris to the Auris and both used sealed no maintenance Toyota branded batteries). So I don't know how easy that would be.

Even most "sealed" lead acid car batteries have flush cell caps under the labels.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf