Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18102982 times)

David D and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43700 on: November 29, 2019, 03:58:22 pm »
Collecting PSU , that`s a nice idea  ^-^

I have only 2 here,

a heathkit for tubes food, and my 20€ "defect for parts" PSU (NGPE , the Oldie, not the ugly LCD Version) what is now allready repaired.
I think here are enogh sine generators now  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:07:13 pm by Martin.M »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43701 on: November 29, 2019, 04:14:05 pm »
   So who is your favourite Dog sitter then?  ;D

That ham is HISTORY!!! :-DD

Did you get in on the "Bulldozer 8 Cores Isn't Really 8 Cores" settlement? I got a postcard forwarded last week re: the FX-8350 I bough from NewEgg back when I was trying to "get by" a little longer on the old beast before my Ryzen 7 build. Need to file by Jan 3 2020 to get your undisclosed pittance; but they're telling me I can "only" claim up to 5 without producing a receipt. ;)

mnem

Huh, what did I miss now? Please expand upon this, as an FX8350 owner I wish to claim my undisclosed pittance!

Also, is this the real reason mnem moved to Canadia..?

Details are here: https://www.amdcpusettlement.com/

That's a DAMN fine reason to move here.... in fact, good enough to add to "The List." :-DD

Then again, the US does have Five Dollar Bill Murray...  >:D

That was one of the least shit Dr Who's that was. I'm not saying best because that might suggest it is in line with the likes of Firefly or The Expanse which would be unfair.

I haven't decided on The Expanse yet... just a few episodes in. But so far, the production levels aren't amazing me (too many GLARING examples of appliances, tools and everyday shit I have in my own home when this is supposed to be 300 years in the future) and the writing is utterly "PrimeTime USA". It's like a pale third-iteration ditto of "Jack Ryan" set in outer space, and I've gotta tell you... I AM FUCKING SICK AND TIRED of space operas where we just project the CURRENT COMPLETELY FUCKED-UP US-centric authoritarianism-addicted world view on a universe we have yet to even dip our pinkie toe in the shallow end of. ::)

IF we survive that long... we will HAVE TO have kicked these sociopathic-motherfuckers-in-charge to the curb PERMANENTLY. |O

I'm going to give it a CHANCE... a fair one. So far, it really isn't wowing me. But then again, to me 24 and Jack Ryan are both pure "ends-justifies-the-means War on Terrorism" bullshit propaganda; really just another form of terrorism in its own right, perpetrated against our own citizens by our own leadership and produced in Hollywoo. :-\

mnem
*back to the workbench*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:32:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43702 on: November 29, 2019, 04:17:49 pm »
I haven't decided on The Expanse yet... just a few episodes in. But so far, the production levels aren't amazing me (too many GLARING examples of appliances, tools and everyday shit I have in my own home when this is supposed to be 300 years in the future) and the writing is utterly "PrimeTime USA". It's like a pale third-iteration ditto of "Jack Ryan" set in outer space, and I've gotta tell you... I AM FUCKING SICK AND TIRED of space operas where we just project the CURRENT COMPLETELY FUCKED-UP US-centric authoritarianism-addicted world view on a universe we have yet to even dip our pinkie toe in the shallow end of. ::)

IF we survive that long... we will HAVE TO have kicked these sociopathic-motherfuckers-in-charge to the curb PERMANENTLY. |O

I'm going to give it a CHANCE... a fair one. So far, it really isn't wowing me. But then again, to me 24 and Jack Ryan are both pure "ends-justifies-the-means War on Terrorism" bullshit propaganda; really just another form of terrorism in its own right, perpetrated against our own citizens by our own leadership and produced in Hollywoo. :-\

Start was a bit shit. Season 2 and 3 it diverts from the foundation of politics but you need that under the rest of the story. Season 4 coming up in December - big change there - new frontier entirely. It has a lot of mileage and a lot of new stuff I haven't seen recycled in sci-fi before.

Honestly though a lot of technology we have is pretty much at the top of the hill now and seems to be declining again. It's not going to get much better than utilitarian at which point it'll stay the same. Favourite thing on that:

Edit: also look at the kitchen aid. Started in around 1919 :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:25:53 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43703 on: November 29, 2019, 04:29:09 pm »
Me too post. Old faithful. Charger of batteries, powerer of radios, abused by terrible loads constructed by an idiot, but flawless:      I need a PL330 to go with it as well. Need something that kicks out 28V @ 3A and doesn't have a lot of RF hash like the meanwell block I'm using. The above PL154 is a member of the "peak" design of these power supplies i.e. it was post-sinclair/brown ones from hell and pre-digital minification fanned white ones.

*snif* :'(

mnem
*pining away for my Lambdas*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43704 on: November 29, 2019, 04:39:50 pm »
You not got bench set up for them yet or disposed of them?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43705 on: November 29, 2019, 04:41:15 pm »
90% of my bench (and the bench itself) are still in storage for the foreseeable future.  :'(

mnem
*wibble*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43706 on: November 29, 2019, 04:43:50 pm »
Ahh :(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43707 on: November 29, 2019, 04:44:15 pm »
Trying to keep up with this thread when you are out of the loop is hopeless.  :o Flying back tomorrow (Saturday) AM.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43708 on: November 29, 2019, 04:48:05 pm »
"Fuck off and die!" old friend. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 04:50:20 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #43709 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:51 pm »
"Fuck off and die!" old friend. ;)

mnem

I love you too.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Doom-the-Squirrel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43710 on: November 29, 2019, 05:42:43 pm »
Here's my gear at work.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #43711 on: November 29, 2019, 05:46:42 pm »

Bleh... I have no connection with California save a few songs and video games... no pittance, undisclosed or otherwise for me  :(
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #43712 on: November 29, 2019, 07:25:45 pm »
If it's any good (don't personally know the brand, or the detailed specs) that's a very fair price for a DC load in that load rating.

RND is a brand started by Reichelt and two other distributors. It's relabeled stuff, one could also find a Korad power supply here. So does someone recognize the model and its original manufacturer? Specs look quite promising, anyway.

Edit: found that other post on the previous page now - this thread is sometimes moving too fast
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:32:15 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43713 on: November 29, 2019, 07:50:34 pm »

Bleh... I have no connection with California save a few songs and video games... no pittance, undisclosed or otherwise for me  :(

Ahh California. State where everything causes cancer including Flukes  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43714 on: November 29, 2019, 07:55:52 pm »

Quote from: AMDcpusettlement.com
You are included if you purchased one or more of the following AMD CPUs either (1) while residing in California or (2) after visiting the AMD.com website (or both): FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, FX-9370, or FX-9590.

Are you SURE you didn't visit the AMD site while shopping that processor PRIOR TO PURCHASE...? I find this VERY hard to believe. *nudge-nudge, wink-wink* ;)

mnem
*repeat offender*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:01:55 pm by mnementh »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 08:01:03 pm by Martin.M »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, Zucca, Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, mansaxel, Kosmic, klab

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43716 on: November 29, 2019, 08:03:12 pm »
 :-+

mnem
*wheels & tyres*

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #43717 on: November 29, 2019, 10:41:11 pm »
Nicely done.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43718 on: November 30, 2019, 12:48:58 am »
Nice hammer-and-dolly work, Martin!   :-+ :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43719 on: November 30, 2019, 12:59:19 am »

...one enigmatic little plastic baggie containing one enigmatic little black box, purchased solely because I have no idea what it is or what it does and it cost a buck. Canadian.  :-DD

mnem
Now how much would you pay...?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 01:02:22 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43720 on: November 30, 2019, 04:36:13 am »
Hmmm... interesting. It's a pretty simple little device; 12V-powered with shielded coax in/out and containing a NE564N 50MHz PLL with support circuitry and a couple 2N3904 transistors with a 10K linear pot presumably to adjust the frequency of the VCO in the NE564N. Design notes indicate it is aimed at FSK modulation/demodulation, but the PCB appears to be from a mass-produced kit of some sort. I started looking into what sorts of HAM applications the device might have (thinking something like that clarifier circuit bd showed video of him tweaking on his Elecraft) when...

I went totally      mode on the shiny Like New In Box N600 WiFi router I got at the same time for $3.50. Canadian. :o

I'll stop back with pics a little later when I get tired of poking around in the router's brains. :P

mnem
*so wishing I had something to look at wiggly lines in a wire right now*

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #43721 on: November 30, 2019, 04:58:33 am »
And I was having such a good night at the bench...

After doing a bunch of tracing signals and staring at schematics, I isolated the crosstalk problem (an attenuated version of the marker output appearing on the trigger output) to the two emitter followers used to drive the marker and trigger outputs. The transistors are mounted side by side near the front panel, and share a dedicated +12VDC line.  It appeared that the "leak" was through the 12VDC.  Tracing a little further back, I found that both transistors are driven from another emitter follower.

I decided to duplicate the circuit on a breadboard, using some 2N2222As (of which I have hundreds), and power the breadboard circuit with a separate 12VDC power supply. If the noise was being passed through the 12VDC, I should get a clean signal on my breadboard. Success! Tapping the signal that drives the marker and trigger output (before the emitter follower that drives both), I got a clean copy of the trigger. Taking the signal after that emitter follower and driving just the buffer amp  on the breadboard also showed a clean signal. I wanted to see I could take power from the 184, albeit at a different spot, and also get a clean signal.

Next I moved the power from the power supply to the 12VDC line in the 184, right at the onboard emitter follower. The noise was back, albeit at lower levels. Then I took 12VDC back at the power supply. The noise was just about gone. Dividing the circuit in half, I decided to try the 12VDC rail at the countdown board.

I turned off the power, checked the schematic to find the right pin (pin A) connected the jumper from the post on the countdown board, and turned the power on.

It was then I discovered that I had connected my breadboard to the 125VDC line (pin H) rather than the 12VDC line (pin A). With the input of that circuit connected to the output of the trigger generation circuit before emitter follower.  :palm:

In addition to blowing out the 2N2222A on the breadboard, I also smoked the onboard emitter follower. It appears the damage goes further back because there's no output on the 0.1us marker now and the lower frequency markers are no longer constant.   |O 

Looking at the schematics, worst case I put 125VDC into one or more chains of transistors back to the 10MHz oscillator.  :-BROKE

Feeling like a total idjit, I unhooked all the test gear, put everything away, and turned off the lights.  :-[   I will figure out what I broke tomorrow.
specialization is for insects.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #43722 on: November 30, 2019, 05:08:22 am »
Ouch!  That hurts.  My fingers are crossed that not too much more got buggered up.  It only takes a moment to hose yourself.  Crap!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43723 on: November 30, 2019, 05:21:51 am »
...Feeling like a total idjit, I unhooked all the test gear, put everything away, and turned off the lights.  :-[   I will figure out what I broke tomorrow.
I think I'm going take this as a warning and do the same. 'night all you freaks.  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 05:23:41 am by mnementh »

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43724 on: November 30, 2019, 06:08:39 am »
If anyone has an idea where one could still get a wall wart with output of +/-15...18V (regulated), please let me know.

I've found this one, sadly, it is discontinued:

https://www.buerklin.com/en/Products/Power-Supplies-%26-Batteries/Power-supply-units/Plug-in-Power-Supplies/Power-supply-unit--15%C2%A0V--15%C2%A0V-15%C2%A0V/p/24K536

Manufacturer: Deutronic

Manufacturer No.: 102208 - DLS1515
As Bürklin is my preferred distributor, I saw that already. But thanks anyway!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf