Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481515 times)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #43650 on: November 28, 2019, 11:39:02 pm »
Update on the laser printer that I got off our Thrift website "Trash Nothing" for free (that's the ultimate thrifting) has now been totally transformed with the aid of a donor printer from eBay and is now working perfectly like a new one, crystal clear and high quality colour prints, is fully functioning as a wireless printer now.

The donor printer came with a full set of toner cartridges for just £23.40 and the original printer with a full set of cartridges plus a brand new sealed set of 4 cartridges and a partially used black along with a new sealed magenta and a spare image drum for the grand total of £0, just the new set of 4 cartridges would have cost £129. Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner.

Now I think I'll refurbish the spare image drum pack with a new drum from China and strip down the defective transfer belt (obsolete but working 2nd hand ones can be got from China) and see if I find the cause of the banding and then I should be well set up with the consumables for this for quite a while yet. :-DD :-DD

Always well worth looking out for these free recycling sites, never know what you're going to find on them. One man's rubbish is another man's treasure. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #43651 on: November 28, 2019, 11:44:23 pm »
You and bean seem to think it's just a matter of "educating" me in the finer points of coffee. I KNOW fresh-roasted & fresh-ground is better, I've done it; spent small fortunes on boutique equipment and supposedly special beans to make "the perfect cup". But the whole "thing" is just too fucking much... too much smoke that never really clears out of the house, too much hassle when you just woke up and are in that "I need a cup of coffee to be able to make the coffee" state, too much coffee grounds, dust, and husks EVERY FUCKING PLACE that you just CANNOT avoid unless you do everything but brew the pot outside. Even THEN, you track the shit into the house on your feet; it's unavoidable. |O

The closest I'm willing to ever get to that again is to grind my beans AT THE STORE. Even THAT has come grudgingly over the last couple years, as a decent cup of coffee from a coffee shop has become as rare as fucking a unicorn.

mnem

There is a Zen thing with grinding and smelling the fresh grinds before pouring water over them for a better brew  ;)

Much as I have a large commercial machine and grinder in the shack as they are currently 'spares'  ;D I was using a good quality hand grinder and small machine in my last house as the kitchen was tiny and the mess from them is zero (unless you are a messy dwagon and drop the container). Doug and Barb produce some of the best http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manual-Coffee-Grinders_c_1.html or this is an excellent cheapy eBay auction: #184055517078 even if it is in Texas.

Full beans will last at peak about 1-4 (6 if you have to) weeks from roast in a dark sealed enviroment. Ground is well off peak after 2-3 days even when ground for brewed coffee. For espresso grind is is about an hour max and is noticeably better straight from the burrs.

Keep an eye out for an old electric burr grinder and drop in in the garage and grind every day or two as a compromise.

Just don't feed it flavoured beans or you will be cleaning it every other week  ::)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:24:50 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43652 on: November 29, 2019, 12:23:28 am »
@Zucca: is it urgent and do you have 115V? I still have the Transistor Devices DLP 50-80-1000 not converted to 230V. But I procured an adaptor for the strange power input.
And of course the EL300N, which I do not want to keep, but you have to hotwire it for dynamic loading somehow.

Not urgent, I am just rushing into the TEA with full throttle... your devices are rather interesting and unique rare animals... but they go in direction and I would like something newer.
I really appreciate your help... If you come in Munich we go drink one together und wir werden auf Deutsch reden.
Well the EL300N would be adequate for a rather small boat. I got it very cheap because the seller thought it is a power supply! :-DD
And he TDI  is one of the most seen which can do all modes CI/CR and 2 levels alternating and I got it for 120.-, which was fortunate, as I discovered that my little Zentro was dead right when I wanted to demonstrate something with it.

But one manufacturer I can endorse unconditionally: I have very good experiences with HOECHERL & HACKL! At work I have one from EA, which is passable.
The powered Zentro loads are also known to be quite good. One of our co-members here posted a thread on a ET Instrumente load (without panel, IIRC), so you could see their quality and performance there. My old Zentro was a compact little thing that powered itself from the load circuit.

And on the topic of Munich, I'll keep that in mind. My last hangout there was the Ododo...around 2005.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:35:33 am by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43653 on: November 29, 2019, 12:42:57 am »
HeghwIj pagh vISov!  :-// "You've got to die of something." (it loses a bit in the translation due to sentence structure and Klingon lack of a concept for the uncertainty of death)

Maybe the Klingons stole that one from German: 'EINEN Tod musst du sterben!' is a well known expression here.

(Watershrew doesn't care)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43654 on: November 29, 2019, 12:59:20 am »
If anyone has an idea where one could still get a wall wart with output of +/-15...18V (regulated), please let me know.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #43655 on: November 29, 2019, 01:47:45 am »
There are four battery packs in the 204B connected as two series sets, the manual doesn't give the operating range for the batteries, it just says to change or re-charge them (dependant on option) when the oscillator output falls below 5Vrms open circuit or 2.5Vrms into 600ohm load.

The AC power supply option provides nominal +13V & -13V supplies using Zeners (these can vary between 12V-13.5V). Battery packs are 4x 6.75V for Hg & 4x 6.25V for Ni-Cd.

David

Tough call. Martin COULD use two of those 3S packs; should work quite nicely to get that +12V/-12V. They will self-discharge faster than from the load given what you describe. Or he could just use 2 18650s and cheapo boost converters. :-//

mnem
*currently being very annoyed by his entertainment technology*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43656 on: November 29, 2019, 02:03:15 am »
   Nothing TE related other than disposals. However managed to finally order a cooler that fits in the PC case I have (don't ask  :-DD). Now it runs flat out all 6 cores at 75oC with the heating on inside and I can't actually hear it at all. Now for more RAM going in!
Thats not the Be Quiet cooler I thought you was getting, IIRC, that one was far bigger or have I got that wrong?

Just checked temps on my FX8350, its running all 8 cores according to my software it shows min 31C and max 34C and I'm very happy with that result. The highest I think I've seen was around 50C when the ambient was 32C, water cooling FTW.

Did you get in on the "Bulldozer 8 Cores Isn't Really 8 Cores" settlement? I got a postcard forwarded last week re: the FX-8350 I bough from NewEgg back when I was trying to "get by" a little longer on the old beast before my Ryzen 7 build. Need to file by Jan 3 2020 to get your undisclosed pittance; but they're telling me I can "only" claim up to 5 without producing a receipt. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:09:33 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43657 on: November 29, 2019, 02:09:16 am »
If anyone has an idea where one could still get a wall wart with output of +/-15...18V (regulated), please let me know.
HP used wall wart and bump-in-a-wire versions of an SMPS on oodles of printers from 2000-2010 or so that produced +5V @damifino mA and +32V @400-600mA. Could you drop a resistor bridge across that 32V to give yourself a passable artificial GND...?

mnem
*back into my cave*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43658 on: November 29, 2019, 02:27:37 am »
You and bean seem to think it's just a matter of "educating" me in the finer points of coffee. I KNOW fresh-roasted & fresh-ground is better, I've done it; spent small fortunes on boutique equipment and supposedly special beans to make "the perfect cup". But the whole "thing" is just too fucking much... too much smoke that never really clears out of the house, too much hassle when you just woke up and are in that "I need a cup of coffee to be able to make the coffee" state, too much coffee grounds, dust, and husks EVERY FUCKING PLACE that you just CANNOT avoid unless you do everything but brew the pot outside. Even THEN, you track the shit into the house on your feet; it's unavoidable. |O

The closest I'm willing to ever get to that again is to grind my beans AT THE STORE. Even THAT has come grudgingly over the last couple years, as a decent cup of coffee from a coffee shop has become as rare as fucking a unicorn.

mnem

There is a Zen thing with grinding and smelling the fresh grinds before pouring water over them for a better brew  ;)

Much as I have a large commercial machine and grinder in the shack as they are currently 'spares'  ;D I was using a good quality hand grinder and small machine in my last house as the kitchen was tiny and the mess from them is zero (unless you are a messy dwagon and drop the container). Doug and Barb produce some of the best http://www.oehandgrinders.com/OE-Manual-Coffee-Grinders_c_1.html or this is an excellent cheapy eBay auction: #184055517078 even if it is in Texas.

Full beans will last at peak about 1-4 (6 if you have to) weeks from roast in a dark sealed enviroment. Ground is well off peak after 2-3 days even when ground for brewed coffee. For espresso grind is is about an hour max and is noticeably better straight from the burrs.

Keep an eye out for an old electric burr grinder and drop in in the garage and grind every day or two as a compromise.

Just don't feed it flavoured beans or you will be cleaning it every other week  ::)

I AM just that messy. Impatient too when I NEED my coffee; I'm one of those sacrilegious bastards who assembles a pot the night before and just turns it on in the morning.  >:D

Okay.... you and Cerebus have served your due diligence, done your requisite missionary work for the coffee gods. You'll just have to live with this heathen being "a little less heathen" thanks to your ministrations; I have no interest in going back to the "daily grind" lifestyle.  :P

If I could find flavored beans in the store I WOULD take THAT one step closer... as long as I can still grind it somewhere else besides my own home.  ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 02:30:52 am by mnementh »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #43659 on: November 29, 2019, 03:36:02 am »
So who is your favourite Dog sitter then?  ;D

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43660 on: November 29, 2019, 03:59:49 am »
HP used wall wart and bump-in-a-wire versions of an SMPS on oodles of printers from 2000-2010 or so that produced +5V @damifino mA and +32V @400-600mA. Could you drop a resistor bridge across that 32V to give yourself a passable artificial GND...?

mnem
*back into my cave*
Not resistor bridge, would do it with a power OPA. But basic supply has to be linear.
Had not looked into that as I had hope to find a good fit.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43661 on: November 29, 2019, 05:45:08 am »
Regulated linear wall-warts were pretty rare even back in the day; sounds like most likely something you'll have to scratch-build.  Might be easier anyways; a couple 18V XFMRs and a couple cheap buck converters in a small plastic project box; should be a quick lifehack.  ;)

mnem
*toddles off to ded* :=\

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #43662 on: November 29, 2019, 05:51:40 am »
My HP-45 has one to charge the battery if installed or run the calculator if not. It's probably heavier than the calculator (at least the calculator with no battery installed).  :-DD

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #43663 on: November 29, 2019, 06:11:23 am »
Did you get in on the "Bulldozer 8 Cores Isn't Really 8 Cores" settlement? I got a postcard forwarded last week re: the FX-8350 I bough from NewEgg back when I was trying to "get by" a little longer on the old beast before my Ryzen 7 build. Need to file by Jan 3 2020 to get your undisclosed pittance; but they're telling me I can "only" claim up to 5 without producing a receipt. ;)

mnem

Huh, what did I miss now? Please expand upon this, as an FX8350 owner I wish to claim my undisclosed pittance!

Also, is this the real reason mnem moved to Canadia..?
https://dangerousminds.net/comments/bank_of_canada_urges_star_trek_fans_to_stop_spocking_their_fivers?fbclid=IwAR0HyUywSzVrtGZitnjpsuBKgRSk6nmsL1YtoYm4v-HqTQT_nO82QQy0368
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43664 on: November 29, 2019, 07:45:41 am »
So who is your favourite Dog sitter then?  ;D

Turn away for half a second and that bacon is history!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43665 on: November 29, 2019, 08:01:26 am »
Windows 10 PC. Not used it on a Mac. You’ll have to play “find the device” or “fight the kernel” on macOS. As much as I hate to say it I’m not owning another Mac now.
What the fuck!!!....... Pinch me somebody.... I must be dreaming this ....Windows 10 PC actually beat a macOS and now more will you own a Mac? Holy Arse crackers I must be dreaming this. Those are words that I honestly never thought I'd hear from the great Apple defender  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

I’ll still die before I give up my iPhone  :-DD. Key problems here:

1. macOS kernel has signed drivers and part of the signing is the USB vendor IDs etc. This causes problems when you have trivially customised USB serial controllers and the vendor doesn’t offer drivers that are signed. On windows you can reboot into insecure mode, load them, then reboot again.
2. There is no device discovery API in macOS. It sort of resembles 1980s Unix /dev which means you have to play find the device even if it does work.
3. Seriously it’s 2019 and the keyboards don’t work properly any more and there are important keys missing like scroll lock, print screen, break. This makes working in VMs a pain in the arse.
4. It’s difficult to use with the keyboard. You have to remember 1000 street fighter combos for each application.

Thus I am done. I’m using windows 10 with a shed load of CentOS and kali VMs. I don’t really “use windows” but it’s a pretty trouble free hypervisor that Besieged works on (get this game if you haven’t already!)

Nothing TE related other than disposals. However managed to finally order a cooler that fits in the PC case I have (don't ask  :-DD). Now it runs flat out all 6 cores at 75oC with the heating on inside and I can't actually hear it at all.

Now for more RAM going in!
Thats not the Be Quiet cooler I thought you was getting, IIRC, that one was far bigger or have I got that wrong?

Just checked temps on my FX8350, its running all 8 cores according to my software it shows min 31C and max 34C and I'm very happy with that result. The highest I think I've seen was around 50C when the ambient was 32C, water cooling FTW.

That’s pretty good. If I was after cold I would go water cooling but I’m after quiet and after hearing two of the quietest pumps on the market, nope. I maintain that I can sit here in complete silence and the only sound is the smashing of cherry mx keys!

When my hearing gives out eventually I’ll get something a little more grunty. I was born with a rare thing: exceptionally good hearing. I can here a gnat fart still. This is also a curse because things people find not that loud are ear piercing for me.  :--

This is incidentally why test gear with fans really causes me problems. Even a hummy transformer is problematic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #43666 on: November 29, 2019, 08:13:13 am »
Key problems here:

1. macOS kernel has signed drivers and part of the signing is the USB vendor IDs etc. This causes problems when you have trivially customised USB serial controllers and the vendor doesn’t offer drivers that are signed. On windows you can reboot into insecure mode, load them, then reboot again.
2. There is no device discovery API in macOS. It sort of resembles 1980s Unix /dev which means you have to play find the device even if it does work.
3. Seriously it’s 2019 and the keyboards don’t work properly any more and there are important keys missing like scroll lock, print screen, break. This makes working in VMs a pain in the arse.
4. It’s difficult to use with the keyboard. You have to remember 1000 street fighter combos for each application.

1: This can be turned off.

2: Given how device discovery has malperformed since "plug'n pray" was the nom du jour for Windows 95, I'll take clunky /dev entries any day.

3: Sun Type 5, the ultimate Space cadet keyboard, has all the keys you want and all the keys you need, and then some.  Adapter here: https://github.com/xelalexv/suniversal

4: I find OSX keyboard combinations easier than most others.  YMMV, of course.

All of the above considered, the keyboard on this too new MBP15" is horrible, about the worst I've ever experienced from a reputable portable computer vendor (and there are like three, IBLENOVO, Apple and perhaps Panasonic, the rest are crap). I've had it for just over a year, and several keys don't debounce correctly, there is no escape key, and so forth. Utter shite.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43667 on: November 29, 2019, 08:41:52 am »
I have very good experiences with HOECHERL & HACKL!

Neomys you can always surprise me.

https://www.hoecherl-hackl.de/produktangebot/zs506-4-2/

and I love when companies have this page:

https://www.hoecherl-hackl.de/produkte/gebrauchte-geraete/

do you remember the HAMEG one... now gone?  :(

anyway it is nice but I still think Aim TT is one step ahead... if I would need an AC load the i hoecherl-hackl look damm good.

Thanks!

PS: Not during Oktoberfest please.  :horse:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43668 on: November 29, 2019, 08:45:54 am »
Key problems here:

1: This can be turned off.

2: Given how device discovery has malperformed since "plug'n pray" was the nom du jour for Windows 95, I'll take clunky /dev entries any day.

3: Sun Type 5, the ultimate Space cadet keyboard, has all the keys you want and all the keys you need, and then some.  Adapter here: https://github.com/xelalexv/suniversal

4: I find OSX keyboard combinations easier than most others.  YMMV, of course.

All of the above considered, the keyboard on this too new MBP15" is horrible, about the worst I've ever experienced from a reputable portable computer vendor (and there are like three, IBLENOVO, Apple and perhaps Panasonic, the rest are crap). I've had it for just over a year, and several keys don't debounce correctly, there is no escape key, and so forth. Utter shite.

1. Only temporarily an you have to leave it in that mode. On Windows you can load an unsigned driver permanently.
2. I haven't had an issue since Windows 7. Most drivers auto-install.
3. Ugh no. Those are not very good keyboards. Horrible Fujitsu soggy rubber domes.
4. Do you have 34 fingers?  :-DD

Lets not talk about Lenovo keyboards. My T470 left me with this recently. The same fucking issue that appeared with my MacBook Air - double and missing keypresses. I'm done with laptops!!!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43669 on: November 29, 2019, 08:49:16 am »
the ultimate Space cadet keyboard

Here you can find the keyboard ninjas black belt+ level

https://geekhack.org/index.php

I go there every month and what I see is amazing.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43670 on: November 29, 2019, 08:51:35 am »
I got one of these, equipped with Cherry MX, plus some rubber damping rings. Best keyboard I've had for years. Very happy:

Edit: ooh 12000 posts. I need to get out more  :-DD

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43671 on: November 29, 2019, 09:54:19 am »
FUUU I got another TTi PSU:

880880-0

He accepted my 200€ offer...

Can someone please stop me?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:57:59 am by zucca »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43672 on: November 29, 2019, 10:00:30 am »
Ooh that's a nice little unit that. Review please. AFAIK they have a fan in them now?

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #43673 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:43 am »
Thanks BD!

http://resources.aimtti.com/datasheets/AIM-PL+PL-P_series_DC_power_supplies_data_sheet-Iss4.pdf

The New PL series achieves an exceptional power density for a linear regulated power supply by offering up to 90 watts from a ¼ rack 3U
sized casing.
This gives it an unusually small bench footprint taking up less space on a crowded bench.
For rack-mount application, up to four units can be mounted into a single slot.
Despite its small size and linear regulation, the New PL series generates
relatively little heat through the use of an advanced phase controlled preregulator.
This gives it significantly higher energy efficiency than conventional linear regulated designs, particularly when supplying lower voltages.
The internal heat-sinks use fan-assisted convection cooling in order to remove the heat with minimal fan noise.

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43674 on: November 29, 2019, 10:51:29 am »
FUUU I got another TTi PSU:

(Attachment Link)

He accepted my 200€ offer...

Can someone please stop me?

I've been for years to buy one TTI, for years... And you have how many?  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf