Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844027 times)

factory, EggertEnjoyer123 and 122 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2017, 11:16:35 am »
Very nice  :-+

So I've now got 5 power supplies. Better get rid of at least one :(

Why on earth would you get rid of one? :-// The correct number of power supplies to own is N+1 where N is the number you currently have! :-DD

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, JenniferG

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:00 am »
I like your thinking :)

I'm getting rid of the Heathkit supply though. I don't like that one. The two PL310's are staying at least.

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
I should add that you can substitute "Power Supplies" with any other piece of test equipment. The statement is equally correct if it were for example:

The correct number of Spectrum Analysers to own is N+1 where N is the number of Spectrum Analysers you currently have.

See, a very universal rule for Test Equipment Acquisition (TEA) guidance  :-+

Best Regards,

Rachael
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2017, 11:39:26 am »
I like your thinking :)

I'm getting rid of the Heathkit supply though. I don't like that one. The two PL310's are staying at least.

Ah that's ok if there is a piece of TE that you don't like and it's sold to make way for additional better gear! ;D

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #429 on: February 27, 2017, 01:15:10 pm »
I should add that you can substitute "Power Supplies" with any other piece of test equipment. The statement is equally correct if it were for example:

The correct number of Spectrum Analysers to own is N+1 where N is the number of Spectrum Analysers you currently have.

Best Regards,

Rachael

No no my 50kg boatanchor of a SA that is a HP 8566B is taking up enough space already.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #430 on: February 27, 2017, 01:21:30 pm »
I decided to build my own SA that is small and light weight after observing people lugging one around a number of years ago. I got as far as the VFO and the first mixer and it has stalled a bit because I needed an equipment refresh as a I had a pile of crap. That was about three years ago. Oops. Need to restart build projects again.

Got another Fluke with a bust display at lunch. That's three this year already :)

I will execute a DT830 as a sacrifice to the test gear gods :)

The following users thanked this post: JenniferG

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #431 on: February 27, 2017, 01:34:56 pm »
Correct.....but only if the model # reads like SSA3***X.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #432 on: February 27, 2017, 04:52:49 pm »

Best Regards,

Rachael

No no my 50kg boatanchor of a SA that is a HP 8566B is taking up enough space already.

No no no.... The problem here isn't that your SA is taking up enough space already, it's that you don't have enough space and you need a bigger lab! ;D

Offline Carl_Smith

• Frequent Contributor
    • MegaMicroWatt - Carl Smith's Blog
« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2017, 05:14:08 pm »
Dammit.  You people just cost me $119.

I am sort of a drive by participant on the EEVBlog forums.  I don't have time to be here on a regular basis, but once in a while I'll pop in and look for some interesting subjects.  I find a thread or two and read and post a few messages until the tread dies out and then I'll disappear for a few weeks. 

So what do I find this time?  Test equipment from ITT liquidation?  $500 meters for $99?

So I just bought a GW INSTEK GDM-8251A multimeter for $99 plus $20 shipping.  And I'm looking at the Instek power supplies and a Rigol Arbitrary Waveform Generator.   I do have an old Topward analog bench power supply.  It's voltage knob should be labeled "very coarse adjustment."  If you need 5.00V, good luck.  With much fiddling of the knob you might be able to hit 4.98 or 5.05 or something close, but not right on.  So it would be nice to have a digital power supply.   Back to eBay...

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #434 on: February 27, 2017, 05:31:25 pm »

That's what we like to hear!! :-DD

I am sort of a drive by participant on the EEVBlog forums.  I don't have time to be here on a regular basis, but once in a while I'll pop in and look for some interesting subjects.  I find a thread or two and read and post a few messages until the tread dies out and then I'll disappear for a few weeks.

I used to be the same, then I discovered TEA and I am now a fully fledged addict! :palm:

So what do I find this time?  Test equipment from ITT liquidation?  $500 meters for $99?

So I just bought a GW INSTEK GDM-8251A multimeter for $99 plus $20 shipping.  And I'm looking at the Instek power supplies and a Rigol Arbitrary Waveform Generator.   I do have an old Topward analog bench power supply.  It's voltage knob should be labeled "very coarse adjustment."  If you need 5.00V, good luck.  With much fiddling of the knob you might be able to hit 4.98 or 5.05 or something close, but not right on.  So it would be nice to have a digital power supply.   Back to eBay...

Yeah sometimes a bargain is just too good and you have to go for it.... I've spent quite a bit on evilBay recently.... And I keep eyeing up lots of other things.... Hence I am here all the time....  ;D

Best Regards,

Rachael

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #435 on: February 27, 2017, 05:33:30 pm »

:popcorn:

Welcome to our TEA World - and the GDM-8251A club of which I'm a member. If you're looking at the Instek power supplies + Rigol Arbitrary Waveform Generators too it's over - just fork over the cash and get it over with.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #436 on: February 27, 2017, 07:06:30 pm »

That's what we like to hear!! :-DD

I used to be the same, then I discovered TEA and I am now a fully fledged addict! :palm:

Yeah sometimes a bargain is just too good and you have to go for it.... I've spent quite a bit on evilBay recently.... And I keep eyeing up lots of other things.... Hence I am here all the time....  ;D

Best Regards,

Rachael

Exactly!  Come on in - the water's fine!   ;D  Embrace the burn coming from your credit card - learn to love it!

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2017, 07:41:23 pm »
Gah, these GDM-8251A are really too much. I'm still resisting, though. Wish me luck. May not last much longer. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2017, 07:52:03 pm »
Gah, these GDM-8251A are really too much. I'm still resisting, though. Wish me luck. May not last much longer. :-DD

Oh - isn't it pretty! You know it would love a place on your bench. Just keep looking at the picture ...

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2017, 08:05:21 pm »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #440 on: February 27, 2017, 09:01:10 pm »
 Dang it, now I marked a couple that look good on eBay. Just what I need, more multimeters! I guess my Fluke benchtops need some company. Only fair, right? After I all did buy an EEVBlog BM235 to keep my Fluke handhelds company.

Somehow I think this thread is ENCOURAGING addition rather than overcoming it...

(I won't tell)

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #441 on: February 27, 2017, 09:05:12 pm »

Somehow I think this thread is ENCOURAGING addition rather than overcoming it...

(I won't tell)

I think that about sums it up! :-DD

Sorry, couldn't resist :palm:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #442 on: February 27, 2017, 09:13:57 pm »
Dang it, now I marked a couple that look good on eBay. Just what I need, more multimeters! I guess my Fluke benchtops need some company. Only fair, right? After I all did buy an EEVBlog BM235 to keep my Fluke handhelds company.

(I won't tell)

You're only JUST NOW figuring that out?!?   :P  This ain't a 12 step program!  (Unless of course each of the first 11 steps involves buying additional gear, and the twelfth is to go back to #1 and repeat the process...)   >:D >:D

-Pat

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #443 on: February 27, 2017, 09:18:31 pm »
 I blame the cheap lappy keyboard.

Now the real question is, do I get a second E3610A power supply so I can do dual rails, or get a 2 (or 3) channel version.

Next problem, I have this nifty remote-switched PDU that all my bench gear plugs in to, including the under-shelf lighting, which makes it convenient to turn the whole works on and off (switch is under the left front corner of the bench next to my wrist strap plug ports) and the base is hidden behind. Much more gear and I will be out of plugs for it all. I can always add a second, but then it's two switches to power the bench. Daisy chaining power strips is usually discouraged.

In my defense, I will say that at least I am addicted to functional stuff  :-DD  None of the equipment I have is in need of repair, it all works (even my 8012A). Though the LCD is going bonkers again on my 8060A, it was fine after I cleaned off the zebra stripe and contact points but I guess I need to do it again. Of course, that could be because compared so some people, I don't have that much, if maintaining a tea analogy I guess I am merely a demitasse. My addiction is maybe more than just test equipment, it's more like tools in general. And I use them all (except that airbrush and compressor I bought, but I just haven't had time to play with it yet).

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #444 on: February 27, 2017, 10:03:06 pm »
I don't worry too much about daisy chaining power strips, as (at least in my case) the load is relatively low.  They wind up full, but that's because I have so many things plugged into them.  Its rare for more than a few pieces of gear to be on at any given time, but it's nice to have all of them connected to the mains so as not to have to contort and swap plugs (after finding the appropriate one in the rat's nest) every time I want to fire something different up.  There are presently (2) 12 receptacle outlet strips affixed to the bottom of the bench shelf, and a 6 place one tiewrapped to one of the uprights.  Another 12 place one is on my wire rack.

The two 12 place bench strips are plugged into a single duplex wall receptacle on a 20A circuit, and the six outlet one is plugged into the 'back' twelve.  The twelve receptacle strip on the wire rack is plugged into the 'front' twelve outlet strip on the bench.

I should have ignored my now ex and put in even MORE circuits and receptacles during the remodel!!

-Pat

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter
« Reply #445 on: February 27, 2017, 10:14:40 pm »
My addiction is maybe more than just test equipment, it's more like tools in general. And I use them all (except that airbrush and compressor I bought, but I just haven't had time to play with it yet).

Mine too, I also have a thing for production gear. It's probably a good job that SMT pick and place gear is stupidly expensive or it might have a full garage with a complete SMT assembly line by now! :D

I need to make some more TEA's now to distract myself from my thoughts of pick and place machines and reflow ovens....

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #446 on: February 27, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »
I think I need another power supply and another meter, what do you guys think?  (LOL).
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #447 on: February 27, 2017, 10:35:39 pm »
I decided to build my own SA that is small and light weight after observing people lugging one around a number of years ago. I got as far as the VFO and the first mixer and it has stalled a bit because I needed an equipment refresh as a I had a pile of crap. That was about three years ago. Oops. Need to restart build projects again.

Got another Fluke with a bust display at lunch. That's three this year already :)

I will execute a DT830 as a sacrifice to the test gear gods :)

This will be my first real meter.. the Fluke 8050A.. can't wait.. should be on my doorstep any day now.  Got for $30 shipped!  I need another meter though!  Haven't decided yet.  But probably good to have 3 or 4 more right? hah.

EDIT: oh wait that is an 8010A? look slike my 8050A i am getting, from the photo!  Okay looked it up.. didn't even know the 8010a existed!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:37:10 pm by JenniferG »
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #448 on: February 27, 2017, 10:51:21 pm »
I think I need another power supply and another meter, what do you guys think?  (LOL).

Oh I dunno - let me think about it for, about 3 mS ...

YESSSSSSSSS !!!

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #449 on: February 27, 2017, 11:01:35 pm »
My addiction is maybe more than just test equipment, it's more like tools in general. And I use them all (except that airbrush and compressor I bought, but I just haven't had time to play with it yet).

Mine too, I also have a thing for production gear. It's probably a good job that SMT pick and place gear is stupidly expensive or it might have a full garage with a complete SMT assembly line by now! :D

I need to make some more TEA's now to distract myself from my thoughts of pick and place machines and reflow ovens....

Same here.  Tools in General.

I have akways wanted a decent electronics bench, and now I'm putting it together.   But there are far more toools of other types at my disposal. 
Bridgeport milling machine Special   11' x 54' table
12 x 36 Lathe
Table saw, Radial arm saw, Planer, Sander, etc...
Every kind of automotive and wrenching tool you can gather over 40 years. (4 roll away tool chests)
Model airplane building tools galore
Mirror grinding equipment
220 amp Lincoln mig welder, Everlast powerTig 250Ex, general Oxy acet setup, and a full kit of Meco midget torch and tips for fine work.
Gunsmithing tools from 20 years as a general gunsmith.  (more roll aways..)
And the list goes on...   

and here I"m about to add a Amscope SM-4T microscope!

At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf