Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17686439 times)

Robert763, onsokumaru and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #40725 on: October 06, 2019, 12:45:46 pm »
Bean has done it to me again.

After pointing me to this from a local seller (about 30 minute drive): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264481399373 I put in an offer of $100 which was accepted.  Hopefully picking it up in about 12 hours.

Now I have to buy filament.  More expenditure.  *sigh*

Another rabbit hole.
(so why am I just a little bit pumped up?)

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40726 on: October 06, 2019, 12:52:10 pm »
@bd139 You say you want a decent keyboard, let me suggest one that I think is well worthy of consideration, I have tried and had many keyboards over the years, membrane and mechanical types in all price ranges from almost give away free types upto ones costing well over £100 and I have to say that I think I have come across a real gem of a keyboard which I have been using for about a year now and it is a real joy to use. Its a mechanical gaming keyboard with many features and well constructed with key roll over and lighting effects etc and can be sourced from aliexpress and many other places

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004368373.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.3.df5c6d78iMlHWm&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.128609.0&scm_id=1007.13339.128609.0&scm-url=1007.13339.128609.0&pvid=594ba315-9c01-41c4-b7a3-68983631a4b4 

I also agree with the 32GB RAM, it does make a lot difference to certain programs but in normal day to day usage then 16GB is plenty. One of the first things I do with all of my PC's is max out the RAM and when using AutoCAD the 32GB I have is certainly noticeable  :-+   

EDIT:
On the topic of air/water cooling, I've used both and I have to say that it is now my preference to go with water cooling as I have discovered, yes it is more expensive than the supplied stock air cooler but is often not that much more expensive then some of the better after market air coolers but are far quieter and certain achieve a greater cooling effect, often get typically temps at least 15 to 20C lower from water cooling which if your into over clocking provides a greater margin for overclocking and retain stability. The first water cooler I installed was 11 years ago and that particular PC one of my sons now has and the water cooler is providing good effective cooling and has never leaked.

That's 1 nice looking keyboard!  :-+
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #40727 on: October 06, 2019, 12:52:59 pm »
This! This is a really ugly bodge! Really, who is doing this?
Cutting the wire like that of a valuable and high precision resistor?  :palm:  :rant:

BD139 have found the right explaination for people who do that..

"a complete fucking muppet"

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #40728 on: October 06, 2019, 12:55:56 pm »

After pointing me to this from a local seller (about 30 minute drive): https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/264481399373 I put in an offer of $100 which was accepted.  Hopefully picking it up in about 12 hours.

Another rabbit hole.

Look on the bright side you will be able to print covers for the rabbit holes if needed but do you really 'want to' do that >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40729 on: October 06, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »

Another rabbit hole.
Have you no backbone then? I read his postings as well and he has yet do it to me  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #40730 on: October 06, 2019, 01:12:50 pm »
Look on the bright side you will be able to print covers for the rabbit holes if needed but do you really 'want to' do that >:D

Our work is progressing well, but there remains much more to do.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #40731 on: October 06, 2019, 01:16:44 pm »
Have you no backbone then? I read his postings as well and he has yet do it to me  >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
His posting isn't what catches me ... it's the PM's

Our work is progressing well, but there remains much more to do.  :-DD
There are no words for you.

Just this: 

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #40732 on: October 06, 2019, 01:22:37 pm »
This unit is only meant to be an introduction to the 3DP world.  I have no doubt better machines will be materialising further down the track.

It's started already

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40733 on: October 06, 2019, 01:26:37 pm »
@bd139 You say you want a decent keyboard, let me suggest one that I think is well worthy of consideration, I have tried and had many keyboards over the years, membrane and mechanical types in all price ranges from almost give away free types upto ones costing well over £100 and I have to say that I think I have come across a real gem of a keyboard which I have been using for about a year now and it is a real joy to use. Its a mechanical gaming keyboard with many features and well constructed with key roll over and lighting effects etc and can be sourced from aliexpress and many other places

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004368373.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000060.3.df5c6d78iMlHWm&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.128609.0&scm_id=1007.13339.128609.0&scm-url=1007.13339.128609.0&pvid=594ba315-9c01-41c4-b7a3-68983631a4b4 

I also agree with the 32GB RAM, it does make a lot difference to certain programs but in normal day to day usage then 16GB is plenty. One of the first things I do with all of my PC's is max out the RAM and when using AutoCAD the 32GB I have is certainly noticeable  :-+   

That looks pretty reasonable for the price. I am however a complete keyboard snob so it's a custom one for me. Going to for a custom WASD one. Have designed it already. I am mulling over getting a full sized one with numeric pad or not. It's much nicer for entering numbers in to things, which is something I do quite a lot.

Note: not a lightshow keyboard  :-DD

EDIT:
On the topic of air/water cooling, I've used both and I have to say that it is now my preference to go with water cooling as I have discovered, yes it is more expensive than the supplied stock air cooler but is often not that much more expensive then some of the better after market air coolers but are far quieter and certain achieve a greater cooling effect, often get typically temps at least 15 to 20C lower from water cooling which if your into over clocking provides a greater margin for overclocking and retain stability. The first water cooler I installed was 11 years ago and that particular PC one of my sons now has and the water cooler is providing good effective cooling and has never leaked.

If you're going to overclock it then that makes sense. It can shift a lot more watts away. However I'm not doing that so bugger it :)

Anyway today is 3d print finishing day. Went to Hobbycraft and bought some fine Tamiya fine primer, masking tape and some acrylic paints. Now going to dig in the cupboard for the air brush. It's about 40 years old and knackered no doubt by now. Fingers crossed. Last time I used it, it was for doing lexan bodies on RC cars.

This 3d printing business is getting expensive!  :-DD

This unit is only meant to be an introduction to the 3DP world.  I have no doubt better machines will be materialising further down the track.

It's started already

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #40734 on: October 06, 2019, 01:32:24 pm »
I did head the PM 'dipping a toe in the water' I didn't make you want to go cliff diving

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #40735 on: October 06, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
Yeah ..... You knew what you were doing.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #40736 on: October 06, 2019, 01:35:15 pm »
(edit: I can't write English without looking at it after it's posted. Long closed feedback loop)

Neither can many English people, whether or not they realise it and whether or not they have any feedback loop :( The worst choose to open the feedback loop.

I’m a bit of a word nerd... I’ll often find myself editing several times after the fact to correct grammar & word-flow, improve clarity or occasionally to reduce aggro tone. ;)

Many times I’ve been caught up in here, people responding while I’m self-correcting... and all my horrible unedited mental fulminate is captured; trapped in the amber of forum quotation & laid bare for all to see.

Meh. :-//

mnem
I say that now... but watch me furiously scrambling to fix some glaring grammar error when I stumble across a 6-month-old post, and the mental sigh of relief if it appears nobody actually quoted it... :palm:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40737 on: October 06, 2019, 01:39:41 pm »
Backside, wired for 115V AC. And this nightmare of an AC mains connector will be replaced.  :o

The Fluke 845 is similar, I'm using an adapter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-C14-to-Nema-5-15R-PDU-USP-Power-Adapter-IEC-Male-to-US-Female-Adapter-Plug/222419864611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Since they all drifted badly, I'm also in the process of replacing all the carbon resistors by metal films :scared:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40738 on: October 06, 2019, 01:43:49 pm »

That's 1 nice looking keyboard!  :-+
Yep it sure is, I love it and it would do well on bd's small bench and the fact that keys are lit would be handy as his bench is quite dark so he says  >:D

I actually got my keyboard from the WISH site and I think it was a bit cheaper and TBH I was not expecting much from it because of its price but it has blown me away. It is also sold under the brand name of Teamwolf with a matching mouse, here is a quick review of it I found on line.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #40739 on: October 06, 2019, 01:44:55 pm »
I’m a bit of a word nerd... I’ll often find myself editing several times after the fact to correct grammar & word-flow, improve clarity or occasionally to reduce aggro tone. ;)

Many times I’ve been caught up in here, people responding while I’m self-correcting... and all my horrible unedited mental fulminate is captured; trapped in the amber of forum quotation & laid bare for all to see.

mnem
I say that now... but watch me furiously scrambling to fix some glaring grammar error when I stumble across a 6-month-old post, and the mental sigh of relief if it appears nobody actually quoted it... :palm:

So, you want us to quote you every time you are writing here something for entertaining documentation reasons?
 :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40740 on: October 06, 2019, 01:45:02 pm »
Mine is still a few down the list to get to. Getting one with a working photo chopper seems to be part of the luck of the draw. The paint and main case on mine is fairly rough but the rest of it is not to bad.

On the 845 (also has neon based chopper), some peoples replaced the neon by led. Also simply replacing the neon apparently works fine (see the Fluke 845 thread).

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40741 on: October 06, 2019, 01:50:42 pm »
But hey... feel free to stick with whiny dinosaur coolers. Whatever blows your kilt up. ;)

The rest of us will enjoy our nice cool & happy Ryzens that scream silently.  ;D

mnem
*~tzzzzt~*

I have not seen any figures to back up reduced noise claims with even say the current gen stock Ryzen coolers. It may have held some weight when Intel was packaging shit with theirs but a pump and generally 2-3 fans attached to the case and associated resonance I doubt noise reduction is a positive. If noise is a claimed advantage then spend similar $ on an aftermarket air cooler will see it lost if not a negative to water cooling of both main types over air.

Examples of Intel shit air coolers using the @med example ;)

I wanna go into a whole long diatribe here... but I’ve already done this, and posted a detailed teardown (BECAUSE I was so impressed); y’all are my friends so I’m going to just say this:

I’ve tried them side by side. There simply is no comparison; both in the quality and volume of noise, as well as the cooling provided even by my cheapie AIO. The AIO is the clear winner, hands-down, on both fronts.

A lovely side-effect; due to my top-rad layout, my high-wattage GPU ALSO runs cooler, and the duty-cycle of its fans under load is noticeably shorter because it isn’t contending with the heat from the CPU.

If the price of migrating to this technology is having to buy a new AIO every couple years, I am totes down widdat. A FUCKING BARGAIN.

Cheers,

mnem
 8)
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40742 on: October 06, 2019, 01:52:59 pm »

mnem

So, you want us to quote you every time you are writing here something for entertaining documentation reasons?
 :D

OMFG NO-O-O-O!!! Mercy, PLEASE!!! :scared:

mnem
 :palm:

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #40743 on: October 06, 2019, 01:55:07 pm »
Quoted to preserve any grammatical errors (or any at all).  :-DD

I wanna go into a whole long diatribe here... but I’ve already done this, and posted a detailed teardown (BECAUSE I was so impressed); y’all are my friends so I’m going to just say this:

I’ve tried them side by side. There simply is no comparison; both in the quality and volume of noise, as well as the cooling provided even by my cheapie AIO. The AIO is the clear winner, hands-down, on both fronts.

A lovely side-effect; due to my top-rad layout, my high-wattage GPU ALSO runs cooler, and the duty-cycle of its fans under load is noticeably shorter because it isn’t contending with the heat from the CPU.

If the price of migrating to this technology is having to buy a new AIO every couple years, I am totes down widdat. A FUCKING BARGAIN.

Cheers,

mnem
 8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40744 on: October 06, 2019, 02:01:37 pm »
@bd139, the light show can be turned off FN+1 then you have your layout plus the number pad, which for me is a real must have. The only thing I'd change if I was able to is the ENTER key, much prefer one like you have shown, but after a while you get used to it.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40745 on: October 06, 2019, 02:05:53 pm »
At the risk of pissing someone off for being on topic, in this post, I am going to talk about Test Equipment.   ;D

How dare you. Let me get out my wet lettuce leaf to punish you  :-DD Gratuitous TEA shot to help keep on topic  ;)

Made 3D printed cable racks decided I needed to re arrange the floor plan of the shack bulk mess not shown :palm:

All you motherfuckers posting tear downs of neato TE are giving me fucking withdrawal... I find myself thinking “Just how far back in the trailer IS my workbench buried...”

:scared:

And then I realize JUST EXACTLY what I’m contemplating. :o

Fuck. Each and every. One of you.  :-DD

mnem

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40746 on: October 06, 2019, 02:19:01 pm »

Another rabbit hole.

bitches. Now you’ve got me pining for my Tornado; ALSO buried in the trailer. |O

mnem
*THI-I-I-I-IS close to coming over there and slapping both of you...*  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #40747 on: October 06, 2019, 02:50:09 pm »
At the risk of pissing someone off for being on topic, in this post, I am going to talk about Test Equipment.   ;D

How dare you. Let me get out my wet lettuce leaf to punish you  :-DD Gratuitous TEA shot to help keep on topic  ;)

Made 3D printed cable racks decided I needed to re arrange the floor plan of the shack bulk mess not shown :palm:

All you motherfuckers posting tear downs of neato TE are giving me fucking withdrawal... I find myself thinking “Just how far back in the trailer IS my workbench buried...”

:scared:

And then I realize JUST EXACTLY what I’m contemplating. :o

Fuck. Each and every. One of you.  :-DD

mnem

muahahahahahahahhahahhaah!

specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #40748 on: October 06, 2019, 02:58:25 pm »
Backside, wired for 115V AC. And this nightmare of an AC mains connector will be replaced.  :o

A bunch of the older Tek TE has that connector (both of my 191s, for example). I've seen two kinds of replacements: IEC sockets and power cords run through the hole where the plug used to be. The original screw mounting holes aren't quite right for an IEC socket but that's easy to fix and makes for a pretty clean upgrade. 

specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40749 on: October 06, 2019, 03:04:59 pm »
I wanna go into a whole long diatribe here... (SNIP)

Cheers,

mnem
 8)

Was that ‘Thank you’ for the content, or the fact I demonstrated a modicum of self-restraint...?  :o

mnem
*editing my personal .config file*

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf