Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481410 times)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #40125 on: September 30, 2019, 02:52:40 pm »

EDIT Based on this video I have downloaded the latest Cura to play with and 'try'. But seriously  :wtf: 500Mb against 70Mb unpacked to Prusa Slicer. Cura is bloated to hell  :horse:

Then you won't want to run Cura either ;)

Never had any issues with dll anything on a Fusion install or upgrade so I suspect something else in your system may be the issue  :-//

I was getting by JUST with an I3 and 8Gb of ram and internal graphics but it was painful to load and not fast to run. It was the reason for the main box upgrade along with 4K video rendering.

Pixel scaling? Non issue for me as I have always run 1080P native until the recent 1440P upgrade.

Just simply not my experience at all with it. Clearly is knows your dislike for Autodesk anything  :-DD

I'm on a laptop so that might be the main problem why. Firstly the 1.5x scaling is because 1.0x is too damn small. Secondly, the thing has a wimpy i7 in it and Intel graphics. I'm considering a desktop build but I just can't be arsed with the whole thing at the moment. It's a distraction.

3d printer dispatched to arrive Wednesday. Hopefully by the end of the weekend my 1740A should have some new shoes  8)

Also a question for the 3d printers of the thread: is it normal to end up with a house full of rolls of filament? I'm feeling I'm going to end up there at some point...  :-DD
Gosh, where are you going to be able to put that then, don't tell me,... the dining room table and you're all going to be having TV dinners from now on  :-DD

I did consider that but the table is too wobbly! Thus it's going to live on the fireplace hearth which is a nice solid chunk of marble on concrete.  The fireplace is disconnected and the chimney sealed off (after an incident with a dead pigeon) so it's nice and safe there.
I tried a hack copy of S3D when I first got back into 3DP, and it for sure is more user-friendly and more polished. But their business model is just batshit crazy for the hobbyist; with their pricing and the number of projects most hobbyists turn out in a year, you spend more for the slice than you do for the filament.  :o

I’ve been using Cura for a while, as it was the first to include a profile for the Tevo Tornado; though their profile for the CR-10 worked quite well out of the box. The “print preview” function is pretty crude compared to S3D and manipulating the object in the printspace is a little clunky, but otherwise it is a very capable app, with a pretty easy learning curve. All the settings have clarification and “suggestion” hover-dialogs, so it is pretty quick to self-teach. About like Windows 7.  :P

As for Fusion360... Yeah, it does expect you to have a civilized GPU and civilized amount of RAM. It ran great on my 10-year-old AMD 1055T/16GB RAM, but kind of choked on renders until I upgraded from GeForce GT650/2GB to a Radeon RX580/8GB.

Once we get settled, I’ll see how it runs on my wife’s 6th gen  i3 laptop with external monitor and let you know.  8)

That said... I really think you’re going to be lots of time and assache ahead (on MANY fronts) if you just suck it up and go Fusion360, even if you need to do a long-overdue hardware refresh in the course thereof.  ;)

mnem
*currently packing down the living room TV*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40126 on: September 30, 2019, 03:03:26 pm »
I remember running SolidWorks on an NT4 machine. Dual pentium 3 800 with 512Mb of RAM and Matrox G500's and it was fine. People were designing aircraft parts with it. No excuse for Fusion 360 being such a piece of shit now, nearly 20 years later on a machine which is considereably faster when I'm modelling something utterly primitive in comparison.

Also I rather like the FreeCAD workflow stuff. Seems to work for me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40127 on: September 30, 2019, 03:05:12 pm »
This is what: The difference is you are HATING on hobbyist 3DP Technology FOR BEING hobbyist technology. THAT is just plain willful ignorance.

Firstly that is incorrect. I don't hate it, and use it where its limitations aren't a problem.

Secondly, over here we have far too much "you are the traitorous enemy" language being bandied about by Brexiteers.There is significant anecdotal evidence that this intolerance and emotion is  spilling into non-political areas, and it is making life toxic and unpleasant for a large proportion of the community. I believe there is similar hyperbole in statements from Trump supporters in the US.

I hope that valid differences of experiences and opinion do not cause intemperate flames to spoil the tenor of this forum.

Oh FFS... just drop it. You have nothing to counter with of value, so you go Godwin’s Law on my arse? Please, go suck your sour grapes elsewhere. :palm:

mnem
If you have to invoke Trump to make your point, you’ve already lost...

Sigh.

Quite apart from the misunderstanding of "Godwin's law", are such intemperate statements in the spirit of this forum?

I have a full and complete understanding of Godwin's Law. If you cannot see how it applies here, then the deficiency is in your apprehension, not mine.

As I’ve  said, if you have to invoke Trump to make your point, you’ve already lost.

Saying ignorant things in a temperate tone of voice as you’ve been doing doesn’t make you sound any less ignorant; it only shows that you fully understand and are being willfully ignorant.

Thanks for playing,

mnem
No, Thank you.

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #40128 on: September 30, 2019, 03:05:16 pm »
This is what: The difference is you are HATING on hobbyist 3DP Technology FOR BEING hobbyist technology. THAT is just plain willful ignorance.

Firstly that is incorrect. I don't hate it, and use it where its limitations aren't a problem.

Secondly, over here we have far too much "you are the traitorous enemy" language being bandied about by Brexiteers.There is significant anecdotal evidence that this intolerance and emotion is  spilling into non-political areas, and it is making life toxic and unpleasant for a large proportion of the community. I believe there is similar hyperbole in statements from Trump supporters in the US.

I hope that valid differences of experiences and opinion do not cause intemperate flames to spoil the tenor of this forum.

Oh FFS... just drop it. You have nothing to counter with of value, so you go Godwin’s Law on my arse? Please, go suck your sour grapes elsewhere. :palm:

mnem

Sigh.

Quite apart from the misunderstanding of "Godwin's law", are such rude and intemperate statements in the spirit of this forum?

Come on guys....stop. This is NOT what we are about. We can have disagreements without discord and personal attacks. And the written word, especially among different nationalities and cultures, does not always convey it's true meaning. We are all entitled to our opinion and should be able to express it to best of our ability.

Now...shake hands and move on and be friends. I don't want to see this forum get locked or even on the radar because we can't get along.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz, BU508A, URI, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40129 on: September 30, 2019, 03:09:20 pm »
I’m done here. There’s nothing more to say at this point; more discussion along these lines would just be recursion and I have no interest.

mnem
No, thank you.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #40130 on: September 30, 2019, 03:25:00 pm »
Drawn up this afternoon over a couple of beers  :popcorn: 10, 100 and 500A Murata shunts box with room for a few adapters.

Now 1am here and 3 degrees C and falling. Out to the shack in a dressing gown woolen beanie and Moccasins to put on part two of todays Print Now part one was finished on the Ender ::)

Slip on cover with clips to hold it in place and text because I can on part two

Not sure if this is dedication to the cause or just that I have other 'real jobs' to do on the printers tomorrow  ;)

Night all .....

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #40131 on: September 30, 2019, 03:37:48 pm »

Seriously you have NO WAY to judge or pronounce where those limits are as YOU have limited to no hands on experience! Time and again you make claims of knowledge way outside your experience when it comes to 3D printing.

Politics as any sort of defense is also indefensible so don't go there  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #40132 on: September 30, 2019, 03:48:56 pm »
I'm sorry I mentioned 3D printing here.

Let's move on.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz, worsthorse, Neomys Sapiens, URI, nixiefreqq, AVGresponding

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #40133 on: September 30, 2019, 03:50:57 pm »

Come on guys....stop. This is NOT what we are about. We can have disagreements without discord and personal attacks. And the written word, especially among different nationalities and cultures, does not always convey it's true meaning. We are all entitled to our opinion and should be able to express it to best of our ability.

Now...shake hands and move on and be friends. I don't want to see this forum get locked or even on the radar because we can't get along.  :-+

I'll bring some beer.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz

Offline ogdento

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40134 on: September 30, 2019, 04:09:49 pm »
How about a pic of a function generator I got for 6 bucks (+10 to ship) to lighten things up?  It's just a cheap GW Instek unit but the damned thing works way better than I'd expected to boot...

here's a picture of it (bottom left corner of the case is broken), and then a scope grab of it's variable duty cycle function.

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, URI

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #40135 on: September 30, 2019, 05:32:15 pm »
How about a pic of a function generator I got for 6 bucks (+10 to ship) to lighten things up?  It's just a cheap GW Instek unit but the damned thing works way better than I'd expected to boot...

That definitely deserves a Jammy Git award!

Every time I think I've seen every crap wiring job ever, someone comes along and disappoints me...

Worst of it is, the guy that did it spends a lot of time criticising other people's work...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #40136 on: September 30, 2019, 05:47:42 pm »
Every time I think I've seen every crap wiring job ever, someone comes along and disappoints me...

Worst of it is, the guy that did it spends a lot of time criticising other people's work...[/color][/b]

Are you really surprised? The Dunning-Kruger effect is real and omnipresent :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40137 on: September 30, 2019, 06:02:26 pm »
LMAO that's terrible that one. Looks like my father did it  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #40138 on: September 30, 2019, 06:07:15 pm »

Thanks for making me google a new term!

When I think of all the missed opportunities to use it...  :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40139 on: September 30, 2019, 06:18:49 pm »

What's wrong? Did he screw it?  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40140 on: September 30, 2019, 07:00:16 pm »
I'm sorry I mentioned 3D printing here. Let's move on.
You didn’t do anything wrong, B.
If we shot people for “being the catalyst” in here, the thread would soon be a desert littered with skeletons.

Cheers,

mnem

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40141 on: September 30, 2019, 07:05:32 pm »

What's wrong? Did he screw it?  :-DD

I think it was terminal long before he screwed it...

mnem
*ducks soggy ol’ boot tossed from the peanut gallery*

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #40142 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:11 pm »
I want one! Right now I've got other priorities but I'm going to keep watching Ebay. If a Type 106 pops up for under the typical price of $100+ USD I'll jump on it.

Typically those large filter cap cans in older vacuum tube Tek gear last forever and don't go bad. I think once you replace that fubar cap the unit will operate properly.  :-+

i pieced together the schematics and scanned them this morning to get a good readable set. if anyone wants a copy let me know (PDFs).  and since we are having what is turning out to be a rare sunny September day, more work on the 106 is delayed until this evening.  ;D
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40143 on: September 30, 2019, 07:45:56 pm »

mnem

Sigh.

Quite apart from the misunderstanding of "Godwin's law", are such rude and intemperate statements in the spirit of this forum?

I was about to say the same thing. We don't need this here.  Please just drop it.

The following users thanked this post: tggzzz

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40144 on: September 30, 2019, 07:54:34 pm »
Ah fucks sake. Was lined up to spend the evening getting the HP feet sorted so I can print some later in the week and had an IT disaster to deal with. Turns out Fastmail ate all my notes so I've eviscerated the bastards from my workflow.

I noticed an HP 400E turned up on eBay earlier, but I'll be buggered if I'm paying £125 for it!  :--

edit: also ebay has been fucked for about 3-4 hours now. I sold something and have been paid but only thing I have is the payment notification from paypal. Item has completely disappeared from eBay's system. Not on active or sold list.  :-- :-- :-- :--
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:00:53 pm by bd139 »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40145 on: September 30, 2019, 07:56:16 pm »

Yesterday as I was trying to figure out how to generate a square wave above the range of my little Wavetek sig gen, I experienced a serious case of non-buyer's remorse about this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Analogic-Data-Precision-2045-Polynomial-Waveform-Synthesizer-/153249955934

I can't believe I talked myself out of getting it because it was big when I have four 8640Bs sitting here, waiting to be rehabilitated.  I mean, big and heavy are clearly not limiting factors in my purchase decisions. What was I thinking?  |O

How about some waveform synthesizer pron for this poor sufferer?   ;D

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40146 on: September 30, 2019, 08:01:52 pm »

Worst of it is, the guy that did it spends a lot of time criticising other people's work...[/color][/b]

For those not familiar with the Dunning-Kruger effect (from wikipedia, fount of all knowledge):

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which people mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is. It is related to the cognitive bias of illusory superiority and comes from the inability of people to recognize their lack of ability. Without the self-awareness of metacognition, people cannot objectively evaluate their competence or incompetence.

As described by social psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger, the cognitive bias of illusory superiority results from an internal illusion in people of low ability and from an external misperception in people of high ability; that is, "the mis-calibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others.

The mis-calibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self.  Oh how I love that phrase.  :-DD

Now I really do have to get outside before the sun disappears again until late may of next year....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40147 on: September 30, 2019, 08:27:36 pm »

Yesterday as I was trying to figure out how to generate a square wave above the range of my little Wavetek sig gen, I experienced a serious case of non-buyer's remorse about this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Analogic-Data-Precision-2045-Polynomial-Waveform-Synthesizer-/153249955934

I can't believe I talked myself out of getting it because it was big when I have four 8640Bs sitting here, waiting to be rehabilitated.  I mean, big and heavy are clearly not limiting factors in my purchase decisions. What was I thinking?  |O

How about some waveform synthesizer pron for this poor sufferer?   ;D
Lemme get this straight... a 1GHz arb for $175 delivered, and YOU DON’T HAVE ONE, AND YOU PASSED ON IT...?     

;)

mnem
Here, let me adjust your self-flagellation a little... :-DD
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:29:46 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40148 on: September 30, 2019, 09:16:42 pm »
I remember running SolidWorks on an NT4 machine. Dual pentium 3 800 with 512Mb of RAM and Matrox G500's and it was fine. People were designing aircraft parts with it. No excuse for Fusion 360 being such a piece of shit now, nearly 20 years later on a machine which is considereably faster when I'm modelling something utterly primitive in comparison.

Also I rather like the FreeCAD workflow stuff. Seems to work for me.
Not that I have any experience of those programs but I have got and do indeed use AutoCad in various guises and I can tell you that running such a program on a laptop just sucks, it is painfully slow , stick it on a desktop/full height tower like I've got and it is OK. Laptops are really meant for anything that requires some ommph behind it, one of my laptops is supposed to be a workstation replacement, a HP Elitebook also running a wimpy i7 and it is gutless compared the tower.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #40149 on: September 30, 2019, 09:25:41 pm »
Well, I just ordered a Tek 114 from the bay of evil.  Cuz, you know, I don't have enough stuff here.   :palm:

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: med6753, 0culus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf