Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16844202 times)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #39750 on: September 26, 2019, 12:12:35 pm »
Did a little creative editing. Is this a little more fitting?  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39751 on: September 26, 2019, 12:19:40 pm »
Did a little creative editing. (Attachment Link) Is this a little more fitting?  :-DD

The finger needs to be centered to be convincing.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39752 on: September 26, 2019, 12:22:32 pm »
Did a little creative editing. (Attachment Link) Is this a little more fitting?  :-DD

Well they only genetically have four fingers to work with so their isnt a "middle" finger.  :-DD,

but if you insist it can be done ...  :-/O
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39753 on: September 26, 2019, 12:23:17 pm »
The Tek Type 114 is near Pittsburgh, PA. It should be to the New Jersey distribution center by the end of today. That will pretty much guarantee delivery tomorrow.  :-+

The tunnel diode is out for delivery.   :-+

The Mouser order dropped into a black hole again in the transfer from UPS to USPS.  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39754 on: September 26, 2019, 12:24:21 pm »

Well they only genetically have four fingers to work with so their isnt a "middle" finger.  :-DD,

Hey, if you're gonna flip the bird do it right.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39755 on: September 26, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »
A TE post for once. 3466A turned up. Doesn't appear to work properly! Looks like there's something up with the power supply. It has battery option which is as dead as a dodo and the power supply is sick.

This is great. I fancied debugging something :D  :-DD

Edit: battery option removed and jumped. On mains I have discovered -2.6V rail at -1V and -7V rail at -2.6V. Further investigation taking place shortly.

Traced it out with the 34401A. U300 True RMS converter is short  :--

Hp 1826-0421 which appears to be an AD536ADJ. Someone has one in the UK but I ain't paying £40 for it! Looks like this will be non True RMS!

Edit: OMG actually I found the problem. Some absolute melt has clearly replaced the (socketed!) AD536 but put the fucker in the wrong way round. Fortunately the substrate diodes just conducted through the rails and the power supply limited.  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. I just turned it round the right way and the power supply is not limiting. Reassembling to see if it works now  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 12:33:17 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39756 on: September 26, 2019, 12:37:26 pm »
Edit: OMG actually I found the problem. Some absolute melt has clearly replaced the (socketed!) AD536 but put the fucker in the wrong way round.

But it should have been designed to go in only one way!  :-DD

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #39757 on: September 26, 2019, 12:47:15 pm »

If that's the case, then just leave it as it is and caption it "fill in the blank!"

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39758 on: September 26, 2019, 12:47:33 pm »
A TE post for once. 3466A turned up. Doesn't appear to work properly! Looks like there's something up with the power supply. It has battery option which is as dead as a dodo and the power supply is sick.

This is great. I fancied debugging something :D  :-DD

Edit: battery option removed and jumped. On mains I have discovered -2.6V rail at -1V and -7V rail at -2.6V. Further investigation taking place shortly.

Traced it out with the 34401A. U300 True RMS converter is short  :--

Hp 1826-0421 which appears to be an AD536ADJ. Someone has one in the UK but I ain't paying £40 for it! Looks like this will be non True RMS!

Edit: OMG actually I found the problem. Some absolute melt has clearly replaced the (socketed!) AD536 but put the fucker in the wrong way round. Fortunately the substrate diodes just conducted through the rails and the power supply limited.  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. I just turned it round the right way and the power supply is not limiting. Reassembling to see if it works now  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:

Gorilla's at work.  :scared:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39759 on: September 26, 2019, 12:48:26 pm »
If that's the case, then just leave it as it is and caption it "fill in the blank!"

-Pat

This should work better -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39760 on: September 26, 2019, 12:50:36 pm »
Ok last post on it.

It works absolutely fine now. What a complete fucking muppet who did that. So I'm poking my way round the thing I was tracing voltage drops from the power supply to find the short. Worked my way into the corner with the AD536 in it. I looked at it and though "hey that doens't look like it's in properly" followed by a quick SMM check and "that's in the bloody wrong way round". It's socketed in this unit.

Before repair  :palm: :palm: :palm:

After repair  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Works now.

DC volts check:

AC volts check against reference:

Pretty close!

Well that was the most "interesting" repair for a while  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: med6753, kj7e, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39761 on: September 26, 2019, 12:50:54 pm »
Much better.  :-DD :-DD Thanks!  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39762 on: September 26, 2019, 01:07:53 pm »

Before repair  :palm: :palm: :palm:

After repair  :palm: :palm: :palm:

Works now.

That's the most concise and to-the-point set of before and after repair pics I've ever seen.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39763 on: September 26, 2019, 01:10:47 pm »
Indeed. I would love to know exactly how that got like that. What was the person thinking? Were they thinking? Were they a person? Who knows? The whole world has gone insane  :scared:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39764 on: September 26, 2019, 01:11:09 pm »

Being pedantic, but shouldn't the finger and thumb be behind the hand?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39765 on: September 26, 2019, 01:12:42 pm »

You're welcome. I think that's going down as a classic for this forum.  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #39766 on: September 26, 2019, 02:06:31 pm »
Indeed. I would love to know exactly how that got like that. What was the person thinking? Were they thinking? Were they a person? Who knows? The whole world has gone insane  :scared:

Yes.  :palm:  :blah:  :--  :(
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #39767 on: September 26, 2019, 02:14:17 pm »
Well be sure to hang around as I "vandalize" and "butcher" a 8010A and completely destroy the faded and UV damaged case that apparently you might find attractive and desirable. In addition....when the Type 114 shows up with it's scuffed and damaged case I'll be destroying that "patina" too.

Perhaps you better dust off your credit card and save the TE from the likes of me.  :-//
I love how serious you're taking this.  ;D

It's preparation and practice for the real thing because you know some asshole is gonna object and try to call me out. See that rope? Go piss up it.

Don't look in my direction. I've got bigger frogs to stomp, and I gave up on saving your heathen soul LONG AGO... :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #39768 on: September 26, 2019, 02:25:10 pm »

I see similar facts happening here in Munich right now:

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39769 on: September 26, 2019, 02:28:21 pm »
   How can you possibly step on your own feet? Clumsy much?   :-// :P ;D
I've carefully avoided your house so they're definitely not mine.

Not mine either. Must be bd139's?  :-DD :-DD

They're mine.  :-[ When I pass out on the couch, the wife & daughter like practice their pedicure skillz on the dwagon's claws. Here's a "before" pic... :scared:

mnem
Yes, you may touch it. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39770 on: September 26, 2019, 02:33:12 pm »
Well they only genetically have four fingers to work with so their isnt a "middle" finger.  :-DD, but if you insist it can be done ...  :-/O

The reason it looks wrong is because his hand is facing the wrong way. When you flip the bird, you show the back of your hand. That edit looks like he's waggling his finger at you disapprovingly... not entirely out of character either.  ;)

mnem
"What are you rebelling against?"
"Whadda you got...?"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39771 on: September 26, 2019, 02:48:22 pm »
   It works absolutely fine now. What a complete fucking muppet who did that. (SNIP)   After repair  :palm: :palm: :palm:      Well that was the most "interesting" repair for a while  :palm:

Speaking as someone who's fought the battle of poor eyesight all his life... isn't it possible s/he just mistook the little nub on the bottom of the socket for an orientation tab?

I know from experience that's probably just molding flash or the spot where they broke the part off the sprue, but from this pic it looks like it could easily be mistaken... :-//

And of course, no knowing if the last person inside that thing was even a tech-type person; could've bought it cheap cuz "something rattling around inside", found the part & plugged it in, but not known enough to try flipping it around. While technically such a person messing around inside of such a device is a bit of a muppet, remember that to most of the world, our pet fetish is nothing more than "old electronic junk".

Either way, you got fuggin' lucky, you !

mnem
*Back out into the suck*

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39772 on: September 26, 2019, 04:03:19 pm »
Well this is a pleasant surprise. The tunnel diode showed up. But it's more like plural....diodes. 5 of them.  :-+ The original Ebay ad stated he had 5 for sale. And he gave the impression they were $30 USD EACH. So I ordered a quantity of 1. Apparently not. It was $30 for all 5.  :o So I got 5 of these unobtaniums for $6 USD each. Now if my good fortune holds out and it fixes the 485.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, worsthorse, bd139

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #39773 on: September 26, 2019, 04:12:34 pm »
nice  8)

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #39774 on: September 26, 2019, 04:27:20 pm »
Before I dive into the 485. Another purchase showed up today. Back when I was removing the filter caps on the 465B I noticed that my 45 year old Ungar Imperial iron was struggling. The large surface areas on both the board and the capacitors themselves was causing the old Ungar to cool down. So much so that I had to wait a few minutes to let it heat up. So I decided to get a solder station.

It's not a Hako and it doesn't have automatic temperature compensation. It's simply variable temp (Probably a triac...haven't taken it apart). It got good reviews so I figured I'd give it try. If it doesn't work out then boo hoo on me I should have bought a Hako. Going to put to the test very shortly.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf