Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17685483 times)

Vince and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38375 on: September 07, 2019, 10:50:36 am »
This is hilarious. Going through the MSO5000 thread I found this gem. Someone found that Rigol hard coded some SMTP credentials into the MSO5000 and you can use it to log on to their iNotes email instance and send emails  :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2631126/#msg2631126

Massive fail.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38376 on: September 07, 2019, 12:14:15 pm »
This is hilarious. Going through the MSO5000 thread I found this gem. Someone found that Rigol hard coded some SMTP credentials into the MSO5000 and you can use it to log on to their iNotes email instance and send emails  :-DD

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hacking-the-rigol-mso5000-series-oscilloscopes/msg2631126/#msg2631126

Massive fail.

"ET phone home".  ;D Can you imagine the reaction at Rigol when that e-mail showed up?  :palm: I wonder what the Chinese equivalent of a Siberian Labor Camp is?   :-DD I have a feeling some may find out.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38377 on: September 07, 2019, 01:05:38 pm »
This is what I call my “Torture Rack”. Any Tek scope that's undergone repair gets it's turn on the rack. Basically anytime I'm at the bench it's powered up. So if I need to make a measurement I've already got a scope warmed up and ready to go. And when it's not actively working it's connected to the audio output of the police/fire scanner just generating random waveforms to keep all circuits on it's toes. So when on this rack the scope has to endure multiple power cycles and long hours of operation. It's my assurance that it's truly fixed. The 475A just came off weeks on the rack after it's repair of the intermittent channel 1 issue. And it is indeed fixed. Now it's the 485's turn. We'll see how it goes.   :-/O :-+

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #38378 on: September 07, 2019, 02:19:48 pm »

Massive fail.

Speaking of massive fail... I bought a "refurb" Lenovo E550 eBay auction: #153620089653 for mom-in-law as a replacement for her aging HP personal confuser. She goes to personalize her desktop and fonts and can't; Windoze is bitching it's not authenticated. So she brings it with when she comes to visit the little wigglers; turns out the "ready-to-use with Windows 10" refurbished laptop doesn't have a fresh install... but rather the site-license install from the previous corporate lease owner with all the local user accounts (if there ever were any) deleted.  :palm: This machine is new enough I was able to do a fresh install and it automatically extracted the OEM Key from BIOS; took about 15 minutes from a USB 3.0 thumb drive. But still a massive FAIL.  ::)

829149-0

But THIS is the REAL FAIL: A disc full of HIPAA-privileged patient medical records... MRI scans, scrips, medical history and charts... still in the optical drive. Not like you can't notice it there; the machine spends like 20-30 seconds every power-up spinning the disc at Mach 3 trying to boot from it.  |O

Fortunately mom-in-law is now happy; she was able to make her extra-large fonts and I ordered her a 2nd 8GB SODIMM off fleaBay to max out the machine. Now I get the joy of talking her through installing it over the phone when it arrives next week. (Not a problem; she's done a HDD with me before)  >:D

mnem
 :o

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:24:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38379 on: September 07, 2019, 02:35:43 pm »
829179-0

Had a bad day cooking out yesterday...  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:37:22 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38380 on: September 07, 2019, 02:38:01 pm »

Massive fail.

Speaking of massive fail... I bought a "refurb" Lenovo E550 eBay auction: #153620089653 for mom-in-law as a replacement for her aging HP personal confuser. She goes to personalize her desktop and fonts and can't; Windoze is bitching it's not authenticated. So she brings it with when she comes to visit the little wigglers; turns out the "ready-to-use with Windows 10" refurbished laptop doesn't have a fresh install... but rather the site-license install from the previous corporate lease owner with all the local user accounts (if there ever were any) deleted.  :palm: This machine is new enough I was able to do a fresh install and it automatically extracted the OEM Key from BIOS; took about 15 minutes from a USB 3.0 thumb drive. But still a massive FAIL.  ::)

(Attachment Link)

But THIS is the REAL FAIL: A disc full of HIPAA-privileged patient medical records... MRI scans, scrips, medical history and charts... still in the optical drive. Not like you can't notice it there; the machine spends like 20-30 seconds every power-up spinning the disc at Mach 3 trying to boot from it.  |O

Fortunately mom-in-law is now happy; she was able to make her extra-large fonts and I ordered her a 2nd 8GB SODIMM off fleaBay to max out the machine. Now I get the joy of talking her through installing it over the phone when it arrives next week. (Not a problem; she's done a HDD with me before)  >:D

mnem

:-DMM

That doesn’t surprise me. It’s why we introduced GDPR here. I’d report it. Whoever did disposal will get their ass kicked. This is also why we just shred the laptops now. It’s not even worth taking the disks out. Costs too much. Just pile them up in the office with disks that were pulled and a dude turns up in a van and powders the lot.

Currently stuck in an indoor trampoline park in slough with 200 children screaming and breaking bones. At least it has no windows so you can’t see slough.

https://youtu.be/-935cbXTt_g

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38381 on: September 07, 2019, 02:42:44 pm »
Here's the 34401A pics. As I said looks brand new. The cal count is 75 though so it'd be interesting to know what it's been doing all these years. The freq. spec is up to 300 kHz but it works well far above that. No other issues noted.

(Yea the comma is off now  :) )
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic, grbk

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38382 on: September 07, 2019, 02:46:01 pm »
That looks excellent. Congratulations!

My cal count is 35. It’s not unusual for them to have to run the cal cycle ten times before the monkey in charge gets it right each time.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38383 on: September 07, 2019, 03:06:38 pm »

(Attachment Link)    But THIS is the REAL FAIL: A disc full of HIPAA-privileged patient medical records... MRI scans, scrips, medical history and charts... still in the optical drive. Not like you can't notice it there; the machine spends like 20-30 seconds every power-up spinning the disc at Mach 3 trying to boot from it.  |O   Fortunately mom-in-law is now happy; she was able to make her extra-large fonts and I ordered her a 2nd 8GB SODIMM off fleaBay to max out the machine. Now I get the joy of talking her through installing it over the phone when it arrives next week. (Not a problem; she's done a HDD with me before)  >:D

mnem
:-DMM   That doesn’t surprise me. It’s why we introduced GDPR here. I’d report it. Whoever did disposal will get their ass kicked. This is also why we just shred the laptops now. It’s not even worth taking the disks out. Costs too much. Just pile them up in the office with disks that were pulled and a dude turns up in a van and powders the lot.

LOL... this is the US of A... there's nobody to report it to that won't just be a waste of a whole afternoon of my life. These laptops were sold as "Used"; even fleaBay doesn't give a flying fuck about what's in it. E-cycling over here is essentially unregulated; part of the corporate "Race to the Bottom". Unless the previous lease-owner was a major corporate entity who contracted specifically for "Secure Disposal", these guys are not liable; the lease-holder who didn't pull the discs are. Now try and prove which of the dozens of muppets who handled that laptop in its life over the last 4 years is responsible... fuck that noize.

Just a good thing I was there to catch THIS one...  :o

mnem
*back out into the suck*
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:10:02 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38384 on: September 07, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
In our system everyone is responsible. Solves all the blame problems  :-DD

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38385 on: September 07, 2019, 03:20:16 pm »
Wasn't there a lucky guy here who got hold of a Philips PM6206 for peanuts?

If you are talking about the Philips PM6303, that would be me.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2128972/#msg2128972

Paid around 68$ Euro but I was lucky.

I'm waiting for a Stanford Research SR720 now. Form factor is a bit weird but the accuracy is impressive (0.05%)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #38386 on: September 07, 2019, 03:28:02 pm »
Currently stuck in an indoor trampoline park in slough with 200 children screaming and breaking bones. At least it has no windows so you can’t see slough.

That's not a had use case for a self-driving car. Simply put on very dark sunglasses when entering Slough, remove them when leaving.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38387 on: September 07, 2019, 03:32:26 pm »

Massive fail.

Haha there is tons of story like that.

The key to the whole security system of the PS3 was "12345" and it was hardcoded in a chip :)

Also years ago, I was poking in the file system of my ADSL modem. Found the maintenance credential to connect to their system. I was leeching free unlimited Internet for a while  :P

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38388 on: September 07, 2019, 03:37:55 pm »
This is what I call my “Torture Rack”. Any Tek scope that's undergone repair gets it's turn on the rack. Basically anytime I'm at the bench it's powered up. So if I need to make a measurement I've already got a scope warmed up and ready to go. And when it's not actively working it's connected to the audio output of the police/fire scanner just generating random waveforms to keep all circuits on it's toes. So when on this rack the scope has to endure multiple power cycles and long hours of operation. It's my assurance that it's truly fixed. The 475A just came off weeks on the rack after it's repair of the intermittent channel 1 issue. And it is indeed fixed. Now it's the 485's turn. We'll see how it goes.   :-/O :-+

Look really nice. I want to fix mine now  :)

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38389 on: September 07, 2019, 03:39:53 pm »
Here's the 34401A pics. As I said looks brand new. The cal count is 75 though so it'd be interesting to know what it's been doing all these years. The freq. spec is up to 300 kHz but it works well far above that. No other issues noted.

Wooaa look brand new ! Good catch  :-+

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38390 on: September 07, 2019, 03:42:30 pm »

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #38391 on: September 07, 2019, 03:43:20 pm »

Also years ago, I was poking in the file system of my ADSL modem. Found the maintenance credential to connect to their system. I was leeching free unlimited Internet for a while  :P

At least eighty percent of "hacking" is poking around in file systems and finding shit that shouldn't be there but is. Another ten percent is learning how to run a script that someone else wrote against enough targets to gain entry for poking around. 
specialization is for insects.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38392 on: September 07, 2019, 03:46:23 pm »

At least eighty percent of "hacking" is poking around in file systems and finding shit that shouldn't be there but is. Another ten percent is learning how to run a script that someone else wrote against enough targets to gain entry for poking around.

Yeah it's always about finding and exploiting people mistakes

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38393 on: September 07, 2019, 04:11:45 pm »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2128972/#msg2128972

I'm waiting for a Stanford Research SR720 now. Form factor is a bit weird but the accuracy is impressive (0.05%)
No, not yours. Should have been PM6306. The SR720 is one of those I am looking at. Along with the Agilent etc. But most are 100kHz only. But the PM6306 does 1MHz.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38394 on: September 07, 2019, 04:18:24 pm »

No, not yours. Should have been PM6306. The SR720 is one of those I am looking at. Along with the Agilent etc. But most are 100kHz only. But the PM6306 does 1MHz.

Yes the PM6306 is really nice. But since most of them are Fluke branded they are crazy expensive.

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38395 on: September 07, 2019, 04:38:59 pm »

'xcept Mrs. Crown. She doesn't even have a driver's licence. AFAIK.

Talk about badass.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38396 on: September 07, 2019, 04:45:49 pm »

That's not a had use case for a self-driving car. Simply put on very dark sunglasses when entering Slough, remove them when leaving.

That's a brilliant solution. It can be applied to Bracknell as well :)

My day job is trying to stop the lowest bidder from being a target from those people. It involves shouting noooooooo a lot and losing hair.

Anyway back from trampoline armageddon and armed with dinner. After this I'm going to attempt to shake off my pareidolia and install "mr depressed robot" in the HP 5334B as the screws arrived while I was out :)

'xcept Mrs. Crown. She doesn't even have a driver's licence. AFAIK.

Talk about badass.

Shame about her other half:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/17/prince-philip-involved-in-car-accident-near-sandringham

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38397 on: September 07, 2019, 05:10:33 pm »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38398 on: September 07, 2019, 05:15:43 pm »
Cold blood perhaps  :-DD

And I’m not sure crashing off the road was really driving  :-DD

This is usually what happens here when people get really old

https://youtu.be/MR0deRfvAw0

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #38399 on: September 07, 2019, 05:42:20 pm »

Wow, xrunner! That really does look fresh out of the box. Congrats!

As for the cal count, a complete adjustment increases the count by about 35 (if they get everything right in one go). So, yours may have had one full adjustment (or a couple of partials) since its original setup at the factory.

That looks excellent. Congratulations!

My cal count is 35. It’s not unusual for them to have to run the cal cycle ten times before the monkey in charge gets it right each time.

Sounds like yours hasn't been touched since it was released into the wild, bd.

(Out of curiosity, checked my count and it's 48. Revision is 11-05-02.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 05:48:02 pm by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf