Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17686492 times)

Robert763, onsokumaru and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #38100 on: September 03, 2019, 03:31:55 pm »
@BU508A - Thanks for the heads up on these, now I know what to look for in a 34401A.   :-+

1) Red & Black connectors
2) "Agilent" instead of "Hewlett Packard" on the face plate
3) Lack of VFD display module

Anything else I should keep an eye out for before I purchase one (aside from the obvious condition factor and intact seals)?
Unless I'm misunderstanding you they all have VFDs. There obviously also are the more modern Keysight models with the rounded buttons. Those are fine too but not quite as pretty.
He's talking specifically about the "unobtanium" VFD driver that often fails when the VFD fails. IIRC, they are a pretty visible separate part as opposed to later models in which it is integrated into the VFD assembly.

Yes, what I meant is the lack of the "unobtanium" VFD driver and its accompanying VFD display. I did, however, forget to ask:  is there a specific indicator for units that do or don't have the old VFD driver/display arrangement? Is the old driver specific to only the HP units with all red jacks and the older button style?   I searched but haven't yet found this information specifically.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #38101 on: September 03, 2019, 03:38:59 pm »
He's talking specifically about the "unobtanium" VFD driver that often fails when the VFD fails. IIRC, they are a pretty visible separate part as opposed to later models in which it is integrated into the VFD assembly.

Agreed. Feels like something out of Logan's Run or somesuch...  ;D

mnem
It's only money.
I assume I'm still not understanding what you lot are getting at as the VFD drivers shouldn't be visible from the outside.
True, but this is TE on eBay. While NOT "the usual", I've seen plenty of listings over the years where they do show covers off interior shots. So...  :-//

I think maybe he was asking if there were other indicators as to the presence of said "unobtanium" component, aside from the all red 4mm jacks and the brand on the nameplate.  ;)

mnem
*back out into Hell*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38102 on: September 03, 2019, 03:48:17 pm »

Agreed. Feels like something out of Logan's Run or somesuch...  ;D

mnem
It's only money.
I assume I'm still not understanding what you lot are getting at as the VFD drivers shouldn't be visible from the outside.
True, but this is TE on eBay. While NOT "the usual", I've seen plenty of listings over the years where they do show covers off interior shots. So...  :-//

I think maybe he was asking if there were other indicators as to the presence of said "unobtanium" component, aside from the all red 4mm jacks and the brand on the nameplate.  ;)

mnem
*back out into Hell*

Much better worded than my posts..  :palm:

My communication skills don't reflect my abilities with tools and materials, I swear!!  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38103 on: September 03, 2019, 03:55:01 pm »
Another completed project. V-7A going through a burn-in. Utilizing the single combo probe connected to a AD584-M voltage reference. 15VDC range at 2.5V, 5V, 7.5V, and 10V. Excellent accuracy. Another neglected Heath saved from the junk pile. And again I need to thank bd139 for supplying the meter from his scrap unit.  :-+

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38104 on: September 03, 2019, 04:16:12 pm »
Looking very nice med, pretty good accuracy there, that blue looks so fresh and right on that meter enclosure, might have to copy that if I get something in a metal enclosure  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38105 on: September 03, 2019, 04:18:43 pm »
Looking good  :-+.

Wish I had a good one on hand now  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38106 on: September 03, 2019, 04:21:23 pm »

I thought you had at least one good one in your stash.  :-// Did you sell it?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38107 on: September 03, 2019, 04:24:05 pm »
Looking very nice med, pretty good accuracy there, that blue looks so fresh and right on that meter enclosure, might have to copy that if I get something in a metal enclosure  :-+

Tell mnem that.  ;D He sez it don't look right on a Heathkit.  :palm: But He's forgetting that in later years Heath DID go to blue cabinets.  :P

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38108 on: September 03, 2019, 04:27:42 pm »

I thought you had at least one good one in your stash.  :-// Did you sell it?

I've had two good V7's go through, three duff ones and an IM-13 so far. They tend not to stick around because as much as I like them I don't use the things. The last one nearly paid for the 5334B which I do use!

Tell mnem that.  ;D He sez it don't look right on a Heathkit.  :palm: But He's forgetting that in later years Heath DID go to blue cabinets.  :P

Looks fine to me.

If you want anal attention to consistency with Heathkit, check this dude out! http://www.vacuumtubeaudio.info/project10.htm

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38109 on: September 03, 2019, 04:29:51 pm »
Yea, I've seen that site before. That is totally anal...much more than I ever would be.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38110 on: September 03, 2019, 04:40:45 pm »
I'm not so sure I wouldn't be. The killer is that I think he screwed up by standardising everything on the 70s Heathkit livery without the blue bar across the bottom.

I rather like the style of the IP-2718 etc as per: https://www.amateurradiosales.co.uk/product-page/heathkit-ip-2718-tri-power-supply

I am tempted by the above. They are nice power supplies. Used to own one. Quick flashback... 2012-2014-ish:

Look what you people have done to me!!!  :-DD . Only thing I own in that still is the cutting mat!

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38111 on: September 03, 2019, 04:52:09 pm »
You can't blame us for your "seller's regret". You turn over equipment faster and more often than some of us change our underwear. That's on you pal!  :-DD :-DD

I also like the styling of those Heath supplies and other Heath TE from that era.  :-+
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:54:43 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38112 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:30 pm »
What!, is that philips scope the one that you had before then? I'm guessing it is judging by the leader sig gen.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38113 on: September 03, 2019, 04:56:18 pm »
Yeah that was indeed the one before. That was my second PM3217. I'm on my 3rd now  :-DD

First one I got in ~1990 I think it was (cost me I think £200 then!). That got put in storage around 1997 then sold in 2000. Then I bought that one when I got back into electronics again after buying a Telequipment S61 for 2 quid and nearly dying inside at how shit it was. The above one went in early 2016 for a Tek 465B. That started the Tek fixing mission which I am soooo over now  :-DD

Edit: meant to say, the S61 was so bad you could smell the rat piss once it warmed up. Ugh :(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 04:59:00 pm by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38114 on: September 03, 2019, 04:59:04 pm »
The above one went in early 2016 for a Tek 465B. That started the Tek fixing mission which I am soooo over now  :-DD

That's OK....I picked up the slack.  :P :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38115 on: September 03, 2019, 05:03:45 pm »

Yes, you're quite correct sir, they did go to blue later in life and I have on one here, the IG-4505 which I was looking for one of these for simply ages. It has been recapped and thoroughly checked out and the flying output lead chopped and replaced with a standard BNC socket for convenience. It also doubles as pretty sanity checker for DMM testing with its DC switched output.  :-+
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:12:14 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #38116 on: September 03, 2019, 05:12:42 pm »

BLASPHEMER!!! If it doesn't come all in grey and crinkle-finish, it isn't proper HeathKit!!! :-DD

Yea, I've seen that site before. That is totally anal...much more than I ever would be.  :-DD

Ditto... disturbingly anal. And worse yet, he paints HP gear in that same horrible "Blasphemy Blue" just to have "consistency" with his *BLEEP!*Kit gear...  |O

That said... good work, med. I'd still rather see it earning its keep wearing "Blasphemy Blue" than in a landfill. :-+  As long as it's on your workbench, not mine.  :-DD

mnem
I'd better shut up... lest med take the B&K gear I'm sending him and paint it to match...   >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38117 on: September 03, 2019, 05:16:01 pm »

I'd better shut up... lest med take the B&K gear I'm sending him and paint it to match...   >:D
Now that is a real possibility as I understand he has plenty of the blue paint left.   :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #38118 on: September 03, 2019, 05:29:03 pm »

Now that is a real possibility as I understand he has plenty of the blue paint left.   :-DD

And if I run out a quick trip to the home improvement store for more.  :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38119 on: September 03, 2019, 05:34:06 pm »
Good TE day today. 34401A dispatched via a carrier ...

Well I can't let you guys have all the 34401A fun, just got one ordered on Ebay.  :)

It's hard to keep up with this group any more!

Aaaand now I'm broke  :-DD

Oh shit - me too.  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38120 on: September 03, 2019, 05:41:59 pm »
Congratulations on your TE purchase :-DD. So much goodness in those meters. Can't wait 'til mine turns up. I have some work for it to do  :-+

Random project: clearing out final parts boxes, I just found enough gubbins lying around to build a simple Z80 computer. Need some hex displays though so off to ebay to get mugged for some  :scared:. Edit: found LEDs. Altair style it is
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 05:53:20 pm by bd139 »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38121 on: September 03, 2019, 05:56:57 pm »
These are ridiculously easy with even the cheapest hot-air setup; they're few enough pins you can either pre-tin the pads with an iron/paint with rosin or apply paste manually with a toothpick. The part will literally self align as long as you don't crank the air up so high you blow it off the board. I'm not seeing your problem...?

I do have a hot air station, an AOYUE int 852

I tried to solder some SMD components, some TSOP-16 stuff and found it hard to place it correctly so that
i will get nice solder joints. And TSOP is much easier than VQFN, where one have to place it to 1/100th mm
And you can't see it, if all solder joints are good. I dislike this kind of soldering. Usual SMD stuff is no problem,
but this brings me to my limits. Probably I need more practise.

If you don't have a hot air station, now's the time; this is JUST the sort of project to practice on. Just remember to populate these parts FIRST on a bare board if you're a noob. Or you can get a cheap breakout and plug it into a DIP, but that'll make your end product pretty big: eBay auction: #382865350172 For other outlines, this experimenter's kit is cheap but very interesting (doesn't have specifically QFN24): eBay auction: #272931785519

Thanks for this, I'll have a look at them.  :-+

And I've found also something for you:

T-Shirt @ EMP

"Reality is something for people who are afraid of dragons"  :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:31:33 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #38122 on: September 03, 2019, 06:06:05 pm »
Well I can't let you guys have all the 34401A fun, just got one ordered on Ebay.  :)

It's hard to keep up with this group any more!

Oh shit - me too.  :-//
Congrats! Looks like a lot of people were aching to pull the trigger.  ;D

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #38123 on: September 03, 2019, 06:14:17 pm »
@BU508A

Thanks for the heads up on these, now I know what to look for in a 34401A.   :-+

1) Red & Black connectors
2) "Agilent" instead of "Hewlett Packard" on the face plate
3) Lack of VFD display module

Anything else I should keep an eye out for before I purchase one (aside from the obvious condition factor and intact seals)?

You are welcome.  :)

A word about the VFD: the VFD aren't the problem.  The drivers for them in the old models are. They are unobtainium
and sometimes they get leaky. When this happens, a change of the VFD will not help, you have to replace the whole display section.
Otherwise these old meters are very fine. But if you can get an Agilent branded one for the same money, I'd take this one.
The oval/round knobs are a matter of taste.

And I would take one with the bumpers and the handle. Very handy.

Edit:
Regarding the indicator:
"On older issue 34401a meters (fw version 06-04-01 and prior) have a custom HP designed micro controller with integrated high voltage VFD driver which is not obtainable, unless bought as a whole front panel assembly, which again is not cheap."

Source:
https://github.com/openscopeproject/HP34401a-OLED-FW
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:25:41 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #38124 on: September 03, 2019, 06:28:48 pm »
Congrats! Looks like a lot of people were aching to pull the trigger.  ;D

Thanks. This thread is dangerous if you are "thinking" about buying any test equipment.

Kindof like walking into the Humane Society "thinking" about maybe getting a cat or dog. Don't even go in there unless you want to come out with a new pet LOL.  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf