Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17686268 times)

Robert763, onsokumaru and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #36500 on: August 08, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »

Edit: @med that looks really good. It would scare me having an unenclosed CRT with vacuum on display though. Buggers go with quite some force if you break 'em!

Definitely a concern. Since it's just me here I'll risk it. If there were others in the house then yea, I'd have to enclose it in plexiglass. Problem is I don't have the right tools to properly cut it and it would look like crap. I'd have to get a glass place to do it which would be big bucks.

The alternative is to deactivate the CRT's by snapping the exhaust tips which would let in air slowly. I really don't want to do that. First, the 3 inch CRT is still good. It was just in the wrong application. Second, the getters on all 3 would turn from shiny silver to dull gray and start flaking off and it would look terrible.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 03:33:01 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #36501 on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:57 pm »
Edit: @med that looks really good. It would scare me having an unenclosed CRT with vacuum on display though. Buggers go with quite some force if you break 'em!

With mine I broke the nipple in the end, then a friend chopped it as in https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/rescuing-a-broken-tektronix-465-crt/

Now I've got a better camera, I ought to update the pictures.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:12:46 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36502 on: August 08, 2019, 02:09:28 pm »
The alternative is to deactivate the CRT's by snapping the exhaust tips which would let in air slowly. I really don't want to do that. First, the 3 inch CRT is still good. It was just in the wrong application. Second, the getters on all 3 would turn from shiny silver to dull gray and start flaking off and it would look terrible.

Yeah also the phosphor goes horrible super quick.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36503 on: August 08, 2019, 02:30:19 pm »
Easier and safer be blowed! A thermal camera offers far more opportunity for the indulgence of TEA  ;)
I thought that goes without saying. Do you need one? Probably not. Is it a good excuse to purchase one? Of course? How else would you find that short?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #36504 on: August 08, 2019, 02:32:50 pm »
@med, very nice but I agree with bd139, those buggers can release shards of glass in all directions should an accident occur that I would be looking to provide some sort of cover for it just in case the unthinkable should happen. Personally as nice as it looks, if it were mine, it'd be at the bottom of dustbin with a brick dropped on it for safety, but each to their own, just hope nothing goes wrong when you're in close quarters to it.
You have no trouble dowsing your workbench and live board with flammable liquids but worry about some glass being strewn about? ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36505 on: August 08, 2019, 02:47:57 pm »
What also holds my fascination with pipe organs, besides the lovely rich sounds and really deep bass that you can actually feel in the pit of your stomach, is the engineering that goes into each one, and no two are alike, they all vary but this one in the link here is possibly the most unusual I have come across in the way that the key board controls the sound. Take a look and see for your self the level of engineering and attention to detail that has gone it, bloody amazing.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36506 on: August 08, 2019, 03:14:33 pm »
Here's the display in the far corner of the bedroom away from any activity. I'll just have to inform Jo Ann (Lady Copper) not to mess with it when she visits.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36507 on: August 08, 2019, 03:41:08 pm »
When I'm fiddling around with electronics (with the tongue at the right angle), my prefered music in the background is (in no particular order)
- Pink Floyd
- The Alan Parsons Project (from "Tales of mystery and imagination" up to "Vulture Culture")
- Kraftwerk
- Jean Michel Jarre (occasionly)
- Barclay James Harvest (preferred "Eyes of the universe")
- Jeff Wayne's "War of the worlds"
- Ganymed "Future wolrds"
- to be continued ...

For background music I prefer something soothing like this:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36508 on: August 08, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »
I can listen to metal....but not as background music.  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #36509 on: August 08, 2019, 03:55:16 pm »
I imagine that like time and volt nuttery, weather observation obsessions are common in this august group. I have been, for years, tracking lightning strikes (having high-in-the-open-wires connected to electronics in the house makes one interested in such information) at blitzortung.org.  Plus it is kind of soothing, in a nerdy way, to watch lightning storms develop in real time.

After a two year wait, I got one of their "system blue" lightning reporting systems, which I will put together next week:

You all want to see the build/test/install for this project or should I put it on one of the other forums? Is so, which one?

specialization is for insects.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36510 on: August 08, 2019, 04:17:08 pm »
I imagine that like time and volt nuttery, weather observation obsessions are common in this august group. I have been, for years, tracking lightning strikes (having high-in-the-open-wires connected to electronics in the house makes one interested in such information) at blitzortung.org.  Plus it is kind of soothing, in a nerdy way, to watch lightning storms develop in real time.

After a two year wait, I got one of their "system blue" lightning reporting systems, which I will put together next week:

You all want to see the build/test/install for this project or should I put it on one of the other forums? Is so, which one?

You are so right, I often watch that myself, especially if there is a storm happening near me, I like to see where the strikes have taken place against the Satellite maps and see just how close they are to my house.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36511 on: August 08, 2019, 05:32:30 pm »

Do it here. I also like to track/watch weather although I do detest thunder storms.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36512 on: August 08, 2019, 05:59:01 pm »

Do it here. I also like to track/watch weather although I do detest thunder storms.
I don't particularly like them either because they have such destructive powers like the whirlwinds and typhoons you get over in the states, you just never know where and when they will strike with their deadly power. 
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #36513 on: August 08, 2019, 06:26:36 pm »
How to enrage a Bean.... just mention this:  "Blend 43"

.... Then run like hell.

When people go and stay there their taste buds are beyond salvation, only pity applies.  :P Drinkers of $tarchucks do at least have some hope of redemption  ;)

I grew up on the GP's farm; gramma made Chock full o' Nuts ranch-style or in an old Pyrex percolator. My mother took that recipe with us, only substituting condensed milk for the real fresh-from-the-cow cream she used.

I developed a taste for it iced with a chunk of Abuelita or a packet of cocoa mix dissolved in it as a teen. Aside from the quality of the brew being several notches below hers, their bottled Mocha Frappucino reminds me very much of that over-sweetened concoction. As long as you don't expect it to taste like coffee, it isn't a half-bad caffeine/sugar fix. And since you can get it at almost any convenience or grocery store, you don't have to buy into the "6bucks coffee" hype-ecology.  :-//

I play the bagpipes - people either really love them or really hate them. But so loud, you have to practice with ear plugs otherwise your ears ring.

Maybe it would stop screaming so loud if you weren't squeezing it to death...  >:D

It's done.  :-+   I've been thinking of plans for building up a display for the 465 and 7904 CRT's. Obviously that's going to be much more complex.

Nice. 90% of the way to a CRT clock, too.   >:D

mnem
*waiting for med to take a hike down to Houston just so he can put the boots to me*  :-DD
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 06:34:10 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #36514 on: August 08, 2019, 07:31:45 pm »
UUgh. Remind me to never buy a home coffee roaster.  I'll just keep buying my beans pre-roasted and pre-ground. Better yet, I'll just swing by Starbucks and buy coffee pre-made, and ready to drink!  ;D

Heathen  :horse: Charbucks isn't coffee and preground isn't fresh.  :-DD

Meh... if  it's brown, hot, tastes vaguely like coffee, and has the elixir of the Gods (aka caffeine) in it, then it's "coffee" in my book.  :popcorn:

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #36515 on: August 08, 2019, 08:34:02 pm »
Problem is I don't have the right tools to properly cut it and it would look like crap.
Yeah you do !
Done a Lexan windshield with just a layer of protective tape so not to scratch it and a jigsaw with a new, sharp wood blade on medium speed then tidy up with a block plane and fine sandpaper for the bits where the plane isn't right then propane flame burnish the edge for a perfect finish.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36516 on: August 08, 2019, 09:11:31 pm »
I quite like the sound of a full pipe band, I'm also quite partial to some pan pipes as well.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

How's this work out for you:

:-DD
No, I don't consider it a suitable replacement for THIS:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36517 on: August 08, 2019, 09:17:31 pm »
I want one  :-DD

Plus when you're bored of it; bacon sandwiches.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
OT: No Dumber Than Acid-Washed, Less Poopy Than a Porcine Piano
« Reply #36518 on: August 08, 2019, 11:20:19 pm »

www.dresdencodak.com

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen mumblety-mumble* >:D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:23:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #36519 on: August 08, 2019, 11:33:23 pm »
I had a good property auction score...Tek 7104 and plugins for $100  :-+ It has a nice sharp trace on the mcp crt. May need a bit of work...but for that price can't go wrong.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #36520 on: August 08, 2019, 11:50:59 pm »
Life is too short for bad coffee (or women)!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #36521 on: August 09, 2019, 12:07:06 am »

Meh... coffee is like sex, or pizza... "even when it's bad, it's good".   :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36522 on: August 09, 2019, 12:17:38 am »

Hmm. Try a pizza from camden market. That will crush your soul. And your immune system.

Anyway I digress. Going to take an amble to the science museum in London next week, lazily driving in, followed by bad pizza, bad coffee and no sex. Will look out for things of interest to TEA participants.

01:15 here. Going to drown all the day’s sorrows in some Nick Cave (song: Oh My Lord) and pass out and dream of my capacitors arriving tomorrow which I will inevitably put in backwards again.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36523 on: August 09, 2019, 12:30:04 am »
I had a good property auction score...Tek 7104 and plugins for $100  :-+ It has a nice sharp trace on the mcp crt. May need a bit of work...but for that price can't go wrong.

Well? I'm waiting. Stamping foot.  :o :P :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #36524 on: August 09, 2019, 12:31:08 am »

Bullshit...nothing but the best for this dude.  :P :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf