Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18102901 times)

sorenkir, EE4all and 37 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #3325 on: November 02, 2017, 08:05:13 pm »
Yes, it does indeed sound like about time to get a vacuum desoldering gun or station. Save the braid for more delicate work and/or SMD pad cleaning.
You can use the desoldering station / vacuum gun for SMD pad cleaning, leaves them nice and flat.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3326 on: November 02, 2017, 08:46:21 pm »
Fluke have just released a new meter that can measure volts and current at the same time without needing any probes, measures up to 1,000V in 1v steps. I wonder how long it will be before someone scales the system down to make it suitable for electronics use as well?

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/electrical-testers/t6-1000-electrical-tester.html?trck=t6#techspecs

There is a short video of it there as well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Kilo Tango

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3327 on: November 02, 2017, 09:11:25 pm »
Here's a desoldering gun I bought a few years back. It still works well, I just replaced the mains cable and plug but still going strong. After 40 years !.

Ken

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3328 on: November 02, 2017, 09:12:51 pm »
Wow, thats sure was a few years ago, nothing at all like today's ones.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Kilo Tango

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3329 on: November 02, 2017, 09:22:50 pm »
Yes, built to last. I have used a weller desoldering station, but it always seemed to need fixing, servicing, cleaning out this and that. I seemed to spend longer fixing it than actually using it !

Ken

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3330 on: November 02, 2017, 09:27:30 pm »
I do have a desolder gun now - a 474++, but I only got it a couple of weeks ago. It works well but there are limitations, especially when all the pins on TH boards have been hammered flat and then soldered (my pet hate). I have to use a soldering iron first to lift the pin up enough so I can get the gun onto it, then wiggle it about to straighten/free it. I hope the braid will last longer now I have the gun but for a bunch of rotary switches, banana sockets and so on I recovered recently the braid is still the best solution.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3331 on: November 02, 2017, 10:18:59 pm »
Fluke have just released a new meter that can measure volts and current at the same time without needing any probes, measures up to 1,000V in 1v steps. I wonder how long it will be before someone scales the system down to make it suitable for electronics use as well?

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/electrical-testers/t6-1000-electrical-tester.html?trck=t6#techspecs

There is a short video of it there as well.
I would worry it'd be very dependent on how you place the probe exactly, as Dave's videos of other current probes have shown.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #3332 on: November 03, 2017, 12:36:12 am »
Yes, it does indeed sound like about time to get a vacuum desoldering gun or station. Save the braid for more delicate work and/or SMD pad cleaning.
You can use the desoldering station / vacuum gun for SMD pad cleaning, leaves them nice and flat.

Indeed, i use the same method myself, I tin them with Rosin Core solder then slurp it off with the gun and voila, nice clean, shiny & flat pads!  :-+

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #3333 on: November 03, 2017, 04:11:19 am »
Thats certanly a quick way to get your multimeter count up quickly. I only have like 7 multimeters here...well and a keithley on the way...Well guess im in the right place.

Here's another.  :-DD

mnem
*Agitating-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3334 on: November 03, 2017, 06:11:58 am »

mnem
*Agitating-ily*

Oh yes the quality oozes from that one :-DD Probably literally once the plastic case catches fire and melts upon doing something on mains with it.

Tho one of those 7 multimeters is that cheap Aneng AN8008 that has been popular around the forums lately. I quite like it for a quick poke around, surprisingly accurate too. Tho my favorite is still the Keithley 2015.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #3335 on: November 03, 2017, 03:23:21 pm »
GAS health alert!
European TEA members should not look at the Buy/Sell forum thread with the used Rigol DM3058 Digital Multimeters for £240 each

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3336 on: November 03, 2017, 05:28:31 pm »
GAS health alert!
European TEA members should not look at the Buy/Sell forum thread with the used Rigol DM3058 Digital Multimeters for £240 each

Huh, saved, it's only a 5 1/2 Digit Multimeter*.  >:D

*- I'm not up to offend anyone. I have six 6 1/2 Digit Multimeters of four different types sitting here and that's the reason why I don't need another one with 5 1/2 Digits. I'm sometimes dreaming of 8 1/2 Digits but I won't get the OK of my finance minister..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3337 on: November 03, 2017, 05:33:41 pm »
I'm not sure I want to go near Rigol DMMs myself. Lots of reported fuckery with them.

Plus and I'm going against TEA here, I don't actually really need 5.5 digits  :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3338 on: November 03, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »

mnem
*Agitating-ily*

Oh yes the quality oozes from that one :-DD Probably literally once the plastic case catches fire and melts upon doing something on mains with it.

Tho one of those 7 multimeters is that cheap Aneng AN8008 that has been popular around the forums lately. I quite like it for a quick poke around, surprisingly accurate too. Tho my favorite is still the Keithley 2015.

There's a reason I refer to them as the "Little Red Box of Damifino". ;) They're still better than no meter at all, and really all you need for what I get them for - to give away at the flying field to noob RCers.

I have the Aneng AN8002 and 8008... aside from looking like something out of the bottom of a Cracker Jack box, they're pretty good little meters for low-voltage work. I have a Ragu 17B+ I got just because it was $9.99 and I had to see what actually came; like the AN8008 it has a few "amusing quirks" in the firmware, but there's a lot of meter in there and the fit & finish is amazing for the price. Not sure about the current price of $23-ish.

I like keeping a cheap meter or two around for those "I'm gonna do something stoopit" moments, so I'm not tempted to use a decent meter. ;)

mnem
*tzzzt*
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:05:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3339 on: November 03, 2017, 05:43:00 pm »
[..]
Plus and I'm going against TEA here, I don't actually really need 5.5 digits  :popcorn:

There's only one thing that's better then lots of Digits of resolution: MORE Digits of resolution.
Don't hesitate, come on over to the dark side of metrology! We take care of accuracy here also..  >:D   :popcorn:
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3340 on: November 03, 2017, 05:50:17 pm »
I refuse to be a voltnut :)

I'm currently working on being an edge-nut. Got myself a whole bag of SMD goodness from RS this morning to see if I can build something to measure rise time on my scope collection :D

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #3341 on: November 03, 2017, 06:07:33 pm »
Quote from: iainwhite on Today at 02:23:21 AM
GAS health alert!

Damn. I looked...

The following users thanked this post: iainwhite

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #3342 on: November 03, 2017, 06:43:35 pm »
I don't think they're dual measurement units, right? I could use one of those.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3343 on: November 03, 2017, 07:16:41 pm »
I refuse to be a voltnut :)

I'm currently working on being an edge-nut. Got myself a whole bag of SMD goodness from RS this morning to see if I can build something to measure rise time on my scope collection :D
Instead be a wavenut  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3344 on: November 03, 2017, 08:48:44 pm »

I guess I need more practice. I tend to have a teeny bit of leftovers. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3345 on: November 03, 2017, 08:52:33 pm »

Me either. I got 6.5-digit ones. :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3346 on: November 04, 2017, 04:38:43 pm »

mnem
 :-DD   :bullshit:
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:39:29 pm by mnementh »

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3347 on: November 04, 2017, 04:42:10 pm »

Only need five DMMs? Let's see here. With four power rails, that's four voltages, so four DMMs for that. Unless those four do simultaneous voltage and current (or alternating, if you don't mind relays clacking), you need four more DMMs. Then, you'll probably want to monitor one or two other locations in the device. Well, that's 10 so far. And it's not good to use your last meter because that's when you know you'll need one more. So, you need at least one or two spares. A dozen DMMs sounds pretty good despite having only two hands and eyes.

Excellent, I have successfully justified all my currently operational DMMs. :-DD

Sorry, I only stumbled upon this today. Maybe I'm in the clear? (Of course, those are not all ... they're about half the lot.)  :D

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3348 on: November 04, 2017, 04:55:56 pm »
Wow, that's quite a tower. What are the DMMs on the bottom? I can't quite make out the labeling on the front panel.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3349 on: November 04, 2017, 05:39:49 pm »
Wow, that's quite a tower. What are the DMMs on the bottom? I can't quite make out the labeling on the front panel.

They're Solartron 7150.

And after I've finally got my DC505A working again (see repair thread), I eventually started the work on the 3458A with its NVRAM problem. Desoldering 'em proved to be far more problematic than I thought (after having had so much fun with my new desoldering gun). I couldn't make the tip transfer enough heat to the tiny pads (there's enough space, why did they have to make them so small?). So I remembered what I read in the HP Bench Brief yesterday and tried with a manual sucker. This worked rather good (to my surprise). Put in sockets and read the cal ram with my newly acquired programmer (got it for this very job!). Comparing the data with what was read via GPIB a few weeks ago showed it to be identical. That I took as a good sign.  :phew:

I've put the cal ram back into the socket and added two 32k x 8 RAMs from my parts box to substite the DS1230s. Got an (expected) checksum error, but otherwise, the machine seems to work well.

Good thing I kept a few of those 256 kib RAMS.  :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf