Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18102985 times)

David D and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #22325 on: January 09, 2019, 03:47:30 am »
Oh - the myriad of hellish reactions such a move on my part would bring to the fore.

I'm going to have to go into hiding for three days for just reading that.

I might have a spare used Sig Gen you could buy her to make pretty patterns with on 'her' Oscilloscope before then :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #22326 on: January 09, 2019, 03:49:21 am »
I might have a spare used Sig Gen you could buy her to make pretty patterns with on 'her' Oscilloscope before then :-DD
"Why are you complaining I bought you an oscilloscope? It's a bloody expensive one too!"

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #22327 on: January 09, 2019, 04:59:48 am »
I pretty much ran out of reasons to buy multimeters for myself, so I simply started buying them for others. It feels good doing things for others. That some real alteaism. Proper charitea.

Not that we need reasons, mind.

*GROANNNNN...   tosses soggy ol' boots in Scram's general direction*

Good idea! Valentine's Day is coming, I could buy one for my wife.  :-DD

Good idea... getting a multimeter for your wife.    BAD idea... getting a multimeter "for" your wife. :scared:

You're not going to be happy until you can count the electrons going past one by one, are you?  :-DD

mnem
Volt-nuttery: Not just a job; an adventure.
Not just counting the electrons, but grading and numbering them as well.  >:D

What do you do with the ones that don't make the grade?  :-//

Could be a quick exercise....

I blame this guy...  :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22328 on: January 09, 2019, 05:50:44 am »
Now working on migrating the data off her old desktop... freaking 200GB iTunes folder over USB 2.0.  |O

At least the new one has USB 3.0 on it.  :-+

mnem
*Less than the sum of my printed parts*
ITunes is freaking slow regardless of USB2 or USB3 because it has so many files to album  :palm: And it is even slower to copy over to a NAS drive as well  :rant:

Not too bad... 4.5 hours out of the old machine, 40 minutes into the new machine @ 80-120MB/s according to File Exploder. Even found the license for her MS Office; had to DL the installer from M$ though. 2GB in the folder took about 40 seconds.

I have lots of folders queued up; still gonna be a while. Think I'll sleep on the rest. ;P

mnem
*Toddles off to ded*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #22329 on: January 09, 2019, 09:13:15 am »
Oh - the myriad of hellish reactions such a move on my part would bring to the fore.

I've got two more $20 Bunnings vouchers.  That's $40 worth.

Whaddya got?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #22330 on: January 09, 2019, 10:22:57 am »
I have a new toy on the way seems I contracted Siglenitis over the New Year. I am hoping the injection of an SDG2042X vaccine will put the disease into remission for at least a while or at least until the TEA fund recovers.  ;)

Given all being well my Feelcrud 30Meg Generator will be available later in the month. Unlike some of the other unfortunate purchasers mine has worked fine and has the floating power supply sorted and is a actually a good bit of kit (touch wood).
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22331 on: January 09, 2019, 10:34:55 am »

Whaddya got?
Use one on a set of these:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg2079445/#msg2079445
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22332 on: January 09, 2019, 10:44:33 am »
You're not going to be happy until you can count the electrons going past one by one, are you?  :-DD

mnem
Volt-nuttery: Not just a job; an adventure.
Not just counting the electrons, but grading and numbering them as well.  >:D

What do you do with the ones that don't make the grade?  :-//

mnem
Simples, you dump them to ground before they get to enter your equipment and wreck hell on it and fuber it once and for all, surprised you needed to ask  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22333 on: January 09, 2019, 11:04:24 am »
The problem is the TOS... you GIVE SOME MACHINE the right to listen to you... every minute of every day. The recordings are subject to subpoena, legally admissible in court. From there, a fuxxoring lawyer can have their way with you. Cuss out your kids, bitch at some POS politician on TV, say "I hate chinese" (food), it's all stored on someone else's server for fuckifyouknowhowlong.

It's bad enough they track you everywhere on the internet. Letting them add a physical location with the ability to eavesdrop at will to that datastream is just foolish, especially when you know just how easy it is for anybody from ICE snoopers to russian hackers to intercept that datastream.

Yes, in principle you have exactly the same thing with any mobile phone... but you can turn that OFF. There are a lot of safeguards being forced on phone manufacturers to make it so you have to opt-in to such services. Once you accept the TOS of a prepackaged surveillance device, you can't undo it. Even if you try, there's a record of you at some point accepting those terms which can always be used against you.

mnem
 :horse:

Its a bit late to be worried about that when in the UK alone it is claimed that 85% of adult population use or own a smartphone which will split into 2 camps of devices with precisely the same kind of surveillance device built-in taking the form either Siri or Google listening into your conversations and not even mention the many millions of Windows 10 users with Microsoft's "Cortana" also listening in and reporting back, and billions of CCTV cameras tracking us in the street, shops and public buildings, Big Brother is already upon us. Lets make it work a bit for us is my motto now  https://www.consultancy.uk/news/14113/uk-smartphone-penetration-continues-to-rise-to-85-of-adult-population :-DD :-DD :-DD

Edit.
In the US it is 95% with a cellphone and 77% with a smartphone, both of which are trackable and smartphones constantly listening in your conversations.  :palm: :scared: http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/mobile/

What about all the tablets running either Android or OS??

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:13:35 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22334 on: January 09, 2019, 04:54:24 pm »

Whaddya got?
Use one on a set of these:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/what-did-you-buy-today-post-your-latest-purchase!/msg2079445/#msg2079445

Here's a good link... eevBlog was having a random bit of PMS and broke yours.  ::)

Tried to do the same to me too, but I cheerfully thwarted the little gremlins...  >:D *cackles out loud*

The problem is the TOS... you GIVE SOME MACHINE the right to listen to you... every minute of every day. The recordings are subject to subpoena, legally admissible in court. From there, a fuxxoring lawyer can have their way with you. Cuss out your kids, bitch at some POS politician on TV, say "I hate chinese" (food), it's all stored on someone else's server for fuckifyouknowhowlong.

It's bad enough they track you everywhere on the internet. Letting them add a physical location with the ability to eavesdrop at will to that datastream is just foolish, especially when you know just how easy it is for anybody from ICE snoopers to russian hackers to intercept that datastream.

Yes, in principle you have exactly the same thing with any mobile phone... but you can turn that OFF. There are a lot of safeguards being forced on phone manufacturers to make it so you have to opt-in to such services. Once you accept the TOS of a prepackaged surveillance device, you can't undo it. Even if you try, there's a record of you at some point accepting those terms which can always be used against you.

mnem
Its a bit late to be worried about that when in the UK alone it is claimed that 85% of adult population use or own a smartphone which will split into 2 camps of devices with precisely the same kind of surveillance device built-in taking the form either Siri or Google listening into your conversations and not even mention the many millions of Windows 10 users with Microsoft's "Cortana" also listening in and reporting back, and billions of CCTV cameras tracking us in the street, shops and public buildings, Big Brother is already upon us. Lets make it work a bit for us is my motto now  https://www.consultancy.uk/news/14113/uk-smartphone-penetration-continues-to-rise-to-85-of-adult-population :-DD :-DD :-DD

Edit.
In the US it is 95% with a cellphone and 77% with a smartphone, both of which are trackable and smartphones constantly listening in your conversations.  :palm: :scared: http://www.pewinternet.org/fact-sheet/mobile/

What about all the tablets running either Android or OS??

That's all just another facet of the same old "Everybody else is doing it" argument; making an excuse for not bothering, and I really expected better of you. ;)

We're talking about the difference between "Can they possibly fuck me" vs "Plastering a FUCK ME! sign on your back and volunteering to grab your ankles with a cheerful 'Here's some butter to go widdat!' ".

You can't function in today's world without a PC AND smartphone-type device. There are a lot of things you CAN do to make it so corporate entities HAVE TO BREAK THE LAW to surveill you. You CAN disable Cortana. You can disable MS accounts and use only local accounts on your PC/tablet/phone.  ::) You can NOT leave cameras/microphones plugged into a PC that faces the internet. You can opt out of all those "services" on your phone and PC that make YOU the product. You can stop using moron-magnets like FuckBook, Poonterest and Twit; they're just a massive timesink anyways. You can flush Chrome down the toilet. Don't share your fucking phone number on the inTardNet.  :palm: Hint: If it's a "Social Networking" service, YOU are the product. And YOUR TIME is the currency of the domain.

Of course there's always a way "they" can break into your device. That's completely different from willingly allowing your device to broadcast surveillance  directly to the internet. If we DON'T keep pressuring them to make these changes, NOTHING will change. The only way to apply that pressure is to demand those options, and USE them.

To do that, you have to use the essential products of the modern world, even if they're flawed.

Being privacy-savvy is part of the "cost of entry" into the modern world. That requires being constantly vigilant against, and not using, "services and devices" that are non-essential, and it requires locking down truly essential services as much as you can. It also requires that you be arsed to educate yourself on the difference.

mnem

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:07:07 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22335 on: January 09, 2019, 04:58:30 pm »
Hear, hear  :-+

Keeping it TEA, I just ordered way too much stuff so I can build a step attenuator. Also got some brass sheet (a lot of it!) for small metalwork things like shields.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22336 on: January 09, 2019, 05:04:18 pm »
SQWEEEEE!

Sheet brass... *drool*

mnem
I forgot to put something pithy down here.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:07:36 pm by mnementh »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #22337 on: January 09, 2019, 05:13:29 pm »
Sheet brass... *drool*

Go along to a local "model engineering" exhibition, andexpect to salivate uncontrollably. There will be some stalls with bigger and smaller lumps, shapes and sheets of brass - and other metals and plastics.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22338 on: January 09, 2019, 05:16:28 pm »
Yeah. I used to go to the Model Engineering Exhibition in Olympia in the 80s and early 90s until it stopped.

They started it again here a while back: https://www.londonmodelengineering.co.uk/ (weekend after next no less and near my mother's house - hmmmmmm sneaky visit perhaps  :-DD)

Whole thing gave me a hankering for a Unimat 3. Which would result in lots of better quality enclosures and hardware for my electronic creations. Cut FR4, Takachi boxes and recycled crap just doesn't do it sometimes.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22339 on: January 09, 2019, 05:33:45 pm »
Decades ahead of you, my friends... and already irreversibly contaminated.  ;)

I grew up within walking distance of AB Charles & Sons; once one of the best-rated hobby shops on the Eastern seaboard, and a premiere model-railroading mecca for over 40 years. They kept everything in the Plastruct, K&S, Gilbert and DuBro catalogs in stock, and they had a whole section devoted to miniature machining & watchmaking supplies as well. They served the hard-core train people making scale steam locomotives that ran on alcohol and vegetable oil.  :clap:

Within the walls of their Liberty Ave location now long gone, I was infected with slot-car fever (they operated two 16-slot tracks in the basement; 1/32 & 1/24 scale), RC car/aircraft building/racing and D&D, and dabbled in miniatures and even my own lead-casting in workshops they held.

mnem
*mnemories*

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:38:39 pm by mnementh »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22340 on: January 09, 2019, 05:40:34 pm »
washing is done, it looks much better now. Found that for 10,-€

"When I grow up, I wanna be a Fluke." :-DD

Hey bean -

You were right about not needing hairspray. Now I got the bed temp set at 70°C, it preheats to ~60°C measured on the surface of the glass in ~3-5 minutes. After an hour or so of printing, it'll creep up and measure right on 70°C. I'm on number 7 now; once the glass cools a few minutes, part pops off by itself and then just a quick scrape with a razor and wipe with a paper napkin.

mnem
Number 7... number 7... number 7...

the next restoration is a 8500A  :)
Picture: Mini-Multimeter on 8300A
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 05:44:52 pm by Martin.M »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22341 on: January 09, 2019, 05:44:57 pm »
 :-DD

You got me.

How about a pic with it next to one of your teeny-weeny Teks, as tautech requested? I can squeal in delight along with him...  ;)

mnem
 :-DMM

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22342 on: January 09, 2019, 06:01:05 pm »
except the Tek 213, it don`t like seperate multimeters...

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22343 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:03 pm »
Pish-posh!

Put them alone together in a closet for a few days; they'll hate-f**k and you might get a teeny-tiny little freq counter as the whelp... or even a pocket SA!  :-DD

mnem
You all thought it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:08:13 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22344 on: January 09, 2019, 06:06:40 pm »
Whole thing gave me a hankering for a Unimat 3...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323632400372 $943 OBO

A little on the high side, I'm afraid... considering no chucks for either the headstock or the mill or collets/holders. And a damaged pulley, which could be brazed/welded and re-turned, or just live with it maybe eating belts.

Does make looking at a new Grizzly feel a little less painful, tho. ;)

mnem
*Turned inside-out*

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #22345 on: January 09, 2019, 06:07:54 pm »
except the Tek 213, it don`t like seperate multimeters...
That's funny, not what I would've liked to see but funny nonetheless.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22346 on: January 09, 2019, 06:13:48 pm »
..you might get a teeny-tiny little freq counter

I will look if there is one in the collection.
greetings
Martin

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22347 on: January 09, 2019, 06:20:59 pm »
Found it  :)

500MHz frequency counter from microwave modules

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22348 on: January 09, 2019, 06:23:38 pm »
My father had one of those counters. Think it is in my mother's house still somewhere in all the boxes of shite. Need to go through them. I actually have the service manual link on hand. Nice little device from what I remember of it. http://g4fre.com/mmd050_500.zip

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #22349 on: January 09, 2019, 06:47:18 pm »
what´s about dust sucker restoration?   :)

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf