Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18250995 times)

onsokumaru and 68 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #136725 on: September 17, 2024, 11:22:18 am »
I have a working HP437B meter with a working head. And a broken head too.

Perhaps I'll ping you one day to rent it when I have the time to look into it ;-)

I dont suppose you have any those TTi CPX400D for spare parts. I got one from work that was dropped (they were going to ewaste it), but its going to be a difficult to repair as one of the components broken is a transformer from on one of the SMPS boards inside.

Not right now. I haven't checked all of them. If one turns out to be a dud, I'll let you know.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #136726 on: September 17, 2024, 06:01:35 pm »
Recent purchase off local Craig's List. Keithley 175 DMM. My first Keithley. I have plenty of units from the other "big 3" in the US (Tek, Fluke, hp) so this will round out my collection.

As purchased. In VG condition and works in all functions.

Internal view.

Performed my usual exorcism of all electrolytics and tants.

Internal after re-cap.

Performed calibration of DCV and Ohms and it was within spec on all ranges. No adjustments required. I don't have precision ACV sources other than 1.00V so that's all that was checked.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, ch_scr, Zoli, m k, onsokumaru

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136727 on: September 17, 2024, 08:13:49 pm »
More stuff to go fix: two E4418B RF power meters managed to sneak into my ham shack. One HP branded, the other Agilent branded.

Something to work on now the autumn is closing in..

These have a lithium backup battery that should be replaced.

Be careful though! Extract or take notes of all the revision details before removing the battery, as it will be lost.
It's no big deal though as it is simple to reprogram, as per this Keysight guide, as long as you took notes or photos of the data.

https://docs.keysight.com/kkbopen/how-can-the-e4416a-e4417a-e4418a-epm441a-e4418b-e4419a-epm442a-e4419b-memory-be-erased-for-security-purposes-588277960.html

I also have a 437B, and my 8481A sensor and cable are cross compatible with my E4418B.
Not sure if my E8482A sensor is compatible with the 437B though..

Well, both were sort-a in bits and some previous owner had removed both batteries  :-//

The Agilent powered up once I installed a replacement Li cell. The HP was a bit more temperamental: it powered up, or not, without a real pattern. In the mean time both have decided to consistently *not* powerup.  :wtf:

I need to go sit down and check out this stuff. These models have a bit of a reputation for power up issues.

Oh, and to add insult to injury: both ran successful self tests initiated from the front panel. That is, when they still powered up  :horse:

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136728 on: September 17, 2024, 08:26:26 pm »
I did an investigation into this issue when it happened to my instrument: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/(mended)-ep4418b-power-meter-doesnt-turn-on/msg3991700/#msg3991700

I believe the industrious Chinese have made replacement keypad PCBs available. But it looks like a tricky job to fit

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136729 on: September 17, 2024, 09:55:59 pm »
Took a close look at the sensor connector/flex wire assembly of the Agilent one. Looked like a war zone, essentially all pin soldering was loose/horrible/disgusting  :palm: :palm:. No wonder that while it did powerup/run it displayed "No sensor connected"  :-//

Pictures are clear I suppose.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #136730 on: September 18, 2024, 08:56:19 am »
More stuff to go fix: two E4418B RF power meters managed to sneak into my ham shack. One HP branded, the other Agilent branded.

Be careful though! Extract or take notes of all the revision details before removing the battery, as it will be lost.
It's no big deal though as it is simple to reprogram, as per this Keysight guide, as long as you took notes or photos of the data.

https://docs.keysight.com/kkbopen/how-can-the-e4416a-e4417a-e4418a-epm441a-e4418b-e4419a-epm442a-e4419b-memory-be-erased-for-security-purposes-588277960.html

I also have a 437B, and my 8481A sensor and cable are cross compatible with my E4418B.

Well, both were sort-a in bits and some previous owner had removed both batteries  :-//

The Agilent powered up once I installed a replacement Li cell. The HP was a bit more temperamental: it powered up, or not, without a real pattern. In the mean time both have decided to consistently *not* powerup.  :wtf:

I need to go sit down and check out this stuff. These models have a bit of a reputation for power up issues.

Oh, and to add insult to injury: both ran successful self tests initiated from the front panel. That is, when they still powered up  :horse:

Theese do have issues with the front panel button mylar wearing out, especially the power button that causes the unit to not turn on.
Take a look at the schematics available online and you can see the connector to the front panel where you can jumper two pins to manually turn it on to check the rest of the unit works.
The mylar in mine needed replacement, but they are available cheap from ebay so no big deal.

There is a trick to dissassembling the front panel so hit me up when you are ready and I'll run you through the process.
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136731 on: September 18, 2024, 11:07:48 am »
I guess name change doesn't help much with those solderings.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136732 on: September 18, 2024, 12:27:05 pm »
Well, yes and no.

The HP-branded unit appears to have a different connector style but the same flex wire.

The HP version is a 'solder cup' style, whereas the Agilent has pins as shown on the previous picture. The holes in the flex are in my personal opinion too wide compared to the pin diameter. This makes for less than optimal soldering (at best).

That said, I assume (hope...) that the soldering shown is not HP factory standard soldering but some ill-fated repair attempt. Meanwhile I removed the mess, cleaned the flex and resoldered everything using proper leaded solder. Not that RoHS unleaded rubbish  >:D

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136733 on: September 18, 2024, 12:35:28 pm »
Like this.

nb: The unsoldered pin does not appear to have had a trace attached, so no worries

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, TERRA Operative

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136734 on: September 18, 2024, 12:38:59 pm »

Theese do have issues with the front panel button mylar wearing out, especially the power button that causes the unit to not turn on.
Take a look at the schematics available online and you can see the connector to the front panel where you can jumper two pins to manually turn it on to check the rest of the unit works.
The mylar in mine needed replacement, but they are available cheap from ebay so no big deal.

There is a trick to dissassembling the front panel so hit me up when you are ready and I'll run you through the process.

Thanks for the offer.  I do not currently think it is the keypad, as it worked flawlessly, very responsive to gentle pushes etc. Smells like "something else", the question of course being "but WHAT."

Offline salvagedcircuitry

• Regular Contributor
  • Electrical Engineer | Hobbyist | Camera Enthusiast
    • salvagedcircuitry
« Reply #136735 on: September 18, 2024, 02:54:32 pm »
Upgrading the cooling in my TTI tga1244 / wavetek 195 / Fluke 284-U. replaced the cmos batt while I was in there for good measure. Stock configuration uses a sunon 80mm 2.4w ball bearing 41cfm fan. There's enough room to squeeze a 92mm fan in there so I grabbed my hand punch and made some holes. Look ma, no metal filings :D I'm installing a sleeve / maglev fan as a replacement. Now I should be able to use it while filming. Yay.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, factory

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136736 on: September 18, 2024, 08:57:41 pm »
Well, yes and no.

The HP-branded unit appears to have a different connector style but the same flex wire.

The HP version is a 'solder cup' style, whereas the Agilent has pins as shown on the previous picture. The holes in the flex are in my personal opinion too wide compared to the pin diameter. This makes for less than optimal soldering (at best).

That said, I assume (hope...) that the soldering shown is not HP factory standard soldering but some ill-fated repair attempt. Meanwhile I removed the mess, cleaned the flex and resoldered everything using proper leaded solder. Not that RoHS unleaded rubbish  >:D

The HP looks different, the soldering looked OK. Of course I could not resist removing old solder/resoldering.

Online onsokumaru

• Contributor
« Reply #136737 on: September 19, 2024, 07:30:59 am »
Ok, next one in the pack was this Tek 11401. What blew my mind is how good the touch CRT works! :-+
It has three modules mounted, and they look like high end stuff for the time. I couldn't put any proper signal on the scope yet, but looks promising.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Vince, wolfy007, factory

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136738 on: September 19, 2024, 03:47:07 pm »
Wow that's quite a rare sight even on here !  Welcome to the club, have a 11401 as well. Different plug-ins : two dual input amps + an advanced triggering plug-in that includes TV trigger options.
Scope works perfectly but whenever it decides to start misbehaving, it will be the end for him... this beast is so complicated (with no proper service manual to boot) that I just wouldn't be able to fix it. So I enjoy it while it works, crossing fingers it will stay working for as long as possible....

The CRT touch-screen works really well because.. well it's not really a "touch" screen. There is a grid/matrix of infra-red LEDs in front of the CRT.
You don't actually need to even touch the CRT to activate it, try it : approach your finger super slowly.. you will see the screen activate before your finger even contacts the CRT...

« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 08:41:25 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: factory, onsokumaru

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #136739 on: September 20, 2024, 07:17:23 am »

Guess who got burned?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #136740 on: September 20, 2024, 07:25:52 am »
Guess who got burned?
The guy that didn't take the time to download the datasheet and check what packages were available.

Don't ask....  ;)  :-[
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136741 on: September 21, 2024, 07:55:49 pm »
How many times you've forgotten something from an order, in a row.

This 8860A Multimeter from the loot is also working

What kind of a bottom MCU it has?

You see it when you remove the inner cover plate.

I may have a solution if somebody has that MCU problems, if I can have the faulty one, possibly more if it includes a piggypack ROM.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136742 on: September 21, 2024, 08:01:39 pm »
Followup to the Agilent E4418B saga:

Apart from the half-baked soldering on the sensor connector I reported earlier it seems to have more issues which I am addressing one by one:

I had a broken 74HC14 hex inverter in there which is part of the power on/off circuit. Essentially it had turned into a non-inverting inverter.  :-//  Never had that before. The power switch circuitry IMHO is far more complicated than it needs to be but ok.. Apart from the fubared inverter chip I had to modify the circuit a bit following the approach I found here on an EEVblog posting.

Result sofar: it now reliably powers on, passes all self tests, detects a sensor.  :-+ But it sofar refuses to Zero a known-good sensor.

I need to re-enter hardware rev and option info too.

More debugging to do..

The following users thanked this post: Vince, nfmax, ch_scr

Offline 44kgk1lkf6u

• Contributor
« Reply #136743 on: September 23, 2024, 04:07:31 am »
What is a non-inverting inverter?  Is it an ordinary buffer?  Or is it what engineers call the Signetics don't gate?

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #136744 on: September 23, 2024, 05:34:23 am »
What is a non-inverting inverter?
It's a defective IC.

The following users thanked this post: wkb

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136745 on: September 23, 2024, 06:15:05 am »
What is a non-inverting inverter?  Is it an ordinary buffer?  Or is it what engineers call the Signetics don't gate?

It is from the Illogical IC family of which for example the Exclusive Maybe Gate and the Never Gate are also members.

In other words "Its dead Jim".

The following users thanked this post: unseenninja

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136746 on: September 23, 2024, 08:11:49 am »

Something similar to the bidirectional diodes I have maybe?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline dl6lr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136747 on: September 23, 2024, 10:53:20 am »
I can supply a TTL compatible zener-capacitor for your amusement. It measures absolutely fine on most capacitor and ESR testers (up to 5V). Borrowed from a non-working horizontal deflection circuit in my Tek logic analyser.

Offline EggertEnjoyer123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136748 on: September 24, 2024, 02:08:35 am »
I swapped the hard drive with one of those SD to IDE adapters on my Lecroy 7200A and the scope now gets further during boot.

Unfortunately it seems like I need a computer from the 90s to be able to create bootable floppies for the scope.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 02:20:39 am by EggertEnjoyer123 »

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136749 on: September 24, 2024, 07:32:33 am »
You might also need the right version of DOS.
I keep a small collection of old PC's just for this type of thing. Did a bit of R&S kit a couple of years ago. While I had the installation software it installed a bootloader and would only run if the HDD was formatted and booted from MS-DOS 6.2. Not windoze FreeDos or anything else. Fortunatly I also have a collecton of old operating systems..... 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf