Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 17715832 times)

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #136525 on: July 26, 2024, 10:29:28 pm »
Ah yes, a classic UK house with slate tiled roof. I knocked my head often enough against ceilings in those to see your point. :-//

I am 5'3"/1.57m.

I remember looking at one house where I had to duck when going between rooms.

I have a relative who has to duck and avoid pendant light fittings in every house.

Uh ouch 🥺 1.84m 'on me socks' here. That is why the Dutch are thick skulled, its a Darwin thing 😇

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #136526 on: July 27, 2024, 09:20:33 am »
Got a few duds here  >:( Not impressed.

Are you selling them for pocket change?

They're in the "I'm sure I'll get round to fixing them one day" pile.

Tell you what, though. I think I have four. Would you care for a "fix 2 or 3 and get the 4th one for free" kind off deal?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #136527 on: July 27, 2024, 09:23:47 am »
Ah yes, a classic UK house with slate tiled roof. I knocked my head often enough against ceilings in those to see your point. :-//

I am 5'3"/1.57m.

I have a relative who has to duck and avoid pendant light fittings in every house.

Uh ouch 🥺 1.84m 'on me socks' here. That is why the Dutch are thick skulled, its a Darwin thing 😇

You'd think it would be easier to evolve towards building higher bloody ceilings. I'm 1.82m and I don't bump my head on things due to having actual spatial awareness, regardless of my Dutch ancestry
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #136528 on: July 27, 2024, 10:11:38 am »

I am 5'3"/1.57m.

You'd think it would be easier to evolve towards building higher bloody ceilings. I'm 1.82m and I don't bump my head on things due to having actual spatial awareness, regardless of my Dutch ancestry

Clearly houses are evolving the other way. Many older houses have very high ceilings in the rooms used to entertain visitors (servant's quarters less so).

There may, of course, be a degree of survivorship bias in that observation - old cheap proletariat homes have been bullzozed :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136529 on: July 27, 2024, 10:26:35 am »
actually we do, Dutch building regulations demand, e.g. for doors >= 210 cm, ceilings are >= 230cm. Older buildings however..

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136530 on: July 27, 2024, 01:37:55 pm »
Saved one MX20 out of three, it has to be one of my nuttiest repairs in a long time, besides the patchwork the NJU2907F needed reflowing because of intermittent loss of display.

I tried saving a second one but both remaining NJU2907's were dead, one showing overload all the time the other loosing LCD voltage within seconds of power-up. I may give it a second try at some point but these IC's are only selling in pairs in Ali and I don't want two.

It wasn't worth the bother but I'm always pleased to get the last word and save something from the bin.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, factory, m k

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136531 on: July 27, 2024, 05:57:14 pm »
I thought that finally I got a decent battery charger, bought it through epay.
It's still without newer chemistries, but that can wait.
Seller messed with his side of shipping, he said he finally paid over a double of what my buyer listing had.
My impression is that he's legit, maybe he selected some wrong options.
Any insights of those selections?

It's a Voltcraft in plastic case and accepting many size of batteries.
But one mechanical issue, it has a heavy toroid transformer, compared to structural endurance of the plastic case.
It's also double protected, so of course trafo fastening bolt is molded inside a plastic case structure.
Top cover has nothing for the top of the bolt either.

DHL delivered.
If memory serves Eaton Power has prohibited air transport, I guess many others have done the same for stuff with heavy unbalanced internal parts.

Its display has also lost its charge indications, except voltage.
Voltage direction is always the same but current changes, discharge side has no problems.
Maybe there is a second MCU pin for display stuff, something like a sense circuit, actual charging has no problems.
When charging 18V power pack with 500mA the display had 4mA, at some point the current hopped to 1A, then display had 8mA.
When charging 72Ah start battery the current was 0.0 even when external meter had few amps, but it was some sort of a load level check and charge became ready after a short moment.
The start battery was discharged using the same device before recharging, maybe it's for active storage level check and reload only.

Conrad is selling a management software for few euros, but shipping is around 10x.
Maybe they can send me an ISO and destroy one CD, what.

One other thing,
I've many times wondered that I should build this and that.
Almost equally many times I've finally bought something instead.
Maybe there is a silver lining in search that can't do actual properties or design styles.
Wider comb bring up many things.

And a final BTW,
Those TI led circuit chips are quite warm when in use.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

The following users thanked this post: factory

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136532 on: July 27, 2024, 06:03:46 pm »

Tell you what, though. I think I have four. Would you care for a "fix 2 or 3 and get the 4th one for free" kind off deal?

Similar or different types of problems?
Similar means that probability for same parts failing is higher.

Any idea how much very difficult to find stuff they have?
Much means that only very few can be easily fixed and you may just support some rubber wheels.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136533 on: July 28, 2024, 10:14:01 am »
Any Frenchies interested in a BBC / Avo with possibly Fluke test leads for 20€:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/ad/bricolage/2797414307
No affiliation.

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136534 on: July 28, 2024, 12:54:37 pm »
Autocollimator update.
The missing lamp is a 4V 0.5A MES. Nothing special. I ordered a "star" 3W green LED  https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/products/green-3w-star-high-power-led-150lm-140?
That arrived yesterday. Total overkill on power but running at a few 10's of mA gives a really bright image and no worries about heat dissipation. The wide angle easily fills the target graticule diffuser. I trimmed the soft aluminium backing disk to fit in the housing. It's helt with a bit of milliput epoxy putty. Adequate to hold it but can be removed if required.
The monochromatic green light means no chromatic abberations and a really nice sharp image of the measuring graticule
Set it up with a normal mirror last night and unfortunatly no sign of the target graticule image :(

So this morning I visited my storage unit and looked in BIN 78 "Filters & Mirrors". Yes, my storage is that organised. About 100 Really Useful Boxes numbered, photographed and generally described. BIN 78 is near the door so no "bin tetris". So I grabbed a couple of proper optically flat front surface mirrors. Set up agian this afternoon, just a quick check and a nice target reflection :)  Basically the normal glass mirror is so un-flat that it won't resolve the cross hairs. You need something flat to a fraction of a wavelength, <100nm for green light.
Now I need to get it set up on my granite surface plate and do some proper tests. While I can use V blocks for now I need to make up a proper adjustable mount for it. Boring the supports is one of those jobs on the lathe that lake 5 minutes to do but probably an hour to setup. I'll use two plates with the outline already milled and bore them together. This means the exact position in the plate does not not have to be too precise. I've a big bit of aluminium plate that was the base of a large Nd-YAG laser that might be suitable material. Hacking it up might be a bit of a pain though.
I'm also looking at setting up a monochrome CCD camera on the eypiece so I don't have to bend down... BIN 72 "CCTV" had a nice small Hitachi industrial camera  with 1/2" sensor that should be ideal.

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, shakalnokturn, duckduck

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136536 on: July 29, 2024, 05:07:34 pm »
I've also posted this in the Buy/Sell/Wanted section, but this is worth posting here too as a PSA.

I've had a bad ebay experience with a UK ebay seller named jules18999

They listed a parts only Fluke 8125A for £60 BIN + £15 shipping, which is upper end but not top price. After a little umming and ahhing, I bought it.

A few minutes later I saw they listed another one, also parts only, for £400, which is way over the odds. Naturally my spidey senses start tingling at this, and sure enough, a short while later I got a message from the seller:

"Hi xxxxx, there’s been an error in the listing, my daughter made a mistake and listed the wrong item.
I paid far more for the item she listed, really sorry and would you accept a refund in full?"

To which I replied:
"Dear xxxxx,
While I can't stop you from cancelling the sale, I made the purchase in good faith, and I have to say, at the market price for these items, when they are "parts only".
As far as I am concerned, the ball is firmly in your court at this point."

They replied:
"Hi xxxxx , the mistake was made in good faith and I have never ever cancelled a sale before.
Im not happy about having to do this but i have to provide for my family and things are very hard at the moment.
Best regards."

They subsequently cancelled the sale using the reason "out of stock". I've given them the feedback they deserve on ebay, and am waiting to see if they relist it.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #136537 on: July 29, 2024, 05:34:53 pm »

Similar or different types of problems?
Similar means that probability for same parts failing is higher.

Any idea how much very difficult to find stuff they have?
Much means that only very few can be easily fixed and you may just support some rubber wheels.

I honnestly don't remember. Ill have a look tomorrow. But don't expect too many details, investigating the failure mode would kinda defeat the notion of making my shit your challenge making such an awesome proposal to you.

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136538 on: July 29, 2024, 05:53:42 pm »
If you don't mind sharing your wealth around shipping companies I don't mind taking them as they are.

E,
PM sent.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 06:09:16 pm by m k »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136539 on: July 29, 2024, 07:13:17 pm »
I've also posted this in the Buy/Sell/Wanted section, but this is worth posting here too as a PSA.

They listed a parts only Fluke 8125A for £60 BIN + £15 shipping, which is upper end but not top price. After a little umming and ahhing, I bought it.

A few minutes later I saw they listed another one, also parts only, for £400, which is way over the odds. Naturally my spidey senses start tingling at this, and sure enough, a short while later I got a message from the seller:

"Hi xxxxx, there’s been an error in the listing, my daughter made a mistake and listed the wrong item.
I paid far more for the item she listed, really sorry and would you accept a refund in full?"

To which I replied:
"Dear xxxxx,
While I can't stop you from cancelling the sale, I made the purchase in good faith, and I have to say, at the market price for these items, when they are "parts only".

They replied:
"Hi xxxxx , the mistake was made in good faith and I have never ever cancelled a sale before.
Im not happy about having to do this but i have to provide for my family and things are very hard at the moment.
Best regards."

They subsequently cancelled the sale using the reason "out of stock". I've given them the feedback they deserve on ebay, and am waiting to see if they relist it.

£400 is a stupid price for parts/untested & missing power lead and possibility of mass corrosion from internal Ni-Cruds. But most sellers seem greedy these days, on the other hand if they price too low, the ePay breakers buy them up & destroy them.

The seller shows two of them in one picture, out of stock !! really, whats that I can smell?.  :bullshit:

David
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 07:18:35 pm by factory »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136540 on: July 29, 2024, 09:13:37 pm »

To which I replied:
"Dear xxxxx,

They replied:
Best regards."

£400?! Without the mains lead with the special comnector?

Clearly I sold mine too cheaply :)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/fluke-8125a-military-dmm-teardown/msg2540730/#msg2540730
« Last Edit: July 29, 2024, 09:17:44 pm by tggzzz »
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136541 on: July 30, 2024, 05:23:01 am »
Yeah, even working they don't get anywhere near £400. For a parts only the closing price is £60-80 shipped in recent times, so this person is clearly deluded.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136542 on: July 30, 2024, 08:19:47 am »
Yeah, even working they don't get anywhere near £400. For a parts only the closing price is £60-80 shipped in recent times, so this person is clearly deluded.

Probably deluded, but there might be an equally deluded/desperate buyer. And there's the old concept of "if something doesn't sell, increase the price to make it look more desirable".

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #136543 on: July 30, 2024, 05:58:12 pm »
Data I/O 2900 Programmer. Always wanted to play with one.

Offline KG7AMV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Rhine_Labs
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #136544 on: July 31, 2024, 01:26:09 am »
I spent a lot the last month..

Two Vintage Data I/O 29B Programmers.

Offline Squarewave

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136545 on: August 01, 2024, 06:09:04 pm »
Ok, so work are getting rid of some old scopes, one of which is a Tektronix TDS320 plus a Thurlby Thandar TA4000 logic analyser........

Must try and resist the temptation, but TEA vibes are happening  :-\

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #136546 on: August 02, 2024, 05:07:17 pm »
this is a field strength meter by R&S  :)
I have enough to do now ..

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr, factory, duckduck, m k

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136547 on: August 02, 2024, 08:56:02 pm »
A new arrival from the well known wallet draining website, something once used by Keithley for demonstrations  :o, before being abused by students.

We don't need a "sticker test machine" operated by someone that has been qualified by a 30 minute PowerPoint/slideshow presentation, to work out that this power cord & fuse holder are in mint condition & ready to go ..... :-DD

David
« Last Edit: August 02, 2024, 09:00:21 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, shakalnokturn, duckduck, m k

Online wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #136548 on: August 02, 2024, 09:55:52 pm »
this is a field strength meter by R&S  :)
I have enough to do now ..

Why do I feel an urge to attach a sticker on the front "Feind hört mit"  :-//

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #136549 on: August 03, 2024, 02:51:25 pm »
power cord & fuse holder are in mint condition & ready to go ..... :-DD

One must wonder how they chewed the grounding short.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf