Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16480027 times)

MVSantos, Robert763 and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #130900 on: August 31, 2022, 07:22:41 pm »
Nothing sophisticated at all, but what this chip is :-// Did not search for it though.

https://www.jotrin.com/product/parts/CAT702_103090_00203

But one needs a login for downloading the datasheet.

I have a login there, there is no data-sheet, it's a trap  :scared:

Thanks for the warning.
utsource is a reputable source (I've ordered once from them) and they have them in stock, but no datasheet available:
https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/1526395.html
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130901 on: August 31, 2022, 07:40:46 pm »
Nothing sophisticated at all, but what this chip is :-// Did not search for it though.

I have a login there, there is no data-sheet, it's a trap  :scared:

Thanks for the warning.
utsource is a reputable source (I've ordered once from them) and they have them in stock, but no datasheet available:
https://www.utsource.net/itm/p/1526395.html

Nobody ever will be able to program it, but we have a tough guy that can crack it with debug.exe  :palm:.
I did it ca. 26 yrs ago with more advanced tools, and it took weeks, those guys used state of the art anti-cracking measures at the  time and the code was done with the latest and greatest Watcom C 386 in protected mode, Turbo Debugger 386 was not even capable of understanding it.

That was on Fravia's time and I was a bit more anarchistic  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Peter_O

Offline HenryFeng

« Reply #130902 on: August 31, 2022, 07:48:05 pm »
Normally it should be easy to open and check the contents. It is not like a RSA SecurID that is rendered inoperable after opening, it wasn't that advanced back in the 90s.

Had to sit out a thunder storm that was not forecasted but came anyway, and then all things get unplugged.

Indeed the dongle is only held together by friction of four pins. With a thin blade it was easy to pry open :)

I think you are getting close, it's most likely just a PAL or GAL device implemented some simple logic gates. probably doesn't event have any flip-flops.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130903 on: August 31, 2022, 07:51:29 pm »
Nobody ever will be able to program it, but we have a tough guy that can crack it with debug.exe  :palm:.

That's not fair, I clarified in the other thread what I was referring to. But I'm still sure it can be cracked  >:D
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130904 on: August 31, 2022, 08:10:47 pm »
Edit: Some feel this is off topic here, so I created a thread in the vintage computing section. We can continue it there if wanted or needed: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/vintage-computing/orcad-for-msdos/new/#new

Are you kidding ? You got complaints via MP ?

Wow if THIS is OT.... then boy, to the jury out there in the sky, I sincerely apologize for the 3000 posts I made here in the past 18 months !

I now realize it was all OT BS spam that had no business being posted here.

I apologize to all the silent members who have had to endure my posts for all that time. I truly am sorry.

I was about to post about my Rochar Nixie DVM restoration but I won't because hell I wouldn't want to offend anyone. Maybe someone will complain because it's old junk, or because it's French so unknown to them and being French it's junk factorial !3 to begin with, it's no USA made HP or Tektronix.. Or maybe if I write more than two lines about it someone will complain that I write too much, because their twitter / facebook brain can't process more than a handful of signs.

I would hate to offend anyone so I guess the only sure way to avoid that from happening, is simply to refrain from posting about anything altogether.

Again I am sorry for my passage on TEA and all the suffering that caused to god knows how many people, I am scared now when I try to picture the extent of the damage I did to the TEA "brand".

I hope my disappearance will allow those people to heal eventually, and post extremely interesting and perfectly on topic stuff of their own. I can't wait to see it all and click on the report button if it doesn't pass my own criteria.

Good riddance they say... yes, I agree.

Was fun while it lasted, but everything comes to an end eventually I guess....

Thanks however to the few people who were nice to me and even sent me stuff, I love you all my dear TEA buddies !  :-+
I just wish I could have stayed long enough to some day send YOU stuff as well, giving back not just taking !  :palm:
Well you can still stay in touch via MP or e-mail...

:-BROKE

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:16:19 pm by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130905 on: August 31, 2022, 08:13:04 pm »
This is kind of my last message regarding this in the TEA thread, I don't want to provoke a moderator intervention  :scared:, but only to dispel the misconception regarding the dongle, the Orcad366 at the time was considered strategic material, with export prohibition, under the mostly forgotten Cocom laws.

So the dongle was state of the art military grade shite, and the data inside was accessed via some pseudo-clock done on interrupts with sequences of commands and some kind encryption algorithm implementation. In the end we didn't fully crack the dongle protocol itself, but got lucky and found the addresses of "real" functions and what were the correct parameters. The dongle itself was only very short accessible to us, brought by someone over the night from some now long defunct company. Ah to be young at the beginning of '90ies  ;D with hopes and dreams, quickly shattered by real capitalism  :'(.

We've never distributed the fully cracked version, to the posers that pretended that they've fully cracked it we were asking about this or that menu and be met with silence and respect  :-DD.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, ch_scr, pcprogrammer

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130906 on: August 31, 2022, 08:16:43 pm »
@Vince - man are you really serious, wtf is happening here, I mean compared with the usual medical reports, "those stinky hobo hams" and the other stuff, your stuff was nice and refreshing in a beginners way, including the fridge timer and components sorting.

Please reconsider, don't let idiots win  :box: !!!

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Andy Watson, factory, Zoli, Peter_O, pcprogrammer

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #130907 on: August 31, 2022, 08:34:30 pm »

When I worked at STEIM in Amsterdam, there was a guy who looked into it and he made a cracked version of the software, but don't know how he did it. Might be that I still have it on a hard disk somewhere :)

Wow so it can be done ! Yeah do keep in touch, crossing fingers you can find that cracked version somewhere !  >:D

You guys remind me of some of my "sins" - I've cracked at least two "copy protected" softwares for Apple //e computers back in the days. Compared to todays "copy protection measures" and me being young and dedicated, it was just a piece of cake to crack these disks (5.25" floppies with some "modified" sectors). Could be easily defeated by finding the checks and special sector reading routines using the built-in disassembler, patching a few bytes and then copying the required date to "normal" sectors, iirc). Life was easy and successful back in the days  8) 8)

Edit: I also remember I had put some effort in de-dongling some MSDOS and/or early Windows SW using some creative methods to discover the accesses to the dongle while using some "debug.exe" alike. Anyway, since I neither remember what software that was, nor if I was successful in the end, one can easily conclude that it hasn't been that important to me. At least not as important as impressing the others in school when I did the Apple //e cracks ;)

BTW: DC1MC, nice to see you here again, and don't fear the moderation, I think they have got the message. If not, we should disappear from here.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:42:31 pm by capt bullshot »
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Neper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130908 on: August 31, 2022, 08:43:49 pm »
Again I am sorry for my passage on TEA and all the suffering that caused to god knows how many people, I am scared now when I try to picture the extent of the damage I did to the TEA "brand".

Bon sang, Vince, don't be such a drama queen...

Have a good night's sleep and tomorrow your little world will be fine again.  :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 08:47:03 pm by Neper »
If I knew everything I'd be starving because no-one could afford me.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130909 on: August 31, 2022, 08:52:59 pm »
Edit: I also remember I had put some effort in de-dongling some MSDOS and/or early Windows SW using some creative methods to discover the accesses to the dongle while using some "debug.exe" alike. Anyway, since I neither remember what software that was, nor if I was successful in the end, one can easily conclude that it hasn't been that important to me. At least not as important as impressing the others in school when I did the Apple //e cracks ;)

BTW: DC1MC, nice to see you here again, and don't fear the moderation, I think they have got the message. If not, we should disappear from here.

Hi capt b, I've never left, just become older and less motivated  :-BROKE ^ under this terrible heat, maybe we should meat again to do unspeakable things to my HP spectrum analyzer that collects tons of dust, I think I even have  one of these external memories with goodies, and produce a lot of cool pictures an stories here and on Wunderkiste  ;D

Cheers,
DC1MC

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130910 on: August 31, 2022, 08:53:46 pm »
Oh, regarding my previous post, while having a pee some details of the mentioned "creative methods" came back to my mind:

It's been an old ISA bus PC/AT or PC/386 machine, and the accesses to the dongle (through the printer port at its typical I/O addresses 0x378 or whatever) kind of interfered with the ISA bus sound card. So each time the SW accessed to dongle, one could hear some clicking in the speakers connected to that archaic sound card. It was quite helpful to recognize functions that accessed the dongle while doing some "step over" equivalents in the debugger  8)

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130911 on: August 31, 2022, 08:59:28 pm »

Hi capt b, I've never left, just become older and less motivated  :-BROKE ^ under this terrible heat, maybe we should meat again to do unspeakable things to my HP spectrum analyzer that collects tons of dust, I think I even have  one of these external memories with goodies, and produce a lot of cool pictures an stories here and on Wunderkiste  ;D

Yeah, spent the last two weeks avoiding the heat. It's a bit late now and I should get some sleep - otherwise and in general fully agree. Need to get off my arse for that, that's a hard process but let's go for it.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130912 on: August 31, 2022, 09:00:02 pm »
Also remembered about the Aladdin dongles, while being a solid hw concept, they've screwed the software implementation and every poser and "group" was releasing cracks on "e-donkey", a proto-torrent, does everyone remember it ?

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130913 on: August 31, 2022, 09:08:55 pm »

There were some dedicated "dongle chips" back then. For sure, documentation would have been under NDA. The sophistication level of these chips increased steadily over time ...

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130914 on: August 31, 2022, 09:26:43 pm »
To at least stay a bit on topic, I feel the urgent need to rant about wireless connected TE:

This is a data log from a wireless piece of TE (a precision environmental sensor) that does ambient temperature, relative humidity and air pressure at a surprisingly good accuracy. Vulgo an old TI SensorTag with Bluetooth LE.
It's placed about 1.5m from the receiver unit away within the same room, and still loses data (see the "blank" space at the right hand side of the plot). It's using a very simpe scheme, just broadcasting the sensor values through the BLE beacons, and the receiver side just receiving these beacons, extracting the data and sending them to the logger. No fancy handshaking or whatever, just "broadcast" style. And it's not working reliably at very short distance. Crap that is.

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #130915 on: August 31, 2022, 09:46:09 pm »
Normally it should be easy to open and check the contents. It is not like a RSA SecurID that is rendered inoperable after opening, it wasn't that advanced back in the 90s.

Had to sit out a thunder storm that was not forecasted but came anyway, and then all things get unplugged.

Indeed the dongle is only held together by friction of four pins. With a thin blade it was easy to pry open :)

Speaking about the devil  >:D >:D >:D :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130916 on: September 01, 2022, 02:19:43 am »
So we have a crack?

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #130917 on: September 01, 2022, 02:38:07 am »
So we have a crack?
No; but the the shown documentation make very easy to make one, since is a deep analysis of the Rainbow Pro Sentinel dongle software side.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, pcprogrammer

Offline bsfeechannel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130918 on: September 01, 2022, 04:11:27 am »
So we have a crack?

Multiple cracks, actually.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 04:13:42 am by bsfeechannel »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Vince, capt bullshot, Zoli, m k, pcprogrammer

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130919 on: September 01, 2022, 05:29:03 am »
Eish, that's bad. But expected with how old the part looks to be.

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130920 on: September 01, 2022, 05:50:05 am »
Pretty interesting, what "crack" is supposed to mean in different languages (apart from the technical term)

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crack

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack

at de.wikipedia especially the last one: A person that has excellent skills in one ore more particular fields, but not in the meaning of the urbandictionary record.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130921 on: September 01, 2022, 07:40:08 am »
As long as we are not smoking it :-DD

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #130922 on: September 01, 2022, 09:27:06 am »
I recently passed by a older very precise digital clock with double warm cathode tubes  ;D.

Now the questions:

1. Where is it? (i only know this point, as i passed by, and no, it is not in Germanys)  :)
2. Since when is it running?  ::)

Extra points:
3. How was it controlled in the beginning and how is it controlled today?  :popcorn:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 09:42:43 am by RolandK »
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130923 on: September 01, 2022, 10:18:14 am »
I recently passed by a older very precise digital clock with double warm cathode tubes  ;D.

Now the questions:

1. Where is it? (i only know this point, as i passed by, and no, it is not in Germanys)  :)
2. Since when is it running?  ::)

Extra points:
3. How was it controlled in the beginning and how is it controlled today?  :popcorn:

DCF77? That's been around since 1973.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130924 on: September 01, 2022, 01:13:00 pm »
@Vince - man are you really serious, wtf is happening here, I mean compared with the usual medical reports, "those stinky hobo hams" and the other stuff, your stuff was nice and refreshing in a beginners way, including the fridge timer and components sorting.

Please reconsider, don't let idiots win  :box: !!!
The $64,000 question is..., who might the idiots be then  :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf