Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 16481524 times)

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #101050 on: September 09, 2021, 11:36:33 pm »
Tek  TPS 2024 turned up yesterday.
I knew that the BNC's were missing the Teflon insulation, I knew the batteries were on their last leg, but somehow the seller forgot to mention the LCD was defective...  :bullshit:
At least the inputs seem to be working as intended.

Anyone know of a cheap replacement for the CSTN LCD in this? The original is a Kyocera KCS057QV1AJ-G39, cheapest I've found that looks compatible is 77€ from China.
Also interested if anyone can identify the manufacturer/model of the BNC sockets. I suppose I may be able to pull some Teflon from other types of BNC though.

Well at least now you know why it was cheap ! Get what you pay for etc !  ;D

Maybe don't waste your time and just flog it as is, with a little markup to cover what you paid to get it shipped ?!  ;D

True.
But if I know I can repair it, it's hard to resist, once it has had a bit of attention I'm hoping it will fetch a decent profit.
I'm negotiating with the seller for a refund for the cost of a replacement screen. Then there's still the risk of things going wrong there. (Defective or broken unit from China...)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #101051 on: September 09, 2021, 11:39:06 pm »
TDS210, stripped down, screen desoldered to provide better access and old dodgy BNC sockets removed, new ones ordered. Because of the size of the screen, had to crank up the Duratool desolder gun to 460C get enough heat into it but with a little gentle prying while heating each peg, the screen came away easily. BNC similarly needed plenty of heat and sockets wriggled and pried to extract the pins from the PCB.

Cleaning the board is next process while I await delivery of the new sockets from RS.

Certainly not one of Tek's stellar engineering designs.  ::)
Later 1k and 2k designs incorporated a decent bulkhead BNC yet they still stuck with just a 2 pin socket on the PCB.

However you can improve the TDS200 with a copper strap over the socket and scrape back the GND plane solder mask and solder it all together however you're best to tackle such with a old man sized iron...... and with the additional heat: in, out and done !
The one and only 210 I had got this treatment on the advice of my mentor a Dr of EE whom had seen many of these busted at Uni.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101052 on: September 09, 2021, 11:39:20 pm »
What the hell? Are they just using random word generators or something these days for product names?

And charity names...

"Contact the elderly" gave the idea that it allowed elderly people to remain in touch with each other and part of society. It has been re-branded "Re-engage", which sounds like something out of "Top Gear" or "Star Trek" or a dating agency.

"Royal National Institute for the Deaf" rebranded itself as "Action on Hearing Loss" - and 10 years later has just re-rebranded itself as RNID for obvious reasons.

And never forget "Royal Mail" -> "Consignia" -> "Royal Mail".

I always thought that Consignia sounded like a Spanish lady who had fallen on hard times and had been forced to become a "lady of negotiable affection" in the back alley behind the Post Office.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, shakalnokturn, Neper

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101053 on: September 09, 2021, 11:41:55 pm »
And never forget "Royal Mail" -> "Consignia" -> "Royal Mail".

Wow! That one must have demanded a severe brainstorming strain stroke.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101054 on: September 09, 2021, 11:46:49 pm »
Quick eBay heads up for the UK folks:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290943598396 (2 remaining)

A "Big Pack" of 14 Wera Kraftform 300 series screwdrivers for £46.50 delivered.

The 300 series are this style:

14 off 300 series drivers plus hanging racks, so about £3.32 each for the screwdrivers and call the racks free.

The contents are:

Slotted:

1 x 0.6mm x 3.5mm Slotted x 100mm Lasertip Screwdriver
1 x 0.8mm x 4.0mm Slotted x 100mm Lasertip Screwdriver
1 x 1.2mm x 6.5mm Slotted x 150mm Lasertip Screwdriver
Phillips:

1 x No 1 Phillips x 80mm Lasertip Screwdriver
1 x No 2 Phillips x 100mm Lasertip Screwdriver
1 x No 3 Phillips x 150mm Lasertip Screwdriver
Pozi:

1 x No 1 Pozi x 80mm Lasertip Screwdriver
1 x No 2 Pozi x 100mm Lasertip Screwdriver
1 x No 3 Pozi x 150mm Lasertip Screwdriver
Torx:

1 x TX 10 Torx x 80mm Screwdriver
1 x TX 15 Torx x 80mm Screwdriver
1 x TX 20 Torx x 100mm Screwdriver
1 x TX 25 Torx x 100mm Screwdriver
1 x TX 30 Torx x 115mm Screwdriver
Supplied complete with 2 wall mountable storage racks

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101055 on: September 09, 2021, 11:59:34 pm »
Tek  TPS 2024 turned up yesterday.
I knew that the BNC's were missing the Teflon insulation, I knew the batteries were on their last leg, but somehow the seller forgot to mention the LCD was defective...  :bullshit:
At least the inputs seem to be working as intended.

Anyone know of a cheap replacement for the CSTN LCD in this? The original is a Kyocera KCS057QV1AJ-G39, cheapest I've found that looks compatible is 77€ from China.
Also interested if anyone can identify the manufacturer/model of the BNC sockets. I suppose I may be able to pull some Teflon from other types of BNC though.

Well at least now you know why it was cheap ! Get what you pay for etc !  ;D

Maybe don't waste your time and just flog it as is, with a little markup to cover what you paid to get it shipped ?!  ;D

True.
But if I know I can repair it, it's hard to resist, once it has had a bit of attention I'm hoping it will fetch a decent profit.
I'm negotiating with the seller for a refund for the cost of a replacement screen. Then there's still the risk of things going wrong there. (Defective or broken unit from China...)

Ah yes of course if you can get some money back from the seller to cover for the cost of the replacement screen, then yes it probably makes sense...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #101056 on: September 10, 2021, 12:15:12 am »
That always annoyed me. I named my limited company the most insidious sounding dystopian company name I could possibly come up with just to troll recruiters. And no I'm not posting it here as you can link it right back to me via companies house  :-DD

mnem
*impairing productivity since nineteen mumblety-mumble*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101057 on: September 10, 2021, 01:03:12 am »
Glowing Tek : for those interested in the restoration of the 575 curve tracer I just got, I just started a dedicated thread in the "repair" section of the forum, so you can subscribe to it as otherwise updates about it would be way too easy to miss on TEA...
Plus I get a wider audience this way, potentially, so more helping hands, more advice, more suggestions.. a better chance of making a good job of restoring it.

Started composing the message there at 22H30, now 03H00... 4H30 to create this thread !  :scared:

But well, you only have to do it once, it's good investment. At least all the info is out there, people now know pretty much as much about this thing as I do. The better informed they are, the better they can help... and for those who can't help but are just curious, well they have all the gory details to satisfy their curiosity !

Here it is :  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/tektronix-type-575-curve-tracer-repair-and-restoration/msg3678439/#msg3678439

« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:13:38 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Cubdriver, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, shakalnokturn, beanflying, cyclin_al, syau, BILLPOD, dl6lr

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #101058 on: September 10, 2021, 01:06:35 am »
Glowing Tek : for those interested in the restoration of the 575 curve tracer I just got, I just started a dedicted thread in the "repair" section of the forum, so you can subscribe to it as other wise updates on it would be way to easy to miss on TEA...
Plus I get a wider audience this way, potentially, so more helping hands, more advice, more suggestions.. a better chance of making a good job at restoring it.

Yep I learned that a while ago. But yea, I'm all over it Vince going to check it out now ...  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101059 on: September 10, 2021, 01:14:38 am »
Def a job better done with hot air (and/or a preheater). Good you got lucky and didn't delaminate the GND fill.  :-+

mnem
*hoping for some BBQ in the near future*
I really doubt that you could do that with hot air,  both sides of that PCB around that area have large metal screening cans, I think the heat trapped between the board and the screens would have cooked, and the air may have moved a lot of the SMD parts around the area. In order to remove the other screening can, you first have to remove the one I did.

I was thinking of the hot air as preheating for removing the BNCs, but it would help with the tin too. I've done exactly that job a few times, and it is a bastard; hot air right on the body of the BNC and surrounding fill makes them come loose a lot easier vs just using an iron, and much less chance of delaminating the fill or pulling the vias out with the pins as you actually are working at a lower temperature.

I wasn't slighting your technique; I really felt it was lucky that you didn't damage anything having to crank the heat up like that. It seems these boards with huge fills right on top of delicate bits are almost deliberately made to thwart repair.  :-//

mnem
 :-/O
Oh, I see. However I was being careful about over doing the heating of the GND pads, as the contact section of the desoldering tip is small, I applied loads of fresh solder to form a pool over the pad so I could keep the dwell time to a minimum. The board has now cleaned up nicely and is ready for new ones when they arrive. I also brought some spares in case my own 210 ever needs them replaced and also should I see another going cheaply, they might be needed for that as well. This one is for flipping once its all back together again, they are a good source of income if you get the mix right and the profit will help to offset the recent extra car expenses  ^-^
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101060 on: September 10, 2021, 01:28:53 am »
I also brought some spares in case my own 210 ever needs them replaced and also should I see another going cheaply, they might be needed for that as well. This one is for flipping once its all back together again, they are a good source of income if you get the mix right and the profit will help to offset the recent extra car expenses  ^-^

OK.... so that means you will buy all the decently priced TDS2XX for the coming year until you have finally paid for your cam belt and clutch, is that it ?!  :-DD

So I have to wait a year before it's even worth bothering searching for one  !  :scared:

Would love a TDS 220 or 224 rather than a basic 210. Want the optional " Communications Interface "module at the back of it, too.

That makes the search much more difficult than a simple 210 without the module.

Am in no hurry and plenty other priorities though, so it will have to wait... a few years probalby. Maybe by then prices will have become reasonable...or not !  :palm:

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101061 on: September 10, 2021, 01:30:43 am »
Glowing Tek : for those interested in the restoration of the 575 curve tracer I just got, I just started a dedicted thread in the "repair" section of the forum, so you can subscribe to it as other wise updates on it would be way to easy to miss on TEA...
Plus I get a wider audience this way, potentially, so more helping hands, more advice, more suggestions.. a better chance of making a good job at restoring it.

Yep I learned that a while ago. But yea, I'm all over it Vince going to check it out now ...  :-+

Oh I have at least ONE "follower" ! I am under pressure now, I must work on this restoration so as to create content and pocket Youtube money!!  8)
What ? This isn't Youtube you say ?! No money then ?! Arf... will restore it anyway !  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, cyclin_al

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #101062 on: September 10, 2021, 01:43:09 am »

Oh I have at least ONE "follower" ! I am under pressure now, I must work on this restoration so as to create content and pocket Youtube money!!  8)
What ? This isn't Youtube you say ?! No money then ?! Arf... will restore it anyway !  :-DD

Oh don't worry. Now all the pics and steps are shown together in sequence. You have just attracted hundreds more critical minds that don't frequent this TEA thread.

INCOMING!!!

Don't worry Vince I got your back.  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Vince, mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101063 on: September 10, 2021, 01:43:57 am »
I also brought some spares in case my own 210 ever needs them replaced and also should I see another going cheaply, they might be needed for that as well. This one is for flipping once its all back together again, they are a good source of income if you get the mix right and the profit will help to offset the recent extra car expenses  ^-^

OK.... so that means you will buy all the decently priced TDS2XX for the coming year until you have finally paid for your cam belt and clutch, is that it ?!  :-DD

So I have to wait a year before it's even worth bothering searching for one  !  :scared:

Would love a TDS 220 or 224 rather than a basic 210. Want the optional " Communications Interface "module at the back of it, too.

Am in no hurry and plenty other priorities though, so it will have to wait... a few years probalby. Maybe by then prices will have become reasonable...or not !  :palm:
Trust me you'd be far better served by a TDS2012B like the 2 BD has.
Totally different class to a TDS200.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101064 on: September 10, 2021, 01:54:52 am »
That always annoyed me. I named my limited company the most insidious sounding dystopian company name I could possibly come up with just to troll recruiters. And no I'm not posting it here as you can link it right back to me via companies house  :-DD

Well, I've tracked down a <your initials and name> Funeral Service Ltd in Hemel.  So many ex clients it was worth starting up a sideline business eh? :)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101065 on: September 10, 2021, 01:55:56 am »

But Tautech, I thought it was obvious I didn't care about performance, have much better scopes already, even though they are much older !
I don't care the slightest about more modern Tek scopes... I am only interested in the original TDS 2XX , purely out of nostalgia as I used them in school in 1997 when they hit the market and they bought lots of them for us to try out.  It brings back old fond memories, that is all... it's like keeping a photograph in your wallet of your first G/F or something... it's long gone, but you can't help but think of her fondly.. or not, depends on your particular case, please don't elaborate !  :-DD

So I couldn't care less about newer incarnations of the portable TDS format, because they mean absolutely nothing to me, and I don't like them anyway.

If I am ever in a position to cough enough cash for a modern LCD / portable scope, I think I would rather get a R&S one, only modern scopes I actually like, bar the horrible highly reflective screen but I gather you can correct that by adding a film on top of the LCD. Remember seeing a YT video about that, result was convincing AFAIR.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:58:15 am by Vince »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #101066 on: September 10, 2021, 01:56:59 am »

Enjoy! No rabbit hole is deeper than the HP 3458A one. I will never buy one!  :-DD
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, mansaxel, cyclin_al, syau, duckduck, DH7DN

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101067 on: September 10, 2021, 02:16:29 am »

But Tautech, I thought it was obvious I didn't care about performance, have much better scopes already, even though they are much older !
I don't care the slightest about more modern Tek scopes... I am only interested in the original TDS 2XX , purely out of nostalgia as I used them in school in 1997 when they hit the market and they bought lots of them for us to try out.  It brings back old fond memories, that is all... it's like keeping a photograph in your wallet of your first G/F or something... it's long gone, but you can't help but think of her fondly.. or not, depends on your particular case, please don't elaborate !  :-DD

So I couldn't care less about newer incarnations of the portable TDS format, because they mean absolutely nothing to me, and I don't like them anyway.
Rolls eyes.
Really Vince, a scope is a scope is a scope and even the first I had is now long gone, a D83 that BD lusted after for a while as his mum assembled them at Telequipment probably when BD was just a twinkle in her eye.
He never got to grips with a good one which was a shame as they were a really nice 60 MHz CRO and used the large Tek 7603 CRT that produced traces as sharp as you ever have seen.

Of the many that passed through my hands in them early days a D83 is the only one I would like back and only because its trace was so sharp.
However like BD I've long moved on to a DSO, BD wanted BW so went for a SDS1202X-E whereas I want a few more features so have kept a beta SDS1104X-E and flicked a free SDS1202X-E to my mentor whom gave me the D83 in the first instance.
Nostalgia only holds one back !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101068 on: September 10, 2021, 02:43:10 am »
Yes Tautech, I understand, you are not susceptible to nostalgia, you are a robot, cold heart and all that... I get that !  :-DD

But I am not like that !  ;D  Am I allowed to have sentiments where you don't ?  :-//

It's not that I live in the past, but at least for me, the present factually sucks and the future promises nothing but being 10 times worse, so if I can find a little comfort with my old souvenirs, how is that bad and reprehensible ?!  :-//

Plus it's also that I DO like these little TDS200 ! Just like I love my old glowing Tek scopes ! Not because of their performance, but just because of industrial design.
We did have other scopes at school, like lots of Metrix scopes, these were junk, and I have no desire to get them !

So you see, it's not like I was holding to ANYTHING of my old days just for the sake of it... I also have to actually like the items in some way !  ;D

Actually I don't understand you recurrent hate for old scopes/stuff. I understand you sell new Siglent stuff so are biased, but I like my old stuff, it's good enough for me, why should I force myself to spend money and use some newer device I don't like and don't really need to begin with ?!
It's TEA here, people like to gather old stuff.. do you want them to scrap all their instrument because it's all old " junk " ?!  :-//
I don't get it...  :-//

Should I scrap all my glowing Tek scopes because they don't stand the comparison with your Siglent scopes ?!

It's like 100% missing the point ! I am not a company looking to invest money in a scope for a specific need to complete a particular design project... I am just a hobbyist, I buy stuff that appeals to me that's all ! My scopes do everything I want and need them to do, why should I waste money on a newer scope that I don't even like nor need ?! I am under no obligation to buy anything, I just buy what I like and can afford !

I am sorry my 575 curve tracer does not stand the comparison with a more modern 10.000  or 30.000 dollars Sony/Tek tracer, but I couldn't give a toss about it, I like my 575 and it's going nowhere !

Why do you feel the need to always look down on my old stuff ? It's depressing and mean I find, sorry I am telling it as I see it !  :--
You brought me on TEA yet it looks like you don't  understand why people here buy the old stuff that they buy ?!  :-//

I am confused about your recurrent violent negative reactions about older stuff. This thread is about old stuff, what's the point of complaining about old stuff then ?!

You really confuse me, I am sorry :(

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101069 on: September 10, 2021, 03:02:30 am »
It's all because you said 'photo of your first GF' that he didn't understand you. Now, if you'd said 'photo of your first sheep' he'd be on the same page as you.  >:D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101070 on: September 10, 2021, 03:06:04 am »
Or photo of my first wood plane, chisel or chainsaw or welding rig or shot gun ?!

Yes maybe you are right, I just didn't ring the appropriate bell !  :-//
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:11:10 am by Vince »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #101071 on: September 10, 2021, 03:28:55 am »
*sigh*

Shaving lessons for my son tonight. No way in hell I am old enough to have a kid that age.  :o

mnem
"It's not the years, baby. It's the mileage." ~mom
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: cyclin_al

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #101072 on: September 10, 2021, 03:41:16 am »

Enjoy! No rabbit hole is deeper than the HP 3458A one. I will never buy one!  :-DD

You say that 'NOW'  :-DD Must find some bench space to open mine up and sort out some new RAM modules  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, wolfy007, cyclin_al

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #101073 on: September 10, 2021, 03:50:45 am »

Rolls eyes.
Really Vince, a scope is a scope is a scope and even the first I had is now long gone, a D83 that BD lusted after for a while as his mum assembled them at Telequipment probably when BD was just a twinkle in her eye.
He never got to grips with a good one which was a shame as they were a really nice 60 MHz CRO and used the large Tek 7603 CRT that produced traces as sharp as you ever have seen.

Of the many that passed through my hands in them early days a D83 is the only one I would like back and only because its trace was so sharp.
However like BD I've long moved on to a DSO, BD wanted BW so went for a SDS1202X-E whereas I want a few more features so have kept a beta SDS1104X-E and flicked a free SDS1202X-E to my mentor whom gave me the D83 in the first instance.
Nostalgia only holds one back !  :P

Nope. I can do more for less money with the old stuff. If you're actually putting food on the table with your lab, then you have a point. But I'm not, so I choose older with a chance of service data. :P

Speaking of which, my 16058A test fixture for the 4145B came in. Just waiting for the extra accessories I bought and the triax cables....good old China Post "SpeedPAK" for the latter. I think they really meant "SlowPAK".  :-DD

The 4145B is a perfect example too...no way can I afford modern SMUs and even if I could it would be hard to justify the costs just for hobby use, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 03:52:30 am by 0culus »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, cyclin_al

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #101074 on: September 10, 2021, 04:34:54 am »

You say that 'NOW'  :-DD Must find some bench space to open mine up and sort out some new RAM modules  :palm:

Nope, I'll stick with it's little brother, the 3456A.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf