Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 18229763 times)

Carl_Smith and 38 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #133800 on: April 23, 2023, 09:04:27 pm »

OK I got carried away, I gave my nuts&washers drawer a quick first pass, now almost 22H30 so I call it a productive Sunday.

...snip...

So did you find a suitable BA ? cheesehead* screw, for the snapped off one in the Quad amp?  ::)

*pun not intended

David

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133801 on: April 23, 2023, 09:49:28 pm »
" Cheese head " ?! Lemme Google that quick.... ohhhh.... I see.

Didn't know it had a name.... hopefully I will remember it.

So I guess a BTR screw could also be called a hex cheese head  ?!   :popcorn:

It's funny the Brits gave it a food name, given food isn't exactly their prime interest, and the French who compare anything and everything to food... don't give screws food names...

The world is upside down...

Nope didn't find a BA screw... not that I expected to. The BA ones I remember  salvaging from that TE the other day, were larger diameter ones.

However it took only 30 seconds to find two perfect metric candidates, and matching nuts. Same length, same cheese head, just the nearest size up.
Only a tiny bit larger in diameter. Actually I could engage them in the BA thread in the plate !
But I preferred to drill out the old thread to get a clean hole for the screw to pass through.
I voted to replace both screws for consistency's sake.

Fitted that, then fixed the broken/lifted pads and traces, the amp should be back in business now, at last !  :phew:

Just need to order a couple 4 pin DIN plugs to connect the 303 power amp to the 33 pre-amp, and I think that's about it !

Getting there at long last...

Midnight, going to bed....  :=\
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:54:38 pm by Vince »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #133802 on: April 23, 2023, 10:13:19 pm »
Pan head is another valid term.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Vince

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #133803 on: April 23, 2023, 11:18:21 pm »
Anyone have any cheap tricks (i.e. one chip solutions etc) to get dual rail voltages from a +5V supply? I'm looking for at least -20VDC and +25VDC to power an opamp, current draw is in the mA range (LCD bias, yep still working on the THS700 displays) I can probably measure current draw if needed.

I need something simple and compact (!!!). I'm sure there's something out there... I just need to be pointed in the correct direction.. :)
What about those 1W SIL DC/DC converters, like those from Recom, Murata (formerly Newport), countless others...
They are available with +/-24V outputs from a 5V input and less hassle isn't possible.

Yeah, I found them just after I posted... :D
I'll have to check if they will fit, the small SMD ones look to be 7.5mm tall, maybe too much to fit behind the LCD panel unless I can find somewhere else to locate them using a custom flatflex PCB.
I want to avoid that if at all possible, but I don't have much space available at all...
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133804 on: April 23, 2023, 11:52:09 pm »
Aaand here we see that the recently aquired P5100 x100 probes are working fine!
(Connected to an ugly distorted line voltage as well as doing an FFT of it)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, ch_scr, TERRA Operative

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #133805 on: April 24, 2023, 01:37:27 am »
Nice. I'm on the lookout for a couple P5102 probes, same thing but specific to the THS720P scope.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 05:34:00 am by TERRA Operative »

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133806 on: April 25, 2023, 11:46:13 am »
Bought this one a week ago and now they shipped it:

https://www.banggood.com/Mustool-ET4410-Series-Desktop-Digital-LCR-Meter-Capacitance-Resistance-Impedance-Inductance-Measure-LCR-Bridge-LCR-Meter-p-1984698.html

They also have the East Tester (original?), don't know what's up with the Mustool branding, but right then when I was about to buy it, the East Tester was "unavailable", so I took this one instead. I'm sure it's the same.

The following users thanked this post: duckduck

Offline m k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133807 on: April 25, 2023, 02:47:04 pm »
Before I asked about the 50Hz version last night, I had a search of the web of 5221A & 5321A, but couldn't find pictures of the 50Hz version.

I did however find some of the 003 crystal timebase option.
There is quite a bit more to add for that, two aluminium brackets, an edge connector & associated wiring loom and the crystal timebase PCB.

The devider board is much smaller in its real environment, and that insulation tube is even smaller than that.

I didn't mean recreating the 003, more like just an alternative to mains frequency, here 1/10Hz max drift, no idea what is the average.
And since you eventually, when all others are done, start looking what else there can be you've overlooked earlier and so the missing digit will come up again.

The mounting pad was totally out of the loop, even the center hole was not that.
I even thought that pin 1 locator was a push something for some sort of a spring tap thing in the center.
For a moment I had a doubt since keeping the thing steady was sort of not there.
Wrong direction is a wrong direction.

One more from the past,
edge connectors were repaired of course.
The method was imbedding but can't remember more and it was not available in the country.
But some odd or old things were available, supported machines had to be supported.
Like core memory and removable harddisk stacks.
Advance-Aneng-Appa-AVO-Beckman-Danbridge-Data Tech-Fluke-General Radio-H. W. Sullivan-Heathkit-HP-Kaise-Kyoritsu-Leeds & Northrup-Mastech-OR-X-REO-Simpson-Sinclair-Tektronix-Tokyo Rikosha-Topward-Triplett-Tritron-YFE
(plus lesser brands from the work shop of the world)

Offline Floopy

• Regular Contributor
  • I'm going to need another oscilloscope to fix that
« Reply #133808 on: April 26, 2023, 06:06:05 pm »
Hello, didn't want to make a new thread for this.
My university recently dumped 50+ years of operating and service manuals out the door and I found a few I can't find online. I know where to upload the Tektronix stuff (TekWiki), but I don't know where to upload any of the Fluke and HP manuals? Anyone know a website that hosts these type of files?

There's a lot more than what's just in the picture by the way.

Thanks,

The following users thanked this post: Gertjan, Neomys Sapiens, ch_scr, factory, TERRA Operative, AVGresponding, duckduck, m k

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #133809 on: April 26, 2023, 06:12:43 pm »
My university recently dumped 50+ years of operating and service manuals out the door and I found a few I can't find online. I know where to upload the Tektronix stuff (TekWiki), but I don't know where to upload any of the Fluke and HP manuals? Anyone know a website that hosts these type of files?

Thanks,

For test equipment...
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=manuals
https://bama.edebris.com/
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Floopy

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133810 on: April 26, 2023, 07:07:34 pm »

Thanks,
Any CLIP / Repair / Service manual for HP 44701A (a plugin card for the HP 3852A system) in there by any chance?

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133811 on: April 26, 2023, 07:29:08 pm »
Well done for saving the manuals  :-+, hopefully some useful stuff amongst the lot.
A few I've not seen anywhere are HP 3481A, 5090B and H20-1405A.

The 8601A should be of interest to someone, no paper manuals for that one on ePay, manuals for popular equipment always sell.

David

The following users thanked this post: ch_scr

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133812 on: April 27, 2023, 09:58:57 am »

Thanks,

Apart from the specific sites mentioned, https://archive.org/ is _the_ archive on the Internet.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133813 on: April 29, 2023, 11:41:58 am »
Anritsu OSLN50LF Open/Short/Match calibration device with calibration protocol - at 63€ practically a steal. Especially as my Sitemaster lacked one.

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #133814 on: April 29, 2023, 12:12:46 pm »
Got me some things for my THS720 scopes...

A621 current clamps. Roughly $200 for the set in two purchases. They look almost brand new and work perfectly. One was a bare clamp, the other came with the instructions and the BNC to Banana adapter.

You can still buy them new too, check out what they cost!  :o

I'll probably keep the best one along with the accessories and sell the other as 'tested working' unless there's any compelling reason to use two current clamps at once?

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133815 on: April 29, 2023, 01:03:50 pm »
Nice, haven't got any modern current clamps here, must start searching for one & the higher voltage probes.

Can't check the price as I'm being geo-blocked by Mouser.  :bullshit:

David
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 01:06:03 pm by factory »

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #133816 on: April 29, 2023, 01:13:29 pm »
If you have US$1000, you'll also need to forgo your next coffee to afford one.

:o

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #133817 on: April 29, 2023, 02:35:56 pm »
So I just adjusted my Fluke 337 AC/DC clamp meter on my Yokogawa 2558 AC Volt/Current calibrator (It needed it after many years bouncing around a tool bag back when I was an erectrician) and I accidentally took a family photo of all my current clamps. :D

I have to source the bucking coil option for the CT-4, a local place has one in an original box (basically the entire setup minus the CT-4) for cheap, so that will be mine soon enough. :)

Anyone know where to buy Fluke parts online or otherwise easily? Idiots who calibrated this 337 last stripped a screw and replaced it with a random one  >:( also, the rubber buttons are losing their labels... If I could get a few spare parts, I could get this thing all shiny again.  :-/O  :-DMM
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 03:15:25 pm by TERRA Operative »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Neomys Sapiens, Zoli

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133818 on: April 29, 2023, 03:30:30 pm »
Anritsu OSLN50LF Open/Short/Match calibration device with calibration protocol - at 63€ practically a steal. Especially as my Sitemaster lacked one.

Neat! And calibrated/checked too. Dare I ask where you bought it?

Wilko

Offline Black Phoenix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133819 on: April 29, 2023, 05:08:43 pm »
So I just adjusted my Fluke 337 AC/DC clamp meter on my Yokogawa 2558 AC Volt/Current calibrator (It needed it after many years bouncing around a tool bag back when I was an erectrician) and I accidentally took a family photo of all my current clamps. :D

I have to source the bucking coil option for the CT-4, a local place has one in an original box (basically the entire setup minus the CT-4) for cheap, so that will be mine soon enough. :)

Anyone know where to buy Fluke parts online or otherwise easily? Idiots who calibrated this 337 last stripped a screw and replaced it with a random one  >:( also, the rubber buttons are losing their labels... If I could get a few spare parts, I could get this thing all shiny again.  :-/O  :-DMM

Tell me what you need, I may be able to get them in Shenzhen. Send me a PM.

The following users thanked this post: TheGrave

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133820 on: April 29, 2023, 06:41:35 pm »

Wilko
Ebay.de. I even slept through the auction!
 :-//

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133821 on: April 29, 2023, 06:54:56 pm »

Wilko
Ebay.de. I even slept through the auction!
 :-//

Nice score! I was wondering if I missed something on Kleinanzeigen 😎

Offline Vince

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133822 on: April 29, 2023, 07:35:18 pm »
Hell I finally got a manual for the 416B after all !
.... No PDF online, but strangely on Ebay I found no less than 4 original paper manuals for it !
3 in the US for a fair price but obviously expensive shipping but.... the 4th and last one was in Europe, yeah !
Not in the EU though, sadly... in the UK. But only 5 quid or so ! And only 5 quid for shipping.

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/115081598875

So for 10 quid I will receive that manual.. I can afford that...
Of course I may have to pay customs and shit, but calculated on a 10 quid basis, it can't amount to much can it....

There shouldn't be any customs due, TE manuals are 0% rate if listed in the correct category, also for below 100 euro-ish the fees (if any) are collected by ePay during checkout, a requirement of the EU & UK for imports.

Did you take any pictures of the underneath? virtually nothing on these that I can find, would be interesting to see why it needed such a big case.

David

Well it didn't quite happen like that sadly  >:(

Post girl knocked on my door this morning to deliver the manual.... and asked me for a 9 Euro ransom ! She was holding my manual hostage ! :rant:
Luckily I had some change so I could pay on the spot and get my manual right here.

So that 4 Quid manual cost me twice that in customs.... not sure I will be doing business with the UK any more...  :-BROKE

21 Euros total for the manual.... still a fair price overall I guess, but still.

Nice foldout schematics, block diagram, theory of operation, parts list.... I can work on these puppies now. Well, I mean, I have no use for them so I am not going to go too crazy about troubleshooting time and money wise, but at least I would like to check the power supply and try to get it to pass a sanity check like, display 100% on the scale when I feed both inputs with the same signal.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 07:38:22 pm by Vince »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133823 on: April 29, 2023, 09:09:04 pm »
Last manuals I got were £26 each from the US, manuals are zero rated for VAT in the UK https://www.gov.uk/guidance/zero-rating-books-and-printed-matter-for-vat-notice-70110 I've been charged many times before, before I found that out, must challenge it if I get charged again.

Looks like France is either 5.5% or 20% from what I can find on the web. Isn't ebay supposed to collect this in the EU too?

Seems to be a common problem, https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/VAT-charged-twice/td-p/32190832
Maybe there is a way to claim it back, but only if you got a receipt for the second VAT payment.

David

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133824 on: April 29, 2023, 09:50:40 pm »
Thank you to Vince for the front cover & mesh filter for the Tek 453  :-+, the two probes in the cover are working fine too, just need to find some more "witches hats" for them & some of the other probes here.

Spot the bit I didn't ask for, as I hadn't noticed it wasn't there on my 453.  |O Think I can probably make or find something.

David
« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 09:52:47 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Vince, Specmaster, ch_scr, TERRA Operative

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf